hi when are you going to post we are desperately waiting can you please post it
ragamthalam0 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
where are u ? pls update soon , hope u doing gud
nishiraju thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hey...........pls update sooooooooooon ............still waiting........
Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I'm so sorry guys, I know I've been keeping you all waiting for a month now for the update. I just lost the mood to write it for some time but i promise i will start on the next update and post it hopefully very soon. Please bear with me.

~ Dil

Edited by Indian_Goddess - 15 years ago
suwas thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Great to know you will be updating soon. Please Update your other ff too ? along came jai i think.
Person23 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
good 2 knwo dat u can update soon enough
just take ur time :)
bkeero thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I was starting to think that maybe this was the end of the road for this ff. I am so glad and excited to that you will continue soon. I have watched the movie with Reese and loved it and know the ending but it's always nice to see the desi touch to it.

Looking forward to reading the next update.
sweet_gurl61 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Glad to hear that you'll be updating soon. I sometimes do that. I slip into a mood where I don't feel like writing at all. Looking forward to your update.

Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
A month of waiting wasn't so bad, was it? 😉😆 Okay enough of my torture, here is the next part. So sorry for the long wait on this one. I can't really give you guys good enough excuses. I was just simply lazy and lacked inspiration for a little while. I'm not really happy with the outcome of my update, but hopefully it'll be adequate enough. This was as much as I could write for now. I promise I'll try not to keep you guys waiting for another month. Again, really sorry.

Chapter 9:

"You are kidding me… This is your great idea?" Bani questions with disbelief as she follows after him through passing the door and entering into the thriving atmosphere of the bar, a crowd cheer boisterously in front of the television and others sip on their drinks immersed in fervent conversation. She eyes Jai squarely who only looks back at her, unaffected.

Jai: Shall we take a detour back to Pushkar's apartment then?

He subtly mocks her in his dry voice and watches as a color of pink fuses into her cheeks while she shakes her head at him in disapproval.

Bani: No, this is just great. (squeaks)

His eyes glint as he smirks at her embarrassment and proceeds to lead her into the filled-in bar. Bani has to squeeze in through people to mange to get to the bar where Jai walks to.

Bani: And what do you expect me to do here?

She asks as she joins him, not worrying of whether anyone will hear her since it is already impossibly loud and no one is giving her any notice. Jai turns to look at her and gives a slow grin.

Jai: Get drunk obviously. Isn't that what bars are for?

Bani gives him a bewildered look in return.

Bani: (stammers) I-I don't drink…. I've never drank…

Jai eyes her crossly.

Jai: You've never drunk a single drink before in your life?

Bani: No…

Jai: (eyes narrowing) Not even a sip?

Bani: Of course not. (hastily) It's just toxins.

Jai: (raises a brow) … Bani….

Bani: What?

He only gives her a prodding look and within a couple of moments she sighs exasperatedly and caves with flushed cheeks.

Bani: Alright, it was just once—with Pia. I failed my entrance exams and was feeling really upset, she took me out for drinks to ease me up.

Jai: And?

Bani: It was both one of the lousiest and best times of my life. Lousy because of the hangover afterwards and best well…. I guess because for once I didn't feel the need to worry about something and could just live in the moment. (confesses)

His grin returns yet grows wider than before.

Jai: Well get ready to experience another lousy-best time, because I intend for you to live in the moment. You, doc, are going to loosen up and enjoy tonight.

Bani: By myself?

Jai: I'm here, aren't I?

Bani: Some fine drinking companion you make, you can't even consume any of it…. Besides, I don't want to drink. Like I said before, it's just all toxins. (grumbles)

Jai: And it's all the toxins that you need. No matter what you say, you're not getting out of this, doc. Forget about your dreams and job and the responsibilities that come with it for one night. For this moment, just think of yourself. Live the moment to the fullest. Get rid of Dr. Bani Dixit and become into Bani, just for this one night…. And you will see how much of a wonderful change it really is.

