Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ragamthalam0 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

That was depressing he said our journey ends here and she couldn't even express herself,, eagerly waiting for next part pls pls continue soon

smueet thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
i just read your ff and i loved 👏
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee cont soon 😭
😊
abhilashasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
that was so cool... so at last jai is found... now he is under Meera... great... now bani cant even fight for his custody... great...
pooja1_76 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
waiting for next part please continue soon
Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Here you guys go. 😃 Please excuse any mistakes or anything does not make any sense at all. I didn't read over what i wrote again. 😕

Chapter 11:

"Sorry Dixit, but the case is already in Meera's hands and her team. If you were to join the case, it wouldn't make an impact. They've been working on it closely for four months. I doubt that with you on the case that anything will change…," her boss replies to her request in a firm voice. Bani looks at Mr. Halthore with a dejected face.

Bani: But—

Mr. Halthore: Come on Dixit, let it alone. Why is it that you are persisting to join the case? Any special reason?

He asks while scrutinizing her with his dark eyes. Bani's cheeks flush and she gently shakes her head in denial. She would not tell her boss that she was in love with the patient which is why she is so desperate to join the case. That would only give him a stronger reason to not allow her to join in.

Mr. Halthore: (raising a brow) Then?

Bani: … Nothing sir… I just thought the case was interesting.

Mr. Halthore: Dixit, you are already a mess as it is… juggling cases here and there. You are constantly in the hospital. I'd be a fool to hand you over a case. It would be a death sentence to you…. Now get out of here and go home. You look like hell…. Get some rest.

Bani opens her mouth to protest but receives a stern look from her boss and decides to heed to his orders and not ruffle his mane any longer. She gets up from his seat and exits from his office with a defeated sigh. Perhaps Jai was right…. It was just how it was meant to be. But why did it have to be so hard…. so painful? Bani didn't know when she fell in love with Jai Walia… It just happened…. It hit her like a whirlwind once Jai spoke of parting ways…. She began to acknowledge the importance of him in her life… in her heart.

She gloomily walks down the halls of the hospital with thoughts of Jai in mind. What is he doing now? Will he still be in his room? What has he done these past few days? Has he missed her like how she has been missing him? Does he ever think of meeting her again?

"Dr. Dixit?" a nurse asks with query. Looking up, Bani finds that she is standing before the front counter and slowly emerges out of her lost daze. She is startled in finding herself here. "Dr. Dixit?" the nurse asks again. Bani looks to Radhika who smiles cautiously at her. "Everything alright?" Bringing herself back on track, Bani nods at her.

Bani: Yes, everything is alright.

Radhika: Do you need anything?

Bani licks her dry lips and stalls for a reply.

Bani: Would you mind giving me the room number for Mr. Jai Walia again?

Radhika: Of course…. (searching through her data) …Hmmm… His room number is 308.

Bani: (smiles faintly) Thanks Radhika.

Radhika: Sure thing doctor…

Bani walks away with her heart in her throat while in pursuit in locating the room. Of course she hadn't forgotten the room number. She walked by the room almost every chance she got when in the hospital. But she was too scared to go in. Jai made it clear that they had to go their separate ways now… That their journey together has ended. He doesn't need her anymore. She didn't know what she would say when she would see him again. But she knows that she can't keep herself away. She needs to see him, even if he doesn't want to see her….

Finding the room, she takes in a breath and with confidence turns the doorknob and lets herself in… She walks into the private room only to find no one in there, not even the spirit Jai. All she finds is unconscious Jai, unattended, by himself on the hospital bed. With greedy eyes, she goes near him to take in his appearance. Pulling up a chair, she sits down beside him and satisfies herself by gazing at his handsome face—the very face she yearned to see and dreamed about. She knows that this isn't her Jai… Her Jai is somewhere floating around. Perhaps with his family…. where he belongs. But at least she can be somewhat content with looking at his human form. And this way she does not have to confront him.

Reaching her hand out, Bani subtly places it on his hair and fondly runs her fingers through his thick rich hair. Tears swim in her eyes but Bani withholds them. Not wanting to give into her tears like how she had been doing since Jai had given his departing words. She takes his cold hand into hers and presses it against her warm cheek.

"You're going to be okay… You have to be… You can't die…. Your family needs you… I need you…," she finishes with a whisper. …

She didn't know for how long she sat there beside him, but she is startled out of her lost thoughts once she hears her beeper go off. The familiar sense of loss absorbs her as her eyes gaze longingly at him. She places his hand back down beside him and gives it one last squeeze before turning around and leaving the room….

***********************************************************************************

Bani: Sonali, what's the emergency? You paged me?

Bani questions with light query as she approaches her acquaintance, dressed in her white coat with a stethoscope hanging around her neck.

Sonali: Bani, I have strict orders from Halthore sir that you need to leave the hospital. You hadn't signed out yet so I figured you were still here. Come on, let's go. My shift here is done.

Bani: Where?

Sonali: Come on Bani. Didn't you ask me to go out for a cup of coffee? Now I'm free and so are you. Right now is the best time. Besides, by the looks of you it seems you need all the coffee you can get.

