Bala
Producer
KS Sreenivasan
Music
Ilayaraja
Cast
Aarya, Pooja, Rajendran

By Moviebuzz

Bala, the man who has revolutionized Tamil cinema with meaningful and realistic films like- Sethu, Nandha and Pithamagan, has made another masterpiece with his latest Naan Kadavul. The film touches your soul and makes you salute the brave director for making this authentic milestone classic. It is a technical splendor embellished with breathtaking visuals, brilliant music score by the maestro Ilayaraja and award winning performances by Arya, Pooja and the entire cast of real life beggars and Sadhus. The film definitely defies all conventions and demolishes all moulds, as the maverick director breaks traditional formula attached to commercial cinema in Tamil. The way the film has been made and packaged is slick and it moves like an edge of the seat thriller and is racy and to the point at 2 hours and 15 minutes. The film opens with a father in search of his son who he had abandoned 15 years back in Kasi, as per the advice of all astrologers, who predicted that "he was a bad omen". Now the father in remorse finds his son who has become an Aghori ascetic sanyasi Rudran (Arya) with no human emotions but has the strength of 1000 elephants and has some sort of divine power and calls himself 'Bhagavan' and always mutters- Bham, Bham Mahadev. The father brings back his son to his native village Malaikovil, in south Tamilnadu, famous for its hill temples. A bald tough guy called Muthalali (Rajendran) runs a profitable beggar mafia business using physically disabled young, old and children to get sympathy from the pilgrims who visit the temple.   Muthalali's assistant is Murugan a man whose conscience torments him at the same time is constantly living in fear of his boss who is ruthless and has no human feelings. One day Murugan kidnaps a blind beggar and a singer Hamsavalli (Pooja) and forces her to be a part of the gang. Enter Nair a slimy and dirty guy who controls organized begging in Kerala, and enters into a deal with Muthalali, arranged by a cop, to buy some of these Urupadi's (pieces) and take them to Sabarimala, Malayatoor and other places in Kerala for begging! The story takes a turn as the downtrodden people's prayers are heard and Rudran turns out to be their savior, leading to a stunning climax and the film ends with a positive message. Bala once again asserts that traditional human values will always triumph over evil. The USP of the film is its perfect casting. The unkempt long hair, the red loony eyes, the ash-smeared face, the tongue snaking out of his lips, and that sloshy voice, Arya pumps life and blood and gets under the skin of Rudran, making his animal like character so convincing. He has delivered a performance that is hard to forget even days after you've watched the film. Pooja as the blind singer is luminous and her outstanding performance will be talked about, as the film belongs to her, especially the lead to the climax. The bunch of beggars handpicked by Bala are amazing whether it is eunuch or the midget boy, the guys who come as Murugan and Rajendran as the villain are outstanding. The haunting music of Ilayaraja gives the feel the mood and camera work of Arthur Wilson is poetry on celluloid. Bala can ask Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire director) to take a walk. He has brilliantly portrayed the dark and disturbing side of the beggar mafia in places around devotional institutions in the country. It is stark realistic yet with large dosages of humour and leaves a lump in our throat. This is undoubtedly new radical Tamil cinema. The industry people may call it Paithiam to make a picture on Pichakaran's, but Bala has the guts to do it. On the down side, the scene where Arya's father recognizes his son among thousands of sadhus in Kasi is a little hard to believe. Most of premises like the one inside the train (Pitamagan) or the place that beggar's live (Sethu) looks familiar. If Subramaniapuram was level 2 in Kollywood cinema, Naan Kadavul is level 3, it is our journey to international cinema. Bala has made it hard hitting, raw and riveting, qualities that is lapped up by worldwide connoisseurs of good cinema. To be honest, the director has shown the dark underbelly of our less privileged citizens who are living like bonded slave laborers controlled by organized crime syndicates. The climax chase of Arya and villain is one of the most fantastic scenes you've seen in films for a long, long time. It's a much darker film than the director's previous works. After the film, the entire audiences stood up and gave a stand ovation, something that has not happened in recent times. Watch Naan Kadavul it because it's one of those films that won't easily gets out of your head long after the film is over.

Verdict: Outstanding

Well sify have given good review...but we really dont know until one of the Ifians watch itπŸ˜‰ Anyway good or bad..i have decided to watch itπŸ˜›

Edited by meli - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sankadevi30 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
thanks melz for posting ther review here

me too waiting for IFians review
Thanyakalai thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hey meli thanks for the review, tomm i'm going for the movie i'll post my review after watching it
netra_rama thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Woh kalai .. normally naan taan first aa parthe review podhuven .. ippo nengal yennake pottiyaga vandhutengal pola πŸ˜›πŸ˜³ Just kidding maa ... have fun at the movie and do post ur reviews paar ...
😭😭 will be busy with thaipusam till monday .. so no chances of watching this weekend πŸ˜•

But you have fun dear πŸ˜‰ Thanks daa pineapple for the review .. πŸ˜ƒ
smlaksh thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanks mels ... I'm going to watch it tonight ... Will come back with my comments ...
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
thanks for the review daa melz kutty.......

