Truth and Relationships

anonee thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Truth and Relationships

I know this is a tricky topic - but I am going to venture and begin a post any way. My hope is to stir an open dialogue and discussion..
In an ideal world we all would be endlessly truthful. For example, before marriage Payal and Dev how important honesty was in their relationship and how they would always be honest with each other (of course the very next day Dev lied about the reason he wanted Payal's best wishes - he did not tell her about his job interview ! 😉)
So, Dev's version of truth is elastic and for that matter so is yours and mine. But how elastic is your version of truth or honesty? Are you committed to absolute truth and being painfully honest (like Gulkand) or do you believe in some degree of elasticity (of course for Jug Head and Ayyo the elastic element is broken. Chaddi mein nada nahi hain - their underwear is not held by any strand. They free float. 😃).
But seriously where do you (or where does one) draw the line (in other words how much tension does your elastic hold)? In essence, truth is defined differently by each one of us - so, whose truth is real and whose isn't?
Is truth:
- Ignoring your new bride because you and she were cheated by your loved ones?
- Vowing to your parents that you are living in marital bliss when life is hell?
- Asking your husband to join you in weaving a web of lies to your parents so that your in-laws deceit is not revealed to them?
- Telling your relatives and friends you have to call your mother-in-law so that they continue to believe a lie about yourself/your husband?
-Faking happiness and giving everybody the impression that all is well?
-Colluding with Jug Head and co to keep a major fraudulent activity a secret?
-Revealing all of Jug Head's antics to Payal before marriage and later to Dev on her muh dikhayi?
- Avoiding an open husband-wife conversation about the misunderstandings created by Jug-Ayyo?
The truth is ... ... we are rarely committed to absolute honesty! We know that the world does not fall because of omissions or limitations to the truth.
But in relationships ... one person's loose truth can be another person's earth-shattering moment (what Payal experienced will sooner or later be experienced by her parents and siblings). What if that earth-shattering moment occurs under strenuous circumstances - when say it is just that additional straw that breaks the camel's back? What then - how will Payal live with the guilt?
In case of Payal too - the consequence of Gulkand's honesty - was Payal's and Payal's alone to bear. It was delivered at a moment when Payal was caught at crossroads - either way she faced chaos. Was Gulkand wrong in delivering the news then or is Payal wrong in the decision she took?
Secrets/untruths/deceit and lies will always change the dynamics between people. We can see the effect on Dev-Payal, Gul-Ayyo, Dev-Rest of Prasads, Payal-rest of Prasad. Gul-Payal relations. Every time a lie is unearthed it will release a puff of toxicity until a critical level is reached. How much more can Dev and Payal tolerate?
And how will Dev-Payal's lies affect their relationship with her parents when the truth is known? You may tell me that it is none of her parents business - it is their life anyway! Irrespective when each lie is uncovered - her parents will wonder what else does she not tell me? Her father will be heart broken - he taught her to be honest and upright; his parting advice was never to compromise on her values.
Well right now Payal is thinking -what they do not know will not hurt them.
But has she asked her parents what they do and do not want to know about? Is she justified in making this decision for them.
Go on, tell me what you think - is this the right way for Payal to start her life?
Edited by anonee - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aimf thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Brilliant thoughts, nicely strung together. This is deep stuff requiring some pondering. Will revert after I have had the time to do so.
anonee thumbnail

Originally posted by: aimf

Brilliant thoughts, nicely strung together. This is deep stuff requiring some pondering. Will revert after I have had the time to do so.

@aimf
Thank you for the appreciative comment! 😊
Not to worry take your time to compile your post. 😆
I hope you touch upon the key elements that I left out. There are so many that I hope all of our forum friend participate in this dialogue. 😊
anonee thumbnail
@bigheart
thank you for hitting the like button and conveying your appreciation of the post. I apologize for not being good in acknowledging your appreciation. Your hitting the like button does encourage me to write more! 😊😆
Edited by anonee - 9 years ago
skar1984 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@topic maker - fabulous post! Really enjoyed reading it and the thoughts you've put across and the points you've raised.
When it comes to truth - absolute truth is absolute - there is no stretching/omitting etc associated with that. Absolute truth is very rare in our era - I'm sure many try or aim to be honest, absolute truth seekers and speakers - but by and large "truth" is very subjective. Being truthful is really dependent on how WE define it. Likewise being perceived as "truthful" or "dishonest" is also dependent on how the other person describes/defines "truth". As an example if someone tells me "I am not available for dinner tonight" based on their definition they are being honest and truthful by informing me they are unavailable. Accepted. However if the reason behind that is this person cancelled dinner with me to go out with another friend - some might deem that as being "dishonest" Why because this person didn't give me the "Full" reason for being unavailable. This is a really rudimentary type of example but the idea is to explain how one person's "truth" can still be perceived as being dishonest or disingenuous.

