Interview with Catherine HArsh's fiancee

OodlesDoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 19 years ago

Talking point with Susanne Bernert

This German actor based in Dubai is the latest firang face on television in Zee's Astitva-Ek Prem Kahani
Director Ajai Sinha was looking for a foreigner to play a small part in his serial Astitva-Ek Prem Kahani
We first met when he was in Dubai shooting for STOP. Ajai was also looking for a foreigner to play the part of Harsh's love interest in Astitva... After that meeting, we stayed in touch, and he approached me last year. My character Catherine is a Britisher in love with Harsh (Vivek Gomber). This is not the first time I've worked with an Indian director
I did STOP with Sinha and Chamal with Anil Kapoor. I first got in touch with an Indian director Anant Duseja when I landed in Dubai in April 2003. We shot a movie together called Destined Hearts in which I played the lead. But this is my first TV serial.
The marriage scene with Harsh, shot in London, was my first Indian wedding
With the jewellery, costumes and rituals it felt very real. That was the part I loved the most. Where else can one be a bride at an Indian wedding without really getting married? I felt like a princess. I love the salwar kameez and saris. I have learnt to speak some Hindi now
I'm studying Hindi from three books at the moment—one is for grammar, the second for sentences, the third for vocabulary. I leave the TV on, and listen to the dialogues. If I hear a word I don't know, I look it up or call one of my friends. I am not averse to doing raunchy roles on screen
One of my scenes in STOP was in a bikini because it was required in the story. I had kissing scenes on stage in Germany, but it's no big deal there. But as India is different, I don't think I would do that here. My ideal role would be playing Nina from The Seagull, by Tsjechov. I fell in love with India the first time I came here
I adore the food that the maid at the Sinhas' cooks even though it's vegetarian, and I'm a German who adores meat and sausages.