"I didn't expect to last this long": Shekhar Suman

.Tanya. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
Shekhar Suman, a renowned judge and a huge celebrity on television, explains why he participated in Jhalak, his passion for dance and how much he enjoyed being judged by his friends and family. Being predominantly an actor, he also promises to be back to acting soon.

How was the experience of dancing in Jhalak Dikhla Jaa?
I enjoyed being on Jhalak as I discovered the joy of dancing. I had an inherent fear of dancing and more so about competing. I knew the judges and co-participants, so my comfort level was high. I am glad I took on this opportunity but I also have a complaint -that the show is a platform for non dancers trying dancing on stage for the first time. When the channel brought in experienced, trained dancers, they didn't level the playing field. It upset the balance. It was like a race where some were walking, some were running while some were on a bike or car. How can you compete with experienced dancers? It was unnerving.

Do you feel like a dancer now?
I feel very much confident of dancing in front of an audience. Frankly I didn't expect to last for such a long time. I hadn't participated to win or for competition but to fulfill a desire to get better at dancing. I have danced as an actor but that's totally different. Learning forms and following a particular style- be it samba, jive or anything else takes lot of hard work. People saw a new image, a new side of me so I am happy I was part of Jhalak.

Which do you think was your best performance?
My first dance got me highest score and a standing ovation from the judges, so that was really special. That was the high point. I am glad I got out this week as the competition is getting tougher. While earlier we rehearsed and prepared one dance, now there are two performances and even a face off, if needed. It takes too much work to cram so much in four days given for preparation. Had I still been in Jhalak, it would start becoming a burden instead of fun [smiles].

Which was the toughest performance?
I loved the performance I dedicated to Madhuri where we danced to her song Are Re Are Yeh Kya Hua. Also my performance in the pharaoh theme was tough. I did some extraordinary lifts that were really challenging and never attempted on the show- one being where I lifted my choreographer with one hand!! The judges noticed all that and even mentioned it. In fact, I think the standard and level of this season of Jhalak is much higher than the earlier seasons.

Which is one compliment that you will cherish from Jhalak?
After the first performance, Madhuri said, "humne toh jhalak dikhane ko kaha tha, aap ne toh pura jalwa dikha diya." Even Maliaka mentioned that she was surprised and shocked that I did so well. Remo said I was extraordinary and I stuck to my form that day. All of that helped my morale. These compliments set the mood and paved the way for me to better myself every week.

Tell us about your interaction with Madhuri Dixit.
I have known Madhuri since our debut days. During our second film, Manav Hatya we used to go to Juhu to learn dancing at Oscar's place. We chatted about our lives today and swapped stories. I even spoke to her husband and kids. It was lovely catching up.

Who is your favourite contender to win Jhalak this season?
I like Mahi, who was a weak dancer but has been working diligently. There has been a huge improvement from day one in her performance. Ragini too is another dancer who has shown great promise. Yana is a trained dancer but she is contentious and dedicated. I think one of them should win.

What are your plans next? Will it be tv or films?
I am going to direct a romantic thriller called Alive. It will star my son Adhayayan and a new girl. I will also be doing a special role in the film. We should start in March- April and I am very excited to start. I also have two interesting projects on television which should be announced in a month. And most of all, I will continue my training in dance. I want to learn more and maybe someday get some major dance competition worldwide.
Edited by gaurav_fan - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago
dis has been posted already dear