Performative Feminism or Misleading Promo?

asmaanixx thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 1 years ago

To properly engage in this discussion, it would be best if you are caught up with the episodes thus far (or at the very least have watched Garv's scenes). It would greatly aid in your understanding of the points I am making.

When the show was first being promoted, it was this promo that had given us an extensive insight into what Garv's character would be like: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtI4YMgsl2-/

From watching it, most of us had gotten the gist that Garv would be the kind of man who's sweet at first but then becomes abusive after marriage. As typical as it sounds, this storyline would have worked had Garv been the one out to ensnare Titli with his sugary act from the get-go. Making those feminist speeches to impress her, being polite and caring to show his soft personality, etc. would have been great tactics to use. However, we have already seen all this, just not with Garv but with Rahul. Rahul deliberately put on an act so that he could trap Titli and use her for his benefit.

Let's deviate for a moment and compare Rahul's solo scenes with Garv's.

Rahul:

• Has discussed his nefarious plans with his wife
  • Has shown no remorse, guilt, or regret in duping Titli
  • Has gotten mad at his mom and wife for endangering the entrapment plans
  • Plots ways to keep Titli in the dark
  • Purposely put Titli's life at risk so that he could save her and become a hero in her eyes

Garv:

• Used intimidating tactics to get an agreement signed
  • Beat up an important client when he misbehaved with his employee
  • Gave a motivating quote to Titli (unknown of her identity) when she lost one of her wings
  • Complimented Titli (still unknown to him) when she mistakenly decorated his car
  • On a radio show, stated his view of Love = Absolute Trust
  • Argued with his dad when his Badi Maa was being mistreated

For Rahul, everything he did was carefully orchestrated so that Titli didn't find out the truth about him and believed him blindly instead. Garv on the other hand, has no one to impress. When his employee was being harassed, he didn't have to go as far as beating up the client. He could have dealt with the matter in private by scolding the man and forbidding him from doing something similar in the future. Instead, he beat the crap out of the guy and humiliated him for an extra measure. It can't be said Garv was trying to impress one of his employees because a) he hasn't shown any attraction towards any of them and b) he doesn't even remember their names. In his home, again, he doesn't have anyone to impress since they're all his family members and they seem to love him well enough.

This brings me back to my original question: the actions that we have seen from Garv thus far, are they all a mere performance for the audience so that they can be shocked by seeing how vile he is after his marriage with Titli? Or, was the promo misleading in terms of how Garv's character is going to pan out over the course of the story?

What do you all think? Let me know down in the comments below.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ragazza_dolce thumbnail

I don't know why, but I feel the promo is somewhat misleading. Abhi tak Garv gas not shown any traits of being abusive or the one to lure innocent girls into his traps.

And I don't know why but I feel there are many layers to Garv's character but hai woh dil ka achha like some bad memories or trauma kuch toh hai jo uske character ko aur interesting aur mysterious banaata hai

I'm loving this show abhi tak toh❤️

Like aaj ke episode mein Rahul bhi expose ho gaya, no stretching of that plot 👍🏼

asmaanixx thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ragazza_dolce

I don't know why, but I feel the promo is somewhat misleading. Abhi tak Garv gas not shown any traits of being abusive or the one to lure innocent girls into his traps.

And I don't know why but I feel there are many layers to Garv's character but hai woh dil ka achha like some bad memories or trauma kuch toh hai jo uske character ko aur interesting aur mysterious banaata hai

I'm loving this show abhi tak toh❤️

Like aaj ke episode mein Rahul bhi expose ho gaya, no stretching of that plot 👍🏼

Trauma toh hai. When he mentioned a boy being punished for accidentally shooting his brother, I think he might have been alluding to himself. I could be wrong about that though. But kuch toh hua hai which has made him not like his dad so much and be so akdu.

aaf311 thumbnail
Jimmy Jab Games Season 7 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail + 2

I think the promo might be misleading, but it could also be that side of Garv isn't out yet. Maybe Garv himself doesn't know that side of him exists. This I interpret from another promo, where we can see that Garv is shocked that he's hurt Titli.

