Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kamy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
dil, what a lovely update i am loving this already... i am waiting eagerly for the next part. Jai is superb i already love the character... take care
love
kamy
Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you all so much, your comments mean a lot. 😳 I'm glad you all are enjoying it so far. Here is the next part. 😃 ---and oh, don't worry, I haven't forgotten about my other ff. It's just more time consuming to write.

Chapter 4:

"Good Morning Mr. Raichand. And how are you doing this morning?" Bani asks him in her normal professional tone she takes with her patients. She takes Mr. Raichand's charts that one of the nurses hands over to her and reads through them, trying to her best of capabilities to distract herself from noticing the irking presence of her greatest nemesis at the moment. Along as behaving oblivious to Jai's company beside her, Bani fails to notice a delightful smile appear on the old man's face---one that Jai catches too well.

Mr. Raichand: Oh, it's so nice seeing you here Bani… I'm having a rather nice morning, now that you have come by to see me. (adding slyly)

Bani: (admonishingly) Well I had to Mr. Raichand… Your blood pressure is going sky rocket lately..

Mr. Raichand: Come on now darling, how many times do I have to remind you. …. I'd prefer it if you'd address me as Vicky as does everyone else.

Jai raises an eyebrow at this, clearly amused. Really, the guts of this man are admirable….Speaking to the likes of a woman like Bani Dixit.

Jai: If I'm not mistaken doc, but your Vicky here seems to be infatuated by you….

Bani's cheeks unwillingly turn a shade of red as she hurriedly denies Jai's conclusion.

Bani: (shooting him down) Don't be silly… He is only a nice man. And he is not my Vicky… (whispers, looking flushed)

Vicky: Darling, you alright? Who are you speaking to?

Bani turns her attention back to her patient, slightly taken aback on this slip of hers being caught, while Jai sniggers to himself.

Bani: (flashes him a feeble smile, hastily) No one… Now, Mr. Raichand----

Vicky: Baannniii. (cutting in, admonishingly)

Bani: (uncomfortable) Uh, errr… I mean…. Vicky… I don't want you over exerting yourself like this. High blood pressure is not what I really want to keep scolding you about. You hear me?

Vicky: Loud and clear Ma'am…. (grins)

Bani: Good…

Bani turns to give some instructions to the nurse nearby while Jai is further amused by seeing Vicky, the sixtyish year old man insists on Bani to call him, set his transfixed gaze on Bani's backside… He follows his eyes to Bani, wondering what is so captivating… and has to admit, for an old man, his taste hasn't gone rotten….

The nurse scurries off to do whatever it is that Bani had informed her to do and Bani changes her attention over to the IVs near Mr. Raichand's hospital bed.

Jai: It's quite amazing, doc, that you are unaware of the man right next to you give you a full thorough check out on your backside… But I must say that I can't really blame him… You do have a cute butt.

Bani gasps and nearly tumbles over the IV stand and its wires, cutting into Mr. Raichand's staring and bringing him back to reality. Jai smiles more on the reaction he managed to get. He winks at a now much blushed Bani who is now feeling violated and hell bent on not showing her backside for him to feast his eyes on with the way she fidgets and turns full faced to him.

Vicky: You alright there sugar?

Bani: (murmurs) Yes, I'm fine. I'll-I'll be right back Mr. Raichand…

Much to Vicky's disappointment, Bani flees out of the room with her face red as a tomato yet her body building with frustration and annoyance. How dare he shamelessly flirt around with her? Perhaps he is taking his whole ghost state too much to his liking and taking full advantage of it. She is further agitated as she feels his presence nearing. Jai lets out a low whistle…

Jai: I've never seen a woman get as quickly as mad as you do, Bani…

Bani stomps on her heel and turns to face him with her hands clenched in tight fists.

Bani: You are enjoying this, aren't you? Harassing me and making me look like a fool in front of others?! (demanding, whispering fiercely)

Jai slyly grins at her.

Jai: Why, is it really that obvious?

Bani: Oooooh, I could just kill you with my two bare hands! But it seems someone else beat me in doing just that!

She watches with delight as she manages to wipe the smirk of off his face. However, he straightens up and towers over her, which causes Bani to regret her words.

