Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

dada, thanks for the link ..for his songs

Qwest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Rahat Ali Khan to enthrall Sufi lovers

Saturday, 17 March , 2007

The golden voice behind ''Jiya Dhadak Dhadak Jaye'' from Mukesh Bhatt's 'Kalyug' and ''Lagan Lagi Tumse Mann Ki Lagan'' from Pooja Bhatt's 'Paap', Rahat Fateh Ali Khan is all set to enthrall music lovers in the capital.

The 33-year-old protege of Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan will perform at a concert at Siri Fort auditorium in the capital tomorrow evening.

On the eve of the concert, being organised by Dr R P Goenka-owned RPG Enterprises in association with the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation, the sufi maestro said singing is a god's gift and mere training cannot make good singers.

''One can learn about music from any academy or institute, but being a good singer comes naturally. Family plays an important role in a singer's life because that is his roots,'' Rahat told UNI in an interview.

Rahat who has, over the year, established a niche for himself through his popular songs in 'Kalyug', 'Paap' and 'Omkara' and has in pipeline several films including Vipul Shah's 'Namastey London', Farah Khan's ''Om Shanti Om'', Yashraj films' ''Aaja Nach Le'', ''Jhoom Barabar Jhoom'' and ''Lahore'', believes Bollywood has been a great platform for Pakistani singers like Adnan Sami, Ustad Nusrat Fateh and himself.

''I have recieved tremendous love and affection from all the filmmakers in Mumbai with whom I have been associated with in the last few years. Working here is like coming back to my home,''the maestro said.

Among the films Rahat is really looking forward to is Vipul Shah's 'Namaste London', starring Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif where he has sung a duet ''Main Jahaan Rahoon''.

''The song 'Main Jahaan Rahoon' is a semi-ghazal romantic number with simple words that carry deep meaning,'' Rahat said.

On his experience of working with popular singer and music composer Himesh Reshammiya, he said he had a good coordination with the composer.

Rahat is also ready to release his new album 'Rahat' in May.

Talking about the album, whose songs draw their inspiration from sufi music, Rahat said,''Sufi music has been popular because of the message of brotherhood, love and peace it carries with itself. Even today the 'Sufi' touch is used in all kinds of music.'' Rahat, who took over Ustad Nusrat's Qawwali party after the latter's death in 1997, has been trained in classical music and Qawwali since an early age of 11.

A singer in the Qawwali style, Rahat is the son of Farrukh Fateh Ali Khan and nephew of the great Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

He has perfomed live with Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and sung songs like ''Maki Madni'' for The Derek Trucks Band on 2002's Joyful Noise.

He has also sung a number in Hollywood superstar Mel Gibson's Apocalypto.

Rahat is in India for two days and will return to Pakistan on March 19.

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
*dolly* thumbnail
Rahat Fateh Ali Khan: A spiritual seeker

Spirituality is man's connection with the Almighty. I seek spirituality through my music. When I'm singing, I feel like I'm one with God... nothing comes between us then.

I believe places of worship, be it a mandir or a masjid, are all within the heart. For me, Ishwar, Om, Allah are all the same thing. Which is why religious disputes surprise me. When God is mixed up in a conflict of humans, the outcome is always saddening. I believe nobody has a right to hurt the religious sensibilities of anybody else. There is no excuse for that.

Why does man fight in the name of God? I'm still seeking the answer to that.

I would consider myself a spiritual seeker. When I sing, I feel the light of God inside me. I'm just a student of this great music tradition. No credit to me...

I'm trying to do justice to whatever gifts have been given to me. I remember when I was younger, I enjoyed all types of music. About ten years ago, I was at a dargah at Pakpattan in Pakistan. The spiritual qawwali there mesmerised me as I sat there, tears streaming down my cheeks. That was a turning point in my life. I realised sufi music was my calling and I have never sung anything else after that.

I don't believe in questioning the word of God. In the face of tragedy, I bow my head before His mighty presence and accept what He gives me. If God himself had to leave the world, what are mere mortals? Life and death are inevitable. Of course, parting is always sad but I believe in living with sweet memories.

If there is one way I have learnt to live my life, it is with gratitude. To give thanks for all one has received and to treasure it is the greatest honour one can give to God. Everybody goes through tough times but it is the person who remains sincere throughout a struggle who eventually emerges a winner. That is my belief.
Edited by *dolly* - 17 years ago
*dolly* thumbnail

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan

RAHAT FATEH ALI KHAN PAKISTANI QAWALI/DEVOTION SINGER

All good things take time to happen and that is what National Network of Education Team kept in mind while trying to get in touch with Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. He was stationed in Hotel Ashoka. He came one day before his performance .He called up at the hotel and got in touch with his Assistant Sherry and then we had a telephonic talk where he gave us an appointment (in the hotel). So NNE's team vouched him there. The reason for such a tight security was the arrival of Dr. Abdul Kalam. This memorable moment would always be cherished in the history of National Network Of Education.

