Frequent Posters

Shakstar thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: monika_g

I have always broken the rules': Madhavan
source:-

http://tvguide.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1324415,curpg -1.cms

Tamil super-star Madhavan or Maddy, as he is lovingly called by his fans and co-stars, is currently in news for his game show 'Deal Ya No Deal' on Sony. Maddy is not new to TV as he has featured in popular Hindi serials like 'Saaya', 'Sea Hawks', 'Banegi Apni Baat' and 'Ghar Jamai'. In Bollywood he was last seen in 'Ramji Londonwale' released this year. He talks to Rachna Kanwar about why he chose to do a game-show, his experience of hosting it and also his 'new daddy' status.

Q. How did you decide on hosting a game-show and moving to the small screen after such a long gap?
I have never planned my journeys in terms of what I want to do next. This is something that just happened and it seemed like a really big challenge and very exciting. Apart from that it came with a tag line which said that it was the biggest game shows in the world. It was doing really well in the countries where it was launched so for me that was a challenge. Secondly, there was no script. It's all impromptu. Third is the ability to see somebody's life change in front of you forever. That's something I didn't want to miss.

Q. How do you think the channel decide on you?
Like I said everything in my life is not plotted, these guys asked me to come as a judge on 'Fame Gurukul'. They got excited by whom and what I was and they approached me for this.

Q. Like you said it is the biggest game show in the world, what kind of response have you received so far?
It's been extremely flattering. We didn't expect the kind of TRPs we've been receiving from the first day itself. But by and large what's been important is the number of people who have SMSed me and said that they love the show. Not just me, they like the format and the way the people are playing.

Q. Some people feel the rules are a bit complicated...
Some people are having a little complication understanding what the game show is all about. But it's really simple. It's going to take time. We've only aired six episodes. It's been running for five years in places. So eventually they'll all get it.

Q. Tell us about your experience of hosting the show, how is it for an actor to interact with live audience?
Most of the time people are awed by you. People blush and get self-conscious, which is fine. I am not a superstar so it's not like how they are with Mr. Bachchan. With him they are awestruck which I would be too. Here it's more like 'hey, we like your work' and the girls blush.

Q. And pay you compliments...
Ya, which is fine! (Laughs) The thing is that over a period of time the game show as such, takes away from everything else. Once they start playing the game they forget Madhavan and they forget themselves. The focus shifts. It's the possibility of how their lives can change that really makes the difference. Some people come with problems, a kidney operation or they want to send their children somewhere or they have a complex that they didn't have a good childhood, but they want to give it to their children. So it's not just a 1 Crore of 50 Lakhs thing, it's the ability to have all that you wished for in half an hour. And when that happens its ecstasy and when it doesn't happen its agony. So at that time it doesn't matter whether it's a Madhavan or a Shah Rukh Khan who is sitting there, it's their lives that are more important.

Q. What do your fans down south think of your move to host a Hindi game show?
They are very excited as this is for the first time in the history of Tamil cinema that a top league actor there is hosting a huge top league game show in Hindi. So it's a matter of pride for them.

Q. So far, apart from Mr. Amitabh Bachchan, no other big star from Bollywood has made a hit host of a game show. What do you think is your chance of making the show a hit? What is your USP?
It's me! (Laughs) I have always broken the rules. People told me television actors can't become film-stars, but I did. People told me Tamil stars can't do Hindi films, but I did. Now you are telling me that film-stars don't become successful anchors so let's see...I am sure I'll prove that wrong as well.

Q. What kind of specials is in the offing on 'Deal...'? Are their any celebrity specials planned?
Well, I am sure we'll have specials for Christmas and New Year's and celebrity specials also but that's not planned yet.

Q. There's a lot happening in your personal life as well. How has being a father changed you as person?
It's phenomenal! I can't describe it. Most people think I am a kid, not old enough to be a father. But the fact is I am 36, really old enough to be a father. I love the fact that there is this other person who is totally dependent on us and who looks up to us, so when I hold my son in my arms I feel like an emperor. I feel like I have achieved something. I feel that there is somebody who is going to enjoy all my achievements. I hope he has as good a childhood as I did. I try to change nappies but I am not very good at that, but I am good at making him go to sleep.

Q. You are there in 'Rang De Basanti' tell us about your role.
It's just a guest appearance. Hardly 5-7 minutes.

Q. What are the other projects here in Bollywood?
I am going to do only one film a year in Hindi. Next year's film script is getting ready right now.

Word Count: 0

.iqbal thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Anchor Madhavan loses voice,thanks to confetti gas on his game show

Last week, while shooting for the game show Deal Ya No Deal, the show's host Madhavan suffered a serious vocal injury which brought on an attack of laryngitis.

Madhavan, who is just beginning to get his voice back, recalled the incident with horror. "It happened all of a sudden and I didn't even realise that it would be so grave. In the middle of the shoot we had this confetti blast. I didn't even know I had inhaled the gas. Before I knew it, my voice got affected. Soon it went completely and I panicked. Fortunately, it was just laryngitis. I've just begun to get my voice back. But I was asked not speak at all. Even now I'm forbidden from talking."