Jai: Now you listen here, Bani Dixit----

"Well well well, look at what the cat dragged in…," says a taunting voice from behind. Jai looks up from being cut in the middle of his sentence and Bani follows his gaze behind her. She is agitated in seeing her old time enemy, Meera Khandelwal, standing before her with a wicked smile. She is dressed in a purple turtleneck sweater paired with sleek black dress pants and her white coat pulled around her, her black heels adding an additional three inches to her original 5'3" height. For someone who is quite shorter than her, Meera makes up for the disadvantage with her sharp attitude. The woman's favorite way of passing free time is to get under Bani's skin, which sadly she manages to do all of the time.

Meera: You managed to shock me as well as the rest of the hospital for taking a four day sick leave… considering that you've only made yourself fall behind in the race. But hey, look on the good side… Now Mr. Halthore won't have to be confused on whom to give the residence position to….

Bani: I wouldn't start celebrating just yet, Meera… It's not until another month till Mr. Halthore gives the definite decision. There is still time left… You'll only be wasting it if you keep bragging on like this… Now if you excuse me, I have some matters to take care of to make my time useful… (stressing the last word)

Meera scowls at this and turns to leave while Bani just ignores the encounter and proceeds in walking with a very intrigued Jai following behind…

Jai: Who was she?

Bani: (grumbles) Only the most person I despise in this world…. After you of course….

Jai: Well don't I feel flattered…. How come you loath her so much?

Bani: (rambling) She is set out to ruin my life… We're both after this residence position that is open. Our boss is having a little trouble in deciding who is more deserving, which is ridiculous become I commute my heart and soul into this hospital and that stupid Meera is just---- Urrrgggghhh----…. Just forget about it… I don't even know why I am telling this to you of all people.

Jai: Well obviously this Meera must be doing something as well if she's being considered for the position, don't you think? ….. And she's pretty hot when you think about it… Maybe that's why that boss of yours is taking such a long time to decide. Who to pick, the hot babe or the anti-social low life? (softly chuckles)

Bani: (gasps, offended) I beg your pardon… But I do have a social life…. And I am not a loser like how you're making me seem.

Jai: (raises a brow) Really? Is that why you get along with everyone here so well? Why you have so many friends who call you? Why you are out of the apartment all of the time because you have places to go other than the hospital? (sarcasm dripping from his tone)

Bani blushes as she knows he has got her bad. She, however, refuses to give in….

Bani: (feebly) I do have a social life….

Jai: Whatever you say, doc…

She fumes as she increases her walking speed. Stupid, idiot, moron… Who does he think of himself? He flirts with me just a minute ago and goes to checking out someone else…. Shameless man. And I do too have a social life…. Right?

Jai yawns in a bored manner as he watches Bani focus on the papers before her and scribble hastily on them. He glances down on the watch strapped on his wrist, noting the time. They have been at the hospital for hours now. Does this woman ever take a break?, he wonders to himself.

Jai: Bani….

Bani: (disinterestedly, keeping her eyes down) Hm?

Jai: We've been here forever… Don't you think you should be heading back?

Bani: (finally looking up) Did I ask you to stay? No, na? Just go on without me…. Leave me alone. I never wanted you around to begin with.

Jai: You really have no life, do you?

Bani: (annoyed) Quit saying that… I do too.

Jai: No you don't…. because if you did, you wouldn't revolve it all around the hospital.

Bani: Just leave me alone… God, you're like a never ending nightmare… (groans)

Jai: And you look exactly like a lunatic right about now….

Bani: What are you talking abou----

Bani's voice trails off as she meets the nurse's eyes at the front desk where she stands. She nervously smiles at her as she sees the nurse eye her strangely and excuse herself out of her chair.

Bani: Great… now I will be the hospital's gossip for this week… They'll be talking about how Dr. Dixit has lost her marbles… all thanks to you.

Jai: (chuckling) Did I ever ask you to reply to me? You do so on your own account. You can't push the fault onto me.

Bani: (glaring) I hate you so much.

Jai: Tell me something I don't know….

Bani: (whining) Go away….

Jai: Shall I go to Meera then?

Bani: (quickly) No….

As quickly as the word had come out from her mouth, she flushes brightly with the intent look Jai gives her. She begins to stammer nervously…

Bani: I mean----I mean---…. What will you do with her? She can't even see you….

Jai: I'll find a way to entertain myself…

Bani: She's a horrid woman though….

Jai: (laughs) And you're not? God, you're worse than her Bani….

She did not know why, but every time she heard her name come out from those lips, funny things would stir inside of her.

Bani: (flushing) You're such a pig….

Jai: (continuing to laugh) Is that all you've got?

