Posted: 15 years ago
dil
i loved their banter. this is going great.. continue soon yaar
love
kamy
ria_h85 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
can't tell how much I am enjoying this FF.....totally hilarious at times and sugary cute too....Even if I know the basic plot from the movie you keep me hooked with some fab dialogues and witty scenarios! Am in love with Jai here.....He is soo irritating yet admirable.....Waiting for Pushkar to pop in and see Jai getting jealous!

Great Work! dear....I know it takes time to write but would still have to say please continue soon and slightly increase your frequency of posting!

swathi thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
indiangoddess, am throughly enjoying this FF. the name drew me and then when I read the prologue I was kind of interested. I sat down to read all the chaps today at one go and just loved it. The way Jai refuses to believe that he is a spirit even though the truth is facing him and the way Bani is dealing with him was just hilarious. The final part where there is a slight emotional pull between the two was very well handled. am really looking forward to read this one.
Swathi
tam2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hi Dil ... oh Jai is the limit ... He's driving Bani nuts ... 😆 .... poor Doc .... I love the way Jai calls Bani Doc .... 😳 .... ow bani missed Jai while he was away ... that was very cute! 😳 ... looking forward to Bani's date with Pushkar .... wonder if Jai will ruin it 😆 .... do cont soon Jani! 😃 ...
ducky_euro thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
ahaha too funny! love jb
wonder how BP date will go, jai trying to spoil all and pushy thinking that bani has lost it in all those years
cont soon, hope asap
SA
RANJANA_RRJ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Ow that park scene. That was so touching. You did a great job with that part. 👏👏👏 Overall the part was very funny, hilarious actually. And Bani is a bit jealous. I think Jai is eventually going to ruin Banis date. I dont really trust him on that account. WIl be waiting for the next part! BYebye Ranjana
ragamthalam0 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
cute update pls cotinue soon, so wat abt jai ,, where is his body??
Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Don't really know what I wrote so please excuse any mistakes. Enjoy. 😊
Chapter 5:
"Oh my God, you actually came?!" Pia shrieks in surprise as she gathers Bani into a tight embrace. Pia withdraws herself and comments on how lovely Bani looks wearing a cute red party dress.

Pia: So you had no surgeries scheduled today, huh? (giving her a knowing look)

Bani: Nope, I took some hours off today… I told them what my sister planned to do with me if I didn't attend my nephew's birthday party. Fortunately my boss wants me alive so he let me go. (also giving her a look)

Pia: (sheepishly) I didn't really mean what I said in the message I left you Bani…. I was just a little stressed with planning for the party and I really wanted you here for it. So I guess I just took off all my frustration on you…

Bani: Which is why I'm here… To help I mean…. One woman can't possibly manage a whole party on her own… So, where's the birthday boy?

Rano arrived ten minutes after Bani and the three sisters, along with Aparajit, together set up for the party that would begin in an hour's time. There are going to be a lot of people as Pia has gone all out to celebrate her son's birthday. Along with inviting Veer's friends, family friends were coming as well.

Hearing the doorbell ring, Bani tends to it as everyone else is wrapped up in other things and sees the delivery man. She pays him and takes her nephew's specifically ordered birthday cake into her hands and heads straight into the kitchen. Just as she opens the refrigerator door to place it in, she screams in surprise as she sees Jai sitting within it. She places her hand over her fast beating heart and takes a few calming breathes before turning her attention back onto him.

Jai: (slowly grins) I knew you'd love my surprise…..

Bani carefully places the cake onto the kitchen island and turns back to face a much amused Jai. She points accusingly at him.

Bani: What are you doing here?! I thought I left you at the apartment!

Jai: You did sweetheart, but then I thought it was very rude of you not to ask me to come to your nephew's birthday party… Really Bani, where are your manners? (mockingly)

Bani: Like anyone can even see you!!! For some unfortunate reason only I can!—And don't call me sweetheart! (she snaps)

She turns her back on him and Jai takes this chance to come out from the spacious refrigerator. He stands tall beside her and watches her completely ignore him while placing the cake neatly into the fridge.

Jai: I'm still here you know? No amount of your praying or wishing is going to make me go away….

Bani gives him a pained look and sighs in tired defeat. She closes the door and meets his eyes.

Bani: Do you really have to remind me?

Despite himself, Jai can't help but grin a little by her words. Slowly he takes notice to her appearance and drinks it all in…. Bani watches his eyes wander down momentarily and blushes from his nerving gaze.

Bani: (innocently, demanding) What?

Jai: You look…..

He begins to say and Bani, strangely, finds herself anticipating for his next words… Beautiful ….gorgeous….completely amazing… Instead though, she hears….

Jai: decent….

Jai has to fight every being inside of him to not give into his bubbling laughter. The look on her face is absolutely priceless.

Bani: (echoes) Decent? ….(hint of disappointment)

Jai: (teasingly)Yes. … Why, were you expecting for me to say anything else?

The color red stains her cheeks and she hastily denies him while looking miffed. She had spent so long in getting ready and all he has to say to her is that she looks "decent"? If she could, she would kill him right there with her bare hands…

Bani: Don't be ridiculous… I don't give a hoot of what you think about me…

Jai: (raises a brow) You don't?

