Family ordeal: Rajkumar Santoshi

sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

'Family - Ties Of Blood' is the latest flick out of the closet of the ace filmmaker Rajkumar Santoshi, who has little to prove his talents after a long list of hit and quality films from him. The director is acclaimed for Ghayal, Andaz Apna Apna, Damini, Ghatak, Pukar, Lajja, The Legend Of Bhagat Singh and Khakee among many others. Likewise his recent release is also much anticipated. We talk to him about the controversies revolving the film and his take on them.

Excerpts from the Interview:

Your film 'Family' has got into some ordeal. Do you agree with it?

The film has got unnecessarily stretched into some controversies that came from nowhere. Amitabh Bachchan got involved in the matter of the hoardings with no fault of his.

But didn't the posters breach the anti-tobacco rules?

I was never aware of any such rules in my span of filmmaking. Being a filmmaker I said Amitabhji to do what was needed to create the impact of the role. Other than that nothing else was of concern to me. I don't know why he is being pulled into the whole issue.

Was puffing a cigarette the real need for the role?

He plays a negative character and a don in the film. Obviously he cannot chew chocolate here. So cigar was used as a prop to make him look like the real underworld don.

But some laws have been passed recently about the anti smoking stance on the screen.

If we had been aware about any such thing a year ago, such scene wouldn't have arisen. This particular shot was taken a year ago. Later we used it as a promo.

With the implementation of the rule, has your creativity go hampered?

Definitely it has. I'm using a cigar here to enhance a character, it is not the character itself.

Amitabh Bachchan name was stretched because he is believed to be the icon of the nation and there are many who emulate him.

It depends. People won't become a coolie, don, cop or anything that he plays on the screen. Because he flaunts a cigar it doesn't necessarily mean that many will take to it. If he holds a gun its not necessary that his fans will hand one too. As per the requirement of his character he might need to do many things.

Recently we also heard that Amitabh Bachchan didn't spare enough time for the dubbing of the film?

Some shoots were to be done. But right now I don't want to create ant fuss talking about it.

What are the other films that you plan to do now?

I'll be working on two films now.  I plan to direct a comedy and I'm yet to decide the starcast. Another one will be a musical with Ajay Devgan and Salman Khan.