Bani: No… you're a pig---and a jerk--and-and—I hope you never come back!

And within a moment, Bani finds herself looking at no one but just the thin air…

Two hours later Bani was forced to leave by both Sonali and Ranveer Verma, another acquaintance of hers who also thinks dearly of her. She grabs her black coat and pulls it around herself just before walking out of the mechanical doors and leaving the hospital. She decides to walk home instead of pulling over a cab since it is only five minutes away. Besides, she needed to clear her head a little.

Ever since Jai left, she was feeling a little…. weird…and lonely. She did not know why it bugged her so much that he suggested to go to Meera. When she looks back to it, she acted irrational and ridiculous. Who is she to him? Absolutely nothing… Yet she acted like a jealous girlfriend or some sort. She didn't think he'd actually go off and leave her too. For the past days he's been around her like a buzzing bumble bee. She was surprisingly getting really used to his presence.

Bani hugs herself tight as she feels a gush of chilly wind surface. Suddenly a panicking thought strikes her… What if he actually listened to her words? What if he really wasn't going to come back? She didn't know why this thought mattered so much to her though. Didn't she want him to go?

Two minutes into her walk, she begins to pass through a park and glances around to admire the view. One particular sight makes her halt in her steps. She stands still as she catches the very image of her thoughts sitting by himself on one of the park benches. For some odd reason, her spirits are lifted and she makes her way over to him quietly.

Bani: What are you doing here in the park? I thought you went off….

She gently inquires as she sits beside him. Bani did not want to harass him as he seems pretty lost and looking vulnerable as a small child. Her heart unwillingly goes out to him at the sight he makes. Jai looks up at her with a gloomy expression. She finds herself drowning into the depths of his beautiful gray eyes.

Jai: (softly) I wanted to…. But didn't know where to go…. I… I don't remember anything… my memory is like a fog to me… I don't know who I am… where I belong… anything to do with my life… only my name and the apartment is familiar to me… And to top it all off, no one can see me…. no one, but you. ----Why is that?

Bani tears her gaze away from him, uncomfortable by the intense look in his eyes, and chooses to stare at her feet that scrap against the dirt under her.

Bani: (lightly shrugs, meeting his tone) I don't know…. I've been asking myself that question too…

Together they sit in the eerie silence, feeling the light breeze blow against them, and hear the sound of rustling trees nearby. Finally Bani stands up and stares down at Jai with a small smile.

Bani: Come on… let's go on back to the apartment.

Jai looks at her as if she has lost her mind. He slowly rises from the bench as well, meeting her soft gaze.

Jai: You brought how many people to come and get rid of me?—And now you suddenly just want me to come along with you?

Bani: Well… that was before… Now I see that you have no one else to go to… and as of now, the apartment is the only home you know of. …. I can't take that away from you.

Jai stares on at Bani, completely thunderstruck by her words, but slowly his features soften and he casts a sort of warming look in her way. Bani smiles shyly at him and blushes a little from his gaze.

Bani: … Aren't you going to come?

Effortlessly Jai returns the smile and joins her in the small walk to the apartment….

If Bani was hoping to form a friendship or even a relationship of understanding with Jai, then she was terribly wrong. Having to even put up with the man was driving her nuts. Same was the case for Jai who made a habit to often address her as a "mad" woman. In other words, they were nearly driving each other insane. But secretly deep inside of Bani, she was enjoying this bickering relationship. She would find herself looking more and more forward to coming back to the apartment than before. Bani made it crystal clear that Jai is not to show up in the hospital since he proves to be a distraction, however, he tends to visit sometimes---completely ignoring her ground rules….

"You've got messages on your voicemail," the first thing Bani hears as she enters into the apartment. She closes the door and grumpily makes her way in. No, hey welcome back? Or, how was your day? This man is impossible, she fumes to herself. But wait, why do I even care? She nears the living room and sees him sitting down on the couch, obviously looking bored. She finds herself wondering again of what he does during the day when she's not around.

"Hello, doc, did you hear me? What, is your lack of sleep finally hitting you hard in the head?" he remarks. She formulates her own answer then and there. He probably plans on how to make my life miserable than it already is, she frowns. Bani takes off her coat and throws it purposely onto him, knowing very well it'll just pass right through him. He glares at her hard.

Bani: Did you listen to any of them? (curiously)

Ever since he snooped around through her work stuff, she doesn't really hold much trust in him. Jai, on the other hand, feigns a look of hurt.

