Hi Friends,🤗

I'm back but with 'Discussion of the Week' 😳

Well, Now that we have heard of AR Rahman being nominated

for oscars for the 2nd time 👏

Really Praying that he wins and makes us proud like always
(Ellam Iraivan Kaiyile)

So this week the topic is about our

Oscar Nayagan,Isai Puyal,Mozart of Madran

Recently while hearing ARR songs on Youtube I found many reports on how ARR's old touch was missing etc

So Thats the discussion for this week.I really would request you all to please give your opinion of the following

1. Is ARR's old touch (during the Roja, Gentleman Times) Missing?

2. Do you feel that his music is now more universal than regional

3. Which works of ARR do you prefer the Most

(his present ones or the ones during the age of Roja, Rangeela etc)

Please abide by the rules of Sensational South Section as well as India-forums.com !

Please give your constructive criticisms

Edited by anjkhoney - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago
Great Topic Anj 👏👏 First of all congrats to our mozard of madras for yet another thrilling nomination..
I shall be back soon with my points...
malluangel thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
i personally like his old music.. i mean like it was more traditional. but i liked the blue theme from recent times... and guru just mystifies me!

b back later!
Additi_sjfan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Awesome topic..... n yes... that old arr vs new arr qns always makes me ponder too... so i've tried to summarise what i think below.... hopefully it makes sense.. if it doesnt.... then.... 😕😃

Personally if i listen to his current songs (VTV, Endhiran, Raavan etc).... they are good, but u can only listen to them a certain limited times.... raavan for example was pretty annoying at parts... i starting skippin all the songs on my mp3 after the first week n by 2nd wk i deleted them all.. same goes for endhiran... there's only a few songs that u can listen to all the time...

VTV was romantic... i loved it when it came out... but if i listen to them now.. i dont...

but if u look at his old works like roja... gentlemen, kadhalan... even if i listen to them now.. i can still fall in love with them... there's a certain joy that returns when we listen to them again.....
& i guess it's because the songs in the past were very soulful and had a level of depth.... i dont know whether we can say ARR has lost this old touch... cos old or new songs, they r all amazing... only diff the old songs if u listen to them yrs later... u can still love them.. but the current songs dont leave such a impact, u tend to just skip them after some time....

universal vs regional..... well.. music is a universal language.... but yes, arr had started to have more international touch to his music then regional touch... but arr has always been having a universal touch to his music... right from the start... during roja onwards.. illayaraja was known for his regional music... n arr brought in a new genre of modern indian music... so i guess what i'm sayin is... arr has always been universal.. n even today remains so.....

the only diff was.... previously he only made tamil songs, so they had a stronger regional feel as well.. but recently, with him composing bilingual music n international music... it's diff cos each region has diff taste... and to acheive a sense of balance is pretty tough to appeal to all....

my pick would be old music.... its still is a joy to listen to them.. n my all-time fav album is kandukondein kandukondein... love the movie n music...

well, that's all folks.... pretty much all i can say abt arr now... n congo to him for his 2nd nomination....
Edited by Additi_sjfan - 13 years ago
ammoos thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Great topic👏
1. Is ARR's old touch (during the Roja, Gentleman Times) Missing?

Sadly, yes Its not that he lost the touch, he is more on to EXPERIMENTING. Thats the main reason why we dont get his melodies that often. Remember he gave us Munbe vaa at a time when he was criticised more for not providing his best. So he still can give us but only he has to be ready for it😆

2. Do you feel that his music is now more universal than regional.

Yes, its more universal and he is concentrating in global music more than Indian films. Last year he had very few films under his name. But cant blame him.

3. Which works of ARR do you prefer the Most .
The good old melodies Roja, Bombay, Love birds etc... Those are still his BEST. And he takes out his best for Maniratnam except Raavanan of course, such boring tracks
x.sunayna.x thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

- I don't think he's losing his touch, his music is amazing, and he's always had a 'different' style of music which I guess he is developing. Music worldwide is developing and changing and India could fall behind if that change wasn't being made.. Not that I don't love old indian music :) I've even got some of my non-indian friends into some of his music - Endhiran/VTV .. they love it :)

- I don't think that his music is universal or regional. He makes music which suits the movie. I think the music for VTV was amazing, it was all feel-good, sing-along music but non of it could have really been classified as regional apart for perhaps aaromale which was modern style-regional. & it worked out perfect for the movie. But so did the music for Roja and his older works. But his music has always been different to other music directors so its like he has his own category.
- Roja, Bombay, Dil Se, Lagaan, Swades, Guru and VTV .. Can listen to them all the time, but like above.. i didn't really enjoy the soundtrack of Raavanan !
sand14 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks Anj for the superbb topic!!

He's definitely a genius, and none can deny it. His old tracks are definitely one of the best, cos they were fresh when they were composed, ppl hadn't heard it before, and so we were very quick in imbibing the tune and falling in love with it over and over again.

As the no. of songs composed increase, it is reaching the capacity that one can compose with the same kind of genre. For eg, songs composed in the same raag have the same touch, as they depend on a fixed no of phrases. And therefore, at such limits, ppl tend to explore other genres and other areas, and that is what ARR is doing, which sadly doesn't go too well with people who are very used to the regional, or rather his native touch.

