Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jai sri ram thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
@ everyone!!
hey bharat bhaiyaa, very gud question!!
actually, i can't give u an answer but all i know is just tht we have some feathers in our house but now, i have some doubts like u..... do they bring bad luck???
anyway thanx all 4 ur answers
bestfan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I would say that those are just the superstitions and apprehensions in thesociety.I wont think its bad to keep a peacock feather at ones home.'cause we worship Lord Krishna and consider him and all his belongings to be very auspicious.So i say that its not bad to have a peacock feather at home.I read about this same thing 2 years ago in my english book.It was "BEAWARE OF SUPERSTITIONS."The feather is also useful to keep the lizards which we call chipkali in hindi often found on the walls of the house.And in the ancient times the people used to write with these feathers only.
Well i think its a superstition and science and technology is necessary and helpful to get off from it.
246851 thumbnail
we have a peacock feather fan,small one for puja purposes at our house and i dont think it made any diff to our luck, good or bad
i dont know about myth or scriptures, but usualy all the writers in ancient days used peacock feather as a pen and u can see the pics too, so i guess it was not considered bad luck.
bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
thank you everyone for leaving your thoughts.

once i'v found some more info i shall post it here.
Vibhishna thumbnail
It feels like old times again 😃

bharat9, yes, its been a long time and as Khalrika said, I miss those days. I am fine and hope to hear the same from you. 😊

As for Khalrika di's question - birds do shed their feathers and much much earlier it was those feathers that were collected one by one to make any decorative or useful item. That was why they cost so much - it took a really long time to collect them and for the handicraft.

As far as I know there is nothing against keeping the feathers birds drop naturally. Even quills made those days were feathers dropped by birds and not plucked from them.

@ Vrisha bhaiya,

Mostly the feathers fall when they are worn out but when birds get into fights feathers are pulled out due to the struggle. These feathers were still beautiful and not worn out (perhaps torn out) and could still be used. I have read that those who collect feathers go after the birds to pull out a feather or two and succeed in doing so by various techniques. They do not strip off all the feathers but just pull put one or two gorgeous ones.

I too did wonder why no one else of the Yadavas used peacock feathers on their crowns. Perhaps only Lord Krishna liked to do it and come to think of it I wonder if he started wearing the feather in Vrindavan or when he was in Mathura. When did he first use the feather, anyway?

As for Simhamuha, Surapadma's brother, he was killed by Lord Karthikeya just like Sura's other brothers and son. But the story I remember was different. Surapadma in his last battle fled the battlefield when he lost all his weapons and turned himself into a tree. Lord Karthikeya split him into two with his spear/javelin and transformed one half into a peacock and the other half into a cock. The peacock became his vehicle and the cock became his banner.

Some versions describe Simhamuha as a kind of Vibhishan character who constantly advised his brother to give up his evil ways but did not leave Surapadma's side. Surapadma did not kick his brother Simhamuha out neither did he tell him to leave though he continuously accused him of turning cowardly. Incidentaly Surapadma's downfall started when his sister Ajamukhi went after Sachhi Devi (Indra's wife) and her protector cut off Ajamukhi's hand. She came running back to her brother and instigated him into doing evil.

About KHMK - it was crazy. There were a few things good about it. This was the one serial that showed the Pandavas and Kauravas being affectionate brothers and then the Duryodhan being turned against his cousins and the pain of the elders when they saw what was happening. Though I could not find out where the stories came from, the feeling that the family was breaking up was there. There were some excellent locations and the title song was awesome. Some of them acted so well - just some. I was tolerating it till Sikandi came into the picture. His/Her characterisation was completely insane and I vowed never to watch that serial again. Shortly afterward the serial went off air.

bharat9 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

It feels like old times again 😃

bharat9, yes, its been a long time and as Khalrika said, I miss those days. I am fine and hope to hear the same from you. 😊

Yes, and it feels great.
I dont know where you guys are discussing any topics at the moment, hence i visited this topic and thought to give it a life!!

Thanks di, im fine too.

