SAJID KHAN'S INTERVIEWW (part 2 added)

4492 thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
IN FEATURES Sort by : Whats New - Most Rated - Most Popular - Most Emailed

"I have not antagonised Karan" - Sajid Khan [Part 1]

By Joginder Tuteja, May 12, 2010 - 11:53 IST

Housefull is a success and a huge money spinner at that. Still, rather than being ecstatic or seen jumping with joy, director Sajid Khan can be caught in a rather calm and composed mood. Maintaining the stance of 'I never had doubts around the success of Housefull and hence I stay on to be what I was before the film's release', Sajid Khan replies to some of the most pertinent queries that have come his way in the recent past. In the first of this two part conversation with Joginder Tuteja, Sajid Khan talks about the sheer differentiation factor between a hit and a flop film, the challenge that lies ahead in the biggies that would follow in 2010, some brickbats that he has faced for the climax of Housefull and rumours of him antagonising Karan Johar.

On the success of Housefull
The film has done exceptionally well across the world, People are watching it again and again. Eventually, it is business which is the most important factor because it indicates that people are liking the film. Business indicates that the film has become a blockbuster. I have been to cinemas and I can see that audiences are having a blast. My quotient is that blockbuster film means that people have liked it. A flop means that people haven't liked it. It's as simple as that. No good film can ever flop. Also, no bad film (with rarely an exception or two) can ever be a hit.

On his confidence as a filmmaker
I am extremely confident about the kind of films that I made. I don't think I would ever be stepping into a zone where I am unsure of a film's success. It should not be tricky. People expect general entertainment from films. I would rather play safe and make a blockbuster rather than not being safe and have my investors worrying.

On antagonising Karan Johar by stating that his Housefull will be the biggest money spinner of the year, hence pushing aside My Name Is Khan
I have not antagonised Karan. He and I have been friends for 15 years. Same holds good for Shah Rukh too. I would never ever dream of saying something that would hurt a friend. I am friend's friend. What happened was that on being asked whether Housefull would be the biggest hit of the year, I said 'Yes, I am confident'. When I was further told that so far, MNIK was the biggest hit with Rs.74 crore in India, I again said that at least in India, Housefull will do much more. I also said that in overseas I had no chance because there, Karan and Shah Rukh are a multi billion dollar entity. By no means I was looking at antagonising anyone. And if I have done that, then I am sorry. In fact Karan and I spoke about this two days back and had a hearty laugh over it.

In overseas I had no chance because there, Karan and Shah Rukh are a multi billion dollar entity
On challenging biggies like Kites, No Problem and Tees Maar Khan by marking Housefull as the biggest hit of 2010'
By no means am I challenging the makers of these films. If these films do well and break Housefull record then that would be good. It would mean that money is coming in. The matter of the fact that nobody in the industry will ever be happy with a flop, whether it's his own or someone else's. Everyone should be good and happy with films working well. When 3 Idiots did so well, I was so happy. Today, with Housefull doing well, it has sent positive signals that audience are coming back to theatres.

The matter of the fact that nobody in the industry will ever be happy with a flop
On the climax of Housefull which has seen quite some criticism coming his way
I can completely agree with that. Still, I would say that I am proud of the film's climax. See, I could have taken a typical climax where people were hanging from houses or could have got a similar effect by indulging into group slapstick. I didn't do that and thought of laughing gas episode. Now the fact is that whether audience have liked it or not, they have certainly not ignored it. This is something about which I was very sure. I knew that people would talk about it. It's a very performance oriented climax. When have you ever seen characters mouthing off serious lines with a laugh? Even in my future films, I would have a similar approach of something that has been never seen before.

(Visit this space again for part 2 where Sajid would talk about his perceived war with critics, fulfilling the promise of giving his actors the biggest success of their career, accusations of being termed as arrogant and why it doesn't matter to him if he is not winning many friends in the industry)
Edited by nkapoor - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

4492 thumbnail
he is sooo over-confident and does not take any sort of criticism, where else he critices everyone else, is this person for real? he shud be glad that nothing is happening now days and people r looking for entertainment in the form of locales, bikins etc. and he had no competition, otherwise this movie cud've bombed! it is definately not the best film of the year! this movie will hardly win any awards!
-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
None of Akshay's films win awards. They are total money spinners.
4492 thumbnail

