367945 thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

I recently watched this telefilm called Kal and while my reasons for watching it were purely as a fan of Fawad's, I think I quite liked the concept. The telefilm came on August 14th i.e. Independence Day hence as you might expect the theme was quite patriotic. I think it took me a bit of time to appreciate the whole concept and the telefilm grew on me more once I had finished it as opposed to when I was watching it...

The main message of the show was that the youth of Pakistan is its tomorrow or kal. Your response would most likely be duh...lol I'd react the same way too. While the message appears to be very simple, I think it's thought provoking. The youth is its future and be it good or bad, they are the ones who will shape it. You might respond by saying no there are a lot of restrictions on us and we have to abide by a lot of the old, corrupted ways and then of course there are the wonderful opticians. But think about it: who lets those old ways, restrictions and politicians, etc rule over us? We do. It's all fine and dandy to crib about problems but it's also in our hands to change ourselves and possibly those around us. Even our passive actions are a decision in itself as they allow the current happenings to just be. So even if we act passively or take a stand, we are still Pakistan's future. Now the decision is in your hands as to how you wish to proceed.

In terms of the show, I loved how Fawad changed from this angry, acerbic, anti-establishment rebel to the leader of the young minds of Pakistan. It wasn't some thought out plan but rather his skills spoke for themselves and indeed others recognized him as a leader before he himself did. His family had constantly suffered because of the many changes the Pakistani people have seen such as the partition, the wars and then the constant political upheavals that have apparently become a regular Pakistani activity. Nonetheless he realizes his potential towards the end and decides to use his skills for the betterment of Pakistan by motivating as opposed to just creating fights. He's shown to be a very persuasive person and just like a knife can be used to make food it can also be used to kill someone. As the 'hero' of the story, he later learns to use his talents for something good and to shape Pakistan's 'kal'.

On another note, Suraiya Khala from Dastaan was also in the show, and her and Fawad share a very different relationship in this telefilm.

All in all, it was a good telefilm and if you guys haven't seen it then I'd recommend you to do so. Here's the link: TeleFilm (Kal)Pt 1

P.S. Forgot to add that Fawad's role seemed to gel well with his rock band but I don't think he's like this in person.

Edited by seert - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ozymandias thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
That sounds very interesting. The message esp .. very impactful. I dont know to what extend I'd agree with it tho.. Is it up on YT? I'd love to watch it and then comment more on it.

PS: IDK, I've never seen Fawad offscreen other than as a part of EP..but he's seems pretty rebellious sorta guy to me. Alot of his characters are along that line as well...
367945 thumbnail

Originally posted by: trouble_maker

That sounds very interesting. The message esp .. very impactful. I dont know to what extend I'd agree with it tho.. Is it up on YT? I'd love to watch it and then comment more on it.

PS: IDK, I've never seen Fawad offscreen other than as a part of EP..but he's seems pretty rebellious sorta guy to me. Alot of his characters are along that line as well...

Hmm what part of the message do you think you might be in disagreement with? Yep it's on youtube and here's the link for the first part: TeleFilm (Kal)Pt 1
I guess you should watch it first and then we can discuss this more. About the P.S., I'd say in terms of his band he does seem quite rebellious but the fact that he's married with a kid sorta domesticates him. In terms of his roles, I didn't think Hassan from Dastaan was rebellious...in fact Hassan was almost the opposite as he worked hard in the system to achieve his goal. Indeed, Fawad's character from Kal becomes something like Hassan. Other than that, I've only really seen Satrangi and again he's a leader there but maybe not a rebel. Although I do agree that with his father, he was a rebel.
serendipity. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Kal? Wow.. i think i havent seen it.. 😕
is it really old?? i dunno, i remember seeing a patriotic telefilm, with Fawwad in it... but i really dont remember uss main kiya hua... 😕
Perhaps yaad ajayega wen i see this 😊
Thanks seert!
will defo try. I like all these 'Pakistani' youth-oriented patriotic efforts made by our people! 😃
Ozymandias thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Hmm I guess I shouldn't generalize. The 2 shows I've watched of him, other than Dastaan, had him as pretty rebellious ... eh IDK, just something I sense from the limited things I know about him.