***********************************************************************************

He felt strange all of a sudden. He had been sitting down, watching his nephew and niece playing with their baby brother under their father's supervision, until he felt something strange occur. Looking down, he stared down at his hand with scrutiny and wonder. He clenches his hand, making it into a fist, and then unclenches it. Why did he feel as if someone was touching him? He is brought out of his confusing thoughts when he hears Aditya sternly scold his two trouble makers who together stood up on the bed and were beginning to jump. He sighs and a smile tugs on the corners of his lips while watching his family. This is where you belong, he reminds himself. You need to be here with your family. But for some reason, he could not get rid of the image of Bani in his mind no matter how hard he tried to. No matter how hard….

**********************************************************************************

Sonali dropped Bani to her apartment after their coffee outing which surprisingly lasted longer than the two had imagined. Even more surprising, they found that they had a lot in common and got along with one another just great, as friends. When Sonali drove up to her apartment, she startled Bani with a warm hug.

Sonali: I'll see you at the hospital tomorrow. Get some rest, hun.

Bani unknowingly smiled and bid her new friend before turning to go to her apartment. On her way to the elevators, she realized that it was perhaps the first time anyone had ever made her smile or laugh as much since Jai. "Live your life," he had once told her. "Don't make your career your whole world."

"I'm trying Jai…. I'm trying," she replies….

The next day Bani was invited by her older sister for dinner at her house. It was to be just Pia, Aparajit, Rano, the kids, and her. A small, quiet family dinner. One that they haven't had in a long time. She didn't decline like she usually did, surprising her older sister in the process and then causing her to be suspicious.

Pia: Wait… You… You are actually coming?

Her sister expresses her disbelief over the phone. Bani contains a smile at her sister's shock. She really has no life, she sadly muses to herself. She has distanced herself away from everyone, even her own loved ones. With her sister in doubt of her actions, it only proves how anti-social she really has become. She gives a tired sigh. Jai, you were right about everything….

Bani: Yes Pia… I am coming. What time should I be there?

Pia: I…. er… 7 o'clock's okay…. You really are going to come, Bani?

Bani: Pia, must I spell it out to you? Yes I am coming. Why wouldn't I? It's a family dinner… I'm family, aren't I?

Pia: Of course you are. I'm just glad you are finally realizing that. We are family, Bani. We always have been.

Bani: (softly smiles) I know, Pia…. And I'm sorry…. Sorry for missing out on all these years. I'm trying to change that though…. I want to change that.

Pia: (laughs) I can't believe it. Is this really my sister that I am talking to? I have called the right number, haven't I? Dr. Bani Dixit? My workaholic sister who never haves time for everyone, let alone herself?

Bani: (laughs as well) Yes, this is she. But it's not Dr. Bani… It's just plain Bani here. Now, what should I bring?

Pia: Nothing. I've taken care of dinner. All you need to do is bring yourself. Gosh Bani, I can't wait to see you. It will be like old times. No rush, no nothing. We can finally catch up.

Bani: (agrees) Hmm. That sounds good. I can't wait either…. I'll see you in the evening Pia….. Bye.

Hanging up on the line, Bani places her phone back onto its receiver and can't help but smile a little at herself…. at her change. Jai would be proud, she knew it. She sighs and feels a panging inside of her. If she ever wants to move on, then she needs to stop thinking about Jai all of the time…

**********************************************************************************

Bani dressed in a comfortable pair of light jeans and a flattering short sleeved black blouse. She begins in tying up her hair until her hands freeze as familiar words rush back to her….

"…. Why do you always keep your hair up? It is either always in a pony tail or a bun. Ever thought of leaving it down?"

She stares at herself in the mirror for a moment before slowly undoing her hair from its knot. She runs her fingers through her hair, straightening it out, and carelessly allows it to fall on her shoulders. She takes notice that she looks different this way…. she never bothered to realize this before. She really does have her hair up all of the time. Rarely does she leave it down. Bani heaves a sigh and murmurs, "When will you get out of my head?"

"Bani, you look great! Come in!" Pia exclaims in delight on seeing her and gathers her in a warm embraces. Bani, usually detesting a hug from her sister, doesn't mind this one time. She actually misses her sister's ridiculously tight hugs.

Bani: How are you Pia?

Pia: I'm great. Rano's helping in the kitchen. I've got to get Riya and Veer dressed. You want to go ahead and join her there?

Bani: Sure thing.

While Pia runs off toward the stairs to get her kids dressed, Bani walks further into the house and passes by the living room where she spots her brother-in-law sitting down on the couch and reading the newspaper. She surprises him by kissing him on his cheek and greeting him warmly.

Bani: Hi Jiju.

Aparajit: Bani you're actually here. Your sister was in doubts ever since morning when you told her you'd be coming for dinner.

Bani laughs lightly at this and sits down across from him. He smiles at her and notes that she looks different.

Aparajit: You seem to be in a good mood.

He says with query and a raise of a brow. Bani wanted to laugh at this. Her, in a good mood? He doesn't know the most of it.

Bani: (shrugs) I'm having dinner with my family after the longest time. Of course I will be in a good mood.

He eyes her suspiciously, reminding her of Pia's suspicion earlier on in the day. She can't help but smile under his scrutiny.

Bani: Yes, it is me Bani Dixit. Your wife's sister. I haven't been replaced, I promise.

Aparajit: But you are different. I am not used to seeing you like this.

