Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 15 years ago

Originally posted by: ktktktkt

hey why don't you guys see the positive side of this (if you don't like Himesh that is). he's not doing any music outside of the films he's acting in so you have to hear him less often compared to the last two years. 😊

ek saal baad to bechare ki koi album aayi hai... let him have his moment.πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† true.  it's a saving grace,  We can avoid both by avoiding his movieπŸ˜†  Karzzzz ka band baja diya iss neyπŸ˜†

By the way, here's an excerpt from one of the numerous reviews floating around
πŸ˜‰

************************************************************************************************************

Masand's Verdict: Karzzzz, a lazy rip-off

Rajeev Masand / CNN-IBN

Published on Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 22:51, Updated on Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:53 in Entertainment section

Cast: Himesh Reshammiya, Urmila Matondkar, Shweta Kumar, Dino Morea, Danny Denzongpa, Rohini Hattangadi, Raj Babbar

Direction: Satish Kaushik

I never thought the day would come when I'd feel sympathy for Dino Morea, especially since he's inflicted such terrible performances on us in his short but shameful acting career. But after watching Karzzzz, I have to say my heart went out to the poor guy even though he doesn't perform much better this time.

To be cast as a character who's bumped off prematurely only to be reborn in the body of Himesh Reshammiya is a humiliation nobody deserves........................................................................

The new Karzzzz doesn't work because it has no soul. It's a lazy rip-off where everything from characters to dialogues has been more-or-less duplicated, the only changes being superficial ones which grate rather than update..................................................

And pray who is going to digest Himesh Reshammiya playing a 25-year-old while Urmila's meant to be, what, 50?..............

.......................................The film feels like a showcase of the worst ensemble acting you've ever seen. Every single actor – the leads, the supporting cast, even the junior artistes who appear in insignificant bit roles seem to be trying to outdo each other in the over-acting department................................

Himesh Reshammiya – his chest waxed, his tummy trimmed – makes a very sincere effort to pull off Monty. However, despite the careful styling and the precautions to not take too many tight close-ups, Himesh is ultimately unconvincing as the heartthrob pop-star who's hurting inside.

His body language is awkward, his facial expressions are contorted, and his dialogue delivery lacks modulation. Suffice to say he doesn't hold a candle to Rishi Kapoor who pulled off the original film on the strength of his charm alone. Yet it's only Himesh who actually appears convinced about the plot and it's only him who seems to want to make this film work.

Much of the appeal of Subhash Ghai's Karz lay in its timeless music – who can forget such evergreen hits as Om Shanti Om, Dard-e-dil and Ek hasina thi?

Himesh Reshammiya's remake has catchy numbers in his signature style, but it's unlikely that we'll be humming tunes like Tandoori Nights and Lutt jaoon twenty years from now.

.........................................................I'm going with one out of five for director Satish Kaushik's Karzzzz. I wouldn't even recommend it as a film that's so bad it might be fun.

This one's just plain bad and I recommend you stay far away.

Rating: 1 / 5 (Poor)

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/masands-verdict-karzzzz-a-lazy-ripoff---pics/76105-8-p1.html

************************************************************************************************************

Looks like the exact same thing written about the "catchy" music that I have been saying again and again.  Remember Hawa hawa O hawa song?  I don't blame you if you don't.  It used to be on pretty much everyone's lips during early 90's....was a chart topper too, just like Bappi da's I'm A Disco Dancer but no where today.  This is precisely what will happen to all those so called "chartbusters" the HR fans are claiming as the root cause for masses "loving" HRπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†  These types of songs are called "catchy" because they catch the fancy.  They, however, fail to make a dent and fade as soon as they rose.  Flukes should not be termed as successeπŸ˜‰

Thanks Rafifan#1 for posting this link in one of your threads.  that highlighetd line about Karzzzz songs pretty much put the nail in the headπŸ˜ƒ

punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Has everyone noticed how before any HR song is sung by any contestant in SRGMP, Himesh prefaces it with "Don't compare this with my original song. I have a very unconventional voice".

I have just got SICK of this explanatory preface.

Have you see Shankar Mahadevan giving this kind of a stupid preface before his songs are sung by contestants?

In fact when HR starts saying that, I say "Anyone singing is going to make it better than the original!!"
Abhilasha1980 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† This one's just plain bad and I recommend you stay far away.