Meeting his powerful gray eyes, Bani absorbs in his words slowly and takes them to serious consideration. Has she really allowed for her career to consume her in this way? Has she really let it become a barrier in between living her life? Even if she doesn't want to admit it, he is right. She may be a doctor, but she does not have to be Dr. Bani Dixit all the time. She can be only Bani… she wants to be just Bani. Slowly the corners of her mouth twitch and she gives an awaiting Jai a sly look…

Bani: Hit me with all you've got…

***********************************************************************************

The sunrays coming through the curtains of her window greet her as well as her blaring alarm o'clock that rings as she wakens from her deep slumber. Hitting the clock, she successfully ends the annoying sound and woozily sits up in bed after a few moments, pressing a hand against her throbbing forehead. Her eyes ache and a killing headache is soaring through her head. She moans from the pain but becomes silenced seconds later as she hears a starling voice beside her.

"Beautiful morning, isn't it?" Peering through her aching eyes, Bani regains her vision after a moment and finally realizes the presence of Jai next to her, grinning and looking fresh for the new day. She rubs her eyes and then her temples.

Bani: What happened to me?

She asks tiredly and as well as with dread, fearing of what she could have done during a state of intoxication.

Jai: You don't remember?

Bani shakes her head.

Bani: Just about going to the bar, but nothing else….

Jai: You had quite an adventure last night….

Bani: (groans) Oh, no. What did I do?

She questions hurriedly as she sees a laughing smile appear on his handsome face. Jai chuckles softly.

Jai: Don't worry, it's not as bad as you think. It was very innocent stuff really, but stuff I am sure you wouldn't do when sober.

Bani: Like what?

She prods, eyeing him cautiously in the meanwhile.

Jai: …. Like dancing, …. doing karaoke, …. drunk dialing your sister, …. and hitting on the bartender.

He answers with a growing amused smile on his lips. Bani stares at him stunned. Exactly as he had said, she would have never even thought of doing any of those things while being perfectly conscious.

Bani: (squeaks) What?

Jai: (grins wider) I told you, just innocent stuff….

Bani: Jai, how could you let me do all of that? Especially karaoke in front of all those people?

She demands, feeling deeply embarrassed on what those people in the bar must have thought about her and for her other actions. God knows how she must have been while dancing and singing—perhaps horrible and managed to make an utter fool out of herself. Especially in front of that bartender whom she wasn't even attracted too to begin with. And gosh, who had she called? Rano or Pia? Rano would be alright, but Pia—not so good.

Jai: You were at the point of no return, sweetheart. Nothing I said could stop you. But it was all very entertaining. I didn't want to miss seeing all that.

He answers with a devilish smile and Bani glares hard at him.

Bani: You are evil.

She says while he laughs heartily at her red face. In between his laughter she sinks her head into her palms, burying her face deep within them.

Bani: (muffled) I must have made a fool out of myself….

Jai: A fool, yes indeed. But a cute fool. People adored you. They especially loved your singing.

Bani: (lifting her head) You are only saying that to make me feel better.

Jai: (short laugh) No, really. I mean it. You were good at the karaoke—and the dancing. You even wooed the bartender with all that bad attempt of flirting of yours. I'd say the only real downside of it all was when you drunk dialed Pia and your brother-in-law at one in the morning. They weren't really pleased with you when they saw you.

Just her luck! It had to be Pia, it just had to. What must her and her jiju now be thinking of her?

Bani: (hastily) What do you mean when they saw me?

She asks with quick panic as his last words hit her a second later.

Jai: Well they had to come and get you, didn't they? They wouldn't trust you to go home all alone… They came around 1:30 and took you straight to the apartment. Pia's husband had to throw you over his shoulders because you refused to go with them. (chuckling once again) Like I said, it was all very entertaining…. You really don't remember it all?

