Users

Frequent Posters

OodlesDoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 18 years ago

Mandira's the real deal
(Posted on 30 January 2006
)

G ot on to Sony's Deal Ya No deal after a long while. Must confess, on earlier occasions I had never been able to figure out what's the big deal about the show. I found Madhavan's anchoring style a bit too thanda and predictable. Most of the time, I failed to figure out what the game was about - to me it looked like a shot in the dark, as the contestant on the hot seat kept selecting some boxes randomly hoping for a magic figure of the price money.

This week I was quite relieved to see apni svelte cricket loving Mandira Bedi as the new anchor. This one looked like a special episode of rickshawallas where the classy anchor was down to using the lingo of the masses as she ordered for a 'cutting chai' for the contestants. The gully cricket anchor showered a great deal of camaraderie on the show. Towards the end of the episode I kept wondering whether all the laugh out loud was about the contestant winning the money or about being with the tantalizing and vivacious noodle strapped anchor.

In all, I think what makes the Extraaa Innings hottie tick is not just her class but even her mass appeal as she connects with the viewers. And that's her USP Sahara One's Dial One aur jeeto as well. No retakes, nor gaffes, as Mandy baby is always in sync with the callers..

OodlesDoodles thumbnail
29-year-old hits jackpot, but no big deal: 'grey cells helped me win'
Express News Service
Ahmedabad, January 30: He's clinched the 'deal' and how! Twenty-nine-year-old Amit Mandan, an Ahmedabad-based MBA who works with a local firm, has hit the jackpot on Sony's popular gameshow Deal Ya No Deal. How much will he take home? The channel's not disclosing that as it would spoil the suspense of the episode that's scheduled to be telecast this Wednesday. But the win is ''no surprise'' for Mandan who says, ''I was confident. Though it is sheer luck that helped me when those six boxes were opened, I think my grey cells made me win!''
< = src="http://ads.expressindia.com/banner/iestoryban.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=648348659&what=zone:377&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
Still smitten by Mandira Bedi, the new host of the show (she took over from R RHTDM Madhavan), he thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the shoot. ''The episode has come out well. I believe no one has had the guts to go so far in the gameshow,'' says an excited Mandan, adding, ''Had my wife not sent an SMS, I would have not been called for the show. The credit goes to her first.'' While he won't reveal the jackpot amount because it'll ''kill the curiosity of viewers,'' he plans to use the money in a big way. ''I haven't even revealed it to my friends!'' he e xclaims. An MBA in Marketing from Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Lucknow, he is the general manager of the company Hi-Tech Ltd. He now plans to start a business of his own with the prize money. ''Our company deals with the marine industry and I have good contacts with people at the ports. With a new business, I plan to buy Chinese products and sell them here,'' he says.
Anastacia thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

"I was the best thing to have happened to Deal Ya No Deal"

RMadhavan was the hottest guy on television once upon a time(remember Banegi Apni Baat, Saaya, Jamai Raja?)and continues to reign over Mollywood. The actor broke away from his hectic schedule a couple of months ago to do a stint as the host of Sony's newly acquired format Deal Ya No Deal but quit the show after one and a half months.

Kavita Shyam spoke to the hearthrob about life post Deal Ya No Deal, while he's on vacation in Dubai.

Why did you quit Deal Ya No Deal?

Well, I quit the show because they wanted me to give them more than six days in a month. I could hardly accommodate the dates with the show and my Tamil films in hand. The amount of dates I could give weren't sufficient enough for the show, so I quit.

How was the experience of coming back to TV?
It was a phenomenal experience. In fact, I miss shooting for it now! I loved interacting with the people, it was great fun.

You started with television and came back to it in a different avatar. What has this done for your image, now that you are also a film star?
Yes surely. In fact, I am in Dubai and the people here simply call me Deal Ya No Deal, so imagine how impactful the show must have been. It was a good show and people have loved it all over. I am glad I was a part of it.

Do you think Mandira is the right choice for hosting the show and will she be able to live up to the popularity?
Mandira is a good friend of mine and we have worked together earlier. She has worked successfully as a host in many shows before this, so she should be fine. But I think I was the best thing to have happened to Deal Ya No Deal.

What made you take up Rang De Basanti considering you had a minuscule role in it?
See, it is always good to be a part of good projects. Besides, I knew that the movie would be a hit. I was happy doing it and had a lovely unit to work with so I decided to be a part of the film.

What's next for you in terms of work?
Presently I am holidaying in Dubai. I am doing three Tamil films and there is one untitled Hindi film. I'd be soon shuttling between Chennai, Singapore and Mumbai so you can now imagine why I am not doing Deal Ya No Deal. But now no more of television for me!