Originally posted by: maddy1973

None of Akshay's films win awards. They are total money spinners.

agreed i only liked him in the movie andaaz!
4492 thumbnail

"Critics don't know anything about films" - Sajid Khan [Part 2]

By Joginder Tuteja, May 13, 2010 - 11:29 IST

Yesterday, Sajid Khan spoke about the sheer differentiation factor between a hit and a flop film, the challenge that lies ahead in the biggies that would follow in 2010, some brickbats that he has faced for the climax of Housefull and rumours of him antagonising Karan Johar. In the second and concluding part of this conversation with Joginder Tuteja, Sajid Khan talks about his perceived war with critics, fulfilling the promise of giving his actors the biggest success of their career, accusations of being termed as arrogant and why it doesn't matter to him if he is not winning many friends in the industry.

On his war of words with critics
Honestly, critics don't know anything about Hindi or English films. I have been a critic myself; I have made fun of films made by others and also my own. Still, the fact remains that there is no critic in the world who has given two back to back blockbusters. When I started off as a director, I said that I would make a hit film and now I have done it twice in a row. Nobody makes movies for critics and those who do are foolish. In any case, in 90% of cases, critics and audience think differently. This has been proven across the world. Sholay was written off by critics in India while big money spinners like Transforrmers as well as Quantum of Solace were also given thumbs down by them. Who are these critics? Their job is to give 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars for movies that 'they' have liked. How do they know what is it that audience is going to like?

Honestly, critics don't know anything about Hindi or English films
On certain critics coming down heavily on Housefull
I had promised myself that I won't read a single review of Housefull and I stuck to my stand. For me, a review is to go to a theatre and see audience reaction. It's like when are in a play, you don't wait to read a review around the points where audience is clapping. Your experience is first hand because you can see the reaction of audience through your own eyes. I can openly say this to any critic in the world that sit across my on the table, talk about films and I will wipe you off in 5 minutes. Critics don't know jack sh^&. As for my own Housefull getting a handful of bad reviews then actually I am happy with the current state. I had thought that I would be mauled off.

On not budging from his stand when it comes to critics
I am sure that even if I go on to make Gone with the Winds, I would never ever get good reviews in my life because critics don't like me. So why the hell should I bother about what they are going to write about me? Personally, I have never seen a movie after reading a review. A review should be different from synopsis which is written on the DVD cover. Now that can help you decide if you wish to watch that film or not. As for critics, then well they have never ever made any difference to the box office status of a film.

On fulfilling the promise of giving his actors the biggest hit ever of their career
Actually I haven't been able to fulfil that promise. I regret that. After all, Boman Irani still has 3 Idiots which is a much bigger success, right (chuckles)? On a serious note though, other actors from the film have come back and reminded me of the promise that I had made. They are all very happy. More than anything else, they are spellbound by the confidence that I have always carried. I sense that.

I have been a critic myself; I have made fun of films made by others and also my own
On being termed as arrogant
Am I being arrogant? But then who are these people who are calling me so? The point is not about arrogance or over confidence. The point is about having faith and belief in one's ability. I have full faith in my audience and as long as I carry an ability to know what the audience wants, I am in good zone. I am talking about that 98% audience which wants to enjoy films or TV shows/hosting that I do. I will never go wrong and the day audience rejects me, I would go out.

On not winning too many friends
In any case, the industry has never ever been fond of me. After all I have been making fun of them on TV (laughs). Still, over a period of time, as they have started getting to know more of me, they realise that I am a fun guy. I would say that I have still gained a lot of friends in the film industry. Having said that, at the end of the day I feel that nothing matters as much as success. You can be nicest and the humblest person on earth but if you are failure, no one will be with you. Same holds true vice versa. No, I don't think that I am the nicest or the sweetest person but then I am a genuine and a honest person. It is all about having self pride. I don't need to have a Mercedes to feel good; I can be standing at a bus stand but still hold my high head.

On Rajkumar Hirani being an example of someone who is nice, humble, genuine, honest, and successful and still being loved by all
Well, Raju never hosted any TV shows. He never made fun of industry people for years. The day he does, we will see (laughs).

4492 thumbnail

god so up himself changes according to himself now the critics dun matter to him when his own films are under scrutiny first he use to make fun of soo many films!

4492 thumbnail
sajid's work never speaks for itself! they are soo many peeps who didn't like this movie!