Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago

Chapter 6:

"I found it earlier this morning. That's why I dropped by the hospital to tell you. I'm certain that it's important," Jai explains as Bani picks up the slip of paper and examines it curiously for a moment. It seemed to be a business card that was ripped in half with the other piece missing. She reads the words written out loud as much as she can…

Bani: Jai W…. Singhania's & Pa…. 555-23…..

She glances up and meets Jai's blazing eyes that stare at her intensely with growing excitement.

Jai: Don't you see? It's my name! This is how we can find out who I am….

Bani: …. But Jai—it's half ripped and we don't know the rest of the information….

Jai: (pressing) But it's better than nothing, isn't it?! Bani, we can find out the other half of it—with what we have right now.

Bani: (meekly) What do you want me to do? I don't know how to retrieve the other information—this is impossible to work with….

She watches as the light in his eyes fade and suddenly bare a cold look in them. His jaw tightened as well as the rest of the features on his face that remained stiffly still.

Jai: (sarcastic) It's so nice to know that you're trying to help me, doc… Really, it is. I appreciate all that you're doing for me….

Bani: (stung by his tone) Jai, I—

Jai: Bani….. Don't you see? This has something to do with who I am…. I need to know who I am…. You have to do this…. for me. …. Please.

She stares into his captivating eye and shivers by the intensity in his look and slowly nods in agreement, knowing how much this means to him. Though the fact that they may perhaps have a link to Jai's identity was creating a whirlpool of strange emotions inside of her—excitement, anxiety, apprehension, and a certain level of sadness all at once. Ashamed of her earlier indifference to the news, she wears a sincere smile, masking her true emotions, and nods her head.

Bani: Of course Jai… I'll do whatever I can to help you.

Jai gazes at her for a quiet moment before shortly nodding as well.

Jai: Alright then…. (softly) Thank you….

Bani looks back down onto the card in her hand and scrutinizes it some more, wondering how she will be able to retrieve the remaining information.

Bani: Maybe the other half is somewhere in the apartment too? (suggests)

Jai shook his head in disagreement.

Jai: I've looked all over and wasn't able to find it… But perhaps it could be in any of the cupboards or drawers….

Immediately without any other exchange of words Bani went to search around through her belongings with Jai by her side. After nearly an hour she gives up and exasperatedly exclaims, "It's nowhere here…. What are we going to do?" Jai ponders deeply over this with a frown lingering on his face while Bani tiredly sits down onto her living room couch. He then turns to her and stands tall before her sitting position.

Jai: You are sure you have never heard of anything with Singhania's & P? … or even Jai W anywhere?

Bani: I'm sure… It doesn't ring a bell at least… W can stand for a lot of last names… and I've never heard of any Singhania's & P before….

Jai paces back and forth for some time before slumping down onto the couch as well, defeated. He lets out a tired sigh….

Jai: Just when I thought I was so close…. (miserably)

Bani finds herself wanting to comfort him and reaches out to place a subtle touch on his hand but remembers that it will come to no use as her fingers brush through him…. She timidly brings her hand back and fiddles with her fingers whereas Jai hasn't noticed a thing.

Bani: I'm sorry Jai…. I really wish that we could have—

Jai: (raising a hand to stop her, solemnly) Yeah… I know… Me too.

Bani hushes yet continues to stare at Jai, noting the disappointment worn on his face and comparing it to his earlier excitement.

Bani: I fail to understand you sometimes Jai…

Jai jerks out of his thoughts and turns to look at her….

Jai: How's that?

Bani: Well… I always looked at you as a pigheaded, egotistical male that I had the unfortunate luck to be stuck with…

Jai: (darkly)….. You really know how to make a man feel great about himself, doc….

Bani: (softly smiling, continuing) …. But now I'm also discovering another side of you….

He raises a brow and seems intrigued with what she has to say….

Jai: Are you now?

Bani: Yes…. You create this exterior to cover who you really are inside…. You may be bitter and sarcastic most of the time, but you can be a nice man when you want to be…. Also a man with feelings…. And I'm realizing that now…. How much you really want to find out about yourself…. And how it frustrates you that you can't remember anything about your life…. I never really cared to think about that before….

Bani keeps her eyes locked with Jai's steel ones and watches how they slowly soften…. Yet that moment is ruined when suddenly his eyes spark and he remarks….

Jai: What are you? Some kind of psychoanalysis person?

Bani agitatedly sighs and rolls her eyes from frustration with him.