This promo: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Csa1kQfg3Ue/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Once he starts developing feelings for Titli, his abusive behaviour might come to the front.

OliviaP thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

In today's episode, we got a short glimpse of Garv's contradictory behaviour.. Like how easily he convinced monica to forgive her abusive husband and give him another chance. So Garv definitely has an other side.

Guys.. I have a doubt. Who is badi maa's husband?Did Garv's father married twice??Some other lady was shown as his wife infront of guests.

Edited by Docworld - 1 years ago
Niyashi thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail + 2

The promo is amazing and it does gives us an idea that Garv's love is like a cage.He definitely has trauma . As someone said his dark side may appear after developing feeling for Titli.

In the promos his expressions clearly shows that he is not intentionally trying to hurt her and he is unable to control his jealousy and insecurities.

The dress he bought with love gets rejected by Titli and he acts as if she rejected him. It shows he is an insecure posessive man.

Right now i just want to enjoy the journey of him falling for Titli.

asmaanixx thumbnail

Originally posted by: aaf311

I think the promo might be misleading, but it could also be that side of Garv isn't out yet. Maybe Garv himself doesn't know that side of him exists. This I interpret from another promo, where we can see that Garv is shocked that he's hurt Titli.

This promo: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Csa1kQfg3Ue/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Once he starts developing feelings for Titli, his abusive behaviour might come to the front.

Hey!

I have used the same promo in my post but I'm glad to see there were two different interpretations for it. :)

Garv not knowing that side of himself is a possibility, especially if being with Titli would be his first relationship. Regardless of how well he might think himself to be, being with Titli will definitely bring out different aspects that he might not have known or considered before.

Instead of physical abuse, I would preferred to see him tackle his underlying misogyny. Like, it's easier to advocate for complete strangers, but harder to do so for people you know.

aaf311 thumbnail
Jimmy Jab Games Season 7 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: asmaanixx

Hey!

I have used the same promo in my post but I'm glad to see there were two different interpretations for it. :)

Garv not knowing that side of himself is a possibility, especially if being with Titli would be his first relationship. Regardless of how well he might think himself to be, being with Titli will definitely bring out different aspects that he might not have known or considered before.

Instead of physical abuse, I would preferred to see him tackle his underlying misogyny. Like, it's easier to advocate for complete strangers, but harder to do so for people you know.

No, check the link, it's a different promo! They show Garv and Titli getting married and then life after that and all

Yeah, i mean it would definitely be better if the show didn't go down that track of abuse, seeing as itv hardly ever deals with those concepts sensitively and in an appropriate manner, but oh well

Enjoying the show though. like it's kinda cringe at times, but which show isn't 😆

Garv's badima is so overdramatic lol

Bhavisweet03 thumbnail

Originally posted by: aaf311

No, check the link, it's a different promo! They show Garv and Titli getting married and then life after that and all

Yeah, i mean it would definitely be better if the show didn't go down that track of abuse, seeing as itv hardly ever deals with those concepts sensitively and in an appropriate manner, but oh well

Enjoying the show though. like it's kinda cringe at times, but which show isn't 😆

Garv's badima is so overdramatic lol

That's right. Currently enjoying the show. But yes I do want more Garv scenes.

In promo I didn't find him that much handsome😉 but he looks damn good in the episodes.

Badima is too dramatic. Actually I had a feeling that she is somehow related to Garv.

mango.falooda thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Bhavisweet03

That's right. Currently enjoying the show. But yes I do want more Garv scenes.

In promo I didn't find him that much handsome😉 but he looks damn good in the episodes.

Badima is too dramatic. Actually I had a feeling that she is somehow related to Garv.

she is such a weirdo -- even I feel like yelling "you are a moron!" at the stuff that comes out of her mouth. also, she looks way too weird (as well as rather ugly - no one hit me with chappals). 😆