Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Oh Wow, that is a lot of information!

But I remember in Jai Maa Durga, wasn't it Tarakasur that got a Boon from Mahadev and then thought wisely and said to be only killed by Shiv's son, at this time Shiv was mourning over Sati and nobody thought he would remarry, but he did and he had Kartikey for the reason to kill Tarakasur?

These stories with Kartikey are really confusing, if only there was one story on how he was born......
sattvik thumbnail
I had a lot of trouble understanding some of the talks in today's episode and would appreciate it if I could get some help with that.

Also I appreciated the long post Vibhishna, I hadn't heard of any of that before either.... I'm quite lost on my Hindu mythology now, it feels all knotted up in my head, I think I watch to many mythos shows.... 😕
Edited by sattvik - 14 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
There is a book by name Skanda Purana written by Kacheappa (I think that's the author - will check up and let you know - how it was written is an interesting story - I'll post it some time later if anyone is interested in knowing it. I follow this book and the stories I have posted are mostly from this book and the other versions of it I have read.

Tarakasur was Surapadma's younger brother (some say he was older but I tend to believe he was younger). He died before Surapadma was killed. Tarakasur ruled over the Krauncha Hill and it fell for Lord Skanda's spear/javelin. Krauncha Hill was positioned in shuch a way that it hid the entire island of Veeramahendrapuri, Surapadma's kingdom. Even to see the city, one has to cross or destroy the Krauncha Hill. Hence, Lord Skanda had to destroy it before he could move forward.

I think both Tarakasur and Surapadma had obtained boons from Lord Shiva as a result of their penances.

It was Lord Skanda who destroyed Surapadma, his brothers - Tarakasur, Singamuhasur (or Simhamuhasur) and Surapadma's son Baanugopa. I think the island of Veeramahendrapuri was destroyed in the war or Lord Skanda told Varuna to destroy the city after the war.

I haven't watched today's episode yet. I'll post my views after watching it.

Edited by Vibhishna - 14 years ago
desichica thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanx Satvik and Vibhs for the info u guys provided me!!!! ANd yes it does help...Vibhs...i didnt get to finish all of ur info u provided so wonderfully...but i promise to read it as soon as i have a day off of work that is not so long and tiring!!!!

And for the record guys, i have never heard of Okha either....when i went to India  3 years back....some1 from my mom's village told me this....and it was quite an interesting story too..it made sense...but i really dont remember it...and i've been trying to google it without any result!!!

But i'll ask around to find out who might know of the story and i promise to post the minute i get to find out!!!!
akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
This is what Mahabharat says about Kartikeya. Sage Vaishampayan said this story to king Janmejaya.

The effulgence (seed) of Lord Shiv fell into fire. It was so powerful that even Agni god could not burn it. Instead, Agni god got great energy and splendour due to that. But he was not able to bear that seed of mighty energy. Commanded by Lord Brahma, Agni put the seed into Ganga. Ganga was also unable to hold it. She cast it Himalaya, which was on the bank of Ganga. 
Thus a child was born on Himalaya. The entire mountain looked beautiful because of the splendour of the child. The six Krittikas saw that child of great splendour. All the six Krittikas cried aloud, saying, "This child is mine, this child is mine!" The child assumed six mouths so that all the six Kritikkas could become his mother. Since Krittikas became his mother, the child came to be called by the name of Kartikeya. Gandharvas and apsaras sand and danced in praise of Kartikeya. Brihaspati (the guru of gods) came and performed the usual rites of the child. 
Kartikya was growing up, being taken care of by his six mothers. One day, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiv, Ganga, Parvati, Shiv-gans and gods came to him. Each one of Lord Shiv, Parvati, Ganga Agni thought, "The child will first come to me."
In order to fulfill the expectations of all four, Kartikeya assumed four forms. These four forms were called as Skanda, Shakh, Vishakh, Sakha, and Naigameya. Skanda went to Shiv, Shakh to Agni, Vishakh to Parvati and Naigameya to Ganga. 
Lord Brahma announced that Skanda would be the senapati of the gods. The gods took him to a spot at the bank of river Sarasvati. Himavat gave him a seat adorned with costly gems. The gods brought all kinds of auspicious articles. Then Brihaspati performed the rituals to make him the senapati of gods. The celestials gave thousands of heroic companions to Skanda, who assisted him in the battle against asuras.

Agni gave Kartikeya a dart, Indra gave him a banner (for his chariot), Vishnu gave him a garland, which enhances the might of the wearer. Garuda gave him a peacock. Parvati gave him beautiful clothes. Ganga gave him divine water-pot and Brihaspati gave him a sacred stick. Varun gave him a snake of great energy and might. Lord Brahma gave him a black deer-skin. He also gave him the boon of victory.

The gods proceeded for battle against demons. There was fierece fight. Skanda's dart was such that when he threw it, then millions of darts were produced from it. Sometimes Skanda fought in one form and sometimes he assumed many forms in the battle. He killed many mighty demons, including Tarakasur.

akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Some of you have asked about the mention of Paratpar in the serial.
In Brahm-Vaivart puran Lord Krishna is called as Supreme and His abode is Golok-dham. He is paratpar and lord Ganesh is Krishna's ansh.

sattvik thumbnail
Wow I have never heard of that akhl.... Thanks for mentioning it all, but I thought that Murugan, Skanda, Kartikey were all the same names for the same God, like Ganesh, Ganapati, Vinayak etc are for Ganesh...

I guess Ganesh would be Krishna's ansh if you look at it from Krishna's view, like most Purans say the world was made by that God in the Puran, e.g. Shiv Puran would say it was Shiv, Vishnu Puran would say it was Vishnu etc.... Thats my take on it.
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Akhl - its nice to have you among us 😊

Thanks for the information - I never knew all this was mentioned in the Mahabharat. The only mention of Skanda I read in the Mahabharat was that Amba who was reborn as Sikandi worshiped (by penances and austerities) Lord Skanda and when he appeared asked to be changed into a man in one of the versions of Mahabharat.

And I have never heard of all the Gods presenting something to Lord Skanda for the fight against the demons.

As far as I have read from the Skanda Purana, it was Devi Parvati who gave Skanda his spear/javelin (which was a form of her own Shakthi). Lord Shiva gave him the 9 warriors and an army of his own Shivganas.

In the final moments of the battle against Lord Skanda, Surapadma fled the field and transformed into a tree in a lonely place. Lord Skanda split the tree into two with his weapon and transformed one part of it into a peacock and the other into a cock which again transformed into a banner or flag bearing the image of the bird.

sattvik thumbnail
Wow, get to know something new everyday, Ganesh Leela shows us stories that we have never heard of before and our friendly members share their knowledge.

Thank you very much guys, really appreciated 👏 😃
_rajnish_ thumbnail
wow so nice to see akhl and vibhisana here. nice discussion everyone. thanks satvik for opening this thred. now i am going to learn more and more from all of you😛