Bani: (spits) I was only trying to help…. But forget it, you really are the pig that you come across as….

Jai: As much as that flatters me, this really isn't helping me at all. I have this chance of finding out who I am but don't even know the first thing to do about it…. (edgy tone, runs his fingers through his hair)

They brood in a tense silence for a minute or two when finally a thought registers in Bani's mind and she springs up from her laid back posture. Jai watches this with a level of surprise.

Jai: What's gotten into you?

Bani: I can't believe I didn't think of this before—I'm such an idiot! –We can look through the book!

Jai: (confused) What book?

However Bani doesn't reply to him as she hastily gets out from her seat and storms off in her intended destination. Jai's eyes follow after her as he rises from the couch as well….

Jai: (yells after her) Bani, what book?......

***********************************************************************************

She dumps the heavy book of yellow pages on the center table before him and ignores Jai's curious gaze as she opens it and hurriedly flips through the contents of the pages.

Bani: (explaining without looking up) We can try and find anything we can find that we think matches up with the information we have in the yellow pages—institution, people, phone numbers…. We really should have thought of this before….

Awed, Jai joins her by standing beside her and collaborates in the search. Bani thoroughly scans through the pages, running her finger along down the yellow sheets, and stops once she finds one prominent candidate…

Jai: Singhania's & Partners Law Firm…. 555-231-6783?….

Bani: What do you think?

Jai: (dryly) Well, it makes more sense than Singhania's & Pachi's Restaurant…

Bani: And it suits you! (adds) I mean, now that I look back on it, it can be possible that you are a lawyer! You have the status to be one, you're wearing a suit and tie, you know all this incredible amount of law—heck, the first time I met you all you ever talked about was putting charges on me—it must be true!

Bani watches Jai grow quiet and slip into a deep trance on hearing her suggestion. He softly repeats the name of the firm under his lips and glances up after doing so….

Jai: You know what…. It does sound familiar… Very familiar….

Bani: …. Well what do you want to do then?

Jai: Well what's there to think about? We'll go by the firm and—

Bani: find out what it has to do with you, yes, you're right…. (finishing for him, looking up) …. Shall we go now then?

A smile of relief spreads across his face as he replies, "I thought you'd never ask…"

*********************************************************************************

They hailed a cab, well, Bani hailed a cab, and gave the driver the torn page from the yellow book of the address of the firm. Bani looks to her side and observes Jai resting his elbow against the side door and quietly looking out of the window. She would have done anything to know what he was thinking just about now. They pass by the restaurant Bani previously had lunch at with Pushkar and a thought enters her mind…

Bani: Jai…

Jai: Hmmm…

Bani: What is it that you do during the day when I'm not around?

Jai: Why do you ask?

He questions after looking away from the window and turning his fixed gaze onto her. From the corner of her eye, Bani catches the driver curiously looking at the rear view mirror at her and giving her a strange look. She flushes a little from embarrassment and quickly pulls out of her cell phone only to press it against her ear—so it does not seem she is crazy talking to absolutely no one. Jai watches her do this and the corners of his mouth twitch into a smile.

Bani: Well… because earlier you said you were just walking around the city while I was on my date with Pushkar…. Is that what you really do? (hesitantly asking)

Jai: (gently chuckles) Did you honestly really think that I spend my whole time planning out plots in order to make your life miserable?

Blushing even further, Bani shakes her head in refusal—even though that was one original idea of hers.

Bani: (embarrassed) No, of course not….

Jai: (his laughter growing) Don't deny it… I can clearly tell that that was what you thought…. Sweetheart, I don't need time to make fun of you…. It just comes naturally… (grins)

Bani: (meekly, still flushed) Okay, alright… Well, if that isn't what you do… Then what is that you do really?

His laughter dies down and he suddenly appears serious. He stalls for a long moment before deciding to be honest and answer her….

Jai: I go around the city hoping that anything I see will jog my memory…. Unfortunately, I haven't had that luck so far…. A few things will seem to mean something to me, but I still can't remember no matter how hard I try to…. I decided to go out again today and see if maybe I'd recognize anything this time, but I didn't… and that's when I saw you and Pushkar….

Bani: Oh…. I had no idea….

Jai: Of course you didn't… I never told you…

Bani: And why didn't you? I would have gladly helped…. (slightly offended)

Jai: (raises a brow) Would you have really? –Seems to me all you ever care to think about is the hospital and your job… You don't have time to do anything else… You don't care to think about anything else…

Bani: That's not true…. (defensive)

Jai throws her a knowing look….

