malluangel thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago
The Discussion of the Week

This week, let us discuss the amazing amount of rubbish that is shown on the big screen. In Bollywood, it has become a staple, no movie is complete without some sexual reference, but for movies that come from a typically reserved part of the country, many movies these days are awfully loud.
It seems three out of five movies that are made, you cannot watch with your family!

So what are your views on the increasing maturity levels of southern cinema.
-Clothes
-Actions
-Scenes
-etc.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ammoos thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Great topic..
Though movies are good i find the songs awefully weird and sometimes the locations and the costumes doesnt go with the story and the characterisations..
As for watching it family.. its just🤢None of the movies can be trusted.. you have to go with your friends to watch it peacefully😛
supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Nice Topic! My take on this... I am sort of open to this happening change in southern cinema... you gotta admit that gone are the days where everything had to look neat and clean... i mean those films still do work depending on storyline... but at the same time, directors, producers, and actors are taking different approaches to filims... and these different approaches automatically create a need to be .. i guess more explicit..
as for clothes, i guess the glamour quotient is much in demand these days.. but at the same time, the person who's wearing the attire should also be able to look dignified and not look cheap..
costumes also have to suit the script
Action as in the heavy dose of violence... welll it's another bold approach... but it shouldn't be overdone... the audience shouldn't get too grossed out by it.. and just like the costumes,, the amount of action needed should only be dependant on the script
And finally for scenes.. ok.. since you made the bollywood connection.. i think that if one were to go sexually explicit.. it should be done in a dignified manner... and definitely not reach the point where you just want to stop watching the film...
basically the line should be drawn between Artistic vs. Vulgar
but at the same time.. i agree with the fact that not all these films come with a guaranteed tag "To be enjoyed with family"
it depends on how each individual would perceive these scenes.. and in that case.. the viewer has to be mature themselves to view such contents..
but yess... watching movies with friends make life soo much easier😆
overall.. i personally don't feel there's anything wrong with the bold approach that's being taken these days.. however, there is a certain way in which they should be represented
Edited by supercool3 - 13 years ago
x.sunayna.x thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Great topic !
I agree with everyone ^
In my opinion the film industry - in India as a whole, relies heavily on viewers as most films are profit driven.. Gen Y are a lot more liberal and open minded to these changes ( in clothing, action/violence and sexual references), given the exception of some people. So the changes were definitely due ..
In Tollywood , Kollywood etc, I find that costumes are taken in two completley different directions. At one extreme the clothes are dated, or not quite what fits the scene and at the other, its more skimpy - and tacky.. a center line kind of has to be drawn.
Violence in south films can be a bit gorey, but I guess its something you get used to. As long as its not over done !
But I can definitely say I watch a lot more movies with my friends than with my family .. and there are reasons for that :P
malluangel thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
ok so i never really gave my take, what im saying is, we cant always stay all prim and proper, we have to grow, but like you guys said, the line has to be drawn.
i mean if a sex scene is part of the script, if its relevent, do it! but if its just cuz you want some so called glamour, thats just ridiculous!
and costumes good god! i mean we rely heavily on song sequences in foreign locals, but it should somehow be attatched to the movie, i mean try to stay a little in character....
but then just normally, like all the suggestive language, i mean im malayalee, and that industry as far as im concerned was a very "clean" enviornment, for years it was all clean comedy and family stories, but these days you have oldish actors making just bad vulgar jokes and dancing around with girls half their age and doing some "scenes" unnecessary scenes as far as im concered etc.
i mean being modern is one thing, being just cheap is another!

were an industry where alot of the people go to the movies with their family as an outinng or something still, and there just arent any clean films anymore!

its just embarressing! like the sexual innuendo alone! i spend half of a film either staring intently at the ceiling/ floor/ wall or avoiding eye contact with anyone!
padindoo thumbnail

Nice topic. My feeling is that violence is overdone in Tamil and Telugu movies. I dont know abt Kannada/Malayalam movies as I have not watched them. And the clothes esp for the actresses are too tacky..I also think most songs are picturised to please(titillate) male audiences.And the comedy scenes are increasingly vulgar.