Bani breathes out and holds her head between her hands, trying to think past her hangover. She closes her eyes to focus and slowly the events of last night appear in her mind in pieces. Yes, she could recollect what had happened last night, everything except to the point of drunk dialing her sister and brother-in-law. And now that she is reminiscing it all, surprisingly, she has no regrets. Mainly because…. well… she wasn't Dr. Bani Dixit for that one night. She was able to loosen up and be Bani. Just Bani. A plain ordinary person. Sure she behaved as a total goof, but she had fun. Yes, deep down inside—she really did have fun doing all those things. A soft smile begins to appear on her lips and she looks up to meet Jai's gaze who now looks at her with building query. She then surprises him and herself by bursting out into a fit of giggles. Then a smile grows on Jai's face.

Jai: I see that you remember…

***********************************************************************************

She fixes her appearance in the mirror and ignores the looks of disapproval that Jai sends her through it. He leans against the doorway of her bathroom with crossed arms and then straightens his posture while sighing in a frustrated manner.

Jai: Come on Bani, the man is not going to care how you look like.

Bani: Why? Are you saying your best friend is gay?

Jai: No, he is very much straight. But he is much more worse than gay—he is engaged. About to be a married man. He is not going to give you or any other woman another look.

Bani: Well I've got to look decent at least, don't I? I've got to give him a good vibe of being a good person if you expect to get any information about yourself from him.

She replies while rummaging her hand through her silk hair and wondering what to do with it. After another thought, she decides to tie it up in a simple ponytail. When she turns around, ready to leave, she faces scrutinizing from Jai.

Bani: (innocently) What?

Jai: …. Why do you always keep your hair up? It is either always in a pony tail or a bun. Ever thought of leaving it down?

Bani: (explains) It just ends up getting in the way. Why does it matter?

Jai opens his mouth to respond but on another thought closes it and just shakes his head.

Jai: Just forget it. Let's go. He's probably leaving the caf after eating the lunch he is supposed to be sharing with you by now since you took so long…. (giving her a look)

She spots him after Jai points him out to her, sitting near the windows of the caf and talking feverishly on his cell phone. Bani takes in the appearance of Tarun Sablok, successful lawyer and also Jai Walia's partner.

Bani: Wow, you failed to tell me that your friend is cute.

She remarks while taking a closer look at the classy looking lawyer. Jai gives her disapproving look at this comment of hers.

Jai: (dryly) Yes, because I would think he is cute. And you are not here to ogle at the man, doc. We are strictly here for serious business.

Bani throws him an annoyed look just before approaching the table and drawing Tarun Sablok's attention just after he finishes his phone call. He rises from his chair and gives her a refined look.

Tarun: Miss Dixit?

Bani: You may call me Bani, Mr. Sablok. It's nice to meet you.

She greets him with a warm, friendly smile while extending her hand forward for a handshake, which he takes.

Tarun: Likewise. And you may call Tarun. Shall we sit?

They sit down simultaneously at the table, settling themselves in. Jai sits down on one of the available chairs at their table and looks at his friend with appreciation.

Jai: God it feels as if it has been forever since I have seen you, man.

But of course his best friend could not hear him. Tarun gives her a small, confused smile.

Tarun: I feel ridiculous for even asking this question, but do I know you? I do not recognize you. When I found out from my P.A that you wished to see me, I was surprised because from what I know—I do not know a Bani Dixit.

Bani temporarily switches her gaze to Jai who only encourages her on with a short nod.

Bani: You are right Tarun. You do not know me, but I know you and have wanted to see you for a couple of days now but was informed that you were temporarily out of reach.

Tarun: Yes, I was out of the country for some time. I had gone to Canada to visit my mother. What is it that you wished to see me about? Is there anything I can do for you? As in provide you with my service?

A small smile reaches Bani's lips as she shakes her head.

Bani: No, I am not in any need for a lawyer. I do happen to need your service in something else though.

Tarun gives her an intrigued look and after a moment she continues on while leaning in towards the table.

Bani: I was told that you hold information of the whereabouts about Jai Walia and know more about the matter than anyone else at his workplace.

Bani watches as Tarun is slightly taken aback on hearing this, but regains his composure and takes in her words carefully.

Tarun: May I ask why you wish to know about Jai Walia?

