Scripts are not important: Sajid Khan

laly thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

One of the highlights of the day was a discussion in which filmmaker Sajid Khan claimed that scripts were 'not important'

Satyen K Bordoloi

Posted On Monday, October 25, 2010 at 06:38:40 PM

As the Mumbai Film Festival reached the midway point on Sunday, it showed signs of maturity that was much expected of the event. Besides the usual film screenings, three events made the day for anyone who attended all or either one of these.

Filmmaker Zoya Akhtar speaks during a discussion involving India's women directors at the Mumbai Film Festival (Pics: Satyen K Bordoloi)

The morning stage was expected to be both fiery and enlightened as the fantastic eight of India's emerging woman filmmakers shared the stage together. Moderated by journalist Nandini Ramanath, seated together were Sooni Taraporevala, Nandita Das, Zoya Akthar, Anusha Rizvi, Sona Jain, Bela Negi, Rajshree Ohja and Leena Yadav.

Zoya had the audience in splits when refusing to be embarrassed about having mood swings or crying on sets, she said, "On my sets I will cry if I want to. I will be in all my hormonal glory. As a man, you have chosen to be part of my set, so you handle it, boy."

Rajshree Ojha's comment that the other upside to making Aisha was that she got to check out clothes and shoes, drew many giggles from the audience, many of whom were women filmmakers themselves.

Different topics were discussed about women and cinema, sexism, difficulty of funding for women, stereotyping, control issues etc. What was most beautiful to see is that these 8 lovely women not only refused to be cowed down by anything, but proved themselves to be stronger and more intelligent than their male counterparts.

Sajid Khan looked a little peeved after the audience at a scriptwriting discussion ganged up against him for saying scripts are 'not important'

Their intelligence and sensitivity shone further in the afternoon in a session on the importance of scriptwriting. TV funnyman and Bollywood director Sajid Khan simply refused to accept that scripts are important. For him, stars make films succeed; story or script are secondary.

Anjum Rajabali proved to be the best moderator of the festival so far by not only asking questions but also vehemently involving himself in the discussions. He patiently tried to make Sajid Khan understand that, yes, stars were important, but without good stories, it did not matter how many stars or moons shone in a film. Sajid Khan, despite the protests from the audience that included many filmmakers, writers and producers, refused to budge from his position blatantly stating at one point that "I know what will work."

To that, Shama Zaidi retorted in an uncharacteristically 'polite' manner that the reason it 'works' is because we merely copy successful western films which Hollywood arrives at after much hard work. "Obviously there's 75% chance that it will work for Sajid even if he is a half-competent filmmaker. If it has worked in one language, chances are it will work in another," she reasoned.

One of the biggest draws of the evening was Japanese filmmaker Takeshi Kitano's violent tour de force Outrage, a film that caused a lot of ripples at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year. The screening was held at Chandan cinema, which was completely packed thanks to the buzz surrounding the film. However, while opinions remain divided (as with most of Kitano's films), there were a fair number of people who walked out, unable to bear the gruesome, visceral violence shown in his depiction of the downfall of a yakuza family.

The evening show at PVR, saw the screening of Dimensions Mumbai, one of the newer sections in the 12 year old festival, where 24 films made by Mumbaikars below the age of 25 were screened. Though many of them were clichd, a few showed promise.

The screen may have been grainy, the production may have been amateurish, the sound design may have been cacophonous at many places, what was right for most of the films, was that the filmmakers hearts were in the right place. Tackling societal, class and environmental issues, the filmmakers showed far more maturity and grasp of the reality of Mumbai than our delusional Bollywood filmmakers. Aamchi Mumbai's very own aspiring filmmakers thus rocked the screen. But for how long can these promising kids keep up this sensitivity and refuse to become a buyable commodity, would be the test that would prove their worth in history.

At the moment though, all does not seem to be lost for Indian cinema.

-- With inputs from Suprateek Chatterjee

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

What a shock coming from Sajid😲 His movies have the best stories/scripts of the decade😲🤣

chatpati900 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Well that explains a lot. Considering the fact that his movies have no story whatsoever, I can't say I would have expected anything else from Sajid Khan. This guy really irritates me. He walks around claiming to be Mr. Funny Guy when all he does is make crude jokes at the expense of others. His movies have made an equally lame attempt at comedy so Sajid, maybe its time to wake up and realize that, lo and behold, the script does matter for a movie. A bunch of people laughing for no apparent reason at the climax of a movie is not exactly comedy. Who would've thought?
Edited by chatpati900 - 13 years ago
bollywoodbabe1 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
🤣 Yes it is quite evident from his films that sricpts play no importance, infact I wonder if there is any script at all!
live_life thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Wow this guy is nuts. NO script NO movie...geez
AreYaar thumbnail
Didn't expect anything better from Sajid either *rolls eyes*.....