Bani: (smiles) I'm not either…

Aparajit opens his mouth to question her on what she means by this but forgets it and continues to eye her strangely. He flips through his newspaper and says in an assuming tone…

Aparajit: I presume your sister has told you about Pushkar joining us for dinner… with how you are dressed up for the event.

Bani's smile freezes on her lips as shock takes over her. Her eyes grow wide as she stares at her brother-in-law with disbelief.

Bani: You are kidding…

Aparajit: Why would I joke about something like that? Pia invited him yesterday evening when he came to visit.

Bani: (protests) But it's a family dinner.

Aparajit: (raises a brow) You do know that he is my cousin, don't you? That technically does make him family…

Bani becomes at loss of words from this. She hadn't expected Pushkar on coming here. In fact, she hadn't expected on seeing Pushkar any time soon—not since their dinner date that one night. Bani begins to fume to herself, angered that her sister would invite him to dinner. She is intentionally trying to set them up. Her matchmaking games still haven't gone away. She will murder her, she concludes. Forget sisterly love, tonight Pia Dixit is her enemy. She crosses her arms against her chest and angrily stares off in the other direction, waiting for Pia to appear any minute and ready to give her a piece of her mind.

Aparajit: (chuckling) Please do not tell me that you hadn't had a clue that he was coming…

Bani throws him an icy stare and Aparajit gives a low whistle as a response….

Aparajit: Your meddling sister is in for it this time…

Within another moment Pia comes down the stairs with her two children in tow, who rush to their father and sit in his lap. Bani stands up from her seat and follows after her elder sister who beckons for her to join her in the kitchen.

Pia: I've left Rano in there for the last five minutes… Who knows what she has done in there… Let's just hope she hasn't started a fire.

Bani simply glares at her sister and follows her through the door and into the kitchen. Right then she decides to explode, being in safe distance from Aparajit and the kids.

Bani: Pia how could you do this?!

Startled Pia turns around and gives a confused look back at her.

Pia: What have I done Bani?

"Hey Di, when did you get here? Oh, guess what? I made this chocolate cake all by myself and without burning anything!" Rano excitedly announces on seeing her sister enter the kitchen.

Bani: Not now Rano… I'm talking to your nosey sister here.

Pia: Nosey? I'm not nosey.

Bani: Then why did you invite Pushkar?

Pia: Bani, he's your jiju's cousin. He is just as much as a part of this family. It would have looked bad if I didn't invite him.

Bani: You are a liar. You did it intentionally so I would not avoid him anymore.

Pia: Well can you blame me really, Bani? You haven't been taking one single phone call of his since your last date with him. The poor man is pining after you and you do not even give a damn. He is obviously very into you. Bani, he might just be the one. And you are going ahead and wasting away your chances of getting married!

Bani: I will get married when I want to get married Pia! I am tired of your matchmaking games. I am very much capable of finding myself a man who I want to spend the rest of my life with, not you! This is my decision, not yours! You are not my mother so quit behaving like you are… (spits)

Bani huffs in anger and watches how Rano has grown unbelievably quite and how Pia's face grows paler by the second. Watching with anticipation, Bani sees that she has struck a nerve on the mention of their mother. Within seconds Pia bursts into a fit of tears and Rano quickly is by her side for her aid. Guilt immediately takes over her previous anger and Bani watches uncomfortably how her sister's sobs grow. Bani steps in and gathers her sister close in her arms, wanting for her cries to stop in order for her guilt to go away.

Bani: I'm sorry Pia… I didn't mean it… I didn't mean a thing that I said… Please forgive me….

Pia: (sniffling) No… You meant it all…. I am nosey… I am forcing decisions on you… You are right… It's your decision… Not mine… I have no right… And I am nowhere near like being Mama… She wouldn't irritate you as much as I do… (wails)

Bani: Oh Pia… That's not true… Mama would irritate the hell out of me… much more than you do. You get all that matchmaking qualities from her… But you're only trying to do the best for me… I understand that now… I am just being unbelievably mean and insensitive. I'm sorry…. Pia, even though it seems that I don't, I really do love you…. We may fight all of the time and disagree on almost everything, but don't they say that the one we fight with the most we love the most?

Pia, who receives a tissue from Rano, blows her nose and nods solemnly in agreement at her. Her watery eyes begin to twinkle at her.

Bani: I'm sorry that I'm causing you so much stress…. You are right… I'm twenty-seven… soon going to be twenty-eight… and still am not married. I don't blame you for being so worried and trying to set me up… You only mean the best for me.

Pia: Oh I do, Bani, I really do… I want you to be settled down and happy…. Just like how I am happy with the Jeet and the kids. I feel so complete with my life, Bani…. I just want you to experience that too… and not involve your whole life around that damn hospital of yours. That isn't happiness Bani… Real happiness is with having a real life… having friends… family… a husband… kids…. I just want you to see that….

Bani grips onto Pia's hands and smiles understandingly at her.

Bani: I see that now Pia….

Pia: … So you will give Pushkar a fair chance?