Bani: Jai is a very dear friend of mine, Tarun. We both went to high school together and university. After that, though, we parted ways because of our different picks of career choice. We have a long friendship and I have never forgotten about him. I moved to Delhi but I am recently back in Mumbai for some time, visiting old friends and family relatives. I had thought of paying Jai a visit at his workplace, knowing I would find him there, but was told he hasn't been working for four months now. No other information would be given to me. I've come all this way to come and meet my best friend but no one will tell me where he is. (ending softly, with a hint of hurt lingering in her voice)

Jai watches this act of her, clearly amazed and wonders whether Tarun will be convinced and fall into this lie of theirs.

Jai: You know, you might be worthy of an Oscar after all, doc.

Tarun, though, examines her carefully and doesn't speak for a long silent moment until he straightens his posture in his chair and eyes her closely.

Tarun: How come I have never heard of you before? If you are one of Jai's best friends, surely he would have mentioned it. But I haven't heard of you even once.

Jai had told her before that Tarun will be a tough person to get through. But it's alright, she has come prepared for all of his questions.

Bani: It's been awhile since we have met, Tarun. As you haven't heard of me, I haven't heard of you either. I was told at the office that you are Jai's partner as well as his best friend. Tell me, how long have you known Jai?

Tarun: I went to law school with him and have been friends with him since.

Bani: (soft smile) We both have been friends with Jai at different times, so of course we would never cross paths with one other. It's been so long since Jai and I have last seen each other that I am not surprised that he wouldn't mention me.

Jai: Good Bani. You've got him there.

Tarun leans back onto the back of his chair and subtly concedes to this point of hers. But he then rubs the bottom of his chin and his earlier query returns.

Tarun: But why have you come to see me? Why not his younger sister, Jigyasa? Surely you would go to her first. She would at least recognize you and directly take you to Jai.

Stunned with this new piece of news, Bani is taken aback as she hadn't planned ahead for something like this. She hadn't bothered to think whether Jai would have any siblings. She glances over to him, seeking guidance of what to do, but it seems that even Jai didn't give a thought of whether he was somebody's brother as she sees a deep look form his face. He frowns while trying to recollect this piece of information. Knowing that she is alone on this one, she licks her lips to give her brief time to think of something.

Bani: Well I am assuming that Jigyasa has gotten married by now, living somewhere else if not here in Mumbai since I did not find any information about where she lives when I searched for her with her maiden name. I did find Jai, though. But like I said, I found out that he hasn't been working at the office for four months now and I even wasn't able to find him at the apartment. No one is willing to tell me anything if they do know something. Which is why I have come to you.

She sees his query die down and again concede to this other point of hers. She lets out a discreet sigh of relief, surprised and proud of herself for building this lie so quickly. From the corner of her eye, she sees Jai's eyes slowly spark and a soft look grow on his face.

Jai: Jigs… How could I have forgotten her…. my own sister.

He speaks quietly to himself, shocked that he could forget his own family and loved one—his own blood, his baby sister. She wished to comfort him at that moment, but was intervened by Tarun who speaks once again after another silent moment.

Tarun: I am sorry Bani. I am not usually this difficult, especially when it comes to helping people. I just don't wish to give out any information to any one person when regarding Jai. It's a very personal matter, you see. I just had to make for certain that you were telling the truth.

Bani: I understand…. But what is the reason for you to be so reserved about saying anything about Jai? You say that it is personal…. I… I hope that nothing is too serious. Jai is fine, isn't he?

She asks with concern to appear as a genuine old friend of Jai's—to keep to the act—but also with honesty as she does want to know about Jai. Tarun gives a tired sigh, seeming worn down and depressed about the approaching topic. His eyes sadden miserably and a fear begins to build in both Bani and Jai, who anticipate for his next words.

Tarun: Bani…. The reason why you haven't been able to find Jai is because he really isn't available. He hasn't been for four long months now.

Bani: What do you mean by that he isn't available?...