LOL@ Zoya Akhtar's comment....hahaha
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Really stars make a movie? And here me the moron always thought it was movies (obviously with a good script!) that make stars!!! So how exactly did all the stars become stars?? 😕

Btw why was he even invited to this event?! Jeezz what a waste!

Edited by LifeOLicious - 13 years ago
laly thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Writers Blocked

VL

Posted On Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 03:11:49 AM

Sajid Khan and Stoneman Murders director Manish Gupta had an ugly spat at the MAMI forum in Chandan Cinema on Sunday afternoon.

Manish Gupta

Talking to Mumbai Mirror, Manish says, "Yes, Sajid and I had a war of words. I didn't like what he said about scriptwriters in our country."

What exactly did Sajid say? Alleges Manish, "Sajid said that we don't have good scriptwriters in India, which is why Indian filmmakers tend to copy Hollywood films."

Manish says that he retaliated. "I told him that there is no lack of courage in Indian writers. It is just that directors in India don't treat writers very well and even underpay them, which is why many writers like Abbas Tyrewala, Anurag Kashyap, Aneez Bazmee, Rumi Jaffrey, Milap Zaveri, Sanjay Chhel and Manoj Tyagi move on to become directors."

Manish further alleged, "What Sajid said to that, he shook me up very badly.

He said that all the names that I have quoted are directors who know nothing about what the audience wants, whose films have flopped, and who have consequently gone back to writing." The argument then got uglier and the mike had to be taken away from Manish. "Yes, I was very upset and angry," said he.

While a friend of Sajid said, "It was a forum and there are bound to be discussions," Sajid himself remained unavailable for comment. He must have been renting the latest Hollywood DVD.

LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
To that, Shama Zaidi retorted in an uncharacteristically 'polite' manner that the reason it 'works' is because we merely copy successful western films which Hollywood arrives at after much hard work. "Obviously there's 75% chance that it will work for Sajid even if he is a half-competent filmmaker. If it has worked in one language, chances are it will work in another," she reasoned.

hahahhaha good one!
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: laly

Writers Blocked

VL

Posted On Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 03:11:49 AM

Sajid Khan and Stoneman Murders director Manish Gupta had an ugly spat at the MAMI forum in Chandan Cinema on Sunday afternoon.

Manish Gupta

Talking to Mumbai Mirror, Manish says, "Yes, Sajid and I had a war of words. I didn't like what he said about scriptwriters in our country."

What exactly did Sajid say? Alleges Manish, "Sajid said that we don't have good scriptwriters in India, which is why Indian filmmakers tend to copy Hollywood films."

Manish says that he retaliated. "I told him that there is no lack of courage in Indian writers. It is just that directors in India don't treat writers very well and even underpay them, which is why many writers like Abbas Tyrewala, Anurag Kashyap, Aneez Bazmee, Rumi Jaffrey, Milap Zaveri, Sanjay Chhel and Manoj Tyagi move on to become directors."

Manish further alleged, "What Sajid said to that, he shook me up very badly.

He said that all the names that I have quoted are directors who know nothing about what the audience wants, whose films have flopped, and who have consequently gone back to writing." The argument then got uglier and the mike had to be taken away from Manish. "Yes, I was very upset and angry," said he.

While a friend of Sajid said, "It was a forum and there are bound to be discussions," Sajid himself remained unavailable for comment. He must have been renting the latest Hollywood DVD.

Man this guy is unbelievable! He really needs a reality check! It's pathetic that cuz of losers with this type of thinking, good scriptwriters are never given a chance in this industry.....nobody is willing to care about the STORY....everyone is busy filling up the pockets of overpaid "stars"....Why is Sajid even IN Bollywood then?? Go to the source directly and go work with Hollywood scriptwriters then, why don't you Sajid?? Since only THEY seem to be the good ones......there doesn't seem to be any talent in India other than the "big stars" you make your movies with, right?