Now coming to Payal and this lovely soup she's landed herself in, "truth", "what is RIGHT" all of that is relative to values and moral compass.

Realistically (based on my perception of reality) a well educated, well established, righteous girl would have exposed her would be in laws in front of society (coz we still have that component Indians love to harp on) and called the wedding off.

What Payal is doing right now is actually very unrealistic. More so we don't know what she's thinking, what she wants.

- Is she in love with Dev, thus willing to turn a blind eye to his family's deceit?
- Is she so scared of hurting her parents that she'll suck it up desi/bhartiya nari style and just play along?
-Is she taking her time to win these people over only to teach them a fitting lesson later?
- Is she not sure what her next step should be and just buying time?

Payal is IMO (as she's being shown right now) very short sighted. She went thru with the wedding to save her parents from hurt, humiliation, despair etc. Great - she played the mahan daughter part - but what about tomorrow? Sooner or later her parents will find out that Dev is unemployed and the Prasads tricked them for their own selfish greedy means.

Either way Payal needs to figure out what she wants.

If she wants to stay in this marriage and be with Dev - great - she needs to have that conversation with Dev and get on the same page. Next inform her parents of the reality of the wedding (sooner or later they will find out that Dev does not own/run the coaching center - better they hear it from them before outsiders come to tell them and it becomes a further humiliating/embarrassing situation). Accept her transfer - move to a new city with Dev and both can start a life together there. That would also be an interesting story to watch because typically we see gender roles - men are the well established, bread winners and women are the care givers, home makers with sometimes an ambition to have a job/career. This would be a nice role reversal to see the woman well established and working - supporting her husband as he figures out what he wants to do or not do be a house-husband for that matter - but they have that understanding.

If Payal wants out of the marriage - then that's easy - just tell Dev - sorry we got married under assumed identities, I'm not tolerating this deceit, lets part ways. Tell her parents, file divorce and move back home, move to a different city. Whatever she wants.

Alternatively - if Payal wants to stay in the marriage and stay with the Prasad monsters to teach them a fitting lesson. She's going to need to have Dev's support and still inform her parents.

What Payal is trying to do is unclear but its obvious that she's not willing to tell her family the truth. That in itself is going against the principles she's shown to have had, that her father instilled in her. So yes that again is going back to - truth being elastic/subjective on how the individual defines it, and how they define it depends on their values, moral compass etc.

aimf thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
As mentioned earlier, this is a wonderful post. Here are my thoughts, better late than never.

In the dharmashastra, a treatise on righteous conduct, there an advice given: satyam bruyat, priyam bruyat; na bruyat satyam api apriyam. It means. "speak the truth, speak it in a way that is pleasant to hear; do not speak things that are unpleasant to hear, even if they are true." The whole gamut of motives of the actors in SWB can be understood in the light of this adage. While we can appreciate this advice and understand why the sages of yore prescribed this as ideal conduct, we can also see that sometimes this advice is misinterpreted, or selectively used to further one's own ends.

Payal thinks that in shielding her parents and natal family from the truth of this marriage, she is following dharma, the righteous conduct of ahimsa, non-injury through words or deeds. Although Payal has not exchanged a single meaningful conversation with her new husband, it is interesting that two out of the three times that she directly addresses him (one time was to give him his morning tea) is for the purposes of eliciting his help in keeping this fiasco of lies and deceit going. What kind of a marriage is it going to be, where the newly married couple participates, not to create a future together, but in fact to create a false idea of a strong marriage and its foundation. Payal's mistake here is in going overboard in protecting her parents. There is a fine line, as you said in your post, between not hurting people and outright lying. Here, I feel that Payal is erring on the side of going overboard with this non-injury thing. It is one thing to be altruistic, but more often than not, the so-called altruistic behavior hides one's own vulnerabilities. In this case, Payal's vulnerability is her parents' lower middle class economic status. In addition to the mental anguish they would undoubtedly go through in hearing of the horror story that is Payal's marriage, Payal thinks that it will also impinge on their financial status. In other words, this wedding will go to waste, and to afford another wedding for her, the father will have to go on working. This is a ridiculous thought, as Payal conveniently forgets that she is not a burden on the family, that she can take care of herself and them too, just as she has been. Instead of living a life of lies, she can hold her head upright and be both a daughter and a son to her parents.