Rating: 1 / 5 (Poor)

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/masands-verdict-karzzzz-a-lazy-ripoff---pics/76105-8-p1.html

Rajeev Masand is a noted critic and doesn't criticise a film just like that , thanks for posting this Gauri, we will avoid this movie like rattle snake πŸ˜†

BTW why HR keeps dedicating his movie to rickshaw and tempo wallas..??? πŸ˜† 
ReemAnshu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
ReemAnshu thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

Has everyone noticed how before any HR song is sung by any contestant in SRGMP, Himesh prefaces it with "Don't compare this with my original song. I have a very unconventional voice".

Have you see Shankar Mahadevan giving this kind of a stupid preface before his songs are sung by contestants?

In fact when HR starts saying that, I say "Anyone singing is going to make it better than the original!!"

Thats true, because HR's voice is very different and we are use to hearing those songs in his voice as they are played so often everywhere (in India atleast). So its good that he tells the audience not to think of the song in his voice. I have heard contestants sing Jhalak Dikhlaja etc but they never have the great impact which the original has.

As far as Shankar goes, he is the great conventional singer. A singer which is best suited for playback, he has such a sweet voice that it goes well on all songs. Plus since he is a great playback singer, his voice can go on any actor like SRK, Amitabh (Jhoon Barabar) or any new comer. Thats why he does not need to tell this to the audience. He voice and singing style is universal and perfect for playback. While HR's singing style is personal and distinctive, which has given him an identity. Thus it is good to inform that people should not look for his identity when someone else is singing it.
ReemAnshu thumbnail
Since people are posting reviews here, I will also post a review from Taran Adarsh (who is the editor of Trade guide) and critic since 20 years, when some of the other critics were not even born :

Okay, so we all know what Subhash Ghai's KARZ is all about, don't we? After all, it's a film worth recollecting and recalling even after three decades of its first release. Ghai Indianised THE REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD beautifully, packing just about every ingredient that makes a complete masala film. Satish Kaushik's interpretation of KARZ remains loyal to its predecessor.

Comparisons between the old and the new are inevitable. In fact, every aspect of KARZZZZ will be under a scanner, right from Rishi-Simi/Himesh-Urmila, the winning musical score by L.P./Himesh, the dramatic moments, et al. So let's come to the point right away, to the answer you've been waiting for. Is KARZZZZ worth the hype?

Let's get one thing straight. And this is very, very important and one shouldn't overlook this fact. This is a masala film; the makers never ever promised new-age cinema. Given the fact that KARZZZZ talks of punar janam, plus there's a dash of mythology, as also everything that goes into the making of an entertainer, just don't expect anything path-breaking from KARZZZZ. Also, don't expect KARZZZZ to pander to the tastes of the multiplex junta.
KARZZZZ is a hardcore masala film and if you relish the masala entertainers of yore, go ahead, you would relish Satish Kaushik's interpretation of KARZ as well. 

KARZZZZ has the soul of KARZ, but there's a twist in the tale. You can say that writer Shiraz Ahmed hasn't picked up the script in entirety. He has added a new twist to the tale [the KARZ loyalists might call it tampering], which may find its share of advocates and adversaries.

Another reason why KARZZZZ works is the kind of energy and confidence Himesh radiates. In AAP KAA SURROOR, he played himself, Himesh Reshammiya. In KARZZZZ, he's Monty. He has to look the character, but most importantly, he has to act. And surprise, surprise, surprise, Himesh gets the demanding role right.

Himesh may not have the charisma of SRK, he may not be talented like Aamir, he may not be dashing and debonair as Salman and Akshay, but you can't turn your eyes away from the fact that he has oodles of confidence and that makes the job easier. Also, comparisons with Rishi Kapoor are inevitable. Well, Rishi Kapoor was matchless and KARZ continues to remain a shining medal to this date, but even the harshest of critics would agree that Himesh is here to stay. 

Yet, all said and done, KARZZZZ has the potential to strike gold, winning the hearts of the aam junta -- its target audience. Watch it as a homage to the cinema of 1980s and there're bright chances that you would root for the new Monty as well. Simply put, go for it! 

It's a Himesh show all the way. His music caters to the popular tastes. In fact, the songs are already a rage and the tracks are a visual treat as well. As an actor, Himesh strives to look the part and succeeds. He has lost weight, his styling [Roopa Chadha] is perfect and as an actor, he takes giant strides. Urmila is top notch. In two scenes mainly. One, at the very outset. Two, towards the end, when she confronts Himesh. 

