Marrying Sister-in-law or Brother-in-law

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
What's your opinion on marrying one's sister-in-law or brother-in-law?

This concept is very common in movies/shows. There are endless shows that have the storyline based on the death of a husband or a wife and then the person getting married to her (his) brother-in-law (sister-in-law).

It's very confusing because then some other movies/shows give an entirely different meaning to this relationship. Some say sisters-in-law are like your mother/sisters and brother-in-law very much like your brother.

If you take the English word into account then the word itself does give very strong reason against it. They are your brother and sister! Granted, in-laws but they're nevertheless brother and sister.

But the Hindi/Urdu words "Bhabhi" and "Devar" don't quite have that connotation. So what's your take on this? Do you think it's ok to marry your brother,sister-in-law? If yes, then why? And if not, then why not?

-Mahi

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dream thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Yea it is a very commom thing that tv shows & film shows..even a very popular serial Kumkum was totally based on this.On the other hand another shw Kahani ghar ghar ki showed us how sweet & lovable relation is there between bhabhi n devar that was parvati n kamal..just like mother-son & best frnds!..However i like the second one i mean it is not right to me to marry devar as being husban's brother they r like own brothers & it's not right according to me.
Nice topic Mahi!:-)
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I personally feel that people should not marry their Bhabhi or Devar, because a sister-in-law is like one's mother/sister and a brother-in-law is like one's father/brother. It doesn't feel right to me, but of course, I don't criticize those who feel different.😳
Ali thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Sister in law is saali and brother in law is saala
Saali is Adhi ghar waali but saala is never adha ghar wala 🀣

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I think everybody not do like that.....its depend on situation....
like--cos of kids some people think its more better marry sis n law or bro n law ,they think its good for kids / some people think about Property and Sometime presure from elders force to do these things etc etc etc
there is one joke...
Hud: What u do after my death?
wife: I stay with my Sister....
Wife: What u do after my death?
Hus: I too do the Same!!
dream thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

^how mean!🀣

That is true family members prefer that because of kids..from that view it is ok but still it's weird esp bhabhi i mean big bro's wife n devar?...it's really weird!..saali is still ok but bhabhi is a bit weird to me.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: dream

^how mean!🀣--just for laugh onlyπŸ˜ƒEasy to make a cry bt its very difficult to make a smile...πŸ˜‰bt aap ki smile,,,,, its too much πŸ˜†πŸ˜›πŸ˜‰

That is true family members prefer that because of kids..from that view it is ok but still it's weird esp bhabhi i mean big bro's wife n devar?...it's really weird!..saali is still ok but bhabhi is a bit weird to me.

Aree dream bhabhii stop dreaming.πŸ˜†.......!!
Actuly after hus/wife death...sudenly second marriage!!! its difficult for a real loving person...but now a days with in one week pepople start dating...
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
First off, friends, the intent of this thread was to share your opinions. We don't want to bash people who believe it's ok or who've done that. It really does depend on the situations and people's beliefs. We don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Personally for me, there's no difference between bhabhi/davar or saala/saali. It's just the same relationship for me. For me, my bhabhi would be like my sister and devar like my brother. My jija ji would be like my brother... I can't imagine any other relationship with him. I guess it's just my strong belief and some people don't see it that way.

Ali - I don't think saali is adhi ghar wali. That's actually a very bad saying that's used every now and then. In fact, it seems more like the guy is keeping an eye on his saali... that's really disgusting.

Vinu - Yeah, I agree, if you were truly in love then you wouldn't think of marrying forever or for at least a long time but these days people just marry within a month or so. Very sad.

-Mahi
fammma thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Great topic Mahi
I personally believe that marrying ur sis/bro in law is a no for me, unless there are extreme circumstances and justifiable reasons etc like there being kids involved etc...
But after the death of ur husband for example, since u loved him so much i dont think it would really be possible to move on as such...how can u love someone after that?? I dont think you could give unconditional love again,,,,that would be haaarrddd but not impossible i suppose
As for marrying the bro in law, jijaji, i dont agree with it, coz u will always be thinking of ur sis (who u obviously loved to bits and miss too) and every moment spent with ur jijaji. would be torterous in the sense..
Also, same for the devar/jeth bcz it will just remind you of your husband, coz obviously they will have similar traits...so it would be just as hard...
Perhaps it would be better off marrying someone completely different
This is just my personal opinion...no offence to anyone....
And i would hate it if my jijaji thought of me as his aadhi gharwali...i would just want him 2 love my sis 1 and a half times instead!!!
Yazzi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I don't see Anything Wrong in that, and I Respect the people who have got Married to their Bhabies/jeeja ji's

But I personally take my Jeeja ji as a Brother ... infact i actually call him Baiyya and Not Jeeju, We Actually Argue Like Siblings Aswell Lolz .. and That's why i can't think of any other Relationship with him , and i think it should be the same with Bhabies, one Takes Bhabies like their Sisters or Even Mothers ...

But Yeah i see what one must think when getting a Bhabie and Devar Married and Jeeja and Saali married ...

The Most common reason is Kids ..

People believe that if a Bhabie marries Devar, the Devar will be able to give that Love to the Child which a Father will give unlike some outsider .. Same is the Case with Saali/Jeeja ..