without-fathom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Hello everyone!

Before I start off on today - so happy to have a huge turnout from the viewers on the previous discussion thread, and hoping for the trend to continue. To those I couldn't reply back, I had a rather unexpected turn of events this week, that kept me away from internet for the most.

And now moving on to today. Which, sadly, was somewhat a disappointment after what I had thought was a more promising opening last week.

My individual takes:

Manish P. - I'm going to repeat, his voice is raw, and the whole amateur in need of training does become evident through the span of his song, but to his advantage, he actually gives a beat to some much better singers in this competition merely by singing dil se! For a singing novice like himself, he doesn't hold back on the 'spirit' to sing, and it gets you in the mood, if nothing else! Pretty much in agreement with his scores with the judges. Side note - his daughter is so, so adorable! Did you watch her break into that smile as he sung 'Darling' to her, like aww, aww, aww! Manish such a TRP winner on the stage โ˜บ๏ธ

Manasi P. - Undoubtedly, the star and rockstar of the day. One of my favorite Nusratji songs of all times, ever since the first time I heard it on Bend It Like Beckham, years ago! For a melody that originally has a far more Sufi-sh Punjabi feel to it, Mansi gave it a whole new flavor - and how! ๐Ÿ‘ I have to confess having a personal incline towards the Sufi-Punjabi genre of music, and especially the vocals that are customary of that kind, and I give extra credit to Mansi at that, for having done away with that touch, yet rendered such justice within her own forte! Her modulation, the dips and peaks - oh so flawless! I'm going to try and not wonder why Anu Malik cut off that 1 mark - because my longer time wonder has been about the consistency with which he gets all this music show judging assignments!

Sachin P. - Yet another favorite track! And yet again well done. For me, Sachinji started off with a perfect! The whole variation of tones required in that opening bit was done so well, I'd pit it up against the original and might just give it a vote up. Somewhere midway, I thought the mood mellowed somewhat, but overall, it was pretty well done. Better than his scores I think - not to mention how thoughtful I find his choice of song here. Very apt for his style and voice. Side note - his kick off to the tribute for Jagjit Singh in the end was so heartfelt. I have long maintained Sachinji as a successful artist - who aspires not for ambitions, but for creative satisfaction. In an unbelievably pure manner for the industry!

Sumit R. - Oh he was brilliant. A very hard song - add the extremely slow melody which always makes singing in sur a lot harder, and being caught missing notes a lot easier - Sumit was phenomenal. If anyone, today he was Mansi's strongest competitor, and so much better rehearsed than last time - when also, I had thought him as damn decent. He was right into his song, created the mood and sang in such a flow - ๐Ÿ‘ I see him going a long way, if fair is the yardstick. Side note - The red and black was so much better than his last outfit. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Ragini K. - Sigh. A let down, for all my defense of her last week. I remember saying then, how her deep gut vocals were such a huge bonus to her case, as far as my personal bias was concerned, and I thought all the more so today, when she chose the higher octave. I know many people around here were saying how she was fantastic with this song in general, but I'm going to echo Alisha all the way and say, it was such a wrong choice! I've realized that for me her USP truly is her deeper voice - the kind she used last time. And I just have to add that in what I perceive very uncharacteristic of her, her notes were actually shaky - like she was nervous! Which I find hard to believe, tbh ๐Ÿค” I'm just going to hope she bounces back and makes up many times over in the weeks to come. Today needs to be buried and forgotten.

Vikas B. - Another sigh. Why, why did he go out and chose such a powerful Palash number, is he's innately such a 'soft' singer? Euphoria's out and out USP has been the power and absolute gutted emotion that Palash wrecks into their songs - and Vikas, like Manasi tried his hand at giving it a whole different touch, by toning it down greatly and putting it out as a soft love melody - unlike Manasi however, this attempt failed for me. Miserably - coming out as something half hearted, and under confident. One of my favorite songs, and I was just disappointed with his execution...

Chavi M. - I take my word back from last time. Maybe this is the best she can do - and it wasn't nervousness at all, but genuine lack of training. Chavi has her good moments - which were the high notes today - she did, last time too, but overall, she's a very passable singer. Not too mention she tried way too hard to bring in a 'mood' to the song today, which for me counter worked.

Neha M. - More or less the same as Chavi. I don't see what she can do to improve about her decent but untrained voice with only days to rehearse each song. The gap between these girls and the likes of other trained contestants is so obvious - I think Manish is the only exception as an amateur mostly on account of how he doesn't really go out there and try too hard, but just enjoys performing! Natural is the best flavor, after experience. Side note - Did she look not so surprised to see her fiance to anyone other than me?! ๐Ÿค” I did like her dress tons though =) And, she did not deserve to have the same score as Debi.

Debina Bonnerjee - I'm going to say nothing except that she had better be the first one to go, far more for her own sake, than anybody else's.