Posted on 1 February 2006 4:30 pm
http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k6/feb/1feb/interview_madhavan .php

Posted by: monika.goel

Edited by Belle1989 - 18 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Mandira with YK Chaudhary

Mandira's crazy fan

Mandira Bedi has all her fans in her sway. One of her many ardent admirers, Y K Choudhary, an ex army man broke down on the sets of Deal Ya No Deal recently.

He could barely talk or react to anything during the shoot. He was so spellbound by her presence that he stood motionless all through. So much so that he finally hugged Bedi and broke down. This is not the first time that the man has waxed over-emotional. Apparently, he made a painting of Sonia Gandhi with his blood and was invited to meet the leader. He was preparing to leave for Delhi when he got a call to participate on Deal Ya No Deal.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&ar ticleid=232006123534623200612223359
Anastacia thumbnail

Mandira unplugged - "I want to be a full-time mother"

Think cricket. Think Mandira Bedi. Besides being a perfect television host, an impressive cricket commentator and a brilliant actress, Mandira is a perfect homemaker, who can successfully walk the tightrope between home and work. In an exclusive interview to Shaaditimes, she talks about her marriage, life and relationships...

You are involved in a lot of things, cricket, television and theatre. What keeps you ticking all the time?
The fact that I am doing so many things! In the first seven eight years of my working life, before the World Cup, I enjoyed what I did but there was a lot of monotony in it. Day in and day out I was doing serials and that became monotonous after some time. Especially when you are involved in long-term projects (daily soaps), which take up a lot of your time and energy.
I enjoyed what I did but somehow I wanted to do different things, which, fortunately, I am getting to do now. So, in a way acting on television or acting in serials, has taken a back seat. Right now, I am hosting shows, I am doing theatre, cricket. I feel blessed to get a chance to do so many things. I am happy that every week of my life is different. Like just yesterday, I shot for a fashion feature.

Were you always interested in cricket?
I always liked cricket in the sense that I always followed it. But it was a difficult task to sit in a panel and discuss it with the masters / experts of the game. And I was very very nervous especially when I came on air and saw the whole set up. Also because I was the first woman who was entering a sphere that was till then considered a 'Male Domain' Needless to say, I was a complete wreck. In fact I told the Sony guys that I was not adding any value to the show and to send me back to India. But they asked me to stay on as I was just finding my feet. That's when I realized that heaven and hell are in your head itself. Live in the present and enjoy your job. From then, I started enjoying my stint with cricket.

You have been married for almost six years now, what makes for a good relationship?
First and foremost understanding. I'm lucky that I've got a very understanding husband. He respects my work and because he respects my work there is freedom to do what I do. I feel understanding leads to equality in a relationship and that's the key ingredient to a long-term relationship.
I hate using the clich 'better half' but I can say that my husband is my 'best half'. He is the opposite of me. I am hyper, aggressive, impatient and he's not any of these.
He's calm, patient and composed. Of course he is aggressive when it comes to his work. He's laid back in the right sense, just unlike me.
Also, I believe that opposites attract and for a lasting relationship you cannot have two similar people. He's all that I am not and that's why we work.

How important is taking each other's advice?
I depend on him for everything. Even when I am travelling and I need to ask him, I call him up and ask for his suggestions.
I seek his advice for everything and anything. He's an ideas man; he's into advertising (commercials) and also into films. Being so creative he always has some answer to give me. Even when it comes to cricket, he has some advice to give to me.

Does your celebrity status affect your relationship?

No, never. As I said before, Raj is the most understanding person, I've known. I can see other husbands in his situation not taking it too well, but he just wants the best for me. He truly loves me as I do him. He's absolutely okay with me being in the limelight. He's always there to encourage me and give me a helping hand.
Fortunately, he and I are from the same business so he understands and knows that it's important for me to be in the newspapers. He's therefore never been jealous or unhappy about it. He's only been happy for me and proud of me and always encouraging.
Taking a broader perspective, do you think that the definition of marriage is changing in today's world?
Yes it is. The trends and the things happening around show that. But personally speaking, I never want myself to get influenced by the changing trends. I look at my parents. The kind of relationship, which they have, even though they've been married for 37 years now, is amazing. They are my role models.
But, of course, in every relationship, in every marriage there are fights and arguments, but whenever I've had such testing times I just turn around and I look at marriages before me, marriages that have worked. I look to them to keep my relationship and me going.
Today, people walk out of a marriage instantaneously. I've seen people who've been seeing each other for years, but who get divorced after six months! But I try and not look at the current trends and I tend to look back at marriages, which have stood the test of time.