Jai: Really, how low do you think of me?

Bani: (mutters) You don't want to know….

Jai: Well firstly, can't really touch anything now can I?

D*mn, she forgot. Jai smirks at her on having a comeback.

Jai: Secondly, it's not my fault if I happened to overhear. I just happened to be around when they were left for you….. You have quite interesting people in your life…

Bani: (demandingly, eyeing him) What do you mean by that?

Jai: (shrugs) Why don't you listen to them yourself?

Bani continues to eye Jai cautiously as she makes her way around the couch and over to the side table which holds her phone machine. She presses onto the blinking button and listens to her first message that she received sometime in the early afternoon.

"Wednesday, April 11th, 12:34 PM…. First message….," Bani listens on impatiently then finally she hears her baby sister's voice squeak…. "Di, Oh Bani Di…. Y-y-you won't believe what just happened to me…. That stupid boyfriend of mine has been cheating on me! –Well, ex boyfriend now since I dumped his sorry a**…. Daksh cheated on me for six months! And you will never guess with who! –That awful, horrid Raashi!—I know, who would have thought, right?!—and yea I know we absolutely adored her before, but she's absolutely wicked, Di! She went behind my back and continued to act like a close friend all this time! But I caught on, I'm not stupid, I graduated from one of the top schools in Mumbai! Those two don't know the first thing in knowing how to have a secret affair!"

Bani hastily skips the message while at the same time trying to avoid looking at Jai, knowing very well that he must be grinning in being able to spite her. She would look back into her sister's crisis later.

"Wednesday, April 11th, 2:17 PM…. Second message……Your older sister, Pia, here, in case if you have forgotten that she even exists. I know you're not home, but when are you really? Okay, anyways, I just wanted to remind you that Veer's birthday is next week and you are under obligation to your older sister, your Jiju, and your nephew to come no matter what circumstances arise…. I don't want to hear any excuses from you young lady! No surgery crap of yours is going to work on me this time! I don't care if a man is dying and you're the only person who can save him---family comes first! A boy turns five only once in a lifetime! And if you miss his birthday party like you have been doing for the past five years Bani Dixit, I will personally tear you to limbs! No, no, this is what I'll do, I'll put you under the surgery table, take one of your scalpels, and then"----"Message deleted."

Bani removes her finger from the delete button and gives Jai a nervous chuckle. He gives her a look as if saying, "Your family is full of psychos," and she can't help but blush from embarrassment. He is perhaps a little right. Her family is a bit crazy. In fact, she even thought about taking DNA tests to see if she really was related to her sisters—she never got around in doing it though.

"Wednesday, April 11th, 6:28 PM…. Third message….Um, er, Hi Bani…. It's Pushkar… Pushkar Shukla… I know it's pretty weird of me to call you all of a sudden… considering that we haven't even talked since my cousin Jeet's wedding….which was… Wow, six years ago. … I don't even know if you still remember me and I won't blame you if you don't. Six years is bloody too long…. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I am back in Mumbai… I'm meeting up with friends and family…. And… I couldn't help but remember you. I… I was wondering if we could meet up somewhere to catch up, you know? …. To be honest Bani, I'm looking for a little more than friendship here. …. You left quite an impression on me last when we met. I would have pursued it, but you were a little busy with your career at the time…. Jesus, I can't believe I'm saying all this to your machine. Uh, just-just scratch everything that I said… I just want to meet you. That's all. So, uh, er, call me whenever you have the time. My number's 555-897-9632…. I'll be looking forward to your call. Bye."—"End of message, to delete this message, press 1, to save it in the"---

Dumbfound, Bani slowly sits down onto the couch and Jai watches her do so with growing interest which he hides very well behind his steel exterior.

Bani: Wow…. Pushkar Shukla…. I haven't even given him a thought all these years…. I can't believe he's back… (amazed, speaking to herself)

Jai: Old crush? (asks dryly)

Bani: (shaking her head) No…. Well… Maybe… Yeah… I mean, I know I wanted things to go somewhere with him… He was a great guy…. But---

Jai: But work was more important at the time…. (completes for her)

Bani nods her head in affirmative. She then looks over to Jai, wondering why in the world she is even sharing this discussion with him. But before she can fully process this, Jai treads on with the topic….

Jai: You gonna call him?

Bani: (echoes, confused) Call him?

Jai: Yeah… for your date. Did you not hear what the poor lad just said? He's looking for more than friendship, doc.