Kalai and Laksh πŸ˜›.....can't wait to read your updates........ like meli, i too will be watching this movie along with my family when it is out in DVD form........
smlaksh thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Naan Kadavul Review

First of all , i would like to appreciate Bala for choosing a concept which has never been dealt with so far , πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘  ... Also for the perfect selection of persons for his characters .. If bala gives life for the story , Arya , pooja , Murugan , Thandavan , Nair , One more guy who wants to marry pooja , gives life for their characters ... No wonder that Ilaiyaraja has created magic in this movie too .. Esp. Re-recording ... This movie is definitely a mile stone in Tamil cinema ...

No commercial aspects & no punch dialogues .. But if u like bala's movies , pls do watch ... I can say even it's different from other bala's movies ..

As the story is very clearly stated in meli's review , i'm skipping that part πŸ˜› ...

Arya has given a real good performance , but i have feeling that either Vikram / Surya would have done more justice to the role ... As his name rudhran , he is an fiery person .. But i didn't see the fire in his eyes πŸ˜† ... This is what i felt missing in aarya .. Other wise he is too good in the movie & that's only my opinion ...

Pooja , OMG , i never thought this girl could give such an excellent performance ... Summa , aarya vai thooki saptuttaa .. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘  Wonderful acting .... The first 10 seconds i saw her she looked as pooja for me , but after that i just forgot her name , now i still remember her as " Hamsavalli , bling beggar girl " .... I'm sure she will be haunting me for couple more days πŸ˜†  ... I wanted to watch this movie for Bala & Aarya .. But when i came out of theatre , only this girl was in my mind ... Hats off Pooja .... She deserves the best award for her superb performance in this movie ...

Villain is a new face , but he too has given his best ..

I think the movie is released with the re shooted climax .... It wasn't that bad ... The dialogue pooja delivers before her death & the way she looks that time ,  really a good one .. I liked it ...

If u want to know the climax pls high light below lines from start to end and read ..

Start ..

Same like pitha magan movie climax ... Remember how vikram kills that villain mahadevan .. He will see his uyir in thondai kuzhi & ...... ( pls fill in ) .. It was left to audience to assume things there , but in this movie , aarya's lip marks on pooja's neck will be shown ...

End ....

Aarya thinks himself as kabalika rudhran , means who give death for persons depending on their characters ... He is preached by his mentor that " Vaazha iyalaathavarkku / mudiyathavarkku nee tharum maranam oru varam " , " Vaazha thaguthi attravarkku nee tharum maranam thandanai " .... If he sees a person & if he is good , he blesses him to get moksham & no other jenmam ... If a person is bad at heart & the moment he sees him , he gives them death as punishment ... That's how he kills Nair & saves pooja ...

Pooja is very much tortured by thandavan / mothalali ( all beggars refer him as mothalali , his name is thandavan ) & she could not take it any more & seeks help from aarya to free her soul from this jenmaa & not to get any more jenmaa ... Aarya remembers his mentor's words & helps pooja to get freed from this world .. [ Ambi , u can bother your husband to take you for this movie πŸ˜† .... Def not cannibalistic climax πŸ˜‰ ... ] They'll show you something for less than five seconds that how he freed pooja's soul ....

Oonamuttravarkalaiyo , iyalbu nilaiyil ullavarkalai oonappaduththiyo pichai edukka vaipathu indiavil inrum nadakkum ondru ... Athai paathikkapattavarkal paarvaiyil kathai solliya bala-vai evvalavu paarattinaalum thagum πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ ...

A small drawback is aarya's dialogues are mostly in sanskrit/hindi .. There was no subtitles for that too .. He hardly spoke few lines in tamil ... I didn't understand the meaning of it πŸ˜† .. Gujju maami from kolangal has acted as aarya's mom ... She will meet aarya in a madam kind of place & she will call him home ... He will say a small poem to her in tamil & will ask her if she knows the meaning of that ( he said unakku puriyuthaadi .. 😲 , Amma va di solraan 😑 ) ... I didn't get the meaning of it ....

πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘πŸΌ , A different story , dealing with an social issue ... Worth Watching ....

Edited by smlaksh - 15 years ago
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Wow....thanks for the wonderful review da laksh kutty πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›. 

It sure does look like a good movie to watch.  Based on your review and the reviews out there, it seems like a movie with many realistic elements.  Kudos to Bala Sir and every one who worked hard for this movie....πŸ‘

Wow...Pooja.....πŸ˜† it seems as if she's still haunting you naa πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.....apo ennakum athey gathi thaan pola once i watch it...... but am glad the movie turned out good.  Was waiting for this film for the past 3 years...finally it is out. 

Can't wait to get a hand on a Dvd now.....
Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks a lot laksh hun for your wonderful update😳...I was badly waiting for our  Ifians to post their personal review....from ur review its sound like sify and IG was honest on their partπŸ˜ƒ

I just cant to wait for the DVD since I know they wont screen it here in Norway

So we can for sure hope Pooja wins the Filmfare or national award next yearπŸ‘πŸΌ

Thnaks hun for the climax..and i liked ur idea with highlighing itπŸ˜‰
sankadevi30 thumbnail
seems like a very gud movie

thanks laksh for posting ur review hereπŸ‘πŸ‘

gud idea of highlighting the climaxπŸ˜‰

but not definitely for ppl like me

i will skip it
Edited by nallu - 15 years ago