She watches intently as he looks down at his large hands and fiddle with his fingers, in the meanwhile, growing ominously quiet. It isn't until he takes a breath into him that he begins…

Tarun: (slowly) ….. Four months ago, the beginning of December and on a Friday, Jai met with an accident when driving to his sister's late at night. It was a horrible and severe accident. His car was wrecked and damaged so severely that it was unable of any repair. It's said that his car flipped over many times before it finally rested upside down on the road. The windows were crashed and the car was smashed. The paramedics that came in the emergency ambulance found Jai stuck between the steering wheel and his seat and hanging upside down with the car. He was crushed between the two and it took them some time to get him out. He suffered many physical injuries and there was worry of any internal bleeding. He fell unconscious when they got to him. They took him to the hospital right away on the ambulance…..

He pauses for a moment, trying to recollect himself and at the same time creating suspense in both Jai and Bani who are captured by his words. Again the similar deep look returns on Jai's face as he tries to remember this big incident in his life….

Bani: …. What…. What happened then? …. Was he alright?

She asks nervously, both not wanting to know and wanting to know what became of Jai. Bad thoughts roam in her mind… Something inside of her drops as she sees Tarun gravely shake his head negatively…

Tarun: …. During the drive to the hospital, his heart rate was dropping dangerously and they had to revive him by shocks in order to save him. On arriving the hospital they quickly admitted him and put him into immediate surgery. It was when he was in the operation room that he…

Fear grips Bani's heart tight. She dreads hearing his next words but needs to hear them, needs to know what happened to him. If he has died, then he is an actual ghost…

Bani: (nervously) … When he?

Sadness presides all over on Tarun's face and when he meets her eyes with his own dim ones, he says in a soft ailing tone….

Tarun: ….When he slipped into a coma… He has been in coma since… and the doctors are saying that there is a high chance he may never wake up….

Bani's eyes widen with surprise on hearing this and turns to look at Jai who has become pale—paler than he usually is, as white as a sheet. Slowly his own eyes connect with hers and he says in a chocked voice….

Jai: … I remember… I remember it all…. Everything.

She didn't know why but at that very moment, tears began to prickle her eyes on seeing his state. At least if he were dead he would have accepted it. But he is in a coma, still living and his spirit is here roaming around…. He is going close to the claws of death. And this very thought, terrifies and devastates her. He is dying…. Her Jai is dying…. She will probably never see him.

She feels a comforting squeeze on her hand and looks up through her blurry vision and at a sympathetic looking Tarun.

Tarun: I know this must be hard for you to hear. … It's been hard on all of us. Jigyasa and her husband as well. We are all in grief but we are still with some hope that Jai will recover despite what the doctors are saying.

Again Bani looks to Jai and watches his paralyzed face temporarily before blinking away her tears and staring back to Tarun.

Bani: …. The accident… How…. How did it…

Tarun: (finishes for her) We didn't know the exact details about it at first of how it happened. All we knew was that Jai's car had crashed… It was until a few days later that we found out…

"Drunk driver," both Jai and Tarun state at the same time and Bani looks over at Jai in surprise.

Jai: …. He was on the other road crossing the intersection and crossed a red light when the traffic light from my side turned green. He hit my car at the side…..

Tarun: The b*stard confessed that he had done a hit and run while intoxicated. He passed a red light and slammed into Jai's car at an intersection. He has been sentenced for jail time, but if you ask me, that still isn't enough. He has put a man's life at stake because of his own foolishness…. He should be punished more severely than just that. (finishes harshly)

Bani licks her dry lips and feels her saliva run down her constricted throat. Her mind reels on the thought of Jai being in the middle of life and death at this exact very moment. Her hands unknowingly began to tremble.

Bani: Tarun… you… you don't mind giving me the name of the hospital that he is in? I wish to see him… please.

Tarun: I will gladly tell you Bani… As much as I hate saying this, …. this may be the last time you will get to see Jai…

His words felt like a huge blow to both Jai and Bani, who glance at one another at the impact….their eyes clashing, speaking the words that their mouths fail to utter…

Tarun: He's been admitted to the Bombay Hospital… It is just ten minutes from here…

********************************************************************************

Please do leave comments. They're very much appreciated. 😃