anonee thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
The Subtle Hero

I have been on other forums - and I have seen fans go ga-ga over the hero even on days when he hammed it up.

Luckily, SWB has a hero who is talented and excellent in his job. The CVs do not make his task easy and yet he excels. You know who I am talking about - yes it is Dev.

When I say the CVs do not make his task easy - I mean he is not the person all the cast talk about. Payal is the poster child that every cast member talks about. He is currently studying and unemployed - whereas Payal is a sarkari officer (government official). He does not swagger about in suit and tie - worse, he gets to wear dhoti and kurta! For the Prasad's he is a problem child - because he his good - dharmic, sanskaric, honest, and nice to all - including Gulkand bhabhi. Unlike his brother, he is respectful and supportive of his-wife-to-be and does not desire her earnings or want her to bring in any dowry. From what we know of him, he has all the good qualities a woman would want in a man.

In fact, he is so good that his parents, elder brother and younger sister have to work hard at keeping him from finding out their true intentions. They can see he has his doubts - and so they lie and deceive him.

But today on screen, he took the cake and showed what a great actor he is. He did action scenes wearing a dhoti and kurta so naturally that no would call it a stunt.

He scuffled with the security guards (and got the better of them), jumped through a window, raced acroos the street jumping over bushes that were 3 feet high to rescue a blind and hearing impaired woman from a speeding truck, All this in an ordinary man's clothes: dhoti-kurta (as he is still wearing his post haldi clothing) and with NO over-the-top acting to claim that he is the hero of the story. Sometime earlier I had wondered whether he might be a superman silently supporting Payal. And, today he proved me true.

Among all the lies and deceipt that Jug Head, Ayyo, Guttan Mama and Rajat were shown enacting today - Dev shone like a star with his goodness. I think if the CVs had decided to make this a male-centric story they may have named it "The Difficulty of Being Good"
Edited by anonee - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cherrypansy thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
TBH, Dev's character gives me more confusion, beyond my imagination, ...so find him very weak in most situations...I think he can voice his opinion but whenever and wherever he has a strong urge...so let's see how will he react to Payal's overt and inert exploitation as a DIL.
anonee thumbnail

Originally posted by: cherrypansy

TBH, Dev's character gives me more confusion, beyond my imagination, ...so find him very weak in most situations...I think he can voice his opinion but whenever and wherever he has a strong urge...so let's see how will he react to Payal's overt and inert exploitation as a DIL.

If I understand you correctly - you mean that Dev is less assertive.

In my opinion Dev is putting a low profile. By that I mean, he tries as far as possible to be away from his parents and siblings. Both Dev and the others in his family know that his values differ from the rest. He is not interested in teaming up with his father or elder brother. He does not believe in the dowry system and he does not approve of how Gulkand is being treated.

He also respects elders - so rather than disagree with his parents and elder brother he plays the disappearing act (or plays a low profile). But this does not mean he does not express his feelings or values. He does this as you say "whenever and wherever he has a strong urge". In other words, he chooses his battles - unlike Gulkand who jumps in with her feet (or should I say mouth) first and reflects later. This is an approach Dev has adopted to survive and live with his family members . In other words, Dev balances the needs of others against his own and decides when it is appropriate to assert his personal rights and when it is not. This is a STRENGTH not a weakness -Dev has nothing to hide from his family while his parents and siblings work hard at hiding from him their intentions and actions. This is because they know that he is assertive and strong willed with respect to expressing his feelings, opinions, values, and beliefs.

Edited by anonee - 9 years ago
KratikaSengarKS thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
respect your views.. But I have to say.. he has still to improve a lot as his acting skills expressions etc... 😳
anonee thumbnail

Originally posted by: KratikaSengarKS

respect your views.. But I have to say.. he has still to improve a lot as his acting skills expressions etc... 😳

Do not acting skills and expressions etc... depend on the character that is being protrayed? I am only talking about how true he has been to character.
Chitra_11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: anonee

The Subtle Hero

I have been on other forums - and I have seen fans go ga-ga over the hero even on days when he hammed it up.

Luckily, SWB has a hero who is talented and excellent in his job. The CVs do not make his task easy and yet he excels. You know who I am talking about - yes it is Dev.