Her sister asks her with wide eyes and building sniffles. Bani feels trapped in an unwanted situation. She has already gone through this before. She can never feel what she feels for Jai with Pushkar or with any other man for the matter. But to put her sister at ease she will give her this false satisfaction. She will sit down and explain it all to her one day. Unwillingly Bani nods her head and gives her a small smile. Instantly a bright smile grows on Pia's lips and she startles Bani by attacking her with one of her tight hugs….

Rano: Hey, I want in too. I'm still very much single here as well.

Pia and Bani laugh at this and pull Rano into their embrace as well. Wet tears begin to build in Bani's own eyes as she relishes in the feel of being with her sisters, just like the old days…..

Jai sighs and tilts his head back, staring at the white ceiling while Aditya and Jigyasa stand hovering over his body on the hospital bed, murmuring things to one another. He looks over to them and feels his spirits dampen on them discussing about him, unaware that he is right here with them. He has become terribly lonely the past few days, hating that he can't be seen or acknowledged. He had tried connecting back with his body, finding ways on how he can get back into it so he can put an end to his aimless wandering among the living when they cannot even see him. But all went to vain…. Nothing he did worked. He wonders whether it is now his fate to see him fight for his own life—if he is stuck like this. He is stuck being a spirit that no one can see or hear… He has become nothing…. nothing ever since he left Bani, the only one who could actually acknowledge him.

Again he sighs, this one disheartened rather than out of boredom. He misses her. He misses her like crazy. Never has he ever missed someone before like this in his life. He misses her face, her voice, her fiery attitude, her stubbornness, her silly antics to prove him wrong, her angry blush, but also her worry, her concern, her helpful nature. Most of all he misses the mere essence of her. He is craving for her. He wants her with him. He wishes that they never had to part ways. But he knew it was necessary. He was becoming unnecessarily attached to her. It was safe to distance himself away from her before causing her or himself any upcoming hurt. He wouldn't stand pulling her along with his troubles any longer. This is his problem, always had been from the start. He shouldn't bother her anymore. She doesn't need a spirit to follow her everywhere. She doesn't need him, he reminds himself for the billionth time.

The opening of the door draws his attention and he watches as Meera Khandelwal emerges into the room, wearing her ridiculously four-inch heels to give the much needed additional height to her short frame. For some reason he finds himself despising the image of her. Perhaps he has been with Bani for too long that her prejudice against the woman has rubbed off on him.

Meera: Mr. and Mrs. Bali?

Aditya and Jigyasa turn around on being acknowledged.

Aditya: Yes doctor… what is it? We have been waiting for almost an hour now…

Meera: I am sorry for the wait… It was not intentional, believe me… Please, why don't you two have a seat….

Both husband and wife share a glance at one another at this and follow Meera's request by seating themselves down. Meera sits down across from them and places the file in her hand down on the table before her.

Meera: Mr. and Mrs. Bali… My team and I have been studying and reviewing over this case for over four months now. We have given Mr. Walia all the treatment we possibly could have, anything to get him out of this comma. I have gone through this case almost a thousand times. We've even resorted to consulting specialists on your request. But I am sorry to say… nothing seems to be in our favor. The truth is that Mr. Walia's health is deteriorating by each day….and we are losing reason to believe that he will regain consciousness any time soon… it will take years…. Or perhaps he will never wake up.

The silence in the room grows thick and the much pended tension begins to build. Jai feels anxiety in him start to grow on what Meera is trying to imply. They are losing hope. They are giving up on him. He's going to die….

Jigyasa: (croaks) … But… There is still brain activity, isn't there? I mean… people wake up from these kind of commas all the time, don't they?

Meera: …. Not from any that I have known, no…. Like I said, it seems highly unlikely for Mr. Walia to regain consciousness. He is getting worse and worse by each day and it is becoming more difficult for us to keep him stable or to revive him from his comma.

Aditya: …. Dr. Khandelwal… what are you trying to say? Why do you not tell us clearly?

Meera: (straight to the point) Mr. Bali…. As a professional, I think it would be best for us to take Mr. Walia off of life support. He shows no sign of recovery or improvement since the day he had been admitted… specialists have only given us negative consults… we have tried to the best of our capabilities but nothing seems to be working… His body is rejecting our treatment and not responding to anything we give him…. I am sorry to say this, but this really is the best decision for Mr. Walia and for your family. I think it is time for us to let him go….

Jigyasa breaks out into a fit of sobs and Aditya grows pale on hearing this. Jai flies up from his seat and rushes over to his sister and brother-in-law.

Jai: Don't listen to her! You can't give up on me too! I am here, Jigyasa. I am right here! Don't consent to taking me off life support. I am alive! That's why I'm here, isn't it? There is a chance for me to wake up!

Aditya: (with disbelief) … You… You want us to take him off life support?

Meera: In my medical opinion, yes. That is the best decision. We, however, won't take any terminal action without your approval… I've prepared this paper work… when you decide you can—

Jai: (becoming frantic) Dammit! Adi, yaar, don't do it. Jigyasa, I promise, I'll visit you more often. I'll take the kids out more. I'll marry any girl you want me to, just don't sign the papers. I am right here! You have to believe in me!

Meera extends her hand forward and places it onto Jigyasa's.

Meera: Mrs. Bali… this really is the best for your brother. For how long can we keep him on life support like this?… He has become nothing… He is neither alive nor dead…. Is this what you want your brother to be for the rest of his life? Nothing? … You should give him the peace he deserves… Let him go….

