'Shivpatni Saibai': Book on Saibai

IntrovertedDame thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago
So I was just looking at some articles about Shivaji and Saibai's interpersonal relationship. Not just for the romantic aspect of it, but also for an insight into what makes great emperors like Shivaji Maharaj tick. History does tell us about their achievements and conquests, but I'd like to know about the silent figures like Saibai lurking in the background of their lives, supporting their convictions and encouraging them when needed. Deconstructing historiography, or the way history is studied, so to speak.

Apparently there's a book called "Shivpatni Saibai"😊 written by Dr. Sadashiv Shivade.

About the book, it says:

" There have been many accomplishing and successful women in the Maratha history who had been contributed directly or indirectly for the eventful image of the royal administration.As the royal mother Jijabai had an important part in the tenure of Shivaji Maharaj,wife Saibai also played vital part in his life.

This historic literature depicts the political and interpersonal relations of Shivaji Maharaj and Saibai which also proves that behind every successful man there exists a woman.It has contributions of Saibai along with her interactions with her husband Shivaji,father-in-law Sahaji,mother-in-law Jijabai. This book also displays the character sketch of Saibai with the details of her birth till the end of her life."

Source: http://www.sahyadribooks.org/books/shivpatnisaibai.asp?bid=323

What I wouldn't do to get my hands on that book!😛 But it's in Marathi, so I wouldn't understand it anyway.😉

Edited by Amri174 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IntrovertedDame thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

And also some biographical details of Saibai, from a website chronicling Shivaji's life. Apparently, she had three daughters other than her son, Sambhaji.

"Shivpatni Sai Bai

Maharani Sai Bai was from the Naik Nimbalkar dynasty. She was the second daughter of Mudhojiraje Naik Nimbalkar and the sister of Naik Bajaji Nimbalkar of Phaltan.Sai Bai's mother Reubai was from the Shirke dynasty. In year 1630 Mudhojirao ruled Phaltan.Before that he was in the Adishah prison on Satara Fort. Shahaji Raje help him to escape, so he gave his daughter Saibai to Shivaji Raje.The marriage took place in Pune. Saibai had three daughters Sakavarbai or Sakhubai (born in 1651), Ranubai (born in 1653), Amanika or Ambikabai (born in 1655) and one son Sambhaji Raje (born on Purandar Fort in 14th May 1656). Sakhubai married Bajaji Nimbalkar's son Mahadaji in year 1657. Ranubai married in Jadhav family. Amanika or Ambikabai married Harjiraje Mahadik in year 1668.At the time of Sambhaji Raje's birth, Sai Bai was ill and her illness ultimately caused her death. To ensure that the newborn child Sambhaji survived, Rajmata Jijau arranged Dharai Gade Patil as a milk mother. Saibai's Vrindavan took place on Rajgad Fort."

Source: http://rajeshivaji.webs.com/shivajifamily.htm

It's nice to know that all these sources refer to her as "Shivpatni Saibai", suggesting that she was one of the primary figures in his life. Nice, right?😊

Edited by Amri174 - 12 years ago
freakingly_mad thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
wow..thank u so much for the info..its really gr8 knowing saibai :)
swethasyam08 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
thanks a lot for the info!

Swetha
Pina11colada thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
if anyone gets this book, can they scan the first few pages?
i really dont understand marathi..but still i wanna try reading it..i can just understand the basic marathi that is spoken.
RoseFairy thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
please give some glimpse of sai bai's life from this book as i am not able to read the book now