Shweta Kumar is a pretty face, but there's not much meat in her character since the story primarily revolves around Monty and Kaamini. Dino Morea leaves a mark. Danny Denzongpa is ideal for the part. Gulshan Grover is wasted. Ditto for Raj Babbar. Rohini Hattangadi and the actress enacting the role of the sister are good. Bakthiyaar Irani acts well. Asrani provides some light moments. Himani Shivpuri is alright.

On the whole, KARZZZZ is rich in entertainment. Himesh's tremendous popularity amongst masses, its chartbusting musical score and the fact that it's a remake of a much-loved film will only lure masses in hordes. Besides, it's an open ground for KARZZZZ at the ticket window, what with the euphoria of all past releases having dried up. At the box-office, the film should fetch a thunderous start and in due course, should be amongst the biggest achievers of the year in terms of business. Reincarnation themes have a super-successful track record, right from KARZ to KARAN ARJUN to OM SHANTI OM. Now add KARZZZZ to this list. Damn the pseudo critics who even rubbished KARZ three decades ago. Go by your instinct and have a blast!

Edited by ReemAnshu - 15 years ago
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ReemAnshu

Thats true, because HR's voice is very different and we are use to hearing those songs in his voice as they are played so often everywhere (in India atleast). So its good that he tells the audience not to think of the song in his voice. I have heard contestants sing Jhalak Dikhlaja etc but they never have the great impact which the original has.

As far as Shankar goes, he is the great conventional singer. A singer which is best suited for playback, he has such a sweet voice that it goes well on all songs. Plus since he is a great playback singer, his voice can go on any actor like SRK, Amitabh (Jhoon Barabar) or any new comer. Thats why he does not need to tell this to the audience. He voice and singing style is universal and perfect for playback. While HR's singing style is personal and distinctive, which has given him an identity. Thus it is good to inform that people should not look for his identity when someone else is singing it.

Well, he does not need to inform each and every time that he has an unconventional voice - if he is so famous then people would already know, right? Or is he worried that there are many who have not yet heard his unconventional voice?

Shankar is the complete singer or rather the complete music artist - who can sing anything, anyhow be it rock/bhangra/classical/soft/ power packed/ ANYTHING. His voice makes other voices sound weak and in-need-of-training (witness the latest episode of SRGMP when he sang with each and every contestant).

Now if only Shankar had called Himesh to come and accompany him, you would have heard Himesh coming with his standard whine "mera to unconventional voice hain, main inke saath nahin gaa sakta"

ReemAnshu thumbnail

[

Well, he does not need to inform each and every time that he has an unconventional voice - if he is so famous then people would already know, right? Or is he worried that there are many who have not yet heard his unconventional voice?

Shankar is the complete singer or rather the complete music artist - who can sing anything, anyhow be it rock/bhangra/classical/soft/ power packed/ ANYTHING. His voice makes other voices sound weak and in-need-of-training (witness the latest episode of SRGMP when he sang with each and every contestant).

Now if only Shankar had called Himesh to come and accompany him, you would have heard Himesh coming with his standard whine "mera to unconventional voice hain, main inke saath nahin gaa sakta"

[/QUOTE]
I dont see a big deal in him informing. I feel that there are certain songs which are engraved in people's mind as HR songs and the difference between him singing and anyone else singing is huge in terms of voice / tone etc (some may like it some may not) but he is reminding because generally people compare a song in reality shows with the original (the judges also comment at times & compare with orginal). In HR's case any comparison is not good because his voice is extremely diff. So no harm in reminding people as they are the ones who will vote.

With regards to Shankar, I have already mentioned that he is a great singer and complete in every aspect.

As far as Himesh singing with Shankar, it would not have been a good idea unless the song was such that it would support a conventional and perfect voice with an unconventional / limited voice.
But if you may recall, there have been songs like Aap Ki Kashish which was a beautiful blend of both voices, so was the title track of Apne - Apne Toh Apne hote hain (sung by Sonu & HR)
Edited by ReemAnshu - 15 years ago
Red Font - ReemAnshu
Blue Font - Gauri_3
Black Font - Gauri's previous posts......too tired to type them all over again so quoted myselfπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

Bang on target, PunjiniπŸ˜†  He is insecure that's why he blabbers so much.