Billu is no threat to me Kay Kay Menon

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Billu is no threat to me: Kay Kay Menon

Most of his recent films, Drona, Sirf, Shaurya, Via Darjeeling and Maan Gaye Mughal-E-Azam, may have bombed at the box office but Kay Kay Menon will not be losing out on future projects because of them. This is because his superb performance in Mumbai Meri Jaan has revoked his flops and the brilliant actor is still very much a force to reckon with.

His latest film, titled Stoneman, is based on the 1983 serial murders that took place in Mumbai. The murderer, who killed his victims by throwing stones at them, was never caught. Menon says, "I am playing the role of a suspended cop. Though it is based on a real life incident you can call it fiction. That is because my character is not based on a real person. Only the Stoneman was inspired by a murderer. The other characters are fictional but in order to make a movie we needed auxiliary characters. Even so, it's a good film and something hatke."

What made you take up the role in Stoneman?
I loved the concept because it is based on real events which shook the whole of Mumbai in 1983. It is also a very challenging role. I love doing roles that I have not done earlier.

You've played plenty of intense parts. Do you feel that you are typecast as a serious actor?
I don't really know. All my characters are different. For each character you play, you have to develop specific emotions for his situation. I select my roles myself, I'm never forced to play a part. If a director thinks I am good with an intense role and I agree with him then I go for it.
Good looks and dance moves are not the only things that an actor should know. If that's it then he is a 'hero' not an actor. Naseeruddin Shah and Paresh Rawal are actors. I get many offers and I desperately want to do a comedy role but I'm not getting the right offer.

You acted in the comedy film Maan Gaye Mughal-E-Azam but that didn't work at the box office. Do you think people can't accept you as a comedian?
Maybe the film didn't work out because it was just not funny. I am waiting for the right script to arrive- a script that will make us all laugh. I don't want anything to do with bad scripts and improper dialogues.

With Billu Barber releasing on the same day, don't you think that it is the wrong time to release Stoneman?
I love both Shah Rukh and Irrfan Khan. Irrfan is one of the best actors in Bollywood. I don't think Billu Barber is a threat to our film. If people want to watch a movie they will watch it. Each film has a different audience.

After Stoneman Murders, Gulaal is set to release. What are your expectations from this film?
Gulaal is one of the most challenging films I have done. It's directed by Anurag Kashyap and is based on a very special issue. I think that people who know and understand cinema will love it. Because it is Anurag's film, there are many expectations. And not just this movie, I would say that I have expectations from all movies. That is because, in these times of recession, I hope to get some increment.

Link http://www.starboxoffice.com/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/February/News_20090210_68