Jigyasa glances up and meets Meera's gaze and reads through her fake sympathy. She removes her hand and glowers at her.

Jigyasa: I liked that Dr. Dixit better than you… I bet she wouldn't make us lose hope like this….

If Meera was shocked, she hid it well and merely seemed unaffected by Jigyasa's words. Jai swells with pride on his sister's words. It's true. If it were Bani, she wouldn't have lost hope… She wouldn't give up on him.

Meera: (turning to Aditya) Please, think about what I said and let me know of your decision. It is not just my medical opinion, it is of the rest of my team and specialists….

Aditya: (gruffly) We will think about it…. Come on, sweetheart… Let's go….

Aditya takes Jigyasa by her hand and leads her out from the room. Meera too leaves after a sigh, leaving behind Jai who is absorbed in a whirlpool of emotions….

Pushkar arrived some thirty minutes later much to Bani's excitement. She sat aloof throughout dinner, hardly speaking to anyone unless spoken to. Pushkar often caught her eye and tried smiling or at least speak with her, but Bani always found an excuse to not to heed any of it. It was only after Pia glared at her hard that Bani reluctantly changed her behavior and became more "friendly" to her brother-in-law's cousin, whom she already had two terrible dates with. It is funny to think how once she had been so infatuated by him and now she can't even bear the sight of Pushkar Shukla. As she takes a closer look at him, to her amusement, Bani can see what Jai had always seen in him…. a monkey. A smile begins to tug at her lips and before she knows it, she explodes into a fit of giggles….

Everyone around the table stare at her in confusion, stopping midway into their conversations. Aparajit is the first to question his sister-in-law's hysterical giggles which she unsuccessfully tries to stop.

Aparajit: Bani, you alright?

He asks in an amused tone, clearly finding her giggles interesting as it is unlikely of her to laugh so much out of the bloom. That is something his other sister-in-law would do. Bani places her hand over her mouth in an effort to stifle her laughter but again fails. She simply shakes her head at her family and waves her hand at them as to brush a matter off.

Bani: No, it's—it's nothing… (mutters between giggles) Really…. I'm fine…. Go on…

Pia places her utensils down and shares a curious glance with her husband and sister. Pushkar simply looks intrigued about the whole thing.

Pia: There has to be something to have caused you to laugh like this…. What is it? What's so funny?

Bani: (again shaking her head) Nothing Pia… It's just that… (giggles again) I remembered a joke my friend had said… That's all….

Rano: (cheerful) Oooh, a joke? Why don't you share it with us Di? I'd like to hear it….

The smile on Bani's face lingers, causing her whole face to glow which Pia notes to her interest.

Bani: …. It's an inside joke between two friends, Rano… It wouldn't make sense to you if I tell you…. I'm sorry for the interruption… Jiju, you were saying?

Bani: Dinner was great Pia. Thanks for having me….

Bani warmly says while her sister engulfs her in a farewell hug. Pia gives her an admonishing look.

Pia: Don't be silly. You're my sister. And the last I checked, that means you are a part of my family….

Bani: Still…. I'm actually glad I came… I had fun.

She uneasily adds, knowing that it was truthful to an extent but not necessarily completely true. She enjoyed spending time with her family for an actual event after ages without any rush. But the mere presence of Pushkar taunted her throughout it and prevented her from behaving herself around her family. She still feels guilty for her actions on their last date….

Pia: We're glad you came too, that also without having to leave early for once…. Have your hours become more relaxed?

She asks with query, wondering why it is that her sister had managed to take out time for dinner when before she never could and also managed to stay throughout the whole family event? Her hours must have lessened or at least changed, she muses.

Bani: No…. But I have…. (adding a slow smile) I'll call you tomorrow. Bye Pia….

Pia: Wait, Bani…. I have an idea…. Pushkar….(she beckons)

Pushkar, who stands a couple of feet away from them, chatting animatedly with Aparajit while pulling his coat on, turns around on being called.

Pushkar: Yes Bhabhi?

Pia: You wouldn't mind dropping off my sister, would you? She's come by the bus… She doesn't own a car since she lives so close to the hospital…. I don't really want for her to go alone so late at night… I get worried about her…

Bani stares shell-shocked as this happens and becomes dismayed when she sees Pushkar grin and nod his head understandingly at her sister.

Pushkar: Of course not Bhabhi… In fact, I'd love to drop Bani off…. You don't mind, do you Bani?

Bani shares a look with her sister, who encourages her silently with gleaming eyes and holds in a groan for being put in this unwanted predicament. She plasters a smile and softly nods her head.

Bani: .. Of-of course not…

His grin grows wider and he reaches for his keys from his pocket.

Puskar: Alright then, let's get going.

He announces and walks toward her near the front door. He bids last minute farewells to everyone else while Bani does the same. Right before stepping out from her sister's house, Pia wraps Bani into one more hug and whispers hopefully in her ear, "He's a good guy…. Give him a shot…. I do want to hear wedding bells soon, you know." Despite herself, Bani blushes at her sister's eagerness and gives her one of her usual glares before leaving alongside with Pushkar who smiles broadly at her while leading her to his car…

Pushkar: This is it?