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

I too did wonder why no one else of the Yadavas used peacock feathers on their crowns. Perhaps only Lord Krishna liked to do it and come to think of it I wonder if he started wearing the feather in Vrindavan or when he was in Mathura. When did he first use the feather, anyway?

if i remmber correctly, i saw in 'Shri Krishna' by Ramananad Sagar that when Krishna was a little kid in Vrindavan, Nanda ji maharaj bought two peacock featherd crowns for both Krishna and Dau-bhaiya. Krishna happily wore that crown but Dau-bhaiya refused to wear it. Since then Krishna always wore the featherd-crown. Please give me few days and then I'll try and post the video link to this episode.

Edited by bharat9 - 14 years ago
Savi13 thumbnail
hi rinki..
Gr8 you have bring this forum alive with jara hatke discussion and gud to see all Rfians participating in this..
even i don't think so its bad omen becoz we also keep peacock feathers for decoration purpose in our pooja ghar..
we have ladoo goplaji at our place.. so we have many things which we used to embllish our knhaji..
and no one said that it has ill effect..
but.. in recnt times i have heard this that people do kill peacock to obtain their feathers.. so on that point i agree with vibs that to to stop peacock killing this might have been spread..
and here this i found on yahoo answers may be it help you...

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

There are many beliefs and myths about peacocks.

Peacock feathers indoors: Good luck, harmony, serenity, peace of mind, relaxation and protection are all associated with the magnificent peacock.

The peacock is considered to be a bird of protection and safe guarding. This bird is also valued as a protection for the psychic self. There has been lore that writes that to have a peacock feather within the home this helps to safe guard any of the energy in the environment. Some consider them a gift from the Creator. The peacock brings harmony and joy to our mind. This bird is majestic, proud with much expression and as the male bird walks and dances to the female in courting. This reminds us of the celebration in life.

NBC displays the peacock with its tail feathers full of All-Seeing Eyes. In Hinduism... 'when the god Indra transforms himself into an animal, he becomes a peacock. In India the peacock was believed to have a thousand eyes in its feathers... In Java, the peacock was associated with the Devil. In Mosul in northern Iraq, there is a sect of Yezidis who hold that the Devil is not evil, and call him the Peacock Angel.'

Hindu: The myth is that the peacock "has angels' feathers, a devil's voice, and the walk of a thief." It is the mount of Sarasvati, goddess of wisdom and learning. It is also, sometimes, a vehicle of Lakshmi and of Brahma. When it is mounted by Kama, god of love, it represents desire. Hindu gurus are fond of using peacock feathers in darshan to deliver shaktiput to their disciples.

Japan & China: Its feather is an attribute of the goddess Kwannon.

Greek: The emblem of the bird-god Phaon. Associated with Hera, who is credited with scattering the "Argus Eyes" over its tail.

Egypt: It sometimes accompanies Isis.

Babylon. Persia: Both had a peacock throne.

src.. of the ans. is
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070619064901AAAMrVn

Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: bharat9

Yes, and it feels great.
I dont know where you guys are discussing any topics at the moment, hence i visited this topic and thought to give it a life!!

Thanks di, im fine too.

Great!

Originally posted by: bharat9

if i remmber correctly, i saw in 'Shri Krishna' by Ramananad Sagar that when Krishna was a little kid in Vrindavan, Nanda ji maharaj bought two peacock featherd crowns for both Krishna and Dau-bhaiya. Krishna happily wore that crown but Dau-bhaiya refused to wear it. Since then Krishna always wore the featherd-crown. Please give me few days and then I'll try and post the video link to this episode.

Well, meaning no offense, I do not know if the story is true. Many pictures, paintings depict the little Lord Krishna wearing just the turban without the peacock feather and hence I got this doubt.

I too have seen that scene in Shri Krishna and many other serials and movies show different stories as to how Lord Krishna wears the peacock feather for the first time.

