A.R. Rahman honoured with Doctorate in Britain

PCRocks thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Two Oscars, and the world has started to see in A.R. Rahman what folks in India saw more than a decade ago. And now, the Middlesx University in Hendon, London, has conferred ARR with an honorary doctorate. The Vice Chancellor of the University, Professor Michael Driscoll presented the honorary doctorate to Rahman. But that was not all. It is said that a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between Rahman's KM Music Conservatory in Chennai and the University, which focuses on educational collaboration between India and the UK. This MoU also provides an opportunity for Rahman to explore the possibility of blending Asian and Western styles of music.

"It is an enormous honour to belong to this great seat of learning. My journey as a musician started at age nine and I see music as a way to connect to spirituality and embrace it. Music touches people and breaks down barriers, creating harmony in troubled times.This has always been my philosophy," Rahman said while receiving the honour.