He questions on arriving at Bani's apartment building. On seeing Bani nod her head in affirmative, Pushkar parks alongside the sidewalk with his engine running. Bani begins in unbuckling her seat belt and gives him a forced tiny smile.

Bani: Thank you for the ride home Pushkar.

Pushkar: For you, anytime…. (replies sweetly)

She gives him a tentative smile and slowly opens her car door before throwing him a last look.

Bani: Goodnight…

Pushkar: … Won't you call me up for coffee?

He asks rather hastily once she places one of her legs outside of his car, ready to hoist herself up from her seat. Turning around on this and looking startled, Bani stares into his hopeful looking face. She grows hesitant on this request, but not wanting to be seen rude agrees unwillingly. Soon enough within the next couple of minutes, Bani leads him to her apartment door. She unlocks the locks to her door and pushes it open once doing so and receives the same gush of loneliness on walking into her dim home which once was adorned by the presence of a man thriving with life…

Her gloomy eyes take in the appearance of her dim looking apartment until she sees the lights switch on, snapping her out of lost thoughts. She looks behind her and sees Pushkar removing his fingers away from the light switch and pull of his coat only to hang it on the coat rack beside the door.

Pushkar: You have a lovely apartment Bani….

He comments sincerely and Bani simply gives him a small smile as a response.

Bani: Please come in…

She says as a good host and leads him further into her apartment, taking him to the living room where she seats him on one of the couches while she heads off to the kitchen to make them a nice batch of coffee. She makes light conversation with Pushkar in between the coffee being made and as she opens her cupboards to look for mugs, her voice trails off as she catches the sight of a captivating item…

Bani takes it into her hands and examines it with emotions stirring inside of her. Her eyes become misty as she reads the words across the familiar white coffee mug…. "The Greatest Uncle in the World…" As she turns it around, she sees the inscription written neatly on the back, "Jai Mama…. "

Pushkar: Bani?

Blinking away her forming tears, Bani turns around on being called for and sees Pushkar hesitantly enter her kitchen with a loop-sided grin.

Pushkar: … I thought I'd come and help you… Coffee ready?

Bani: (returning the smile) Yes….

She replies politely and with Pushkar standing by her side, she begins in pouring the coffee into two sets of mugs, one being of special value to her. She wraps her hands around it and sips contently out from it as she joins Pushkar in walking back to the living room where they sit and involve their selves into more light conversation, which Pushkar initiates mostly. It was some ten-fifteen minutes into their coffee that Pushkar grew silent and silently gazed at Bani as she unwarily took a sip out of her now favorite mug. It wasn't until she placed the mug down against her lap and looked to him that she realized his staring. Becoming uncomfortable under his eyes, Bani shifts a little in her seat and gives him a curious look.

Bani: What is it Pushkar? …. Is something wrong?

She asks slowly with a soft tone and watches Pushkar gently shake his head. He places his own cup down onto the table and surprises her by taking her mug out of her hands and placing it next to his. He causes feared anticipation to build inside of her as he positions himself to look straight at her and takes her cold hands into his own. She looks down at their joined hands and wears a look of uncertainty and dread on seeing what Pushkar's intentions are.

Pushkar: Bani… I…. I really like you…. You know that, right?

She doesn't respond nor does she show any indication to give him his answer, only simply stares at him with her wide eyes. His thumbs begin to slowly caress her hands.

Pushkar: I don't know what it is… but it seems like you are afraid of something… I want to form a relationship with you….. get closer to you… but it seems that you only push me away…. It doesn't make sense to me Bani….

Highly uncomfortable with his thumbs drawing circles on the back of her hands, Bani slides her hands out and fidgets to herself.

Bani: … I feel nervous Pushkar…

She confesses to him softly. She wanted to add that she didn't feel comfortable with any of this but found herself cut off as he moves closer and cups the side of her face, steering her to look at him.

Pushkar: Don't be…. To be honest, I'm a little nervous too…. But I know that I really like you and want to be with you…

Bani stares on at him, completely speechless and unable to muster a simple word as a reply to what he has said. Her senses become alert as she sees him lean in closer but is unable to move to avoid this as she is frozen by his intent eye lock on her. Before she can even realize what it is happening, she feels his lips meet with hers and kiss them tenderly…..

Once she feels his lips withdraw away a couple of moments later, relief swarms inside of her that it is over, but it is short lived as he caresses her face and then leans in once more to kiss her pink lips.

Tears begin to dwell in her eyes and her throat chokes up from building emotions inside of her. She feels the need to cry—to cry from the realization that she doesn't want to kiss him or anyone else for the matter… but in fact the only man she wishes to be this intimate with is her Jai, who has left her. She can't possibly ever love Pushkar, not when she has given her heart away to someone else—someone else who doesn't need her anymore. Her heart aches for Jai, to see him again, to hear his voice again, to have him with her again, just to be with him. Not able to contain her hurt any longer, the hot tears stream down her face and Bani surprises herself and Pushkar as she breaks down into heavy sobs. Startled, Pushkar tears his lips away and moves back to examine her teary face with a perplexed expression on his face.

Pushkar: B-Bani? … What's wrong? Why are you crying?

He receives only more miserable, woeful sobs and a few sniffles here and there. It isn't until a few minutes until she has calmed down somewhat that she mumbles a response.