Bani: Why should I? And what does your opinion matter? Keep your comments to yourself, I don't need them….

Jai's lips crack into a smile as he can clearly see the hidden disappointment that she covers with her snappy avatar mood. He enjoys seeing her get so mad all of the time… She is, he believes, unbelievably cute when she is. His eyes linger on her form as she walks around the kitchen, setting up all of the food onto platters. She is absolutely ravishing in a flattering red strapless dress that ends just below her knees with a sash wrapped around in the middle and the bow in the back. Her layered silky black hair is straight and let loose unlike how she usually keeps it up in a bun or ponytail….

Jai: … You have a nice family… even if it's full of complete psychos…

He says suddenly once a silence between them begins to build, one he cannot bear. Bani's gaze switches quickly over to him on hearing this.

Bani: You've been spying on my family?

Jai: Spying? No…. I'd say—more like observing… That is all I can ever do these days anyways… (ending softly)

Bani, who had opened her mouth to retort, closes it as she finds she can't say anything else back to this… Instead she silently nods her head in acknowledgement. That moment they hear the doorbell ring and seconds later Pia's excited screams of delight as she greets in the first of their guests in. Bani throws Jai a warning look while saying, "Behave….None of your funny business." Jai simply smiles it off and wanders out of the kitchen with his hands dug into his pockets and a paranoid Bani follows after him….

Bani spent most of the time keeping her eye on Jai and of his wanderings around the house… She didn't want him proving to be a distraction as how he is at work. It nerved her when she saw him going around, despite knowing very well that he means no harm. It puzzled her and made her uneasy on how all of these people are oblivious to a spirit floating about them….

As she is miserably stuck in a conversation struck by a few people she knows, suddenly, she feels a grip on her arm and her sister excusing her away. She is confused and curious as to where her sister is taking her. Finally Pia leads her off to somewhere and flashes an excited smile once facing her.

Bani: Pia? What is this? Where are you taking me?

Pia: I'm taking you where you ought to be at the moment… and not socializing with unimportant people.

Bani: And I suppose you have something more important for me to do? (eyeing her strangely)

Pia: Very important! (emphasizes) …. Now, just stand here and look pretty…. Don't go off anywhere.

Before Bani has a chance to inquiry about her sister's strange behavior, Pia leaves her and disappears within the mix of guests. She stands by herself, wrapped in her own thoughts… well, she thought she was alone until she heard….

Jai: You are in a room full of people, yet, you still are alone…. What a shame.

Bani gives him an annoyed glance and crosses her arms as she looks away from him.

Bani: (grumbling) You again…

Jai: You didn't think I would leave, did you?

Bani: I was hoping you would….

Jai: Sure you did… which is why you have been constantly looking at me for the past thirty minutes. … I'm not sure you really want me gone, doc.

Stunned, Bani stares back at him and receives a wink. She flushes brightly and immediately responds to wipe the silly pompous smile on his face.

Bani: Don't be stupid… I was simply seeing if you weren't---if you weren't behaving inappropriately as you always do…

Jai: (dryly) I am sure that is just why… because I well known for doing just that.

Bani doesn't bother to reply… That very moment she sees with wide eyes as two figures emerge into view, one being her sister, and one being….

Jai: Who is that man coming this way? (curiously)

Bani: (breathes in surprise) Jesus Christ…

Jai: (tilting his head)…Hmmm, I don't see the resemblance… He looks more like a monkey… No son of God.

Bani: He does not! (protesting)

Jai: (judgmentally) Well, sure… if you're into those types… Be my guest.

Bani: (rolling her eyes) I swear, you act like such a pompous, snooty rich man sometimes….

Pia approaches Bani by the nearby windows and eyes her curiously as she sees her sister bickering under hushed voices with absolutely no one. She clears her throat loudly to draw her attention.

Pia: Bani?

Bani immediately stops midway in her sentence and looks away from Jai over to Pia—as well as to the man smiling sheepishly next to her.

Pia: I want you to meet Pushkar… Pushkar Shukla… You remember him, don't you? From mine and your Jiju's wedding?

Bani feels herself become flustered in front of Pushkar's presence and tongue tied. Jai watches this with some level of amusement and dislike. He eyes Pushkar once more… About six foot tall…long rurally dark hair… black eyes…. high cheekbones… tanned brown dark skin… thin frame… And this was a man Bani had once taken interest in?

Greedily Bani takes Pushkar's appearance in… He has changed somewhat since the last she saw him but still is the same old gorgeous man she had taken an immense liking to. He has obviously matured over the years… she can see as now he has grown a goatee.

Bani: (friendly) Pushkar… It-it's so great to see you again…

Pushkar gives her his familiar warm smile and replies back with a certain twinkle in his eyes.

Pushkar: Bani… It's been so long… You look amazing.

Bani blushes lightly in pleasure and throws Jai a side glance at this as he clearly interprets as "Why-don't-you-learn-from-this-man?" He bites back a smile.

Pushkar: These past years have been more than kind to you….

