ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Satish Kaushik's Bollywood journey

Satish Kaushik is a first rate actor and a first rate director. He's most famous for acting as Anil Kapoor's sidekick, Calendar, in Mr.India. His relationship with that side of the Kapoor clan has been long and he has directed a movie for Boney Kapoor, Milenge Milenge, which unfortunately has long been stuck. We spoke to Satish about his Bollywood journey.

Your film Brick Lane has released in India after 3 years. How does it feel when your film gets international acclaim but is only released after so many years in India?

It's a very important film in my career. It has released in UK, US, South Africa and got much appreciation. But in India the films are appreciated in numbers. Indians concentrate on numbers rather than content. I am happy that UTV World Movies will be showing the film on its channel and has even released it theatrically, even if it is only in one theatre all over the country. The film is about women and I am sure Indian women will identify.

How did you get the role?

Loveleen Tandon, who co-directed Slumdog Millionare, was doing the casting for Brick Lane. She approached me for the role. She asked if I would do a screen test. I told her I was an actor first and had no problems. I was in Delhi then and the minute she left I went across to a store in Connaught Place and bought the book written by Monica Ali. My only concern was if Chanu appears on every page (smiles). I loved the story and decided that I had to give the screen-test in a suit since it was a English film. And when I went I was selected.

Milenge Milenge is also releasing, what you have to say about it?

I can say only that for some reason, the film got delayed and it is nobody's fault. Sometimes it's destiny. It's a wonderful film and the actors have done a brilliant job.

It looks quite old as both Kareena and Shahid look quite different now.

The film was made in one go. When I posted the promo on Facebook I got a good response and people liked their chemistry. I am sure film will work. The film's tag says " They are back again" which is attractive. And today both are bigger stars than when it was made.

Have you made any changes in the film?

Yes, quite a bit to give it a fresh look. We have made changes in the background score. Himesh Reshmiya has given the music and it's one of the best work of his.

Rumours suggest that the actors were not promoting the film, and the film wasn't releasing because of them. Have you ever been upset with them?

No, both are like my children. I have worked with Kareena in Mujhe Kuch Kahna Hai and she is very dear to me, and so is Shahid Kapoor. I told you it's destiny.

Link http://www.starboxoffice.com/sbogallery.aspx?aid=2680&bid=2012%2fMay%2freviews_20120531_3