Inder's shaadi lasted only 5 months

sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Inder Kumar as he looks now
When actor Inder Kumar suddenly decided to tie the knot with Sonal Kariya, daughter of film publicist Rajoo Kariya in 2003, it took the industry by surprise.

The marriage lasted barely five months; Inder and Sonal have been separated for over two years, but the official divorce papers are yet to come through.

What is shocking is that when Inder walked out of the relationship, wife Sonal was pregnant. And he has not yet seen his baby daughter, who is now over a year old.

Sonal speaks out

Though Inder is on a celluloid high with his forthcoming flick, Aryan, his personal life is another story.

Inder Kumar during his early acting days
Says a reticent Sonal, speaking for the first time after the break-up, "Yes, it's true that my marriage to Inder was over within five months. After that, he has had no interaction with my family or our baby daughter. We had a sudden marriage and our separation was also very sudden. He has not yet seen the baby. I don't want to say anything more."

What went wrong with the marriage? Says Sonal's father, Rajoo, "I guess certain things are just not meant to be. I don't want to blame anyone. It takes two hands to clap and two to make a relationship work. Inder will always have my good wishes with him."

Mentor became pa-in-law

It is learnt that when Inder Kumar Saraf (his full name), a Marwari from Kolkata, came to Mumbai looking for a break in films, Rajoo became his mentor and introduced him to filmmakers.

"Yes, I knew Inder for 10 years, since the day he first landed in Mumbai. It was he who expressed a desire to wed my daughter.

He was part of the household. In that sense, Sonal knew who he was. We had a lavish wedding at a hotel in Juhu. Around the time Sonal realised she was pregnant, Inder's mother passed away. I had told him that if he had a baby girl, we would name her Bhavna - his mother's name."

Named after his mother

Though the Kariyas have named the baby Bhavna (her nickname is Khushi), why hasn't Inder seen his daughter, "That's his wish. It was he who asked for her hand in marriage; it was he who decided to separate.

His daughter is being looked after by me; she lives in my house. But she is his blood.

Saying anything against Inder means I am saying things against my own daughter and granddaughter.

Yet, I hold no grudges against him. I hope his film career takes off and I wish him success," says Kariya, co-producer of the film Madhubala, inspired by the Madhur Bhandarkar-Pretti Jaiin episode, starring Gurpreet Singh and Kanishka Sodhi.

'I repented my hasty marital plunge'

Chaitanya Padukone

(L-R) Rajoo Kariya, Salman Khan, Inder Kumar and Sonal
Inder Kumar, who faded into oblivion after playing the villain in Salman Khan-starrer Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge, and as Mihir in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, is set to make a comeback with Sohail Khan-starrer Aryan, in which he plays a boxing champ.

Actor-turned-director Abhishek 'Gattu' Kapoor (Ekta Kapoor's first cousin) is excited with his casting decision. "It will be pleasant surprise for audiences to note cool dude Inder's makeover on screen, as a boxer.

Besides having a terrific body, he is amazing in his actions. He even cries bitterly in the film, during emotional scenes," says Kapoor.
Earlier, he acted in films like Masoom, Ek Tha Dil, Ek Thi Dhadkan, Khatron Ke Khiladi, Gajagamini, Partho Ghosh's Maseeha and Mahesh Manjrekar's Hathyar.

Inder was romantically linked with Ishaa Koppikar before marrying Sonal Kariya. What went wrong with the marriage? "It was over within three months, and I am not in touch with the girl's family for the last two years," says the actor. "That was the worst phase of my life, and I repented my hasty marital plunge. Now I am single again."