Jai: Bani Dixit, you know that is the truth…. Do not even bother denying it…. Tell me, when was the last time you have ever spent time with a friend?

Bani: (answers quickly) Sonali, just today this morning….

Jai: Bani, Sonali doesn't count…. People from work can't be included and you don't have any friends at the hospital…. I mean anyone else….

Bani opens her mouth to reply but stills as she finds herself speechless and unable to give him an answer…. When was the last time she ever spent time with a friend?

Bani: (stammers dumbly) …. I…. I don't remember…

Jai: Hm-hm… And your family? Other than your nephew's birthday party, when was the last time you actually took out time to spend with them?

Again Bani is speechless….

Jai: (continuing on) And when was the last time you went out anywhere—besides your lunch date today with Pushkar…

Bani gives him a pained expression, showing him that she doesn't have an answer to this as well….

Jai: And when was the last time you—

Bani: No, stop it already…. Alright, I'll stop denying it….. (ending sadly) I really am a social outcast….

Jai: (lightly smiles) There you go….

Bani: You think this is funny? (moping, demanding)

Jai: No… But it's good you've finally admitted this to yourself….

Bani: (depressed) That I have a boring, nonsocial, and meaningless life?

Jai: Boring—yes… Nonsocial—yes…. But meaningless—I wouldn't go to those extremes…. No one's life is meaningless…. But you can shape up your life again, you know…. Don't make your career your whole world… It'll only leave you with nothing….

Bani: But my career has been my dream since I can even remember—and I will finally get that promotion if I work harder… I'm so close to success….

Jai: Tell me Bani…. Is your job really more important than your life?

Bani is jolted by this as she continues to keep her eyes locked with his hard, steel ones. Stunned to the point of silence, Bani lowers her gaze and sinks into the depths of her own confusing thoughts… until she resurfaces on hearing Jai comment a minute later….

Jai: Don't you feel ridiculous?

He questions while gesturing to her cell gripped tightly into her hand. She realizes that she still has it against her ear and replies with a painstaking voice…

Bani: You have no idea….

His throaty laughter manages to bring a small smile onto her lips, but his words proceed to haunt her in the back of her mind….

***********************************************************************************

Bani: Here it is…

She announces after paying the cab driver and turning to look at the building with Jai by her side. They admire the architecture of the tall building for a pausing moment before Bani steps forward to proceed inside…. She turns back though on not seeing Jai next to her and locates him still rooted to his previous spot.

Bani: Jai, what's wrong? Aren't you going to come inside?

His stormy eyes remain firmly on the building as he slowly responds….

Jai: …. I've been here before…. I know I have….

Bani allows him one more moment to take in his surroundings before urging him to come along. She sweetly smiled in his direction.

Bani: Well then that's great…. Let's go inside and see if you can recognize anything else… (polite enthusiasm)

With his eyes still wandering around the area, Jai carelessly followed after her towards the building doors. Bani walks into the revolving door whereas Jai whisks through the glass and waits a couple of seconds for her to join him. His feet stand firmly onto the ground as his eyes land on the festivity before him—phones buzzing nonstop, employees working busily behind the front desk, others walking by in a frenzy, and people waiting impatiently in their chairs around and chatting noisily on their cell phones. He feels a swarm of belonging rise in him….. a sense of familiarity…. a tie to himself. He examines the main floor, soaking in the professional environment, before turning to look at Bani.

Bani: You alright?

She asks concernedly after witnessing the series of emotions flickering on his face. Jai silently nods in agreement, still relishing in the feel of the office, and wordlessly prods her to carry on. They approach the front desk and stand before a young woman who speaks to someone through her headset in a bored manner while furiously typing something onto her computer. Bani throws Jai a glance at this and mutely observes him eyeing the woman with a level of confusion—as if trying to depict her from somewhere.

"No, we do not handle cases like these….. Look kid, I don't care if your older brother tore off your favorite Barbie's head… We can't do anything about it. Go cry to your mother instead….How did you even get this number?..... Well don't call here no more," the receptionist finishes while cutting off the line. She looks over to Bani and smiles stiffly.

"Hi, please tell me you have an actual problem and not that you want to sue your brother for destroying your favorite toy," she welcomes her with a fake cheer. Bani returns the false smile.

Bani: No, I have a legit reason for coming. Um, I am looking for someone.