Bani: I-I'm so … so sorry Pushkar…. I… (breaking into tears)

Pushkar: (worried) Bani, what is it? Is it something that I did? Please tell me…. If you don't tell me, how can I help you?

She wipes her tears with the back of her hand and stares up at him with her red swollen eyes after giving a soft sniffle.

Bani: …… It's…. It's Jai….

She finally whispers and more tears slide down her fair cheeks. Pushkar seems dumbstruck on hearing her answer as well as confused.

Pushkar: You mean your cousin Jai?

Bani nods hastily in acknowledgement and blows her nose on the handkerchief he had handed her. A grim look builds on Pushkar's face as well as slight irritation.

Pushkar: What is it this time? Has he said anything else to you?

Bani shakes her head in disagreement.

Bani: No… It's just that … he… he….. doesn't … want to see me anymore…

She confesses in a depressed tone and a new set of tears make a presence in her already watery eyes.

Pushkar: What do you mean he doesn't want to see you anymore? You two get in a fight?

Bani shakes her head.

Pushkar: Any disagreement about something?

Again Bani shakes her head.

Pushkar: You did anything wrong?

Once more Bani shakes her head.

Pushkar: He's mad at you about something?

Bani doesn't surprise Pushkar when she shakes her head vigorously once again. Pushkar gives a frustrated sigh and runs his hand through his rurally hair.

Pushkar: He just doesn't want to see you?

He grumbles, hating to even talk about her cousin when he wishes to speak about them and a possible relationship. He seems unsure of what to do when she nods her head in agreement and sheds more sorrowful tears.

Bani: I'm sorry… that I am dumping this on you…. I…. I just can't help it….

Pushkar: (politely) No…. I understand… It's hard on you….

Bani dabs her red eyes with the cloth and blows her running nose with it as well. She folds it neatly and hesitantly hands it over to him, but he kindly rejects it and tells her she can keep it. She dejectedly places it onto the table and takes a deep breath into her in hopes to ease herself a bit.

Pushkar: …. (begins uncertainly) Bani… This may seem a bit odd to say…. And I hope you don't mind me saying it…. But it seems…. Well at least to me…. that ….. you are in love with your cousin…. Your behavior…. The way you keep mentioning him…. and the way you mention him… obviously it shows how close you two are…. But I can't help but read more into it… because it feels as if there is more to it…. I'm sorry, it doesn't sound right, I know… especially since this is your cousin…. But it is just what I feel…. You…. you don't love him, do you? Not in that way at least….

Bani remains quiet, not knowing how to answer him, and only stares at him with blank eyes until she shifts her gaze to look anywhere but at him. On changing her gaze, her eyes land on the figure standing gallantly before her and her heart hammers fast as well as her insides turn into knots as she takes in the sight. Shocked, she stands up from her seat and onto her feet in utter disbelief and stares wide at the man across from her.

Bani: (whispers) Jai….

Pushkar: Jai?

Startled, Bani looks to her side at a puzzled Pushkar and then back at Jai, who stands directly across from her—his intense gray eyes taking her all in. With blushed cheeks Bani rubs at her wet eyes and tries to fix her appearance while conscious of Jai's eyes on her.

Jai: …. He made you cry.

He says as a statement, causing Bani to stand still and note the building anger in his dark, glowering look. She becomes uncertain of what to say or what to do and simply stands there, clueless.

Pushkar: Bani, you alright?

Pushkar questions while rising from his seat as well and looking at Bani with concern. He is very much unaware of the spirit who glares hard at him with developing despise.

Jai: I am going to get rid of your monkey once and for all—he's going to suffer an unfortunate death.

Jai mutters dangerously with his gleaming dark eyes and Bani can tell he means business from the seriousness in his booming voice. She blinks away the last of her tears and looks frighteningly over to Pushkar, worried of what Jai will do (despite knowing that he can't really harm him). She decides its best that she gets Pushkar out of here to avoid any further troubles.

Bani: (rambles) I… I…. I need to speak with him…. you know… to fix things…. I'm sorry Pushkar… But I'm going to need for you to leave…. I'm really sorry…. Thank you for everything.

Jai: He's damn lucky that I can't touch him, I'll tell you that much…

He informs her with a clenched jaw and rolled fists after realizing that he can't even touch him once his hand passes through him. Jai continues to glower in Pushkar's direction, hoping that despite not being able to thrash him personally that he gets a sense of hostility and threat to his safety. Pushkar is taken aback by her abrupt request and continues to look grim but obliges nonetheless.

Pushkar: … No problem…. I'll see you around… Bye.

He grumbles while reaching for his keys and grabbing his coat on his way out. Bani feels relief hit her once she hears her apartment door close shut and her eyes linger over to the tall figure before her. Fresh tears spring in her eyes as a smile begins to tug on the corners of her mouth.

Bani: You… You came back?

She asks with disbelief, wondering what it is that has caused him to come back when he clearly had said that they should part ways. The previous look on Jai's face remains as his jaw tightens.

Jai: (coldly) What was he doing here?

He questions instead, not bothering to give her the answer she wants. Bani, who usually would take offense to a question like this, simply smiles radiantly at him through her tears—to preoccupied with joy and exhilaration on seeing him here to pay notice to his obvious jealousy.

