Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

P.Kamaljit.Sean thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago

British R&B singer/songwriter Jay Sean is notable for being one of the first British-Asian crossover stars and also for his international popularity. Born Kamaljit Singh Jhooti on March 26, 1981, in the London borough of Hounslow, he began rapping at age 11 and eventually switched to R&B music, in part because of his Indian heritage, which made it difficult for him to break into the British rap scene. Sean was signed in 2003 by 2Point9, an all-in-one entertainment company whose roster is comprised of British Asian artists such as Rishi Rich, and he made his recording debut late in the year with "Dance with You (Nachna Tere Naal)." Produced by Rishi Rich and featuring fellow 2Point9 artist Juggy D, "Dance with You (Nachna Tere Naal)" became a major hit in the United Kingdom, reaching number 12 on the singles chart. In the wake of his debut single's success, Sean was offered a lucrative major-label recording contract with Virgin Records. He accepted the offer and opted to drop out of Queen Mary's School of Medicine and Dentistry, where he was studying to become a doctor. Me Against Myself (2004), his debut album, became a Top 30 hit in the U.K., spawning a pair of Top Ten hit singles ("Eyes on You," "Stolen"); plus, the album became an even bigger hit in India, where it was a chart-topping success and went multi-platinum, thanks in part to Sean's appearance in the Bollywood film Kya Kool Hain Hum (2005). Despite his international success, Sean was dropped by Virgin Records and released his second album, My Own Way (2008), independently via 2Point9 Records. Though its release date was pushed back repeatedly because of Internet leaks, My Own Way debuted at number six on the U.K. albums chart, a significant improvement over his last album, which had been released by a major label. The album spawned a couple U.K. Top 20 hits, "Ride It" and "Maybe," the former of which also charted internationally in countries including Poland, Portugal, Romania, and Bulgaria. The focus would turn towards America in 2009 when Sean signed with the Cash Money label. The relationship kicked off with the single "Down" featuring special guest and label mate Lil Wayne. The track would land on Sean's album All or Nothing released in November of that year. In late 2010 the single "2012 (It Ain't the End)" announced the coming of his 2011 album Freeze Time. ~ Jason Birchmeier, Rovi

For a minute there, Jay Sean was living the "fast life." After trekking across the country with the newly solo Joe Jonas and a reinvented JoJo, Sean and his crew wrapped up their tour on Thursday night in New York City.The singer stopped by the MTV News offices to reflect on the outing just hours before he took the stage. "I mean, you know what the funny thing is, you wouldn't have thought to put us three together," he said of the "triple J's." "JoJo's great 'cause she's like the girl-power thing. And then me and Joe, the best thing about me and Joe being together, not only are the majority of our fans young girls, we have this overlap of fans. That's how we put this tour together. We're like, 'You know, man? It makes sense.' "

While the trio didn't get to have much downtime together, they did manage to squeeze in some fun here and here. "It's been so crazy," he said. "It's been so hectic. [But] we've had fun along the way."

Sean had some kind words for his tourmates just as they were prepping to say goodbye to one another. "Well, JoJo's a fantastic vocalist and she really brings it. I think that's always nice to watch and witness someone just sing really well," he said.

"There's a lot of changes in [Joe's] set and things his fans are getting really excited about," he continued. "The slightest knee jerk from him and they go crazy. He's got a nice, well-put-together show. For me, as a fan of music, I love going when I have a chance to sit there and watch somebody do something. I love it."

So, what's up next for everyone? Well, lots of new music. Sean has a free mixtape, The Mistress, which can be downloaded on his site, and his second U.S. album, Freeze Time,will drop later this fall, while Jonas' album Fast Life hits the streets on Tuesday. JoJo's next record, Jumping Trains, is slated for release early next year.

Awww Look sideface of his😍
Announcing PoohJit Anniversary party😍

JS visit abc news radio

Edited by -Pooji- - 12 years ago
JS rocks ...all the way whoop ...
so happy tht he got an award...he truly deserve it .

2011 asian award
Go Jay Go !
You Rock .

now thats my man 😆

The Down hitmaker, who returned from America especially for the ceremony held at London's Grosvenor House last night, told us he is "flattered" to have been given the award, especially as it comes from his own community.

Speaking of his win, Jay stated: "Being given an award for anything is flattering, but for the title to be 'Outstanding Achievement' makes me feel happy for the fact that I know I've worked long and hard, but when people recognise that, it's a beautiful thing. It's super flattering and I'm very humbled by it."

When asked about how it feels to have been awarded the accolade by the Asian community, the singer claimed: "We are so successful in so many different fields but maybe people don't know who's doing what until we are all gathered in one room."

He explained: "When the community comes together to appreciate each others efforts and achievements, I think that's a great thing. It's like when you have the MOBO Awards, or different awards in certain communities or circles, a few people in that circle feel like 'you know what, we need to celebrate ourselves' because maybe the larger mainstream events might not recognise it. It doesn't mean we can't celebrate our success."

Jay continued: "So, when you have these minority awards, I think it's even more important to represent them because you need that extra little help, because everything is on that massive mainstream level but it can get there if all the right people support it."

Indian composer AR Rahman won the same award last year, and speaking of following in his footsteps, Sean claimed: "It's pretty mad, I'm still young. I feel extremely honoured for that. It would be lovely to meet him, he's done so much."

The event paid tribute to late Queen legend Freddie Mercury, with Jay admitting that theWho Wants To Live Forever singer was "super important" to him, adding: "He was one of the first guys with an ethnic background who made it on a mainstream level globally. So that's always a massive deal, we need these people.

Behind the scene : Picture of JS
He Looks so Amazing Cool in this Pic.

its time to sing . I Love You oh meri Gharwali Poonam & Kiran🤣
Love JS😳

Congratulations For 70 Pages 🥳

- God Bless You Jay Sean With Loads of Happiness and Loads of Success and Loads of Love and Fame .

Keep Shining Jay Sean . We Love You 🥳