Farida Jalal's back on TV - Article

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 15 years ago
Farida Jalal's back on TV

After playing a comic naani in Shararat (Star Plus), Farida Jalal is back to the small screen with a very challenging and different role. She is seen playing 'Badi Jiji sa' in Balika Vadhu (Colors). The delighted badi jiji sa spoke to us about her comeback.

"I am playing Kalyani's elder sister. She stays in a city and so her thinking is very different from that of Kalyani. She is practical about things and will try to pass on some advice to her sister. She has come to bring in relief and happiness to the tense environment. Kalyani will also listen to her because she is elder to her, she will bring a change in her frigidness too," reveals Farida.
Excited about her comeback, she tells us, "Balika is a very good show, it gives its viewers a social message and there are many other plus points too. There was no reason to say no to this offer. I've comeback for a positive cause and my character is very strong. Most importantly, they have signed me for a cameo. It is a very challenging comeback for me and I hope viewers love it."

It has been a while now since the veteran actress started shooting. She tells us about her experience, saying, "I will bring about changes in Sughna's life. I will ease her life to an extent. I've shot for many sequences with her."

Even before she started shooting, the Farida followed the show regularly. She says, "One good thing about Balika Vadhu is that there are many repeats in a day. Even if you miss the evening telecast, you can catch up with it other time. I used to follow it quite regularly."

She has already worked with Surekha Sikri earlier and she is very happy to work with her again. She says, "We played sisters only in Shyam Benegal's Mummo in 1974. I admire her as an actress and respect her personally too. She's a great lady and it's really nice to work together after so many years."

Talking about the similarity between herself and her character, she says, "Yes, I am very much like my character in real life too. I too take a stand against anything I don't agree with."

On her role not being a full-fledged one, the actress says, "I know that physically, it's not possible for me to do a daily at this age. This role will only be for about two months and this is the reason I took up the offer. At this age, this much hard work is not possible! If the responses are good and I am asked by the channel to continue, then I might agree. The character is very exciting."

Farida Jalal entered the show on Thursday. Balika Vadhu airs from Monday to Thursday at 8pm on Colors.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/March/News_20090331_149

• Vandana Shukla/ Hill Road Media
  • Tuesday, March 31, 2009

• Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~Simz~ thumbnail
    Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
    Posted: 15 years ago
    farida jalal enters balika vadhu
    Sunday, 29 March 2009 00:00
    balikavadhu_02.JPG hspace5

we have seen her spreading magic and bewitch the television audiences with magic wands and spells. the bollywood superstars such as shah rukh khan, salman khan, rani mukherjee and priety zinta's favourite mother in cinema, farida jalal made a dramatic entry as "badi jiji sa" on "balika vadhu" on friday, march 27, 2009 only on colors."

"badi jiji sa" for some and "badi masi" for others, she is the elder sister of kalyani dadi. though she is older to kalyani by two years, her mannerisms and appearance embody a non-judgmental attitude.

while kalyani has lived all her life in the village post her marriage and societal truss have ensured her steadfast adherence to rituals and tradition. jiji sa, on the other hand, who is the epitome of grace and tradition, is somewhat liberal. while she still holds the tradition closely, she has unleashed the inhumane part of rituals and dogmatic beliefs. she strongly believes that every human being should strive to make others happy, along with fulfilling all their duties and responsibility to the best of their abilities.

jiji sa's entry into kalyani's household spreads cheerfulness into the entire household and illustrates another dimension of kalyani – that of a younger sister. together, the two sisters not only relive their childhood like little girls but at times jiji would reprimand kalyani for her compelling nature.

jiji sa brings about much needed change into the family, with her benevolent yet radical authority, especially the restrictions that are imposed on sugna on being a widow. also, she gently endorses the dignified rebellion of gehna.

says an excited farida jalal, "i am extremely delighted to be a part of balika vadhu and portray the role of 'badi jiji sa'. i am returning to television after a long hiatus and this role offers me the perfect platform for my comeback. the role of 'badi jiji sa' is a complete new experience for me as it is quite different from all the roles i have enacted till date. the role is challenging and instrumental to the storyline.  i looking forward to a great experience and hope the viewers too would like my new avatar as 'badi jiji sa' in balika vadhu."

tune into "balika vadhu", monday to friday at 08 : 00 pm and catch farida jalal aka "badi jiji sa" detest the inhumane part of rituals and dogmatic beliefs only on colors.