Aries23 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Sandhya starring in 'Deadline'
By IANS
Dec 23, 2005, 09:24

Mumbai, Dec 22 (IANS) Tanveer Khan's forthcoming film "Deadline" will see actress Sandhya Mridul playing a grey character with a negative bent of mind who eventually undergoes a transformation as the story progresses.

"It is a strongly shaded character with a negative streak. It is one of the most interesting characters that I have played in recent times. What is interesting about it is that it keeps you guessing till the end," says Sandhya.

The actress, who has managed to make a distinct place for herself post "Page 3", was last seen in a shaded character in "Waisa Bhi Hota Hai", reports Bollywood Trade.

"But it is the suspense and mystery element in this character that makes it different. It is a strong characterisation," Sandhya explains.

The main reason that got her interested in the film was that she would be co-starring with her close friends, Konkona Sen Sharma and Irrfan Khan.

"Konkona and I have been very good friends and have stayed in touch over the past few years. I was really excited about the prospect of working with her once again after 'Page 3', during which we came really close to each other. However, the unfortunate part that we later realised, is that we haven't got a single scene with each other in the film," she says.

As for Irrfan, she admits she had a secret crush over the reticent actor and eventually got over it but he continues to be her favourite actor to date.

"He's a great co-star with whom I get along famously. His deadpan expression and reticence is only a faade. You have to read between the lines and understand his sense of humour because beneath the slightly withdrawn look, there is a naughty prankster waiting to get at you," she laughs.

Irrfan had also directed Sandhya during her television days when she was acting in the serial "Banegi Apni Baat".

"There was a problem with the director and Irrfan took over a few episodes for direction. I realised that he was a fabulous director as well," she recalls.

Subsequently when she got full-fledged into films, there were a few projects where she was to be cast opposite him.

"However, it never happened so I decided that I did not want to lose out on this opportunity," she says, justifying why "Deadline" is very special to her.

According to Sandhya, after "Saathiya", "Waisa Bhi Hota Hai" and "Page 3", "Deadline", is the fourth important film in her career.

She says: "With 'Saathiya' I registered my presence on the big screen in the role of Rani Mukerji's sister. In 'Waisa Bhi Hota Hai', I got a chance to establish my versatility as an actress.

"'Page 3' was an award-winning film, which gave me a lot of distinction. I am looking forward to 'Deadline' to add one more dimension to my versatility."

However, "Deadline" isn't the last of the lot. Sandhya has an interesting line-up of films in the coming year, all of them diverse with great characters.

"I like to keep experimenting with characters. If you have the inclination and the drive, there's nothing that can stop you," says she.

Copyright 2005 by MusicIndiaOnLine.com