What are your future plans?
I don't think about the future. Yes, I do want to have kids but only when I feel - this is it and I can give up work for a couple of years. I want to be a full-time mother and take care of my kids like my parents took care of me.
Even Raj agrees and says that after you have kids, for a while you can give up work to look after the kids, but you have to keep on working. You need an occupation.
But I'm not yet ready to have kids, may be in a year or year and a half. Right now, the things that I am doing are so exciting, my work drives me so much that I want to continue with the work. And then there are lots of other things coming up. There is "Fame Gurukool" on Sony television and of course lots of cricket. Sony has signed me for the Super Series in Australia in September, and then there is the Champions Trophy in early next year and then World Cup 2007. I have a long way to go!
Anastacia thumbnail

Madahavan Cooks Up Dosas And Brews Coffee !

Post 'Deal Ya No Deal' , Madhavan has been busy cooking up 'dosas' , brewing coffee and selling paintings . But hold on , it's all for a cause in Chennai . The 'dosas' prepared by Madhavan were auctioned for twenty five thousand and the coffee that he made was again sold for another twenty five thousand . Finally , he auctioned a Thota Tharini painting for one lakh and whizzed off making everyone happy , especially the female 'junta'. Madhavan donated two lakhs of the event to 'The Banyan' , a home for the mentally ill and destitute women .

Here's hoping that this actor with a heart of gold keeps making such appearances more often than once .

Anastacia thumbnail

Raw deal

R. Madhavan has opted out of the show
R. Madhavan has opted out of the show

THIS deal's hardly worth a steal any more. With bilingual film star R. Madhavan quitting as host of Sony's Deal Ya No Deal, the game show's popularity is likely to take a big hit, especially down South.

The immediate provocation for Madhavan's walking out of the show was reportedly the haphazard way the episodes were being canned which completely threw his other commitments out of gear.

But insiders say that the channel or the producers are not as much to blame as the star himself. Madhavan has been riding the crest of stardom and has signed a slew of Tamil and Hindi films, including the current Rang De Basanti.

One of the many game shows with blockbuster prize monies, Deal Ya No Deal did get a dedicated viewership thanks to Madhavan. But his replacement rumoured to be Mandira Bedi is unlikely to add any value to the show. Which must have the Sony bosses worried sick considering they have sunk a fortune in the show.

OodlesDoodles thumbnail

A Joker Wins 6.4 lacs on Deal Ya No Deal

This rib tickling episode of Deal Ya No Deal will surely make you laugh till you cry! For this time we have JOKERS playing with the gorgeous Mandira Bedi on the Series 2 of Deal Ya No Deal!!! Turn back the clock – Its circus time on television's easiet game show! Enjoy the fun and frolic attached with the funniest man we ever knew in our childhood!! This Friday sure promises the viewers pot loads of fun along with true gaming experience. Watch the jokers turning you topsy turvy in fits of laughter on the 'Joker Special' on Friday, February 10 at 8.30 pm. This episode's lucky clown was Prem Das who got the opportunity to play Deal Ya No Deal with Mandira. Prem Das won Rs. 6.4 lac on the show and plans to spend it on treatment of his ailing aunt and repaying his home loan. This colorful and exciting episode, filled with a whole load of fun, had the clowns dancing around and doing their antics – keeping the audience enthralled at all times.

"Making people laugh is a difficult profession. And hats off to these men who do it so well despite their personal pains and problems", said Mandira during the shoot of this episode.

Innovation being the foremost priority, Sony Entertainment Television has introduced theme specials on this show, which have been well received by millions of viewers across. After bringing the traffic cops, coolies and rickshaw drivers together for a sporting round of the game, it is now time for the 'Real Life' clowns!

This week will also feature a 22-year old Anjul, a tution teacher from Ghaziabad who has won 15.5 lac on Wednesday, February 8 episode of Deal Ya No Deal. Anjul plans to spend the prize money to raise a huge furniture shop for her father who is a carpenter by profession. Along with Anjul, this week look out for a dentist from Mumbai, Vandana Mehta, a mother of two daughters as she plays the game enthusiastically on the 9th of February with our own ravishing Mandira Bedi. Vandana has won prize money of 2.8 lac on the show.

The Series 2 of Deal Ya No Deal with Mandira on the board includes interesting elements like new sets, more drama, more glitz and glamour, exciting deals and fabulous prizes, that will help to take the show to the next gaming level. However, the show will continue with its simple and easy format that makes this show the easiest game show on television. No difficult questions, no muscle power, only one Mantra Deal Ya No deal.
OodlesDoodles thumbnail

The celebrity quotient on shows is on the increase. This Friday, siblings Farah and Sajid Khan will be joining anchor Mandira Bedi on Deal Ya No Deal. The episode featuring the irrepressible Khan siblings was recorded on Sunday and had Farah tickled by the idea of striking a 'deal' with her brother. "It should be fun. Let's hope we win some money," she said.

