Jennifer Winget interview

nelreen thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
'I don't think about tomorrow'

A person who believes in going with the flow, Jennifer Winget tells PREMA K that she wouldn't ever change her real name..

Which are your serials on air?
I have 'Kasauti ...' in which I play Sneha, Prerna and Anurag's daughter. I've just got married. Sneha is very mature, responsible and very close to her parents. You could call her the ideal daughter.

Do you relate to her?
A lot! Like her, I'm also very close to my parents. Like me, she too is fond of reading. I can also add that I'm very understanding and mature (laughs).

Which are the serials before this?
I've done 'Koi Dil Mein Hain', 'Kkusum', 'Kartika', and 'Kahiin To Hoga'.

So one could easily call you a Balaji girl!
Yeah, you could say that.

What have you done before this?
I've been working since I was 12. I did a film, 'Raja Ko Rani Se Pyaar Ho Gaya' as a child star. I played Abhishek Bachchan's sister in 'Kuch Na Kaho'. I also did 'Shaka Laka Boom Boom' and a lot of ads. I was enjoying it a lot and decided to make acting my career. It's like the acting bug hit me.

Considering you've done a couple of films, what prompted you to enter television?
I started getting good offers on television. So I decided to start with it. I was also very young and in no rush to start with films. I was only 17 when I did my first serial, 'Koi Dil Mein Hain'. Maybe I'll do films later. I haven't approached anyone for work. By God's grace, I've always been offered work and hope it remains that way.

How did Balaji discover you?
I sent my pictures to them. I got a call from them and went for an audition. Ekta offered me 'Koi Dil...'. Then it was one show after the other.

She is reputed to be a tough taskmaster, especially with newcomers!
It's never happened with me. She's a very intelligent woman and has always been good to me.

Which serial has been your favourite, so far?
(Laughs) I don't know. I played different characters in each one of them and enjoyed all of them. I got the same high from all the shows.

But surely one character stands out from the rest!
Maybe it's 'Kartika' because I played the main lead in it. This gave me an opportunity to do a lot more and it revolved around me. But I still wouldn't call it my favourite. You could say that it's very close to my heart.

Any dream role?
Rani Mukherjee's role in 'Black'. That was awesome.

Looking back, what changes do you find in yourself as an actor?
I have grown a lot in the past few years. I was always very nervous on the sets initially being surrounded by so many experienced actors. Gradually I gained confidence by just observing them. Now I've started understanding characters better. I can imagine myself in their shoes and perform better.

An actress with a Catholic name is uncommon in this industry!
(Laughs) I know what you're talking about. But my Hindi is very good. My mom is a Punjabi. I'm a Marathi-speaking Catholic so I'm very good at Marathi. I know the audience likes to relate to a Pooja or any Hindi sounding name.

Have you ever thought of having a screen name?
I love my name and would never change it for anything in the world.

Are there any other projects in the pipeline?
Not as of now. But I don't think about tomorrow. I believe in going with the flow. I want to do good work.

What is your definition of good work?
A good character and serial. The banner should also be good. Touchwood! But I've always got offers from good banners. I don't know about the others but I'm very happy working with Balaji. So I don't go looking for work. I don't know what I'd do if a good offer from another banner came my way.

What do you do on your free days?
I sleep, watch TV, read and love staying at home. I'm a very boring person (laughs).

Recently you were said to be having a huge crush on Ronit Roy?
(Laughs) I'm so sick of saying it all the time that it's not true. I don't know how it all started but it's all made up stories.

Do these stories affect you?
Not at all! My parents know what I'm doing and they trust me. So I don't care for this kind of gossip.

How do you want to see yourself five years from now?
I don't know what I'll do tomorrow so what's five years (laughs). I want to get money, name, and fame. I don't want people asking me my name. I don't see myself being married. I've told myself that there'll be no marriage for the next 5-6 years at least.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bunnyboo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!! 👏
priya the sweet thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thanx dear for sharing n welcome to IF
aadorboseroy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
😆
Edited by aadorboseroy - 18 years ago
~Poonam~ thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
smartypant thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
thanks 4 sharing and welcome to IF. Hope you will have fun here. 😊
~Poonam~ thumbnail
welcome to if.
mai ek pagal ho😆
~Poonam~ thumbnail

lekin yeh to new hai ise nahi pata. i was going to say welcome to pagal khana. but i think it will hert people's feeling that why i didn't say even i am kidding.

maha khan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
no u can say that it is pagal khana n u r our head 😆