The actor, who's about to start his new Hindi film, is gung-ho about his game show, "I'm truly enjoying the experience. We recently did a celebrity special with Jassi (Mona Singh) and then with Anu Malik. I had a good time with Anu. He's a really sweet guy. For the New Year's eve we've recorded a celebrity special with the couple who starred in the soap Kkusum (Nausheen Sardar Ali and Anuj Saxena). I'm so glad that TV stars have become celebrities in their own right. I started on TV too."
doc.sam thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Deal doctor

R. Madhavan at The Park on Monday. Picture by Pabitra Das
He is set to paint the town yellow in a couple of weeks but during a daylong visit to the city on Monday, he chose to go red. Awaiting the release of Rang De Basanti, R. Madhavan came to strike another deal with Calcutta, promoting his popular game show on Sony and announcing specials for the next few weeks.

"It's a great feeling that ever since the show started one-and-a-half months back, people, especially kids and their parents, recognise me as the Deal Ya No Deal man," smiles Madhavan. "It's quite an experience watching these participants playing for the money and seeing their whole lives in front of their eyes. All the crying that you see on the show is real — we don't use glycerine."

The Sony game show, where people have to keep opening boxes randomly to win lakhs of rupees, started out on a promising note raking in the TRPs. Presence of celebrities like Anu Malik increased viewership and that is what prompted the channel to come up with more specials. So in coming weeks, you can catch everyone from Indian Idol Abhijeet Sawant and Fame Gurukul finalist Rex D'Souza to Mukesh Shaktiman Khanna and Nausheen Kkusum Sardar coming to strike deals on the show.

Deal Ya No Deal marked a return to TV for Madhavan who earlier won many hearts in serials like Banegi Aapni Baat and Saaya. A big cinestar in the South, Madhavan's attempts at Hindi cinema hasn't found favour. Even his last release Ramji Londonwaley sank without a trace. "The timing of the release was very bad," he admits. "But I am not going to give up in a hurry."

Madhavan's role in Rang De Basanti is a "special appearance", he insists. "It was amazing to work with someone like Aamir Khan," he says. "I am really lucky to have worked with the best of people — from Mani Ratnam to A.R. Rahman to Amitabh Bachchan."

But he doesn't figure in Ratnam's next film even though he's played the leading man in three of the director's movies. "It's in Hindi. So Mani Sir's gone with Abhishek Bachchan." reveals Madhavan.

So what next for the man who was born and brought up in Jamshedpur and who still looks out from his aeroplane window to spot his hometown on his way to Calcutta? "I want to have Amitji playing Deal Ya No Deal with me. If the TRPs of his channel and mine combine, we can create television history," winks Madhavan.

Anastacia thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Madhavan's vocal chords have been in the news for a different reason altogether. Last week while shooting for Sony Entertainment's game show Deal Ya No Deal the show's host, Madhavan suffered a serious vocal injury which was brought on an attack of laryngitis.

Madhavan, who's just beginning to get his voice back, recalled the incident with horror. "It happened so suddenly, I didn't even realize I was injured. In the middle of the shooting we had this confetti blast. I didn't realize that I had inhaled the gas. Before I knew it, my voice got affected. Soon it went off completely. I panicked. Fortunately, it was just laryngitis. I've just begun to get my voice back. Even now I'm forbidden from talking."

The actor is gung-ho about his game show, "I'm truly enjoying the experience. We recently did a celebrity special with Jassi (Mona Singh) and then with Anu Malik. I had a good time with Anu. For the New Year's Eve, we've recorded a celebrity special with the couple who starred in the soap Kkusum (Nausheen Sardar Ali and Anuj Saxena). I'm so glad that TV stars have become celebrities in their own right. I started on TV too."
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
'Deal Ya No Deal' now with exciting episodes

Courtesy: Goher Iqbal Punn
Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Sony Entertainment channel always churns out the stuff that simply arrests the breaths and gets laced with the contents, which can be watched with the family. And this is what that has created a special niche in viewers' hearts for the channel from the day it went on air to allure the souls of the people spread in the country and across the globe. 'Deal Ya No Deal' is another distinctive feather to its cap, the reality game show with the host R. Madhavan. The show has been making waves since the beginning and also seen celebs and the people from different walks of life playing the game. On New Year Night, the show was also the part of Sony Entertainment whopping Jashn 2005. With the advent of year 2006, the show is bringing the exciting and special episodes to entice its viewers. On 6th of January 2006, 'Deal Ya No Deal' features Traffic Cops Special at 8.30 p.m. where the traffic cop Vishal will be playing to fulfill his dream of building an entertainment centre for his colleagues and traveling to his dream destination - Italy.

The opening episodes of 'Deal Ya No Deal' in the New Year have lots more in store! There's 66-year-old Ratan Sukhwal, a resident of Udaipur, who desperately needs the money to fulfil the needs of his family, playing for the big money on 4th January, 2006. Will this ardent fan of yesteryear actress Vyjantimala and follower of Shri Ravi Shankarji make the right deal? The excitement does not end here, the week also showcases a contestant from Kandivali-Mumbai named Vaishali Shegokar trying to make the right deal on January 5, 2006. 'Deal Ya No Deal' is the easiest reality game show on television today where one does not require any special skill to win big money. The simplest decision and right choice can win a participant anything between 25 paise to 1 crore. No difficult questions, no tricky answers, only one mantra- 'Deal Ya No Deal'.