Earlier, the shoot for the Valentine special featuring Iqbal Khan-Neha Bamb, Shakti Anand-Kanchi Kaul was cancelled hours before the recording.

The reason given was Mandira's infected throat. Although there was certain amount of inconvenience caused, one person who was happy by this unexpected holiday was Iqbal. "It was my birthday and I got time to myself. I guess it all worked out for the best."

While the Valentine special was postponed, Mandira quickly recovered to take the show to another celebrity level with the Khan siblings.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&am p;ar ticleid=212200623015968212200622585828

Funny young man: Sajid Khan

Big deal: Farah khan

Edited by priya.nair - 18 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Viewers like me in a saree'

AL Chougule
Posted online: Friday, February 10, 2006 at 0000 hours IST

The moment Madhavan quit Deal Ya No Deal, Sony brought on board its favourite anchor Mandira Bedi. Along with the vivacious new host, even the show underwent many changes. The actor-anchor reveals what her Deal is all about...
Madhavan said no deal to Deal Ya No Deal barely two months after the show was launched. Have you got a better deal?
Well, it's the biggest reality game show in the world running successfully in 44 countries. It has an exciting format. Who would not like to host such a show? In fact, the show never has had a female anchor anywhere in the world. So it's an honour to host Deal Ya No Deal.

But have you got a better deal than Madhavan?
Maddy is a big star in the South. Because of his commitment there he could not continue with the show. As far as I am concerned when I take up a show it's not the question of small or big deal. Money is secondary. I believe that some projects give you good money and some give great satisfaction. When I was approached to host the show, I immediately said yes because it's really exciting.

But the audience doesn't seem to be all that excited.
When I take up a show I don't look at the ratings. I think that's the channel's job. But it's for sure that people are watching it. After all, it's the world's no. 1 show. In every country where it is running the format is tweaked a bit for local flavour. Here too the show has been given a makeover with a new set, more drama, interesting elements and more glamour though the basic format that makes the show easy to play will continue.

Besides adding glamour to the show with your presence you have made it livelier, interesting, and energetic as well as bit more melodramatic.
There's drama. No show is complete without dramatic elements that help viewers connect easily. I feel happy that the show is livelier and energetic though I am still relatively new to anchoring.

But lately it's only anchoring that you are doing. The obsessed other woman that you played in Kyonki... was almost four years ago. Aren't there acting offers?
Shanti happened 11 years ago and for the next eight years I played variety of roles in several serials. Nobody thought of me for a hosting job. Then, hosting was thought to be man's job. But the cricket World Cup changed it all. I am passionate about cricket. I was in Sri Lanka to watch the Champion's Trophy that was telecast on MAX. The offer to host Extraaa Innings came there. I think it was a case of being at the right place at the right time.

Don't you miss acting now that you are busy with only anchoring?
Of course I do. Besides the one-off episodic roles, nobody is offering me good roles. Cricket was the turning point in my career. Since then I have hosted fashion shows, corporate shows, live shows, reality shows, award functions, brand launches...you name it and I have done it. I am enjoying my job and I want people to see me as a gamer.

Is anchoring more challenging?
Oh yeah. It is very challenging. Spontaneity is a pre-requisite for anchoring. It is more demanding.You need to be energetic, innovative and alert. Acting is more switch-on switch-off job. It is a slow journey. Anchoring is like a race.

And does it pay more too, compared to the time spent?
Oh yeah. It is more profitable. In acting the day is longer in terms of work. You put in more efforts for less money. It also demands more commitment. Anchoring is definitely more lucrative in terms of time spent. I am really thankful to Sony and MAX. They have been very good to me. They gave me a second lease of life through a different platform. I will also never forget UTV and Adi Pocha for giving me break on TV in Shanti. Above all, I thank God for giving me good life, good work, great husband...

You played the lead in Raj's Shaadi Ka Laddoo. Aren't you working in his next film?
No. He hasn't cast me. He is too professional. Unless there is a proper role for me he wouldn't cast me. If the casting couch exists I wouldn't mind going for it with Raj for roles (laughs).

You are doing a play called Anything But Love that deals with a dysfunctional marital relationship. How is your experience on stage?
It's not exactly about a dysfunctional marital relationship. I think anyone who is getting into or getting out of a relationship can easily relate to it. We have done several performances in Mumbai and other cities. It's been a good experience.

Any acting assignment at the moment?
Yeah. I am doing a film called Marathon. It's about five people who run for a marathon.

In Extraaa Innings your costumes were as hot as lusty boundaries and sixes. In Fame Gurukul you were mostly seen in sarees. Have you struck a Deal... with saree?
Research has shown that people like to see me in saree. It is attire that cuts across all classes and regions. I will be mostly seen in saree in Deal Ya No Deal and saree will also remain somewhere even in cricket too---
http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=11939