As for the message - a good one but a bit too idealistic imo. I don't think simply taking a stand against something would actually bring a change. The system, the politicians and the media ... they're way too overwhelming.
serendipity. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: trouble_maker

Hmm I guess I shouldn't generalize. The 2 shows I've watched of him, other than Dastaan, had him as pretty rebellious ... eh IDK, just something I sense from the limited things I know about him.

As for the message - a good one but a bit too idealistic imo. I don't think simply taking a stand against something would actually bring a change. The system, the politicians and the media ... they're way too overwhelming.

hmm, thats the brutal, true reality of Life... ab dekho... Pakistan is a muslim country... dont u find people drinking?? raping?? cheating?? etc etc all prohibited in Islam?? u do see, bt u dont see it in major... maybe 2 out of 12 people do any of the above stated stuff... so EVERYONE cant just b the same nd carry same things.. naa??
i knw i myt hve confuzed nd myt not make sense... bt i seriously would if u think abt it!
LOL
ofcrse a batch of college going students cant change the country, but they can atleast pass the awareness and start a movement naa?? :P
*i know i sound like an idiot.. i just dunno how 2 explain my point :P* 🤣
367945 thumbnail
Arena: I think you probably did see Kal since to the best of my knowledge Fawad has only done 2 or so telefilms and Kal is the only one that is patriotic. And yep I really do like these type of telefilms or dramas as they send across a nice message that is needed in these times...if only people paid heed to it :\

@trouble_maker: I'm sorry I forget your name but is it Bina or Binnish?
Moving on, Fawad is a bit of a recluse hence one doesn't see much of his real life so one can only know so much.
And yes I agree that there are too many limitations in Pakistan that one person or even a group of people seem to little in comparison but as I said before by not doing anything and choosing to remain passive you have in a way made a decision to let things be. Plus it just seems like giving up and while taking a stand seems idealistic, a change has to start from somewhere. One can at least do whatever they can to change their life and maybe those of others around them?
I agree with Arena on the awareness and movement part...if nothing one can at least create awareness and eradicate ignorance.
Amber_1 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Seert, thanks a lot for this! I heard about this telefilm but was never tempted enough to watch it for some reason. =S

I love how you described the message mixed with your own thoughts. Yes we are the future of Pakistan, only if we didn't have people like Zaid Hamid leading us and 'shaping' our thoughts.

The sad part is, the youth isn't very different either. There isn't much motivation left to bring a change to the system. Everyone is just going with the flow, trying to get out of the country, or shaping their own careers. Not many people are concerned about this country as a whole.

I really hope they make more of these thought provoking telefilms/dramas.
367945 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Amber_1

Seert, thanks a lot for this! I heard about this telefilm but was never tempted enough to watch it for some reason. =S

I love how you described the message mixed with your own thoughts. Yes we are the future of Pakistan, only if we didn't have people like Zaid Hamid leading us and 'shaping' our thoughts.

The sad part is, the youth isn't very different either. There isn't much motivation left to bring a change to the system. Everyone is just going with the flow, trying to get out of the country, or shaping their own careers. Not many people are concerned about this country as a whole.

I really hope they make more of these thought provoking telefilms/dramas.

Your welcome and lol will you be watching it now? I can understand your hesitation and as I said above I only watched it as a Fawad fan but that's not completely true since I haven't seen a lot of his other work...
I think the telefilm is quite good so it grows on you and you just want to see the end and how this diverse group of people will come together (b/c of course they will!).
Ok my knowledge of the current affairs in Pakistan is very limited so I just googled that guy you mentioned, and he's been labeled as Pakistan's Glenn Beck which is definitely not a plus point.
But ya anyways like you said there's no motivation for the greater good and everyone cares about themselves. A lot of middle class Pakistanis are outside the country and those who aren't are trying their best to get out,. The rest are the rich folks who are enjoying the corruption while the poor are suffering as a result of it. Ahh the wonders of Pakistan :)