A rather ironic by-product of Payal's lies is that she ends up colluding with the Prasads. Not only are her own value systems compromised, but her actions buttress the motives and evil designs of her in-laws, (rather they should be called "the outlaws!") It is interesting to note that the Prasads who were on edge, and were doing everything to please their new daughter in law, e.g take her a tray of food, appreciate her cooking and her upbringing are now seen breaking down their guard and relaxing. They are beginning to think of her as a harmless (cash) cow, who is malleable and is in agreement with their designs on her money. Now that everything is out in the open, the in-laws are not even hiding anything, and are openly congratulating each other on bringing a sanskari (read having low self esteem and unable to do anything on her own behalf) and earning bahu. After Payal returns from her natal house, the in laws will see that she did not spill the beans to her parents, and they will further dote upon her. But what kind of doting is this? A pack of thieves and liars doting upon their new protege and apprentice? How soon will this adoration give way to hatred and anger? How elastic does Payal's value system have to become in dealing with her in-laws? Where is she going to stop, where is the line? What will she do when she is asked by Ayyo to get him various contracts by nefarious means? If she refuses on the grounds of honesty, will this not directly contradict all the lies she has told her parents? Will not the Prasads rub it in her face?

Another sad by-product of Payal lying and colluding with the in laws is that she is losing an ally in the form of Gulkand. Yes, dear friends, I am afrad that our Gulkand is turning negative. She already had a big chip on her shoulders due to the dowry fiasco and the deceit of Ayyo and Jugs. Now that she sees them play "divide and conquer" and praise Payal to the skies, she is set on making Payal's life hell. This is a strange, but not insignificant twist in the plot. One would have expected Payal and Gulkand to bond, and for the in-laws to give Payal all kinds of trouble, but the opposite has happened, where the in laws are being syrupy sweet, and Gulkand, meanwhile is turning into a live volcano. I do think Gul and Payal will bond, but later on in the plot. Such bonding between women, although much needed, is not so easy in a patriarchal institution, where women are pitted against one another.

Time for bed. Thank you for soliciting my ideas and for writing this wonderful post. Om shantih

Edited by aimf - 9 years ago
nirmalac99 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
smiley_with_thumbs_up.gif image by Redwood39

Word Count: 0

Chitra_11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 3 Thumbnail
Post and discussions...
anonee thumbnail
@aimf and @skar thank you for taking the time to write insightful posts and sharing your thoughts.
It certainly was a nice educative and delightful experience. Educative because I got to know about your perspectives and delightful because of the depth of the topic.

Currently I am traveling and typing this from my phone. So kindly excuse me for the short response.
Gingerly thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Excellent post. It's very deep and thought provocating, hope you appreciate my simple contribution, I can't put it as eloquently and insightful as the rest 😆

Payal is doing more harm than good. She's digging a rather deep hole for herself, that it is not certain how she'll climb her way out of it. In her mind she thinks she's doing what's right for her family by keeping them in the dark about the Prasads and her marriage but in actuality she isn't. With her keeping the truth it makes her look like she's part and parcel with Prasads and their lies, that she joined them in hoodwinking her family. The more Payal keeps the truth, the more she keeps up this farce, the more painful and difficult it will become when her family knows. Payal's family will be hurt knowing the truth but they will be devasted to know that she lied just like the Prasads, even though she is she doing it with good intentions in mind. I can picture her father and mother but mainly her father starting to blame himself for where he went wrong in his upbringing, Payal is totally going against every moral fibre that he instilled her in by this action of hers.

Looking at the current situation, by Payal continuing the lies by choosing to withhold the truth, what difference is there between her and the Prasads? There's an old saying, where I'm from, "the upholder is worse than the thief," meaning, if someone actively or passively encouraged or condoned something that is wrong, then such a person is committing a greater wrong than the actual person who does the wrongful act. Can this saying be applied to Payal's situation? With her keeping the truth and continuing the lies, isn't it like she's encouraging and condoning them? We don't even know what's going on in her mind, we not even seeing her angry, she's operating like normal, like business as usual.

I agree with aimf, Gulkand mostly likely will become negative, they seem to be setting the stage for her to be, so no bonding between Payal and her anytime soon.
Edited by Gingerly - 9 years ago