So what more you need to glitter the New Year beginning? Tune into Sony Entertainment channel every Wednesday to Friday at 8.30 p.m.

Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago
OodlesDoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
January, 5 2006
Deal Ya No Deal regulated by traffic cop
Actor and anchor Madhavan recently had a brush with a traffic cop! No, he wasn't fined or anything for speeding or any other offence, but for he had a traffic cop Vishal for a participant in his show Deal Ya No Deal for the traffic cops special episode.

This week, Sony's new game show Deal Ya No Deal takes the different track with its latest special episode. The Friday episode of the show will have a traffic cop play to fulfil his dream of building an entertainment centre for his colleagues and travelling to his dream destination, Italy, in the game show's Traffic Cops Special.

Vishal wants to build an entertainment centre for his colleagues and visit his dream destination Italy with the money he wins! Hmm... for all you know, Maddy can be in the cops' good offices and be let off easy if he ever has any problems with them!
OodlesDoodles thumbnail
No dearth of offers for me" - Madhavan

R. Madhavan, one of the biggest superstars down South, started his career with television before acting in Bollywood movies like Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein and Ramji Londonwaley. He was back on the small screen with the game show, Deal Ya No Deal.

How has been your experience in the industry?
It has been a highly satisfying journey for me. I have been in the industry for seven years now which is no mean task by any standards.

You have worked only in three Bol lywood flicks so far. Aren't you being over selective?
More than being selective, it has got to do with my working style. I can't work in 10 movies at a time which don't leave me with enough time for myself. As an actor, I need some break between my films and if that's being over selective, then I have no qualms accepting it.

You have worked in television, South Indian movies and Bollywood films. Do you find any difference?
Not at all. Though all the media are completely different from each other in terms of reach and nature, as an actor it doesn't matter to me much. Bollywood being unpunctual and unprofessional has become a thing of past toady. Everybody knows and loves their work here and it would be wrong to differentiate them.

Do you believe that you still need to get accepted in Bollywood?
I think Bollywood accepted me much before I made a mark in the South. After all, I started off my career with television serials like Sea Hawks, Ghar Jamai and Banegi Apni Baat. There is no scarcity of offers for me, but I don't want to ruin my name by working in bad movies and destroy whatever popularity I have managed to garner till now. As a rule or habit, I do only one film at a time which takes around 20 days of a month and I am left with good 9-10 days to take care of other things. So, this game show, which I found to be very exciting, fits perfectly in my schedule. For the uninitiated, five of my films have already been released this year and five more are slated for next year.

Does filmi background and backing help in the industry?
I would be lying if I say that it doesn't help. But according to me, if you have the talent and determination, there's no reason why you can't be successful in making it big. As far as I am concerned, I never felt the need for any kind of backing. Moreover, the greatness of our film industry lies in the fact that it has space for everyone who wants to be a part of it.

You are one of the few actors who has worked with Mani Ratnam in four movies. How has been the experience?
There is no doubt that he is one of the finest filmmakers in the country today. A difficult taskmaster who doesn't settle for anything mediocre, he has set such high standards for me that I find it difficult to work below such levels in other movies. But if you are professional in your approach, he is the best director to work with.

Tell us about your forthcoming films...
I have just finished shooting for a Tamil movie Thambi with Pooja which is ready for release. Then there is Aryan with Bhawna. Besides, talks are on about a Hindi movie, but nothing has been finalised as yet.

Finally how are you coping with your real life role of a father?
Honestly speaking, I am not happy with the fact that I am not being able to spend enough time with my child. I would love to spend more quality time with my kid and be a part of his growing years.
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Favourite shows of TV stars

Madhavan Currently anchoring 'Deal Ya No Deal'.

Favourite Show: The Southern heartthrob's favourite show on TV's is 'Everybody Loves Raymond' on Star World. He finds the humour quite natural and the language is very simple in the show. His wife loves 'Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin'.
Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago
OodlesDoodles thumbnail
No deal for Maddy!
By Moviebuzz
Thursday, 12 January , 2006, 20:26
Madhavan has walked out of his prestigious game show Deal Ya No Deal on Sony TV! He has decided to move out, as he could not give more than six days a month due to his film commitments in Tamil. Deal Ya No Deal was one of the popular game shows on television. According to Maddy: " I had initially agreed in my agreement that I will give the producers Midtech, six days a month to shoot the monthly 12 episodes, but soon I found that their schedules went haywire, and it was eating into my film dates". Finally both the parties decided to part, and now the latest we hear is that Mandira Bedi has replaced Maddy as the anchor of the game show. Meanwhile Maddy has signed a new film last week produced and directed by Madesh who last did Madurae with Vijay.

Maddy has just completed the first schedule of Arya directed by Balasekhar. His Thambi releases on Feb 10, and the Aamir Khan film Rang De Basanti, where he plays a cameo is being premiered on Jan 19, at the Pune Film Festival.