Jai is alerted on hearing this… Does he by any chance—detect flirting? Unknowingly he glowers at the young man before him….

Bani: (soft giggle, pleased) Thank you… You look great yourself.

Pia: Well… I think I'll leave you two to yourselves… To catch up of course… I have other guests to attend… Make yourself comfortable Pushkar…

Pushkar: (courteously) Thank you Pia…

Pia smiles sweetly at him before leaving them alone. Pushkar looks to Bani who nervously runs her fingers through her hair.

Pushkar: I… I, er…. Left you a message Bani… a week ago… Telling you that I am visiting for sometime…

It takes a moment for Pushkar's words to make sense to Jai, who puts two and two together and stares at Bani with disbelief….

Jai: I don't believe this…. You never called him back?

Bani flushes dark red from embarrassment as Jai throatily laughs at her expense.

Jai: You made such a big issue about calling to arrange a date and you didn't even return his call! And all this time I thought you did… I mean, with the way you kept on boasting about Pushkar whenever he came up and how you were going to meet him very soon. --- (laughing)

Bani: (ignoring Jai, sheepishly) Oh, you did? … I'm sorry… I don't think I got it… I've been wrapped up in my work for these past few weeks… You know how the hospital gets…

Jai: (remarks) More like you've been avoiding his call every chance you got!

Pushkar: (smiling politely) It's alright… and I understand. You're a doctor. … Obviously you are very busy. … I'm just glad it wasn't for any other reason.

Jai tries his best to stifle his laughter but to no success. Bani gives him a silent glare.

Jai: I'm sorry, but I can't help it…. I feel bad for the boy. Poor kid doesn't know he is being fooled with…

Beginning to feel lousy and guilty, Bani realizes she hadn't done the right thing in avoiding Pushkar's call, like how Jai said, every chance she got. Especially now that Jai has caught on to her little white lie that set the impression that she called Pushkar back.

Bani: (meekly) Of course not… I'm sorry for not replying. I'll try to check my messages more often.

Pushkar: (smiling it off)…. I think it's best that you hadn't heard it… It's better if I do this in person…

Slightly nervous, giving him an innocent look yet knowing what he's about to say….

Bani: (squeaks) Do what?

Even Jai begins to grow a little curious and eyes Pushkar darkly while echoing, "Yes… Do what?" Pushkar comes forth, causing both Jai and Bani to eye him warily, and takes a hold of Bani's hand.

Pushkar: Bani… I really like you. And I want to be more than just friends…. I find you very beautiful and attractive…

A blush creeps onto Bani's cheeks on hearing his words…

Bani: (shyly) … I… I like you too Pushkar….

Jai's eyebrows raise on hearing this and he throws Bani a certain look which she ignores. A pleased smile spreads onto Pushkar's face and Jai finds himself wanting to wipe it off right away.

Pushkar: (carrying on hesitantly) … Would… would you mind going out with me sometime? … As in a date, I mean…

Jai snorts as if this is the most hilarious thing he has ever heard. "No chance kid, this woman wouldn't stop working even if the world was coming to an end…," he comments. Bani again sends a hateful glare in his direction before switching her gaze back onto an awaiting Pushkar.

Bani: … I would love to Pushkar…

Alarmed, Jai turns to her seeming a little startled by her answer. He eyes her intently while demanding, "What are you getting at, doc?" Throwing Jai an impish smile, Bani places her own hand over Pushkar's causing Jai's brows to rise even further in surprise than before. She draws in a little closer to Pushkar and gives him a small, flirty smile.

Bani: In fact… I am free tomorrow if you would like to take me then….

Jai is taken aback at the sensuality in her tone and is awed by her unusual behavior… As far as he has known her, he never knew a flirty side to Bani Dixit could exist…. To his great dislike, a wide smile appears on Pushkar's lips on hearing Bani's suggestion. He replies back with a fevered enthusiasm….

Pushkar: That's great, I'm free as well…. How does going out for lunch sound?

Jai crosses his arms against his chest and stares darkly in Bani's direction while dryly stating, "Don't you have some surgery scheduled for tomorrow? …. Where are your priorities, doc?" Bani gives him an annoyed glance while replying, "Don't be stupid, I don't have anything scheduled for tomorrow… I'm absolutely free." Jai grumbles at her answer while Pushkar seems startled at her strange reply.

Pushkar: Oh… well, then that's fantastic that you're free… (he answers awkwardly)

Bani flushes as she hadn't meant for him to hear her and covers up by sweetly saying, "Lunch sounds wonderful." Pushkar's boyish grin returns and he kisses her hand sweetly, bringing a blush onto Bani's cheeks—not because of the kiss, but because of the look on Jai's face by the action.

Pushkar: Great, so I will call later and we could arrange where we will meet…. I will see you then.

Bani: (surprised) You're leaving already? Why don't you stay?

"Yes, good idea doc, have the monkey stay and hop around some more, why don't you?" Jai remarks, only earning himself a glower in his direction. Pushkar smiles politely while stating, "I was actually planning on a brief visit for Veer's party… My day's schedule is pretty tight for right now."

Bani: Oh… that's a shame.

Pushkar: I know, I'm a horrible uncle but duty calls. I'll make it up to the little guy later.