Bani: I-I couldn't possibly go out with him… I mean, I can't fit a relationship into my life right now… Not when I'm just inches away from success… Besides, I just won't be able to juggle between a man and my job.

Jai seems to be unsurprised by her reply and simply nods.

Jai: (casually) Just what I thought….

Bani is suddenly struck out of her thoughts and switches her attention over to Jai. She grows curious and eyes him squarely.

Bani: What?

Jai: Huh? Oh, nothing… Just forget it.

Bani: No, tell me. What did you mean by, 'Just what I thought?'

Jai straightens up from his laidback posture and meets Bani's pondering eyes.

Jai: Nothing's really shocking from your answer… I knew you'd say no to the idea anyways.

Bani: (offended) And how did you know?

Jai: Oh, it doesn't take a genius to figure you out, doc. I mean, how hard is it really hard to put together a social outcasts' life?

Bani jerks up from the couch and glares hard at Jai who fails in holding back a grin.

Bani: Excuse me Mr. Jai------…. Whatever your last name is! But I do too have a social life! (retorts furiously)

Jai: (eyeing her carefully) You do?

Bani: Of course I do! And to show you, I'm going to call up Pushkar right now and make arrangements of our meeting! I'm fed up with you continuously pointing out that I do not have a social life when I do. Just because I work hard at my job doesn't make me a social outcast. …

Jai looks on as Bani walks through his crossed legs that rest onto the center table and reaches for the phone.

Bani: Now, what was his number? … 555-791? Oh shoot, that's not it… 555-785? Ohhh, I'll just listen to the d*mn message again…

Interestedly, Jai listens to how Bani replays the message and jots down the number right before she begins to punch the numbers into the phone. As soon as she presses the phone against her ear, Jai can't help but voice his thoughts…

Jai: Bani… you're serious about calling him back?

Bani: (hotly) Yes I am!

Jai: (smirks) You really sure you want to do that just about now?

Bani: And why wouldn't I?!

Jai: Because sweetheart, it's 3 o'clock in the morning… He may be looking forward to your phone call, but I don't think so much that he'll happily take your call so late into the night.

Bani freezes for a moment and quickly cuts the call after she hears the other side of the line ring. Her face betrays her by turning a bright shade of red as she feels completely foolish inside. She was so haste in trying to prove Jai wrong that she had no idea she was on the verge of making a complete idiot of herself. She places the phone back onto its receiver and fumes as Jai bursts into a fit of laughter.

Bani: What is it that you do all day anyways?! Trying to plot on how to make me into an idiot?!

She angrily questions him, feeling very irritated by how much he's enjoying harassing her like this. Jai quiets down after a moment but continues to wear a silly grin on his handsome face.

Jai: What I do in my spare time is none of your business. But I can rest assure you that it has nothing to do with plotting against you…. I have better things to do, really.

Letting out a frustrated screech, Bani stomps on her heels and turns to flee into the safety of her bedroom…

mayurmaaneet thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
lol.. JB r hilarious as usual.. love hteir banter.. heheh.. anyway zgreat part yaar.. continue soooon..
MrsKhan-Sobti thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
dis is jus too good..absoutely love JB;s banter...lol..its fun reading
do continue soon
abhilashasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
haila... its so funny... jai is really behind her... so cute that park scene... so bani is already missing jai in his tiny absence... wonder how will she feel when he comes back to life...
Heartbreak thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hey I loved that jai is really doing a good job @ annoying bani ha ha ha
byebye
Love Perveen
j&b84 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
wow this part was so hilarious, i just love jai in this ff, bani as usually is done gr8 job as well. i watch just like heaven after reading your ff i totally enjoy watching tt movie and nw looking forward to your next part as this is far more interseting then the movie...
cheeze thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
JB are so funny................I can just imagine Jai provoking Bani with his comments and behaviour! 😆
The hospital epi was so hilarious 😆 😆 😆
Pushkar Shukla is back and wants to meet up with Bani? 😕 Now let's see if Jai reacts in the same manner as Bani did towards Meera 😆 😳
hooman thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

hey

just love the banters between Jai and Bani and its really funny because to other people it looks like bani is talking to herself, they might think that she lost it..lol cant wait to know more about jai
nadia
jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
hey dil
this is some good stuff yar
loving this jb bicekering
and now pushkar bhi aa gaya
plzzzzzzzzzzzz cont soon