Apparently, he's only composing music for one movie in 2011, and he's just too busy, So I guess when he really finds time to his best, we'll get more 'Munbe Vaa's 'Mannipaaya's 😃

My list of favorite tracks are endless - Roja, Gentleman, Kadhalan, Bombay, Alaipayuthey, Rang De Basanti, Swades, Sillunu oru Kadhal, Boys...😳😳

fuzzyface thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Great Topic.
I think he is still fab and one of the most outstanding musician in the world. To me I think as the music scene is evolving, so is AR Rahman. He can't be sounding or using the same technique he used to when he first started.
I know many people didn't like Enthiran and critics were harsh on him. But they way I see it for most soundtrack, people tend to associate with the music video and Shankar Sir didn't do a good job. Compared to Shivaji The Boss, Enthiran music video was nothing near close. My favourite songs Irumbile Oru Idhiyam and Arima Arima were awesome songs but failed to get noticed plus the Hindi version sucked big time, god knows who did the translation.
As for Ravan, I tght it had brilliant the songs and lyrics but again coz the movie flopped in Hindi people are not very kind to the music.
But AR Rahman's music is still as good as ever, have a listen to Ada's song especially Meherbaan, it's awesome and very haunting.
Generally I feel that since he won the Oscars, people and critics are having great expectation. To me this is how I see it, I remember an interview of Kamal Hassan and they asked him why he hasn't collaborated with Mani Ratnam since Nayagan. Kamal Sir answered that both him n Mani Sir are afraid because of the immense success and cult following of the movie, shld they make another one and it doesn't even come close, people are going to be disappointed. So it's better to leave it at that and let ppl enjoy what they have.
So at this point no matter what he does people will always compare him to his past and the fact that he has an Oscar, thus it will never be as good or better or maybe best to some.
ok am done ranting 😆
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Finally managed to make it here 😎.....
First of all, I must state that I have a lot of childhood memories attached to songs, from Roja, Bombay Minsara Kanavu, Gentleman, Love Birds, Kadhalan, Thiruda Thiruda, Indira, and many that came in the 1990's... everytime I listen to them it reminds me of my hometown, and like Sha said, you can NEVER GET tired of listening to those songs.. even till this day, those songs play on my iphone or in my car... and the truth is.. exactly what Sandz said... his music was of a kind... something none of had ever heard before... something so unique...
And I honestly feel he recreated that magic with Vinnaithaandhi varuvaaya... whenever I'm working I can put VTV songs and let them be repeated for hours and still not get bored 🤣... however, I admit that not all of his latest work has been appealing to me.. for example, I don't recall having heard many of the songs from Raavan and even Endhiran... but then am addicted to many of the hindi (latest) songs too 😛.... moreover... it was his latest work that won him the oscars and world wide recognition ⭐️👏....
So my answer to the first question is.... yes I miss his old touch, but then again, he's been successful in giving atleast a few aweosme songs per year so far... that makes up for it ⭐️... now with him becoming busier, am not sure if it would be the same still 😲
anjkhoney thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank u so much for participating in the discussion🤗.. I'll be back with my rating too.

ARR has always been my fav music director after IR Sir in Tamil😳.

It was really great to see u all sharing your thoughts on ARR's music
🤗 and I get to see that most of us or to say everyone of us miss his old touch which he gave during the 90s😳..

I have been listening to all his creations right from the time of Roja till the recent Endhiran. I love his works but still there is something special when it comes to his works in the past....

When I listen to Roja, Kandukondain Kandukondain,Thiruda Thiruda,Minsara Kanavu, OMG the list will go on and on👏👏⭐️..

When I hear these songs I close my eyes and that magic in his creation takes be back to those days😍..

When Kandukondain Kandukondain audio was released,I was the first in the store to go and get it😆 and I still remember staying inside our car most of the time to listen to the songs cos those times I was not having cd player or desktop at home.. I just couldnt stop myself from listening to the songs

Similarly Alaipayuthey songs,it makes me go back to the days where i used to write my homework hearing Patchai Nirame and Snehitane😳..

Old is Gold nu summava sollaranga. Really those songs are like ever green. U can go on and on listening to those songs⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.. Like appo ellam the whole album was a hit .Be it Roja,KK,Pudhiya Mugham, TT, Kadhalan,Kaadhal Desam,Kaadhalar,Jeans, Dhinam,Alaipayuthey,Boys, every single song was a super hit👏..Enga paathalum it will be his songs heard...

I am happy about ARR trying to change trend of giving the same genre of songs (which could make us think,oh i have heard this somewhere,it seems familiar etc)but still not all his songs of the current times stay to my head or heart. VTV is an exception⭐️. Munbe Vaa and New York Nagaram from JOK👏⭐️

Now coming to his Ocar winning song Jai Ho. One thing I liked about that song is the way they go 'Jai Ho' which reminds me of 'Jai Hind' so when oscars was announced I was so happy and proud to see ARR recieving the award for this song.

Changing according to time is needed at times but still once in a while he should try to give us his masterpiece works😳 (that regional,feel of the 90s)

Edited by anjkhoney - 13 years ago