Bani smiles on hearing this and nods her head understandingly. Pushkar catches her off guard as he comes close and kisses her gingerly on the cheek.

Pushkar: Bye Bani…

Bani: (blushing) …. Bye Pushkar.

She watches Pushkar wander off and greet Pia and Aparajit before leaving. She turns only to face Jai's grim looking face and flushes more than before while avoiding his scrutinizing eyes….

Bani: What?

She demands innocently as she walks back on over to the festivity of the party. Jai follows her closely behind, continuing to seem slightly off.

Jai: Don't try and pretend nave with me, doc…. I know you are the least nave person in this world. What the hell was all that for?

Bani: What do you mean?

Jai: (pointing to where they were last) That! With that monkey of yours!

Bani: (annoyed) Would you quit calling him a monkey?!

Jai: Well what else am I supposed to call him when he looks like one?

Bani growls and continues to stalk off, pretending in busying herself with resupplying platters with food and arranging things around on the dining table.

Bani: What is your problem anyways? You are the one who is hell bent on always reminding me that I am a social outcast… and now when I am finally getting myself involved with other people—you are against the idea?

Bani questions him as Jai joins her at the table. He looks surprisingly annoyed and grouchy over something which puzzles her.

Jai: I didn't say get involved with the likes of him. (sneers)

Placing both of her hands on her hips, Bani stares up at him to meet his gaze with growing confidence.

Bani: And what is so wrong with him?

Jai: He…. He….

Jai's voice trails off as he becomes tongue-tied, having to think for a moment for a proper reply. Bani watches this with amusement.

Jai: … There's just something about him that I don't like…

He finally says, however, this isn't a good enough of a reason for Bani who simply stares at him with query. Then suddenly something hits her and a smile twitches on the corners of her mouth.

Bani: Jai…. Are you…. Are you jealous?

She asks him just as this thought strikes her. Jai, as a response, scoffs at the idea.

Jai: Don't be ridiculous. I wouldn't be jealous over a buffoon like him.

Bani: You wouldn't? –How do you know? You don't know anything about yourself. Maybe you would be when you were among the living. Maybe you would be jealous of his good looks and the man he is. You know he's into law, he's got a great job. Perhaps you had a low-struggling life. –Just a thought.

She says casually while flashing him a victorious smile. Jai, on the other hand, stares down at her—doubting the very proposition of her idea.

Jai: Not possible… I own an apartment that costs a fortune… Besides, earlier you proposed that I could be a rich, snooty man. What happened to that thought? Why are you now intending on making me think I am a pauper? Maybe I am indeed a filthy rich man who clearly has good taste in clothes, obviously beats your monkey of a boyfriend in the looks category, and lived a wonderful content life?

Bani: (shocked)You are such a pompous man…. It is impossible to even deal with you.

Jai: (grins his million dollars worth smile) I will take that as a compliment… --But you'll have to agree to one thing… I may be pompous, yet completely right at the same time…

Her eyes leave his face and scan down to the rest of his body. To her great displeasure, she really had to give in and agree. His whole appearance reeks with money—his black Armani suit fits him well and compliments him perfectly, he has been blessed with handsome God given looks, and his apartment will suck up all of her life savings. Yes, he is an arrogant man—but right nonetheless.

Bani: (mutters) I wonder how anyone could have ever tolerated you when you were alive….

Jai: I bet I was well—it is only you who I choose to behave like this with.

Shocked, Bani stares up at him just in time to see him wink at her. He digs his hands into his pant pockets and strolls off while whistling a happy tune. She knew it. The insufferable, pig of a man is purposely out to get her and make her life into a miserable living hell….

"I hate you so much! I hope you rot in hell!" she yells at his retreating back and becomes infuriated as she only hears him chuckling at her frustration. Feeling a touch on her shoulder, Bani turns around and meets face to face with her brother-in-law who gives her a strange look…

Aparajit: Bani, you alright? Who are you speaking to?

Dumbfound, Bani stumbles over her own words as she replies, "N-n-no one Jiju… I-I was just… singing a song," she ends meekly. Aparajit raises a brow and examines her closely.

Bani: Eer… it's a rock song?

She explains, hoping this would make more sense to him with her choice of words. She sees him understandingly nod his head, accepting her lame lie.

Aditya: Well if you don't mind me saying… but I'd rather you be careful in what you … choose to sing, Bani. You wouldn't want any of the children picking up anything from it.

Bani flushes from embarrassment and she wears an apologetic look on her face. Hearing a familiar snigger nearby, she hides her anger well while apologizing to her brother-in-law.

Bani: I'm sorry Jiju…

Aditya: That's quite alright. Now, your sister wants you in the kitchen. She says it's about time we bring Veer's cake out.

Before moving towards the direction of the kitchen, Bani shoots Jai a hateful stare who loiters near the staircase and simply smirks back at her. "Oooo, I could just kill that man," she mumbles to herself while pushing the kitchen door open….

The next day at work Bani was surprised on seeing Jai appear at the hospital around noon time. She is taken aback by his appearance and questions him curiously as to why he is here out of the bloom.

