Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

friends_rock thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
for the finals tom
it wont be really exciting as we all know spain are the favourite..
but i REALLY REALLY WANT holland to make spain work REALLY hard for the title.
just dont throw it away...make them work harder... that would BE FUN!
ProdigalStudent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ShadowKisses

LMAO. The wet players are always a treat. It's at times like these where I wish German shirts were better fitted -- like Podolski's. It's always sticking on to him while the rest of the teams' shirts are so loose :( Same with Uruguay, except Forlan's shirt is just right while everyone else has loose shirts.

I'm not going to lie, I have a love-hate (more love than hate, though) relationship with the 2006 final but over all I liked it despite the penalties. I loved the drama but hated that it ended up in Zidane being sent off and in penalties. I've never understood why Brazil are so susceptible to Mexico - Mexico is a good team but Brazil just doesn't deal with them like they handle others. But for the final, the only way I see a mildly entertaining game is if Netherlands doesn't let Spain dictate the pace of the game. If they attack-attack-attack and don't think much about defending unless Spain is on the counterattack, they've got the chance to win and we've got a fairly entertaining game. I hope that sort of happens because if Spain dominates posession, and Netherlands plays defense, it's going to end up 0-1 to Spain and that's boring. They've got such great players but they're so minimalistic in their approach and I think that doesn't make for a good game. Here's hoping the Dutch really do upset their balance but that Spain wins despite it -- because I don't think they're going to end up with a better team to get the WC.
Now that Germany's won third place, I feel so disappointed because IMO, they were one of the most entertaining teams this WC. Sucks that they weren't one of the finalists but they played very well today despite missing so many of their players. Uruguay also pitched in a great effort, though.

@Italics: I KNOW! It's truly tragic to see them wear such loose clothes! And I swear, would it hurt the Germany NT to remove their jerseys??? They've such hot guys! 😆 I swear I've got such a crush on Muller and Ballack too, but he's still in recovery! Regarding the 2006 finals - You do make some good points there! I admit the match was really entertaining to watch until the head-butt! Thats when it all started plummeting down for me - Zidane was my favorite player in the last WC - so it really ruined my mood even though I liked both France/Italy because I wanted a clean match, you know? It's the finals. Add to that the fact that it went to penalties - I don't really enjoy 'penalties' in general for deciding a win, but for me it's very anticlimatic and disappointing to have the finals end up with a penalty.

About Brazil losing to Mexico: I KNOW! I was shocked when I found out Mexico won against Brazil in Copa America! But you know it does make sense in a way - I've always akined football to kind of like rock/paper/scissors - every team seems to have a weakness which at least one other team can exploit! Like Brazil with Mexico! Mexico with Argentina! Argentina with Germany! Germany with Italy! Italy with Brazil and so forth... I mean this world cup itself is proof of that - with Australia (rock), Germany (paper), Serbia (scissors) - ditto Spain's group - only difference being that when teams are from the same 'element' like both are rock - then instead of a tie the stronger team of the two win. Anyways I'll stop - LOL you must find my explanation insane!

About Spain - I agree that they've really not been entertaining to watch in this WC - I attribute that for three reasons. One, Torres being out-of-form really hurts the attacking prowess of this team - In Euro 2008 he was the one who dribbled past the defenders and tried to attack, opening up goal-scoring opportunities for Villa et all! That goal in Euro 08 finals is just an example of how brilliant he is when he is on-form! 👏 Secondly, Spain now play with two holding-midfielders than the one they played with in Euro 08 - so that gives them a much more defensive approach. And last but not the least, like they say it takes two hands to clap - the teams Spain have been playing against have really played safe. They have adopted such an overly defensive approach - I mean they don't even TRY to get the ball as if they've already accepted that Spain are going to win it by default because of their reputation! And regarding Netherlands vs Spain: Actually I don't think the Netherlands are going to fall into that 'defensive' trap and pull back when it comes to Spain because unlike most teams they've never played against this Spanish team not since the euro atleast - so they don't have any such complex in their head. I mean I've bee reading some articles by the dutch and they're really going for the win here! 😆 And honestly if they play as well as their confidence indicates then it will be an interesting match for sure! Hopefully the match is well-contested... I like both teams but I'm rooting for a Spain win obviously, however since I've a soft spot for the dutch - I will be happy with a dutch win too!