I really do not know if anything is mentioned in our scriptures regarding this.
Edited by Vibhishna - 14 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: sam1903

hi rinki..
Gr8 you have bring this forum alive with jara hatke discussion and gud to see all Rfians participating in this..
even i don't think so its bad omen becoz we also keep peacock feathers for decoration purpose in our pooja ghar..
we have ladoo goplaji at our place.. so we have many things which we used to embllish our knhaji..
and no one said that it has ill effect..
but.. in recnt times i have heard this that people do kill peacock to obtain their feathers.. so on that point i agree with vibs that to to stop peacock killing this might have been spread..
and here this i found on yahoo answers may be it help you...

Thanks sam1903. There is one other myth regarding Lord Krishna. It is very common at least in the South. It is believed that an idol or picture of Lord Krishna playing the flute is unlucky. It is said that all the wealth and auspiciousness will blow away like the air in the flute. I don't know where this came from but people leave idols and pictures like these in the temple. But there are some people who are OK with the idols playing the flute.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker There are many beliefs and myths about peacocks.

Peacock feathers indoors: Good luck, harmony, serenity, peace of mind, relaxation and protection are all associated with the magnificent peacock.

The peacock is considered to be a bird of protection and safe guarding. This bird is also valued as a protection for the psychic self. There has been lore that writes that to have a peacock feather within the home this helps to safe guard any of the energy in the environment. Some consider them a gift from the Creator. The peacock brings harmony and joy to our mind. This bird is majestic, proud with much expression and as the male bird walks and dances to the female in courting. This reminds us of the celebration in life.

I didn't know the peacock represented so much. This is quite a lot of information. 😲 😲 😲

NBC displays the peacock with its tail feathers full of All-Seeing Eyes. In Hinduism... 'when the god Indra transforms himself into an animal, he becomes a peacock. In India the peacock was believed to have a thousand eyes in its feathers... In Java, the peacock was associated with the Devil. In Mosul in northern Iraq, there is a sect of Yezidis who hold that the Devil is not evil, and call him the Peacock Angel.'

Hindu: The myth is that the peacock "has angels' feathers, a devil's voice, and the walk of a thief." It is the mount of Sarasvati, goddess of wisdom and learning. It is also, sometimes, a vehicle of Lakshmi and of Brahma. When it is mounted by Kama, god of love, it represents desire. Hindu gurus are fond of using peacock feathers in darshan to deliver shaktiput to their disciples.

I thought the vehicle of Goddess Saraswati, Lord Brahma is the swan and the vehicle of Kamadeva is the parrot. I have never seen these deities on the peacock. And Goddess Lakshmi is usually borne on a lotus and some books mention that she is the only one who is not borne on an animal. But I have my doubts with this.

Japan & China: Its feather is an attribute of the goddess Kwannon.

Do you mean Kanzeon Bosatzu? The Goddess of Mercy in Budhism? This is quite interesting . . . I read that she/he (sorry don't know the gender) is represented as the swan or the phoenix. Didn't know that the peacock was attributed to this Goddess. But it could be - I saw a picture sometime ago - the Goddess' shadow takes the form of that resembles a peacock/swan/phoenix - didn't know which when I saw the picture.

As an aside, does anyone watch Saiyuki / Journey to the West (Its an anime series)?

Greek: The emblem of the bird-god Phaon. Associated with Hera, who is credited with scattering the "Argus Eyes" over its tail.

Egypt: It sometimes accompanies Isis.

Babylon. Persia: Both had a peacock throne.

src.. of the ans. is
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070619064901AAAMrVn

Wow! That's quite a lot. Thanks.
Edited by Vibhishna - 14 years ago
bharat9 thumbnail
First of all, a big thanks to everyone for showing such a great interest and participating in this discussion and allowing this forum to be once more active and alive!!! 👏👏👏

just found this site from Krishna.com. Pls follow the link and the story narrated by Harinama Chinatamani Dasi as Why Krishna wears Peacock Feathers.

http://www.krishna.com/en/node/1676

Please do leave your comments once you have listen the story.

Edited by bharat9 - 14 years ago