Article:Get real, grab eyeballs

Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Get real, grab eyeballs
28 Jul 2008, 0001 hrs IST, SANGEETA DASS ,TNN

Madhuri Dixit and Vaibhavi Merchant on Nach Baliye 3 More Pics
Whether it's the Shinjini episode that caused a stir or the recent mishap on an adventure show, reality shows are constantly in the news. And their eyeball-grabbing nature is undeniable. BT asks readers what makes reality shows work.

Who dares wins!

Shows like MTV Roadies and Fear Factor-Khatron Ke Khiladi , in which young guys and girls are faced with risky challenges, are the most-wanted reality shows. "You get a kick when you watch youngsters complete daring feats," says IT consultant Pallavi Khurana. "It's fun to watch boys and girls pitted against one another in situations that require the same level of skills," says photographer Gayatri Sharma.

Naach-gaana

Talent hunt shows like Sa Re Ga Ma Pa, Indian Idol and Boogie Woogie involving dance and music performances are very popular with families. Actress and anchor Mandira Bedi says, "It is evident from the numbers that these shows are in demand." Priya Sudeep says, "I thoroughly enjoyed Jo Jeeta Wohi Superstar as I'm a fan of Abhijeet Sawant." Entrepreneur Nikhil Sharma says, "Not only are these shows entertaining, they also have a lot of substance."

Quiz me

Thanks to stars like Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan, quiz shows have entered every living room and got everyone updating their general knowledge. There were quiz shows being telecast before, but the ones hosted by celebs seem to have caught everyone's fancy. "I prefer quiz shows as the brain gets some exercise. Besides being entertaining, these shows are informative too," says professor Tapobrati Das.

Celeb power

Dance shows like Nach Baliye, Jhalak Dikhla Ja and Nachke Dikha , in which celebrity couples take part, are also popular among viewers. "It's interesting to watch celebs in a different arena altogether," says homemaker Anushna Sagar. "These shows create a lot of curiosity about the winnability of celeb couples," she adds.

LOL!

This genre of reality shows became very popular among viewers with the launch of The Great Indian Laughter Challenge . "These shows help you relax and lift your mood after a hard day at work," says marketing executive Tridip Kashyap. "But, of late, they seem to have lost their appeal. Although many stand-up comedy shows have been launched, there's no spice anymore," adds Tridip.