anonee thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Gatt Bandhan

In hindu wedding ceremonies the angavastra of the groom and the saree pullo of the bride are knotted together as a symbol of the bride and groom's eternal bond and their pledge to be faithful and stand by each other under all circumstances.
As if in warning to Payal-n-Dev, - the gatt bandhan that knotted Payal and Dev together fell apart in front all. The Lord of Fire or Agni Dev refused to bear witness to the treacherous marriage that was thrust upon Payal and the Rais. To me it appeared that the God's refused to endorse this wedding - in fact I will even go further and state that they wanted to STOP the wedding proceedings.
The Rais were behaving like blind bats - they were unable to notice the agony in Payal's face. But the God's were not indifferent - Payal's silent cry for help was answered. The message was clear - Payal must not proceed with the wedding.
Alas! Payal's misguided thinking made her shun her innate goodness (thoughts dressed in black) and embrace faulty societal norms (dressed in white) - and go ahead with the wedding.
Indian marriages are bonds between families. It is apparent the bond between 2 families will soon be broken for the fog of deceit will be lifted after the wedding. As far as Payal's bond with Dev is concerned - it was dealt a severe blow when she came to know that she and her family had been duped into believing that he ran his own coaching center. Payal was looking at her mother- and father-in-law in contempt and then when she saw Ayyo the last vestiges of respect were gone.
The gatt bandhan falling apart - signified the unravelling of Payal's ties to Dev and his family. The only person who appeared concerned was Dev - will he be able to reinstate or should I say create a bond? Well right now that seems an insurmountable task. It is said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". Watch out Prasad and company - if you thought Gul was a earful than Payal will turn out to be a handful!!
Edited by anonee - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aimf thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Brilliant post. Enjoyed it immensely.

It was an ominous wedding, for sure. There were three omens, and each had some interesting symbolism. You have unraveled the symbolism of the parting angavastra very nicely. I think that it will be incumbent upon Dev to carry this marriage through, if it is going to last. Also, we got a glimpse of Payal's modus-operandi when she goes to the in-law's house. She is probably going to be in the satyagraha mode. True, right now she is in shock, but I will not be surprised if she continues in this manner.

There were two other omens-- one was the kalash of holy water falling. This happened due to Guddan Mama's carelessness, but nonetheless, the kalash fell and the ganga water was entirely spilled. Water is feminine, fluid, and cleansing. The spilling of the water symbolizes that even the pure Mother ganga is unable to clean the big mound of papa in the Prasad family. The second omen was the lights suddenly going off, and the generator not engaging. It might have been Gulkand who turned the main switch off so that she could enter without being seen, but nevertheless, it was a bad omen for the lights to go off suddenly in the middle of the wedding. Interestingly, the darkness of the night spewed forth interesting revelations in the form of Gulkand's pardafaash of the family. Perhaps the lights going off means that there is a lot of skeletons in the closet. Payal will keep stumbling upon different kinds of saazish or conspiracies. This omen might also give a clue that Payal has to play the cards close to her chest for now.
aimf thumbnail
Oh and there is a fourth omen -- we have not seen it yet, but it was in the spoiler clip posted in the forum. This omen happens as Santoshi is welcoming Payal with a tray of kumkum water, and asks her to step in the plate and bring her footprints into the house, when Santoshi either imagines or really hears Gulkand's voice. In her nervousness, she nearly drops the plate. In the process, the red kumkum water splashes on Santoshi's face. Wonder what that omen might imply.
Angel_Arya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: aimf

Brilliant post. Enjoyed it immensely.

It was an ominous wedding, for sure. There were three omens, and each had some interesting symbolism. You have unraveled the symbolism of the parting angavastra very nicely. I think that it will be incumbent upon Dev to carry this marriage through, if it is going to last. Also, we got a glimpse of Payal's modus-operandi when she goes to the in-law's house. She is probably going to be in the satyagraha mode. True, right now she is in shock, but I will not be surprised if she continues in this manner.

There were two other omens-- one was the kalash of holy water falling. This happened due to Guddan Mama's carelessness, but nonetheless, the kalash fell and the ganga water was entirely spilled. Water is feminine, fluid, and cleansing. The spilling of the water symbolizes that even the pure Mother ganga is unable to clean the big mound of papa in the Prasad family. The second omen was the lights suddenly going off, and the generator not engaging. It might have been Gulkand who turned the main switch off so that she could enter without being seen, but nevertheless, it was a bad omen for the lights to go off suddenly in the middle of the wedding. Interestingly, the darkness of the night spewed forth interesting revelations in the form of Gulkand's pardafaash of the family. Perhaps the lights going off means that there is a lot of skeletons in the closet. Payal will keep stumbling upon different kinds of saazish or conspiracies. This omen might also give a clue that Payal has to play the cards close to her chest for now.

Nice one again 👏
Sharlene1410 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Brilliant post/discussion the symbolic meaning of the Many signs pre marriage, the relationships of Payal with her in laws, also with Dev after marriage is now on shaky grounds because of their lies and deception. Will Dev be able to prove his innocence, and redeem himself in the eyes of Payal.
Gingerly thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks anonee for this informative post. I'm not a Hindu and so I don't know the facets of the religion. I always wondered what is the purpose for the tying of the knot at the wedding ceremony.

Payal and Dev's union started off on wrong footing and it will get worse before it gets better. The life that Payal had envisioned, in terms of marriage and a husband has just in the blink of an eye shattered into tiny pieces right before her. Honestly, I don't want to see her as a sacrificing queen, bending over backwards to please the good for nothing Prasad family. I don't want her spending her days and nights trying to reform and transform them.
Edited by Gingerly - 9 years ago
aimf thumbnail
@ pulling
Payal must not proceed with the wedding.

For that, it is a bit too late, dear friend. Now she will have to think of other ways to extricate herself from the soup in which she appears to have fallen.
Edited by aimf - 9 years ago
Angel_Arya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: aimf

@ pulling
Payal must not proceed with the wedding.

For that, it is a bit too late, dear friend. Now she will have to think of other ways to extricate herself from the soup in which she appears to have fallen.

The marriage was ought to happen according to the concept of the show😆
Chitra_11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 3 Thumbnail
The title , the post and its symbolic meaning 👏 enjoyed reading it and discussion as well 👏