Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

brahmabul thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by: ssk13809

I wasn't talking about the video link, I was talking about the comments made by Rahul about the interview.

I think you are getting confused between if he took breaths between or not. He might've said he took breaths between. But as for singing it non-stop in 1 section, the video showed if he could do that or not.

Don't know which interview he is talking about.

Shankar ji sang it live in around 2 mins and originally it was recorded in around 3 mins. He sang it at a much faster rate because this song can no way be sung live at the same rate as the original without taking noticeable breaths in between.
I am not doubting the technique he used. Yes he may have used it. But my point is that ORIGINALLY he did not record the song in one single go. And I suppose we are here to judge the performance and not the live singing. Edited by brahmabul - 14 years ago
ssk13809 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: brahmabul

Don't know which interview he is talking about.

Shankar ji sang it live in around 2 mins and originally it was recorded in around 3 mins. He sang it at a much faster rate because this song can no way be sung live at the same rate as the original without taking noticeable breaths in between.
I am not doubting the technique he used. Yes he may have used it. But my point is that ORIGINALLY he did not record the song in one single go. And I suppose we are here to judge the performance and not the live singing.

Read Post above

It shouldn't matter how the recording was done. Because just like every other performance, it doesn't matter how the recording is done as long as we know the singer can sing like that live in go. Which Shankar can do and that's been proven. 

And I'm still pretty sure he did do it a single go.

Edited by ssk13809 - 14 years ago
brahmabul thumbnail

Also, it shouldn't matter how the recording was done. What should matter is if he can actually sing like the recording was done or not.

And that he proved already in that YouTube link.

Because a lot of songs we listen, and judge, might have been done in 2 halves or 3 parts, etc. But we don't judge that. We just judge the overall singing as if it was done live and how would we grade it.
Then there is a question of if the singer could have possibly sung that way in live, and the YouTube performance of him singing like that in live already proves that he can.

So in all, there is no need to judge if it was in 1 shot, 2 shots, 1 breath, 2 breaths, because we haven't done that with any other performance.

So this is really like any other performance, like all other performances, it could be done live nearly as well, and like all other performances, it could have pauses.

So judge it as it sounds.

And it's truly legendary!

Ok yaar. Lets end it here. Aapne 10 de diye hain to koi baat nahin. I got pissed off a bit seeing the first post "And for this, the song selector wanted me to let the audience know that he did indeed sing the whole thing at once!"
Which is not true according to me.
brahmabul thumbnail

Originally posted by: redapple1

I think brahmabul and ssk need a coffee break. Free coffee is supplied by SAM in the
Spoiler-Result Episode-Final 2 thread. Enjoy!

Thanks for the offer but I don't drink coffee. 😛
ssk13809 thumbnail

Originally posted by: brahmabul

Ok yaar. Lets end it here. Aapne 10 de diye hain to koi baat nahin. I got pissed off a bit seeing the first post "And for this, the song selector wanted me to let the audience know that he did indeed sing the whole thing at once!"
Which is not true according to me.

But I'm just not getting why should a double standard of "did he sing it 1 go" be used here? We don't use that with the other singers. It would be legit to bring up that "double standard" if he could only sing like that in the recording and not live, but he CAN sing like that in live.

So why the double standard? What is the difference between this performances and all others? Many others could also have more than one go, and those many others also can be performed nearly as well live.

xobile thumbnail
What an amazing song. It is like a looong taan in keherva taal, with a tihaai at the end. It is indeed a feat to take such staples of our Indian classical music and present them  in a modern, disco way!

Special mention to Javed Akhtar saab for writing beautiful lyrics whilst staying so tightly bound to the meter. Superb!

TRIVIA: This song marks the start of the famed Farhan Akhtar-Shankar Mahadevan collaboration, because Farhan directed the music video. Since then, Farhan has had Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy compose for films directed and co-produced by him. Farhan even supported Shankar in the MkMM semifinal Shreya v Shankar match!

The singing is very impressive. Unfortunately, I've upped my strictness level for this round. Now the performances have to be perfect in every single way to get 10/10 from me. Shankarji has utilised one of the most impressive Hindustani vocal techniques (the taan) to great effect in this song. But impressive does not always touch the heart and soul...

I would have given this 10/10 in the first round, hands down. But now the competition has gone to another level. I can't honestly say that the song moved me much. That is not to say that there was a vacuum of emotion - indeed, my favourite part of the song was the latter, sadder portion, which was beautifully expressed and composed. If there was more of that, there would have been more chance of me giving the singing 10/10.

So, my score is 9/10 which translates to 11/10 on a less strict scale!

For Uditji, I'll play 'Jaane Kyun' from Dil Chahta Hai as a homage to the collaboration between Javed Akhtar and S-E-L. Enjoy this breezy song by the king of melody!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk44jjOjX3s[/YOUTUBE]

Narayan Narayan! 
brahmabul thumbnail

But I'm just not getting why should a double standard of "did he sing it 1 go" be used here? We don't use that with the other singers. It would be legit to bring up that "double standard" if he could only sing like that in the recording and not live, but he CAN sing like that in live.

So why the double standard? What is the difference between this performances and all others? Many others could also have more than one go, and those many others also can be performed nearly as well live.

Ok man. You have a point that he used circular breathing. But I don't think all the other audience thinks like that. They think that he did sing it one single go as is evident from risingabove's first post. Anyways thanks for telling me about the circular breathing thing. I didn't know that. 😊
ssk13809 thumbnail
[quote=xobile]
The singing is very impressive. Unfortunately, I've upped my strictness level for this round. Now the performances have to be perfect in every single way to get 10/10 from me[/quote]

No other singer I can think of can sing this song like Shankar has from the start of Indian music to present.

If you don't receive a 10, following a statement like that above, then what do you have to do to receive a 10?

Edited by ssk13809 - 14 years ago
xobile thumbnail
As for this whole debate on how many breaths he took - he was breathing throughout but he hid it well by breathing in the right places!

Even then, a singer's voice cannot stretch to more than two minutes. Brahmabul is right that the song was sung in parts. BUT that doesn't take away from the greatness of the singing.

Here's a video link:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g-X4M54uqk[/YOUTUBE]

brahmabul thumbnail
xobile bhai...you can take away from where I just left...
he he he...