What is the status of a D-I-L in modern India?

Loveforlife thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
Dowry in the name if 'servicewali bahu' is the new age, modern day way of getting dowry today. It is the most respectable way of receiving dowry. I know a family where the FIL takes whole salary that the DIL earns and give her a lowly couple of thousands for her own kharcha. She cannot spend her own money.

I am not saying that the salary a DIL earns cannot be spent on her inlaws, but it should be spent by the DIL herself on her own terms, just as her husband does.

She must have the freedom to help her parents financial if the need arises. A DIL is not a commodity. But in India she is many a times treated as one. She is treated as a means to an end. I know one acquaintance who work abroad and stayed there alone for a couple of years with his family staying in India. After returning he got an opportunity again but said he wont go alone. We thought wow he misses his wife so much.. But in the next breath he said I cannot do house work, wash clothes, iron, clean the house..so if my wife can come along I will go. We felt truly disgusted!

So be it for monetary gains or being treated as a mere commodity a DIL is treated as a free of charge helper in many cases...

Forgive me for my sketchy writing but your views and experiences on this topic are welcome! 😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nirmalac99 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Your post is interesting....

The PH took a wonderful concept to show a harsh reality of d society....Service wali bahu s now a modern way of accepting and offering dowry...if a girl earns, then her dowry amount s reduced.. to a considerable amount...

Chitra_11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 3 Thumbnail
If true inspirational stories that can change many by just reading and getting inspired ...

A.P.J Abdul Kalamji...a news paper distributor to President..
Narendra Modiji ...tea vendor to CM of Gujarat and now PM..
M.S.Dhoni...a ticket examiner to Indian Cricket Captain

then why not a serial on Dowry in form of Working women. Your post truly brings out one of the many true incidents happening in life. Thanks for sharing dear.

To the question : What is the status of a D-I-L in modern India ?

To be honest...many don't know...cause it is all kind of people that makes a world and every individual have good and bad experiences ...we can only look forward and hope that if this serial can bring as small as 5% change (the mindset) towards the New way of taking Dowry...then I think...the social cause that was meant to target the audience...educating in an entertaining way...will be highest TRPs for this PH/Channel.

All I have to say is...every educated women in their own little way can spread the social cause...by saying NO to dowry.

I simply loved your post and your thoughts..👏...keep sharing more. Thank U dear. 😃
Anisha_anitan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Lovely post and agree with what you have said. Just hope ph can stick to its original concept
kmfan_2 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Nice post dear...
What my views are...

Take exists because of Give
Give happens for so many reasons...

If the fundamental bond of matrimony between the spouses is strong, the daughter in law becomes the daughter as much as she is blessed with parents in her new home.

Also, so many times even a few phenomenal cases where the DIL is given respect, love and freedom in the new home is not highlighted in society which is also needed as much as the atrocities we get to know of!

Keeping the context of the show in mind, Gulkand's equation with Ayodhya doesn't seem to be one with trust, love and care ...for some reason...maybe the huge demand ...which was again a choice exercised due to a situation.

I am confident that we WILL get to see a different equation between Payal and Dev once they get married which might bring about a new shift in the thoughts of getting a DIL who is working for the purpose of a recurring income flowing in the family ...

Their bond will be the strength to fight this issue for sure!

Edited by kmfan_2 - 9 years ago