Bani: What are you doing here? I thought I was clear on my ground rules. You can't just show up at my work whenever you feel like it…

Jai: What makes you think that I am here because I want to be? –Spending time in a hospital doesn't happen to be one of my favorite pass times just so you know…

Bani: Well, what are you here for then?

Jai: I came to tell you that I think I've foun---

"Dr. Dixit!" someone bellows for Bani from behind. Both Jai and Bani follow the voice and find one of the nurses from the front counter lifting up the phone in view.

"There's a call for you. Some man is claiming he has a set appointment with you. Some Pushkar Shukla fellow," she finishes in an annoyed tone. Bani is jolted by this piece of news and shares a quick glance with Jai before excusing herself to attend it. Jai sighs and decides in following her over to the counter as he has nothing else to do. Bani takes the phone and presses it against her ear. Jai disinterestedly hears her talk for a moment or two before disconnecting and turning to look at him with an expression of building panic.

Bani: Pushkar is on his way over here to pick me up for lunch any minute now!

Jai: Yes, you had agreed to this before. And now you are making this into a huge deal—….because?

Bani: Because I thought we would meet up at the restaurant and I would have some time to be ready! But now he's on his way and I look like a mess! Oh my God, I need to go get ready!

Bani's eyes land on the bathrooms nearby and she doesn't waste time in rushing towards its direction. She hurriedly pushes through the ladies' door and stands before the mirror, tending to her hair. A few seconds later she unexpectedly hears Jai's voice say….

Jai: You know, sometimes I would wonder how the inside of a women's bathroom is like….

She looks over to him for a moment, finding him standing beside her in front of the row of mirrors.

Bani: And?

Jai: I don't see what it is that attracts you women in here all of the time… but I have to say, it's relatively cleaner than the men's.

Intrigued, Jai watches Bani pull out her makeup supplies from her purse and begin to apply her eyes with kohl. He shakes his head with disbelief.

Jai: So much effort to impress a monkey?

Bani pulls back and examines her appearance before replying…

Bani: Yes, because I happen to like this monkey….

Jai: Don't…

He suddenly says as Bani reaches for another cosmetic item. Bani glances over to him at this.

Bani: Don't what?

Jai: You don't need all of this crap… You're beautiful just the way you are. And if that monkey boy of yours can't see this, then he's not worth your time.

Bani drops the item back into her purse and gazes into his deep gray eyes. Finally, she tears her eyes away while blushing red. She shyly tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear and looks down. Before she can even thank him, they are interrupted as the restroom door opens. A woman walks by and Bani remains silent, turning her attention back to the mirror and fishes through her purse for one of her hair pins. From the corner of her eye, she catches Jai staring at the woman with a level of interest. She curses him silently to herself. Really, what a shameless man…..

She locates her pins and begins in pinning her hair in place. While she is almost done in doing this, one of the bathroom stalls open and the same woman from before comes out from it. She joins her at the sinks and washes her hand. A moment later she leaves Jai and Bani alone to themselves again…

Jai: She looks familiar… Very familiar… I think I may know her.

He states while looking at her. Bani gives him a shocked expression on hearing this.

Bani: (disbelief) You know her?

Jai: Yes, I believe so… Why else would she seem so familiar? … Why, what's so wrong?

Bani: That woman is the hospital slu---(gasp) Wait a minute….

Jai: (eyeing her carefully) What?

Bani now completely ignores her hair and focuses her attention onto Jai who doesn't understand what has suddenly happened to her.

Bani: Jai… did you… did you ever sleep with her?

She sees his brows rise as he ponders over the idea. Suddenly recognition registers on his face and to Bani's great disgust, he says…

Jai: Yes, now I remember… I bumped into her at some party some time back…. Then I brought her over to the apartment and we—

Bani: (horrified) Jai, I didn't ask for details!

Jai: Well you asked sweetheart…

Bani takes in a heavy breath before going on and saying…

Bani: Jai, that girl gets around… if you know what I mean by that…

Jai: (dryly) Yes, I do believe that I am still in touch with the today's vernacular…

Bani: And for you to have ever met her—then you must have been also…..

Her voice trails off and Jai stares at her curiously while straightening up from his leaned position, alerted by what Bani is hinting at…

Jai: What? –Are you suggesting that I was some kind of a man wh*re?

Bani turns bright red from his words and hurriedly shakes her head to deny him.

Bani: No, that's not what I meant to imply at all!

Jai: As much as I wouldn't mind discussing my s*x life, you are actually the least person I would want to speak about it to….

Continuing to flush, Bani nods her head understandingly and turns back to the mirror, finishing the last touches to her hair. After a moment she quietly remarks…

Bani: It's a little funny that you can remember some night you spent with a woman, but nothing else about your life….

Jai: Well actually, now that you've brought this up, I came here to tell you that I—

The ringing of Bani's cell cuts into what Jai was saying and Bani turns her focus to it. She sees that she has gotten a SMS and looks up at Jai after reading it.

Bani: It's Pushkar! I've got to go! He's waiting outside!