Excerpts from the conversation:

NNE: What is the essence of music for you?

Rahat Ji: Music is my life. Music is everything for me. If I had been scholastic that wouldn't have been an achievement because without the knowledge of music I would still be considered as an illiterate for the reason being that Music is given much preference than academic qualifications. Our entire family is into music and music is one most important part of our lives. In short, Music is in our souls!

NNE: Tell us something about your first brush up with Music?

Rahat Ji: Well, I don't remember the exact date and time of beginning but as I told you that Music was all around in our house and we were born and brought up in that environment. So, it entered my nerves since I got into my senses. It became an essential part of my life since my childhood. My
musical grooming started at the age of mere seven and I gave my first performance at the age of nine, after that there was no looking back.

NNE: Who was your source of inspiration?

Rahat Ji: I was majorly inspired by Bade Ghulam Ji, he is my idol. His mere thought brings in the best out of me. It works as a driving force during my performances.

NNE: What role Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Ji plays in your life?

Rahat Ji: He is my Guru. He is my inspiration, my motivation, in fact everything for me. He was very particular about practicing us with the music. He was the most devoted and committed person and very particular about our being disciplined in classroom during our Riyaaz days.

NNE: How do you accept your comparison with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan ji?

Rahat Ji: I think that it is not fair to compare me with such an established name, as the competition is very tough for me. Whenever, I am performing this comparison factor though acts as a positive pressure on me, but at times it makes me tense as while giving performance I have to take care of two things. The comparison vis--vis the audience expectations with me.

NNE: What is the essence of Riyaaz in your life?

Rahat Ji: Well, Riyaaz is an integral part of our learning. Without proper grooming no talent can be polished. And, whatever I am it's just because of Riyaaz. Although I have to still go a long way in this
journey but to put a strong hold on it I don't have any other option but to practice it and bring nikhaar in my voice.

NNE: What do you think is the role of lyrics in a song?

Rahat Ji: (He Smiles) without lyrics
songs would be like a body without soul. And I am one such person who is very particular about lyrics of a song, especially if I have to sing it. If I don't like the lyrics of a song I refuse to sing it.

NNE: Which audience would you prefer Indian or Pakistan audience?

Rahat Ji: Well, to be very honest I appreciate Indian audience and there is one major reason behind it. Indian audience is culturally sound; they have a good grasp over their culture and specifically music. This instinct takes them into the depth of music, which is one factor I admire. They give heed to the lyrics of a particular song, which makes them the most adorable audience. That is why I love to perform here.

NNE: What about your plans for Bollywood? After 'Paap' any other movies in the pipeline?

Rahat Ji: Bollywood is one such place I feel honoured to be associated with. Not much as such is in the store, but yes I am doing playback singing for the movie 'Rog'.

NNE: Who are your favourite singers & musicians in Bollywood?

Rahat Ji: I admire Lata Ji (Lata Mangeshkar), Asha Ji (Asha Bhosle) and amongst the instrumentalists I adore Hari Prasad Chaurasia.

NNE: The most happiest moment of your life?

Rahat Ji: Whenever, I am performing at stage, I am always happy. Each performance brings new cherished moments adding on to the previous ones. These performances revere the music in my inner soul.

NNE: If Rahat Fateh Ali Khan wouldn't have been a Singer than what & where he would have been?

Rahat Ji: I think then I should doubt the existence of Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. Rahat Fateh Ali Khan is only because of Music and in fact they both are synonymous to each other. I had never given even a single thought on such issues. For me, Music is I and I am Music and no question of survival without it.

NNE: Any message to the young generation?

Rahat Ji: Well the present generation is well aware, well off and well knowledgeable. You can't give them any advices; at least for me this is there. They know how to take, accept and appreciate good things. They can differentiate well and moreover they have their different parameters to judge the things. The generation today is intelligent enough so I can simply bless them for their future.

NNE:Would you like to say something to Indian audience?

Rahat Ji: My message to the Indian audience is that I am thankful to them for giving me such an overwhelming response and I will always try to come up to their expectations. I love them, respect them, honour them, as they are my favourite audience and will always remain
Edited by *dolly* - 17 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago
πŸ‘Wow thanks Bob. Luved the article really bombs me out and truly he has become synonamous with music and to separate them is futile. He is very awakened.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Qwest thumbnail

Movie: "Anwar" video song re-encoded with the music from

Kalyug: "Jiya Dhadak Dhadak Jaaye"

[YOUTUBE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI1L2PeICjQ&feature=relat ed[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Qwest - 16 years ago
Qwest thumbnail
Title : Jiya Dhadak Dhadak Jaye
Singer : Rahat Fateh Ali Khan