TV Stars dance to Rajeev Surti's moves

ashiandyuvirock thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
TV stars dance to Rajeev Surti's moves

By: Rashmi Rajput
November 26, 2005

Rajeev Surti
Star One's Nach Baliye has done wonders to the popularity of TV star couples. But irrespective of the results of the show, the biggest winners of the events are the choreographers who have trained the couples. One such choreographer is Rajeev Surti, who is the choreographer for Rajeshwari and Varun Badola.

Surti, a 30-year-old resident of Model Town, Mulund (W), says he is glad to be choreographing Varun and Rajeshwari. His association with the show began when he got a call from SOL Entertainment Agency. Rajeev explains, "The agency called me in Aug, asking me if I was interested in choreographing the couple. The concept sounded challenging so I I took it up."

Surti says that with brilliant dancers like Malaika Arora Khan, Farhan Akhtar and Saroj Khan judging the show, his task was challenging right from the beginning.

"In the episode aired on Nov 17, Saroj Khan had said Varun and Rajeshwari were the best performers of the day. I agree with her. Rajeshwari is a great dancer and Varun has a deep understanding of rhythm so working with them is fun," says Surit, who practices with the couple for for about two hours everyday.

"We have seven days to work for the next show. In that time, we finalise the song, the steps, costume and make up. We usually practice after 9.30 pm everyday," says Surti.

Commenting on their chances of winning, he says, "Rajeshwari and Varun are one of the most promising couples on the show and I hope they win. Every week we try and put together a performance that is unique," he says. So far Rajeev has choreographed eight songs for the show.

Surti's love for choreographing began when he was in college. "Once during my zoology class I started feeling terribly restless. That's when I decided I had to give up my dissection box and pursue dance," says the dancer at heart. Once the decision was made, Surti did not take much time to conquer the world. He won college competitions like Malhar and Kiran and joined choreographer Zubin's camp.

"My big break came when I got to choreograph a BBC awards show in London in March 2003. I got the offer through a call from Popcorn Entertainment run by Suniel Shetty. After that I got to choreograph many s shows," he says.

Rajeev has choreographed the music video Kehana To Hai, directed by Arjun Sablok and sung by Kumar Sanu and also choreographed actor Hrithik for the song Tum from the film Na Tum Jano Na Hum. He's also assisted the choreographer of the song Oh Ri Chori from Lagaan.

Now Rajeev wants to make it big in tinsel town and aspires to be as successful as Farah Khan. "I am currently tied up with Nach Baliye and a movie Zinda directed by Sanjay Gupta. I'm choreographing for the title track being picturised on Lara Dutta and Shivani Kashyap. But eventually, I want to direct a film like Farah Khan," he adds.

'I want to be like Farah Khan'

Rapid fire round with Rajeev

Best choreographer Saroj Khan
Best Actor Salman Khan
Best actress Kareena Kapoor
Best dancer Hrithik Roshan
Best Nache Bailye pair Shilpa and Apurva
Best International performer Michael Jackson
Prime requisite to be a Dancer Fitness and hard work
Favourite musical Singing in the Rain, Chicago
On Mulund It's a quiet suburb with friendly people

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ashiandyuvirock thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Credit: mid-day.com

TV stars dance to Rajeev Surti's moves
desirekills thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
yeyyyyyyy rajeev i also agree dat the best couple wz apoorva and shilpa!!

RAJEEV IS GR8 THO..HES SOOOOOOOO TALENTED!!!
XXX