Jai: Wait, Bani, I need to tell you—

Bani scurries in collecting her things and placing them into her purse before pulling her purse onto her shoulder. She rushes toward the door, the heels of her shoes clicking against the tiles…

Bani: Tell me later!

Jai sighs as he sees her vanish behind the door and exasperatedly runs his fingers through his thick black hair….

Bani runs her fingers delicately through her small bouquet of pink roses after smelling the sweet scent of them. Pushkar was charming enough to get her flowers for their lunch date. She was glad she was out at lunch with him---she had forgotten how much of a great guy he is. At the moment they are at a beautiful restaurant, sitting outdoors at one of the tables. The weather is great as well as the environment. Over all, it is just a really good time and place to have a date…. At least, Bani thought this before she was given an unexpected surprise.

"Mind if I take a seat?" she suddenly hears a very familiar voice question. Bani closes her eyes and shakes her head while muttering to herself, "No… this can't be happening. He's not here." Unfortunately once she opens her eyes, she sees Jai smiling before her, standing right beside an oblivious Pushkar who continues to speak to her. She glares hard at him, hoping that he'll get the message and go away but of course it doesn't and to her misfortune Jai seats himself down onto one of the spare chairs at their table.

Jai: Boy, what a beautiful day to have a date, isn't it doc?

Jai comments while flashing her his regular brilliant smile. She tries ignoring him and turns back to listen to Pushkar, who still is ignorant as to what is happening. Yet inside she is dying to know what he is even doing here in the first place…

Jai: (observantly) Hmm… your lover boy has come in a suit. You would think it would do wonders to his image, but really, it only makes him seem like a monkey stuck in a tux.

Bani reddens as she has to hold back from commenting back on his remark, which was proving to be rather difficult. She continues to focus her gaze on Pushkar and not letting her eyes wander over to the distracting presence of Jai.

Jai: … I see he gave you the flowers. He just picked them a second ago at the flower cart right down the corner. It's a very cheap choice if you ask me… buying them from some stingy cart with rotting flowers. Your boyfriend has very low standards…

Finally deciding that she has had enough, Bani straightens in her chair and stealthily knocks over her glass of water, causing the liquid to overflow onto their table. Pushkar's words die out on seeing this and he quickly moves his chair back, avoiding from getting wet.

Bani: (sounding apologetic) Oh Pushkar, I'm so sorry…. I didn't mean to spill it… It was an accident. Oh god…I-I'll just go and get some napkins…

Pushkar raises his hand to prevent her from doing so and politely offers, "No, it's alright, you sit down. I'll just go and get them."

Bani: Are you sure?

Pushkar: Of course, don't worry about it. I'll be right back.

Bani watches with relief has he gets out from his chair and walks away, giving her time to deal with her ghost friend… She quickly turns to face him.

Bani: (hotly) First of all, he just came from work—which explains the suit. And I think he looks very handsome in it for your information! Also, I could care less about where he got the flowers from. Expensive or not, it's the thought that counts. I find them beautiful either way! ---And lastly, what on earth are you doing here?! Do you not understand the concept of a date? It is exclusive and only for two. I don't ever remember inviting you or ever hearing about such a thing as a "threesome" date!

To her astonishment, instead of having the decency of being embarrassed or at least apologetic, Jai relaxes against the back of his chair and folds his hands against his head.

Jai: Don't have a panic attack, doc… I was simply walking around and happened to see you and your monkey, so I decided to come and drop by. It was a rather thoughtful, don't you think?

Bani: Oooh, I don't believe you! You are lying! You purposely wanted to come here and ruin my date!

Jai seems taken aback on this and sits straight up in his chair, holding her gaze with his.

Jai: (feigning innocence) Me, ruin your date? And why would I want to go ahead and do something like that? It seems more to me that you are ruining it with your own hands… with the way you were about to spill water all over your date. (tauntingly)

Bani: Well I wouldn't have done it if it weren't for you. (accusingly)

Jai: Look, I simply wanted to come by and check up on how your date is going as a concerned friend… is that so much of a crime? (defensively)

Bani: Concerned friend my foot! You are the devil who is out to get me!

Jai frowns on hearing this.

Jai: Really Bani, how low do you think of me? ---Honest to God, I just came to see how things were going… Bani Dixit is out on her first date after eons… It's a big deal, no? (mockingly)

Bani: (flushing, demanding) Who told you that I haven't been on a date since eons?!

Jai: (raises a brow) No one… I was just assuming… But now I can see that it is true. You really haven't been on a date for awhile, have you? (scrutinizing her)

Turning bright red as a tomato, Bani is terribly embarrassed and speechless, not knowing how to reply to him.

Bani: (sheepishly) …. No…. It's not true… In fact, just a month ago I----

Bani stops midway into her lie as she sees a look form on Jai's face, showing her that he isn't buying a single word of hers. She sighs and gives in.

Bani: God, fine, you're right. It's true. –It's not even worth lying to you. For some reason you get the truth out anyway….

Jai: (ponderingly) …. Perhaps I had been a police officer?…

Bani: It'd explain a lot really if you were one…. (sighing) Really Jai, what have you come here for?