About Germany: lol okay I've a lot to say on them so I'll leave it for tommorow - but you know I'd rather Germany lose the semi-final than the final - i think losing the final is much worse - I think it can completely suck the hope out of you - because you go so far, beat strong teams only to lose in the finals and it's a very painful feeling knowing that you were so close to winning that 'elusive' cup but didn't - and especially watching the winners celebrating and holding that cup which could have easily been yours makes the pain that much worse. At least this way Germany leaves the competition in good spirits, after giving us the best match of this WC so far! 😊

Edited by ProdigalStudent - 14 years ago
ProdigalStudent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Oh btw, here's some proof of the dutch mentality (and their rivalry against Germany):

Dirk Kuyt last night accused Germany of being scared of Spain - and promised Holland will expose their "weaknesses" in the World Cup final.

Liverpool forward Kuyt claims Germany made Spain look good in their semi final by being too defensive and promised the Dutch will not make the same mistake.

But Kuyt says Holland will go all-out attack against Spain and is confident they can defeat Vicente Del Bosque's red-hot favourites.

Kuyt said: "We are not afraid at all. You could see the Germans were afraid of Spain. They didn't try to attack. We are going to attack and then you will see weaknesses coming to the surface.

Source: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/World-Cup-final-preview-Dirk-Kuyt-says-Germany-made-Spain-look-good-but-Holland-won-t-make-the-same-mistake-and-commits-future-to-Liverpool-article520563.html#ixzz0tK6WdAeo

And another article:

Arjen Robben is adamant Holland will not allow Spain to impose their own style on the World Cup Final.

Germany failed to get to grips with Spain's slick passing game in their semi-final and paid the price when Carles Puyol powered home a late winner.

Even the German camp acknowledged their side sat back too far, allowing Xavi and Andres Iniesta to dictate the game and deny their opponents possession for long periods.

Robben does not believe his team-mates will make the same mistake."

We will defend from the front," he said. "No one here feels they are too special to get their hands dirty.

"I was really surprised with how freely Germany let Spain play on Wednesday. We have to start pressing them earlier, and far higher up the field."

However, Robben is not promising flair and panache, as was the case when Holland first contested the final in the Total Football era of Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff.

The former Chelsea player just wants to win.

"I would much prefer to win a very ugly game than lose a beautiful one," said Robben. "We can still play attractive football but we can always rely on our good organisation as well.

"If you are organised, you know one goal could be enough, which has been the case so far.

"The point is, we are in a World Cup Final. From now on, how you actually play no longer matters.

"Of course, the intent is there to play good football but the result is far more important.

"We have heard enough of talk about how our football is very nice. But it gets you nowhere. We want to achieve something."

Source: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/World-Cup-Holland-vs-Spain-Arjen-Robben-outlines-Holland-s-plan-to-cope-with-the-flair-of-the-Spanish-article522185.html#ixzz0tK7JokTA

Hopefully, this should banish everyone's doubts over here about the dutch employing a 'defensive' approach for this match! 😆 They're definitely going to bring the game to Spain! Should be very interesting to watch how the two teams play off each other! 👍🏼

Edited by ProdigalStudent - 14 years ago
Howlarious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Looking forward to the world cup final. I hope van Persie has an awesome game! and I also hope Spain don't start their theatrics.......
Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Is anyone here supporting Holland? lol Even thought paul the octopus predicted Spain, i think holland might win.
Howlarious thumbnail

Originally posted by: Zareena

Is anyone here supporting Holland? lol Even thought paul the octopus predicted Spain, i think holland might win.

I'm not 'supporting' Holland, but I'd rather Holland win than Spain..........

That octopus hasn't always been right...the Euro 2008 final was predicted WRONG...Its all over hyped stuff
Zareena thumbnail

Originally posted by: ansh25

I'm not 'supporting' Holland, but I'd rather Holland win than Spain..........

That octopus hasn't always been right...the Euro 2008 final was predicted WRONG...Its all over hyped stuff

Same here. i really wanted Brazil to be in finals but oh well now it's Holland. I do hope Octopus will be wrong this time..which team did he predicted wrong in 2008?
Howlarious thumbnail
I read that the final in Euro 2008 was predicted wrong...
Zareena thumbnail
Holland saves the goal, pheww!! SPain is playing really good.
spln thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: ProdigalStudent

However, Robben is not promising flair and panache, as was the case when Holland first contested the final in the Total Football era of Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff.

The former Chelsea player just wants to win.

"I would much prefer to win a very ugly game than lose a beautiful one," said Robben. "We can still play attractive football but we can always rely on our good organisation as well.

the dutch are sure living up to those words !!! tight game so far - the kind of tight (and thick) which can be cut with a knife!

Edited by spln - 14 years ago