Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

More info found:

Lord Krishna is always decorated with peacock feathers on his head, on his crown. Those feathers are always in the directon of Srimati Radharani.

bharat9 thumbnail
A question asked by someone on net and the answer frm the source as below:

Q: why is Peacock's feathers only shown on lord krishna's forehead and not on Ram's or Shankar's forehead,
as is known that peacock is by birth the purest of all living species...

A: Each Hindu deity or Incarnation of God has his or her own distinctive iconography, usually expressing some aspect of the special nature of that deity.

Sri Krishna wears a peacock feather that reminds us of his play with the gopas and gopis of Sri Vrindavana. The male peacock especially has long been a symbol of romantic love, and the rasalila episode of Sri Krishna's life teaches us how this kind of love may be directed to God.

Shiva wears a crescent moon on his head along with the river Ganga. Shiva is the Lord of Ascetics who saved the world from destruction by catching the Ganga in his matted hair when she descended to earth. He is the friend of those whom others avoid, and his symbols reflect his nature as embracing the dark side of life along with the light.

Rama is the most human of the Incarnations, and his symbols include the bow and arrow with which he protects dharma.

Although all these deities are manifestations of the One Source, each expresses a different aspect of the Divine, revealing several of the infinite varieties in the Divine Being.

Source:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hindus-946/symbolic-depiction-peacock-feather.htm
Edited by bharat9 - 14 years ago
bharat9 thumbnail

Originally posted by: sam1903

hi rinki..
Gr8 you have bring this forum alive with jara hatke discussion and gud to see all Rfians participating in this..
even i don't think so its bad omen becoz we also keep peacock feathers for decoration purpose in our pooja ghar..
we have ladoo goplaji at our place.. so we have many things which we used to embllish our knhaji..
and no one said that it has ill effect..
but.. in recnt times i have heard this that people do kill peacock to obtain their feathers.. so on that point i agree with vibs that to to stop peacock killing this might have been spread..
and here this i found on yahoo answers may be it help you...

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

There are many beliefs and myths about peacocks.

Peacock feathers indoors: Good luck, harmony, serenity, peace of mind, relaxation and protection are all associated with the magnificent peacock.

The peacock is considered to be a bird of protection and safe guarding. This bird is also valued as a protection for the psychic self. There has been lore that writes that to have a peacock feather within the home this helps to safe guard any of the energy in the environment. Some consider them a gift from the Creator. The peacock brings harmony and joy to our mind. This bird is majestic, proud with much expression and as the male bird walks and dances to the female in courting. This reminds us of the celebration in life.

NBC displays the peacock with its tail feathers full of All-Seeing Eyes. In Hinduism... 'when the god Indra transforms himself into an animal, he becomes a peacock. In India the peacock was believed to have a thousand eyes in its feathers... In Java, the peacock was associated with the Devil. In Mosul in northern Iraq, there is a sect of Yezidis who hold that the Devil is not evil, and call him the Peacock Angel.'

Hindu: The myth is that the peacock "has angels' feathers, a devil's voice, and the walk of a thief." It is the mount of Sarasvati, goddess of wisdom and learning. It is also, sometimes, a vehicle of Lakshmi and of Brahma. When it is mounted by Kama, god of love, it represents desire. Hindu gurus are fond of using peacock feathers in darshan to deliver shaktiput to their disciples.

Japan & China: Its feather is an attribute of the goddess Kwannon.

Greek: The emblem of the bird-god Phaon. Associated with Hera, who is credited with scattering the "Argus Eyes" over its tail.

Egypt: It sometimes accompanies Isis.

Babylon. Persia: Both had a peacock throne.

src.. of the ans. is
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070619064901AAAMrVn

Thanks Sam for liking the topic.

well, after reading all the sources so far looks like we are still on 50-50!!!

btw, the original source to this answer is from following link:

http://www.crystalinks.com/peacocks.html
Khalrika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thnx all! Great info! This is just old times! I will re-read all of this once again and then post some questions.
bharat9 thumbnail
More Info:

Peacock feathers have long been treasured as a symbol of the ability to see - both the outside world as it is, and into your own heart.

source: krishan.com

Indian Peacocks or peafowl (pavo cristatus) have been domesticated for about 3000 years.
The male peacock sports about 150 of the long "eyed" peacock tail feathers with which most of us are so familiar. These feathers are shed annually during the molt and gathered as a valuable "crop" in many countries through its range.These feathers are actually long extensions of the upper tail covers. They are supported from underneath by the much shorter tail feathers. These feathers grow to be several feet long, but are shed each year just after the breeding season. Each of these long feathers also has a design near its tip which resembles an eye.

Peacock feathers are a symbol of good luck and well-being throughout Asia and most of the world. An interesting exception is in certain parts of Eastern Europe where the feather often decorated warriors of the invading Mongol hordes and thus were associated with a bad era.

source: http://www.tonyhill.net/peacockfeathers.ivnu

Edited by bharat9 - 14 years ago
bharat9 thumbnail

Peacock Feathers have been used for healing for tens of thousands of years in every culture throughout time. They are said to carry Spiritual Healing Energy that can be used to assist people seeking balance and harmony in their lives. With the proper guidelines of use, they allow the individual to connect with the Universal Healing Energy and use this energy to heal people of all of their complaints, imbalances and disease. This tradition is based on this principle

Peacock Symbolism

Peacock symbolism speaks of attributes such as:

• Glory
  • Vision
  • Royalty
  • Spirituality
  • Awakening
  • Immortality
  • Refinement
  • Incorruptibility
It is a possessor of some of the most admired human characteristics, and is a mbol of integrity and the beauty we can achieve when we endeavor to show our true colors.