Jai: I told you before. I was walking around and I saw you here with Pushkar… so came on by. And also, I couldn't resist the urge to come and poke some fun at your friend's expense. It was too tempting to just walk away. (softly grins)

Unknowingly Bani returns the smile and surprisingly finds herself giggling at his admittance, something they both knew was obvious from the beginning. Besides, he is, she believes, too cute to stay mad at for too long. Jai chuckles a little with her as well.

Jai: And I'm glad I didn't… otherwise I would have missed the sight he makes.

Bani: Oh Jai… leave poor Pushkar alone. He's a really great guy.

Jai: I'm afraid I can't… poking fun of that kid has become into my favorite pass time. I mean, even by just his appearance--- (chuckles)

Bani: (giggling) Jai, stop it—

She didn't know why she was laughing. Maybe because secretly she knew it was all true or it was just Jai in general. But it was then she realized this was their first time they were somewhat bonding…

"Whose Jai?" she suddenly hears another voice speak. Startled, Bani turns away from Jai, who has stopped laughing on seeing Pushkar reappear. Bani becomes serious as well and her laughter too dies down quickly.

Bani: Oh… (tongue-tied) Jai… Um… Jai is…. Jai is my cousin!

She answers hastily. Jai eyes her at this with a grim lingering on his mouth.

Bani: I… er… tend to remember him at odd times… (nervous chuckle) Good old cousin Jai….

Jai: (dryly) Cousins… Nice one. Fortunately I am not really related to you. Otherwise, I think I would might just end up killing my—

Bani: (hastily) Did you bring the napkins?

Pushkar takes his seat and presents them to view. Immediately he sets in drying the table which Bani follows in pursuit.

Pushkar: Yeah… Had to bloody get them myself. It's like all the waiter's of this restaurant died and disappeared somewhere. Anyways--- So your cousin Jai, huh? Tell me about him. Sounds to me that you two are close. (nicely requests)

Jai: Oh you have no idea my monkey friend…

Bani bites down on her lips to prevent herself from giving into her laughter. After a moment she speaks on seeing Pushkar waiting for a reply….

Bani: Oh… um… yes, yes we are. (clearing her throat, flashing him a smile) Very….

Jai: Come on couz, tell your boyfriend here about some stories… you know, of our wonderful childhood together. I'd really love to relive the memories… (smirking)

Bani glares at him for mocking her and taking this to his liking. But to her luck, she actually ends up hearing Pushkar ask….

Pushkar: … so did you two grow up together, then? Any stories you have to share?

Bani: (stumped) Um….. um…. Gosh, they're so many of them that I can't really remember them all…

Jai: Wow, that close huh? (sarcastic)

Pushkar: Come on… You must have at last one to share….

Jai: Yes … (continuing to mock her) You've got to have at last one memory to share about your good old cousin Jai….

Again Bani shoots him a hateful stare but then out of nowhere a thought creeps into her mind and slowly her lips crack into a scheming smile…

Bani: Well, there is this one memory I can never forget….

Pushkar: Yeah, and what's that?

Bani: Well… it was around when I was eight… Jai came over like he always did…. But at one point he went missing for some time….

From the corner of her eye she sees Jai focusing his attention to her and listening intently to what she has to say. It is almost as if he is daring her to continue on….

Pushkar: Wow, what happened to him?

Bani: (licking her dry lips) Well… I started looking around the house hoping to find him somewhere… and when I had thought I checked everywhere, my sister Rano told me that she had seen him going into my parent's room some time before….

Jai raises a brow on this and proceeds in scrutinizing her….

Bani: (a smile beginning to grow) So I went in there to look…. And I found him wearing my mother's clothing and playing dress up—imitating any young girl…. I still haven't forgotten this incident and tease him about it whenever I can….

To her satisfaction she sees Pushkar laughing at what he thinks is a cute story yet Jai seems unaffected and is strangely quiet for a moment. He then astonishes her as he slowly smiles broadly and leans back, resting against the support of his chair.

Jai: If that is your definition of playing dirty then I must say—you are in grave need of learning.

Bani clearly shows her astonishment that is expressed on her face which only causes Jai's smile to widen. He chuckles his annoyingly adorable laugh….

Jai: You were thinking of ruining my image…. It was a smart move, but badly executed…. Besides, what do I care about what your baboon thinks of me…. Your cousin Jai doesn't even exist….

She mutters a few bad names under her mouth before turning her gaze onto her date, frustration building inside of her from her unsuccessful payback…. She will get him one day even if it's the last thing she would do.

Bani: (sweetly) Anyways…. You were telling me all about your work and court before? If you don't mind, I'd very much like to hear about all that….

And so Pushkar continued from where he had left off, informing Bani about what he does as a profession and the inside environment of a court. Soon time flies by and secretly Bani finds herself being bored to death with his droning voice as he talks on and on about nothing that interests her. She was beginning to question the very image she built about Pushkar. He appears to be every woman's dream but in reality she was discovering he was not meeting to the qualities. He was dull, had an awkward sense of humor, pompous when it came to his work, and too sweet and polite for her liking. Not that it is bad that he behaves as a perfect gentlemen, but she wishes that he would just lighten up and relax around her instead of keeping the unbreakable exterior he has made for himself. Time to time she would throw Jai glances and see that even he has reached the brink of boredom. But then again, he was bored with the idea of the date to begin with.