When I say the CVs do not make his task easy - I mean he is not the person all the cast talk about. Payal is the poster child that every cast member talks about. He is currently studying and unemployed - whereas Payal is a sarkari officer (government official). He does not swagger about in suit and tie - worse, he gets to wear dhoti and kurta! For the Prasad's he is a problem child - because he his good - dharmic, sanskaric, honest, and nice to all - including Gulkand bhabhi. Unlike his brother, he is respectful and supportive of his-wife-to-be and does not desire her earnings or want her to bring in any dowry. From what we know of him, he has all the good qualities a woman would want in a man.

In fact, he is so good that his parents, elder brother and younger sister have to work hard at keeping him from finding out their true intentions. They can see he has his doubts - and so they lie and deceive him.

But today on screen, he took the cake and showed what a great actor he is. He did action scenes wearing a dhoti and kurta so naturally that no would call it a stunt.

He scuffled with the security guards (and got the better of them), jumped through a window, raced acroos the street jumping over bushes that were 3 feet high to rescue a blind and hearing impaired woman from a speeding truck, All this in an ordinary man's clothes: dhoti-kurta (as he is still wearing his post haldi clothing) and with NO over-the-top acting to claim that he is the hero of the story. Sometime earlier I had wondered whether he might be a superman silently supporting Payal. And, today he proved me true.

Among all the lies and deceipt that Jug Head, Ayyo, Guttan Mama and Rajat were shown enacting today - Dev shone like a star with his goodness. I think if the CVs had decided to make this a male-centric story they may have named it "The Difficulty of Being Good"

Am happy to see a post on Dev - The Subtle Hero. Yesterday's episode did put me off with this character for a while thinking that how can he just rush in to see The Secretariat without an appointment or by mere dialogue ' I want to meet him..it is urgent' without knowing the importance of post one holds. I struggled to appreciate the character leaving the importance of the scene and the dialogues that took place. This shows how real this character is and my reaction on his actions.

You have understood the character so well that you are able to relate and appreciate the actor who is doing a good job . I just loved ur thought and observation -- especially this line for cherrypansy

'Dev balances the needs of others against his own and decides when it is appropriate to assert his personal rights and when it is not. This is a STRENGTH not a weakness -Dev has nothing to hide from his family while his parents and siblings work hard at hiding from him their intentions and actions. This is because they know that he is assertive and strong willed with respect to expressing his feelings, opinions, values, and beliefs.' ...👏

Thanks dear for this wonderful post and completely agree with what you said 'CVs do not make his task easy and yet he excels'...Wow!

A thought I wanted to share - ' If one loves the character (negative/positive) loving the actor becomes easy ' BUT ' If one loves the Actor ..one will automatically love every and any action of his'.😃

Edited by chitsri65 - 9 years ago
KratikaSengarKS thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: anonee

Do not acting skills and expressions etc... depend on the character that is being protrayed? I am only talking about how true he has been to character.

😳

Word Count: 0

Mogwai thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Dev is indeed a subtle hero. He appears to be weak but is he really... I think he's been underestimated by everyone around him because of the family environment. His father is a dominating man & I don't think Dev has ever been truly appreciated by his family, whereas Payal has. She had the ability to flourish because she has a strong backbone in the form of her family.

I agree, Dev is less assertive. But there seems to be more to the character than meets the eye. He's resilient & loyal...qualities that only strong minded people can truly possess. I feel that the CVs will develop his character gradually & he just might surprise the audience...

As for Abhishek the actor - well I've always admired his acting skills. He's a natural & chooses different types of roles. He may not be drop the typical dead gorgeous Balaji Hero kinda guy. And that's what some people look for in a daily soap hero. But he has talent. And for that I appreciate him & what he has to offer.

Btw, Nice post :)
aimf thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Very nice. I am waiting for more of this Dev to express himself. It is a nice statement that the hero does not have to always be in your face, and also adharma can be fought against without unnecessary recourse to violence.

nirmalac99 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
He is given a very little time to prove his talent...with d limited span according to me he is doing a fab performance...

Beautiful post