---
Side notes on Precap for tomorrow:

Ragini looks GORGEOUS! I desperately hope she makes up for today's disaster.
So excited for Manasi's song - her performance ends too soon for me! There should an encore process ๐Ÿ˜†
Himesh Reshamiya is a guest for tomorrow?! ๐Ÿค” Does Zee realize the judges are technically supposed to be 'up' on the contestants they judge?
---

Looking forward to everyone's opinions,
xx
JZee
Edited by JZephyr - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

infinity00 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I am kind of sad for Ragini, she tried too hard I guess as during practice she was good, it happens with everybody sometimes when you try too hard to give your best you end up being your natural and dont do justice. I am pretty sure knowing her that she will bounce back InshAllah.
428419 thumbnail

Originally posted by: venture

I am kind of sad for Ragini, she tried too hard I guess as during practice she was good, it happens with everybody sometimes when you try too hard to give your best you end up being your natural and dont do justice. I am pretty sure knowing her that she will bounce back InshAllah.

Just like you're bouncing right now in excitement to meet Ragini tomorrow at Wembley๐Ÿ˜ƒI seriously pray you get to meet her..i messaged Ragini about you but she hasnt replied..I really hope you get to meet her somehow๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Jzee..I didnt watch today's episode so wouldnt be able to contribute in the post..Can someone give updates about the songs everyone sang?๐Ÿ˜Š
incandescence thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Waitt...Manasi sang a Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's song? And she got 19?! Ohkk...which song did she sing?
infinity00 thumbnail

Originally posted by: .sb.

Just like you're bouncing right now in excitement to meet Ragini tomorrow at Wembley๐Ÿ˜ƒI seriously pray you get to meet her..i messaged Ragini about you but she hasnt replied..I really hope you get to meet her somehow๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Jzee..I didnt watch today's episode so wouldnt be able to contribute in the post..Can someone give updates about the songs everyone sang?๐Ÿ˜Š

where did you send the message!! does she answered you before.
Maz. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Still have to watch Manish and Sachin's performance.. but baaki sab mein.. I liked Sumeet and Manasi's the best...I have no idea about sur aur taal...but there is something in their voices which connects well..

I think Chavi was the second good performance today among the girls after Manasi...

@incandescence: She sang 'tere bin nahin lagda dil mera dholna'

Edited by Maz. - 13 years ago
infinity00 thumbnail
I heard Ragini,s song, she started really well but I guess when once she missed it she tried to catch it and then she couldnt , I share her dissapointment as she herself is a perfectionist, she would not want to continue herself if she thinks she is no up for it. By the way, she was looking Stunning both in the episode and the p recap for tomorrow !
mjtruelegend thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Reading your comments, I am feeling nervous about watching the clip of her singing. I SOOO WISH TO tell her tomorrow that "Ragini, why do you make things hard for yourself? Pick a simpler song next time and then gradually build up to difficult songs"

Should I ask how many points she got?

without-fathom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
@all Ragini fans - No disputing her talent. Yesterday just needs to be wiped clean from record. Maybe I was also hoping extra from a song everyone said she had sung before for SBS or something and done so much justice to - in the end, she was so so much better last week, I'd put her at the top then, alongside Manasi, even given her an edge which was highly debated ๐Ÿ˜† Anyway, I'm sure she ain't going anywhere out soon, so she has tons of occasions and times to make up.

@sb - Okay, so I'm not sure I still remember who all sang what, but here go the ones I remember, if you still haven't watched:
Manasi (tere bin nain lagda dil mera)
Sumit (tum jo mil gaye ho)
Sachin (pyaar hume kis mod pe le aya)
Ragini (lag ja gale)
Chavi (raat akeli hai)
Vikas (Maaeri)
Manish (Soniyo)
Neha (thoda sa pyaar hua hai)
Debi (zara zara mehekta hai)

@incandescence aka 'candy' from now until I know your name?! =) DId you hear her yet? I didn't think I'd ever root so much for an altered version of a Sufi=Punjabi track, but she did so much justice to the end!

@Maz - you're right, Chavi was actually 2nd best from the girls, although in the overall ranks she'd be lower for me. Like I said above, I think she tried too hard to bring in the nazakat and actually lost subtlety to that...

@mjhtruelegend - did you watch yet?

incandescence thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I just caught a repeat...Manasi was the best...no one can argue taht. I don't doubt Manasi's talent but I was bittt apprehensive after knowing the song she chose to sing yesterday...but she was fabulous...flawless...I was amazed to see how easily she sang that song...and how confident she was while singing it. It's such a difficult songs...there are so many rhythmic changes...but she didn't miss a note...amazing! I hope she continue to sing this well...sky high expectations here. Baki the rest of the girls were AWFUL...plain awful.

Sumit and Sachin were good...Sumit specially...he seems more serious about singing...he's good. Manish and Vikas were average.

Edit

JZ...No, no, no, no, NO...DON'T call me that. Shorten my ID any other way you want to or call me Mash...don't call me that.
Edited by incandescence - 13 years ago