In history, myth, legend and lore, the Peacock symbolism carries:

• Nobility
  • Holiness
  • Guidance
  • Protection
  • Watchfulness

In Greco-Roman mythology the Peacock is identified with Hera (Juno) who created the Peacock from Argus whose hundred eyes (seen on the tail feathers of the Peacock) symbolize the vault of heaven and the "eyes" of the stars.

In Hinduism the Peacock is associated with Lakshmi who is a deity representing benevolence, patience, kindness, compassion and good luck.

Similar to Lakshmi, the Peacock is associated with Kwan-yin in Asian spirituality. Kwan-yin (or Quan Yin) is also an emblem of love, compassionate watchfulness, good-will, nurturing, and kind-heartedness. Legend tells us she chose to remain a mortal even though she could be immortal because she wished to stay behind and aid humanity in their spiritual evolution.

In Babylonia and Persia the Peacock is seen as a guardian to royalty, and is often seen in engravings upon the thrones of royalty.

In Christianity the Peacock symbolism represents the "all-seeing" church, along with the holiness and sanctity associated with it. Additionally, the Peacock represents resurrection, renewal and immortality within the spiritual teachings of Christianity. Themes of renewal are also linked to alchemical traditions to, as many schools of thought compare the resurrecting phoenix to the modern-day Peacock.

Contemplate the powers of the Peacock when you need more vibrancy and vitality in your experience. The Peacock can also help you on your spiritual Path, and breath new life into your walk of faith.

The Peacock can rejuvenate self-esteem levels too. If you're feeling "blah" and blue, imagine the glorious, techno-color display the Peacock provides. This puts us in a proper mood to embrace your own nobility. In no time, you'll be walking tall and proud as a Peacock too!

Peacock Feathers have been used for healing for tens of thousands of years in every culture throughout time. They are said to carry Spiritual Healing Energy that can be used to assist people seeking balance and harmony in their lives. With the proper guidelines of use, they allow the individual to connect with the Universal Healing Energy and use this energy to heal people of all of their complaints, imbalances and disease. This tradition is based on this principle

Source: wiki answer http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_spiritual_meaning_of_peacock_feathers

Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

It feels like old times again 😃

As for Simhamuha, Surapadma's brother, he was killed by Lord Karthikeya just like Sura's other brothers and son. But the story I remember was different. Surapadma in his last battle fled the battlefield when he lost all his weapons and turned himself into a tree. Lord Karthikeya split him into two with his spear/javelin and transformed one half into a peacock and the other half into a cock. The peacock became his vehicle and the cock became his banner.

Some versions describe Simhamuha as a kind of Vibhishan character who constantly advised his brother to give up his evil ways but did not leave Surapadma's side. Surapadma did not kick his brother Simhamuha out neither did he tell him to leave though he continuously accused him of turning cowardly. Incidentaly Surapadma's downfall started when his sister Ajamukhi went after Sachhi Devi (Indra's wife) and her protector cut off Ajamukhi's hand. She came running back to her brother and instigated him into doing evil.

I am getting old. And my brain decrepit. Surapadma it was - Simhamuha was exactly how you describe it - #2 of the bros, who was the last one to fight. I think Kartikeya granted that he'd be Goddess Kali's vehicle, which I don't remember.

And yeah, Surapadma became a peacock, as well as a cock on his banner.

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

Thanks sam1903. There is one other myth regarding Lord Krishna. It is very common at least in the South. It is believed that an idol or picture of Lord Krishna playing the flute is unlucky. It is said that all the wealth and auspiciousness will blow away like the air in the flute. I don't know where this came from but people leave idols and pictures like these in the temple. But there are some people who are OK with the idols playing the flute.

I thought the vehicle of Goddess Saraswati, Lord Brahma is the swan and the vehicle of Kamadeva is the parrot. I have never seen these deities on the peacock. And Goddess Lakshmi is usually borne on a lotus and some books mention that she is the only one who is not borne on an animal. But I have my doubts with this.

Yeah, I agree w/ this. Goddess Saraswati's vehicle is a Swan, and Goddess Lakshmi, when she travels, does so on an owl. Have no idea about Kama-deva.
Edited by Vrisha - 14 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail
bharat9, thanks for the link to the story. It was very descriptive. This is the first time I am hearing this one. Also there was a scene in KHMK - a kind of romantic scene with Krishna and Radha and the peacock feather but I don't think that incident is described in any of our scriptures. Thanks for the info.

Khalrika, waiting to hear your explanations and questions...

Vrisha bhaiya, I didn't know that Karthikeya granted that Simhamuha was blessed to be Goddess Kali's vehicle. I thought Goddess Kali appeared on the lion long before all this happened.

About Kwan-yin/Kwannon/ Kanzeon (I think all the names refer to the same person) I remember reading that she was the merciful Goddess or the Goddess of Mercy and is an aspect of Buddha. This goddess is one of the boatmen or ferrymen buddhist aspects - a person who had the chance to attain enlightenment or Buddhahood but declined and chose to delay attaining it till everyone born in this world attains enlightenment. These aspects of Buddha show the people the way to attain enlightenment. There are 8 or 10 of the aspects - I don't remember exactly. Kanzeon represents the compassion of Buddha. Also the earlier name was Avalokiteshwara and it is believed that her legends originated from Hinduism but I was not able to trace it out.

_rajnish_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
So nice to see this forum alive with good discussion again. :) I need to go through all the discussion first
PC_fan22 thumbnail
well bharat bhaiya...i don't know about this...some people said that its bad and some says good...but i'm truly agree with vibhishan bhaiya....