"Name," she abruptly asks. Bani turns to look at Jai who gestures to her purse. She remembers the card and fiddles through her bag to retrieve it.

Bani: A Mr. Jai…. This is his business card I believe….

Bani hands over the half torn card and watches as the receptionist takes it from her and throw back a look as well as give an exasperated sigh.

"What business do you have with him?" she scrutinizes her with an alarming tone. Bani feels herself become nervous as she hadn't prepared enough for this. She licks her dry lips.

Bani: I believe that is my matter and not your own… I only wish to see him.

The receptionist gives a snort while replying, "Don't we all…." Bani gives her a confused look at this.

Bani: What do you mean by that?

"You are either a very dumb lady or live under a rock," the woman replies, offending Bani and causing Jai's query to grow.

Bani: Excuse me?

"The man you are looking for…. Jai Walia? …. Yeah, has been inactive in our firm for a long time….."

Jai glances up on hearing this with a spark triggering in his eyes.

Bani: Jai Walia…

Bani again looks over to Jai only to find him lost in a deep trance. Could he possibly be this Jai Walia?

"Yeah, he's the guy you're looking for, isn't it?" the woman's voice interrupts into her reverie. Bani dumbly nods.

Bani: Well is he alright? …. When will he be coming back?

"Sorry, I can't give you any details. I can only tell you that he isn't here and there hasn't been any news of his return anytime soon."

Bani: But you don't understand—I really need to see him. (pressing for more details)

"Look, I know why you want to see him… and I don't blame you. The man is gifted with genius…. and the best in our firm…. You were probably thinking of having him work on a case…. But unfortunately he isn't here with us anymore. If you would like, I can recommend other lawyers to you who will be able to help."

Bani: Could you just please tell me what it is that had happened to him so I—

"Ma'am, did you not hear me before? I cannot disclose any details to you.

Jai: Bani….

Bani: But it is very important for me to know where he is… If you could only tell me that—I will then get out of your hair.

Jai: Bani….

"Lady, I'm saying once more that it is impossible for me to give you any details about Mr. Walia… Now please, I advise you to choose another lawyer instead."

Bani: (agitated) Why can't you give me any details? Why can't you tell me anything about where he is? I will not leave until you—

Jai: Bani! ….

Rattled, Bani turns to look at Jai and demands, "What?" Her earlier frustration with the receptionist's lack of help fades as she drowns into his bright eyes and sees a grin form on his lips that seems to be permanently etched onto there. Jai stuns Bani as he says in a gentle voice….

Jai: I remember….

*********************************************************************************

Agree, short part. But that is all I could manage to write. I've been pretty busy lately. I'll try to update soon as quickly as I can. Hopefully you all enjoyed it. I know it was a little dull compared to the other parts. Either way, please leave comments. 😊

Love,

Dil

MrsKhan-Sobti thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
wow!!dis is gr8!!
baniishelping jai to find abt himself...
n jai got hisyaad dash back!!
waiting for the nex part
do continue soon
mayurmaaneet thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
dil.. bus.. it ended b4 it even started.. lol.. wow.. sooo JW finally remmebers.. i wonder wat happened to him.. u better not extend the raaz anymore like ekta.. lol.. continue soooon yaaar.. btw great part..
btkr thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Jai is coming across as such a sweetheart....nice chem between the two...👏

jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
hey il
that was a gr88 part dear
loved it
so JB are on a spree to find out who jai is
and somehwta they have sucessfully found out his full name
plzzzzzzzzzzz cont soon
ria_h85 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
A very nice part Dil....You have set the pace just right....I was waiting for you to update and even if it was short I thoroughly enjoyed it dear! the next part would be great as I am expecting Bani to see the real Jai....thanks for the wonderful update!
kuttu thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hi
Loving the talk between the two strong minded people. Also the bickering about Bani's non exsistant socail life was funny to an extent to see how Jai vconvinces his point Spoken like a true lawyer.So now what as Jai has just remembered i guess who he is. Now do we get to know why only Bani can see Jai and no one else.
bye
abhilashasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
oh... they found his full name and they are in his office... interesting... will wait for the next part...
kamy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
that was a superb part dil. finally they are on to something about him. update soon and don't take too long yaar please.. suspense stories should never take too long to post you know 😉
love kamy
sweet_gurl61 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Great part. How could you end there? I'm so glad he remembers. Hope the secret is out in the next part. Please continue soon.