Bollywood calling for Lekha Washington !

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 14 years ago

Bollywood calling for Lekha

TARUNYA SURESH , TNN 20 October 2009, 12:00am IST

She is no stranger to the arc lights. 

Lekha Washington can be remembered as the bubbly, effervescent VJ who made speaking Tamil with an English accent quite a trend. A little known fact is that she is an accomplished filmmaker and has also dabbled with sculpting. After a successful stint on TV, a few gigs as an anchor for various cricket shows, Lekha shifted focus to the big screen and proved her mettle with Jayam Kondaan, opposite Vinay Rai. 

Now, the part Maharashtrian, part Burmese and part Italian actress is giving Bollywood a shot, with Peter Gaya Kaam Se, opposite Rajeev Khandelwal. Talking about how she bagged the role, the doe-eyed Lekha says, "Well, I basically shifted bag and baggage to Mumbai and decided to camp there for a bit, till someone decided to give me work! Then I went to audition for Peter... and bagged the role. No sugar daddies, no godfathers, nothing!" The film, she says, was more of a holiday than anything else. "Since the script is based in Goa, Rajeev and I rode all over the place and explored Goa like never before. I would call the film a romantic thriller; if there is a genre like that in the first place." 

Lekha has been quite a darling of the rumour mills of late. First, it was her appearance with Allu Arjun at the Filmfare awards and then, gossip girls worked overtime insisting that she was having a scene with co-star Rajeev. 

Rib her about these rumours and she is quick to refute them. "Why can't people just believe that I'm single? Rajeev and I are more competitive than anything else. We constantly try to outdo each other. In fact, he had some sort of a guy's camp going on the sets with cinematographer Alphonse Roy. I was the only girl on the sets and became one of their buddies by the end of shooting. Rajeev is very happy with his girlfriend. Leave him be." ðŸ˜†

Okay, point noted. But what about Allu Arjun, with whom she is sharing screen space in Krish's Vedam? "Allu and I are good friends. But so is Manoj, my other co-star. I'm glad that I'm working with the best of the Telugu film industry so early. If you are referring to the Filmfare awards incident where Allu and I were sitting together, then let me clarify that for you. Our director wanted the entire cast to sit together at the awards and it so happened that Allu and I were seated next to each other. What's the big deal?" 

The petite actress has her kitty full and has just recently appeared in an ad on Singapore. 
Talking about that project she says, "It was so much fun doing reverse bungee jumping, shopping till the wee hours of the morning, going for their music and dance festival and partying like there was no tomorrow! I went with my best friend and we were pampered silly. It was good fun." 
So, what does the future look like for Ms Washington? With a gleam of excitement in her voice, she says, "I have Rakkozhi with Jai lined up. We will start shooting in December and I'm damn kicked about the project. Jai is a very talented actor and I'm sure the film will be great fun. As far as everything else goes, well, whatever will be, will be." 

@ Credited to - Sun_423 for posting the article in Rajeev Khandelwal Fanclub !!
Edited by togepe30 - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sonam_s thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
She is really popular in the south. Beautiful, she is.