Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

fuzzyface thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
A good movie in any language will stand out on its own in bollywood or South. The thing is that South movies have simpler setting and background while Bollywood are too superficial and commercial. I appreciate how certain stories are just told in a simple manner, no one needs to go to Switzerland or England all the time.
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Thank you for this interesting topic Aishi 👏👏

I also feel that each movie speaks for itself, based on how the story and characters unfold!  I haven't watched too many movies as of late, but based on what I've seen:

Some of the Tamil movies I've watched are of low budget, but honestly loved the way the stories were portrayed, especially in a realistic manner.  On the other hand, some of the hindi movies I watched were taken overseas, but I once again loved them... so in other words, the way in which the story is told (along with the portrayal of the characters) speak volume of the movie, than any other elements...  so to me, both set of movies (south indian films and bollywood) hold special places in my heart for their own reasons  😳. 
migan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Nice Tpoic.

i enjoy both south and Bollywood movies.

As others said the main differences Hindi movies are extravagant.  For that part I watch those specific movies. Other than that I love to watch South because of the simple story and the plot. I think the way it is right now is good - so we get entertainment from both worlds.
supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Lovely Topic Aish!

Honestly. South Indian films are just right the way they are. The type of atmosphere they create, the excitement mixed with it, I really wouldn't want to lose all that. 😆

The masala, the fights, the dance, the romance, the comedy all have its own taste and thats what make these films stand out from the rest. And obviously, it would suck to lose that feel.

I do love and enjoy Bollywood too, but some films I watch feel like an overdone Hollywood film. It's not like I mind 'cause I enjoy Hollywood too. But then again, Bollywood has to be its own little thing, not a copy.

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I don't watch many south indian movies, although I guess I sometimes catch them when they come on Zee Cinema or B4U movies when it's dubbed in Hindi and most of my closest friends are Tamil so they're always updating me when there's a new movie out.

As a kid I loved the typical Bollywood stuff and so I loved all the dishum dishum action sequences from South movies but as I grew older I really began to dislike that kind of stuff. I prefer to watch a movie that actually makes sense now and I find often Bollywood makes more movies that are more realistic than South. Someone mentioned low budget movies..even movies like A Wednesday, Dev D, Aamir, Mumbai Meri Jaan etc are low budget yet they manage to do well and attract an audience. Other movies like TZP and 3 Idiots which doesn't include the typical item number still manage to WOW audiences and it shows the way Hindi Cinema is progressing. I guess I'll always love a cheesy and no-sense comedy movie every now and then like golmaal, no entry, hera pheri etc and the rona-dhona big budget Karan Johar movies like KHNH, K3G etc too. 

However I do agree that south actors are more talented in general than bollywood actors. There are very few genuinely talented actors in bollywood. To name a few-aamir khan, irrfan khan and hrithik roshan. South actors are very talented but I really do get quite annoyed with the over-acting or the way they're required to be too bubbly and cheesy.

On a side note, I watched Guzaarish recently and it was set in Goa and I couldn't help but notice how much of the dialogues were in English.😲Of course they were playing Christian characters who in general do speak more english but it still surprised me.
kavya.b thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
i like both south n bolly movies as well
they have their own flavor n i enjoy both...this is in general

but if i go in to deep, i prefer south movies minus the tid bits they add in the movie saying that 'fans need that' 
actors, to be specific , stars in south choose films by their image....than searching for a diff story, they go on search for the factors which would attract their fans n by doing that they end up doing the same re-cycled stuff again n again
now all this is giving scope to actors in south (not jus the stars), for those who want to experiment different stories
if u see closely, both in bolly n south, the low budget movies are more interesting than high budget
we  may enjoy watching high budget movies, but once u come out the theater n think what u have watched, all that u find is sets, graphics, stars with less story
n it's jus opposite with low budget ones...u can story, actors, more close to reality kind of scenes..... or a complete fiction, but still believable

n aftr saying all this, i still say that i prefer south over bolly, but i watch both