Bani: (answers with disinterest) He came to give me a ride home….. But what are you doing here? I thought you said you wanted to be alone….

She states as a matter of fact, staring deep into his eyes for the answers to her growing questions. The grim on Jai stays intact, seeming unpleased with her unsatisfactory answer.

Jai: I never said I want to be alone… Where are you getting that from? –And why was he giving you a ride home? (persists)

Bani steps forward, closing in on the space between them, and stares up at his tall height—meeting him eye to eye with her heart pacing fast.

Bani: I had dinner at Pia's and he was there. He'd offered to take me home… (again replying in the same disinterested tone) ….. You said yourself that we need to part ways… Isn't that implying that you want to be alone? … That you don't want me around?

An incredulous look crosses Jai's face, overtaking the look of displeasure that adorned his features just seconds before. He tilts his head to the side a little while gazing at her with amused eyes.

Jai: When did I ever say I don't want you around? ….

Bani: (haste to answer him) At the hospital….

A humorous smile plays on his lips and he gives a soft chuckle—his earlier anger now vanishing completely.

Jai: Silly woman…. You read too much into what I had said…. Yes, I said we need to part ways…. But never did I say that I personally didn't want you around… In fact if I had it my way I wouldn't even want-- …. (voice trails off, hesitant for a moment, then sighs) I never said I didn't want you around.

He finishes to confirm this fact. Bani feels a surge of hope fill inside of her that overtakes her previous fears and doubts. Instead of asking him more to clear the rest of her doubts, Bani chooses to ask the most important question to her at the moment…

Bani: What are you doing back here? (breathless)

She watches him rub the back of his neck with his hand and give her an adorably confused look on his face while he sheepishly smiles at her.

Jai: …. I don't know really. For some reason…. I had a strange feeling that you needed me or something…. So I came….

Bani tries hard not to break out into another set of tears, yet this time of pure happiness and relief. If Jai really didn't want anything to do with her, he wouldn't have come back to see her—wouldn't have cared. But he does… He does care about her… He does want her around—just as much as she wants him around. He doesn't want to part ways just as she doesn't want to either…

Jai: Did you?

Rattled out of her swarming thoughts, Bani looks on at a cautious seeming Jai.

Bani: (innocently) Did I what?

Jai: ….. Need me?

Seeing his unsure face, all Bani wants to do at the moment is go into his arms, tell him how much she missed him, how much she loves him—but remains where she is and answers softly…

Bani: Yes…

Jai silently watches her take another step closer, never tearing her eyes off him, and gaze up at his face. He looks on at this, curious of what she is about to do. She reaches out her hand and slowly places the tips of her fingers along the outline of his face, ignoring how his eyes are closely following her every move.

Bani: Jai…. please don't leave again.

She says quietly. However, he can read much more into her words than was intended to. She missed him just as much as he missed her. What is it that has made him feel so incomplete without her? What is it that has made it so hard for them to part ways? So hard to stay away?.... His hand moves on its own accord and his fingers trace along her long tresses, wishing that he could feel the silkiness of her long beautiful hair….

Jai: … This is where our journey has to end, Bani….I've told you that… (he says with sorrow)

Bani: …. You can't still mean that….. It doesn't have too….

She accuses softly while glancing up to meet his stormy eyes. His face begins to tense as he looks at her gravely.

Jai: …. They're going to take me off life support, Bani…. I'm dying…..

I'm hoping that there will be more comments this time compared to the last response i got. 😔

Hkaurk22 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Dil-- I will read all and come back!! Pakka promise :)

So I was up till about 1am last night reading this.. But I decided to complete my comment this morning. I had read the first part, but somehow was kind of busy with completing Rain, Love.. that I had a hard time keeping up.

But last night I decided I would sit down and read and let me tell you. I am SO happy I read this. I was nearly in tears when I saw the heartache both Bani and Jai are going through .. I feel so bad for Jai- he cant touch anyone, but he touched Bani's heart.. and now they can not live without each other... And I felt even worse when his family was there. He missesthem SO much, and he wasnt even their for baby Jai's birth.. I just wanted to reach out and give hima hug.. but I loved their banter.. with JW popping in on lunch, and dinner and even the birthday party! It was hilarious!!!

Yet at the same time, heartwrenching.. :( Please dont kill JW :( I hate Meera. shes stupid. She deserves one tight thappar.. I hope Bani gets the case and helps JW recover... please please please please please continue soon!!!!!

I cant wait!
Edited by Hkaurk22 - 15 years ago
jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
hey dil
that was a good update
wow bani trying to work on jais words
and ghosh i hate this meera
how can she decide whetehr jai has to be kept on life support or not
she is a b****h.
hope bani now saves jai
and ghosh that pushakar drama was funny
plzzzzzzzzzzzz cont soon
nishiraju thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
it was sooooooo emotional 😭 dear...........pls dont make him die.waiting for next update
swathi thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
WOnderful again ! i was waiting for you to update this one. Bani's realization of her love for Jai was handled wonderfully. I especially liked the scene where Bani meets Jai in the hospital and Jai realizes it as well.

great going !

Swathi
kamy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
a beautiful update dil worth the wait and again please update sooooooooon.. its a warning😡
love
kamy