If she had to be honest, it was due to Jai that she even felt the environment as alive. The same very witty jokes she detested from the beginning, she was growing to love and develop a soft spot for. Many times throughout the event of her date she had to either pretend to use her napkin when really she wanted to cover her mouth to hide her forming grins or either clear her throat and cough to avoid giving into the temptation of laughter. –But of course she would never tell him this. There was no need for her to inflate his ego anymore than it already is.

Pushkar: It's the same as the case of Weberry vs. Sanders in 1963… where free legal counsel was established if the defendant in any criminal case couldn't afford it…

He finishes just before taking a hold of his glass of water and taking a sip. Bani wanted to scream in agitation that she could give a d*mn about his stupid knowledge of law when suddenly she heard Jai exclaim out of frustration after rolling his eyes….

Jai: It's the Gideon vs. Wainwright case in 1963 you moron… and Weberry vs. Sanders was in '64… Get your facts straight before you decide to go off flaunting off your study of law…

Obviously Jai had been easily irritated with Pushkar as was Bani at the moment. But she was amazed with what Jai had said. As far as she has known him, she never knew he secretly held a plentiful of knowledge himself….

Bani: …. How do you know that?

She expressed her awe to him and immediately regretted her slip up once Pushkar questioned…

Pushkar: Excuse me?

Bani sits up straight in her seat and clears her throat. She nervously pushes aside a strand of her hair.

Bani: Um, sorry…. But don't you mean the Gideon vs. Wainwright case in 1963?

She watches as Pushkar is taken aback by her suggestion and ponder over it thoughtfully. Irritation strikes across his face as he roughly replies….

Pushkar: Well yes, it was. I just got the cases mixed up. It was an easy slip. The both follow accordingly to one another—that is why. (defensively)

Before he can even demand how she knew this, her beeper rings—filling her with an endless amount of relief into her. She looks at it quickly and smiles delightfully on seeing that she is needed. She covers this up though as she stares over into Pushkar's direction with a small frown.

Bani: I'm sorry Pushkar… but I'm afraid our lunch has to end here. I'm needed back in the hospital. There's been a road accident and a few have been left with causalities. I'm sorry….

Pushkar: Oh…. No need to apologize. I understand. Your job's important—you're a doctor. Obviously you are needed. I'm just sorry that our date has to be cut short.

Jai: (disbelief) Short? You were about to give me the needed boost towards death…. (turns to Bani) Now I know why I am the way I am … I must have known this b*stard when I was alive—his "intellectual" knowledge must have drove me to my death bed but it didn't work so he is after me now to finish it….

Bani's hand flies to her mouth to keep her from laughing and she meets Pushkar's eye as she does this.

Pushkar: (curiously) What's wrong?….

Bani: (removing her hand) Oh… um… nothing. It's just that…. I-I realized that I left my coffeemaker running since morning in my apartment… I'm going to have to call someone so they can go turn it off.

Jai: (eyeing her closely) Really Bani, your ability to lie so easily amazes me sometimes…

Bani blushes lightly from this and carries haste in her tone as she goes onto saying…

Bani: I've really got to go now Pushkar… Lunch was great…. I had fun. (she surprisingly attempts to say)

Hurriedly she takes her purse into her hand and pulls it securely onto her shoulder before flashing her date a feeble smile.

Pushkar: I did too…. Can I call you?

Bani: Of course! (sweetly)

I'm just going to have to change my phone number later then, she comments to herself. Pushkar grins and bids her a farewell allowing her to leave the dreadful place. She walks so quickly that Jai has to take big strides in order to catch up to her.

Jai: Isn't the hospital that way Bani?

Bani: (unable to conceal her forming smirk) Who said anything about going to the hospital?

Jai: (dumbfound) There was an accident though…. Aren't they going to need you for the crash victims?

Bani begins to slow down in her pace as she is relaxed in being at a safe distance away from the restaurant. She gives Jai a sly, guilty look but for some reason was enjoying herself just about now…

Bani: (laughter bubbling up inside of her) There is no accident… I only made that up to get away…. Pia was the one who actually paged me… She wants me to call her… But knowing her, it's anything but important…

Jai: …. I am stunned doc…. (starting to grin himself) But oddly proud at the same time…..

Bani: (giggling) Thank you…. So where to?

Jai: (continuing to grin at her unusual act) To the apartment… there's something I want to show you….

Together they went to the apartment and once inside, Jai did not waste any longer in taking her to her bedroom and revealing a certain slip of paper lying idly under the bed….

ducky_euro thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
omg first
yeah told u, jai was going to do something to spoil that so called date
go for it bani, pushy is a good-for-nothing monkey
guess jai found something about his life nah?
cont soon
SA
Edited by ducky_euro - 15 years ago
ria_h85 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
finally u updated! have been waiting for it....

Well the update was great.....I enjoyed reading it for almost half an hour 😆 Lovely scenarios....Waiting for Bani to meet the real Jai 😳
Edited by riahasan85 - 15 years ago