Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 months ago

Originally posted by: wat_up

silsla which I saw on tv channel where they played older movies as was curious as to why this movie was so talked about by my relatives who had seen it when it came out. Silsla was emotional cheating n some say the  story on rekha and ab sr. I mean the story in the movie wasn’t theirs but they were said to have been in some relationship till Jaya ji put her 🦶 down. And I heard he did the movie to revive his career. However at least in this movie it showed that ab n rekha were in love with each other n ab sr married Jaya as she was his older brother shashi s widow but madly into rekha so it’s not easy to get over that and to have to marry someone due to obligation. Though once they married others they should not have not indulged in extramarital relations though it was emotional then physical or just told their spouses they not into them but others. Whereas KANK seemed like one night stand that they regretted but later kjo tried to then turn it into some yash raj movie with songs which were ok but dialogues cheesy n cringe 😬 n the lame ending copying the classic ddlj. 

In Silsila, the relationship was not just emotional but physical. The only difference is that this was 1981 so you weren't about to see their actual physical relationship onscreen the way KANK did with SRK and Rani. But it was definitely not just emotional infidelity. 

Big B and Rekha's relationship was probably more sympathetic because they loved each other before marriage. He only marries Jaya because she's pregnant and alone (and this is also rather progressive for the time that Jaya and Shashi were not married but she was pregnant. So their relationship was also consummated before marriage). In fact, if you watch the scene, she basically guilts Big B into marrying her saying it's his duty as Shashi's brother to take care of her now and marry her. So it's not even that he offers where you could say his later cheating with Rekha is even more insulting because he was the one who first offered to marry Jaya. He is basically forced to marry Jaya so it's hard to feel super sorry for her that he doesn't love her back.

The original ending was supposed to be Big B and Rekha would stay together. Many speculate that Jaya only agreed to do the movie if it shows her as the winner and her marriage kept intact. I also read a quote where she apparently said that her own real life situation was going to be determined by audience reception to this movie. That if audiences want Big B and Rekha together, she will leave the marriage but if they root for her and Big B in the film, she knows she is right for keeping her marriage. This means the climax of the film doesn't make much sense with this last-minute change because Jaya is pregnant but there's nothing to indicate that Big B and Jaya would have a physical relationship especially once Rekha comes into his life. He's so madly in love with Rekha and ignores Jaya that it's impossible to believe they had been intimate recently for her to be pregnant.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: rickyproctor27

I can vouch for the above and say I was one of those who couldn't agree with/understand the movie when I watched it as a teenager in 2006. But many years later, understood the very important situational question it raises wrt relationships and infidelity.

I may be wrong but I think I read/heard Kajol saying she refused the movie because she didn't agree with the story/her character's actions.

I've heard similar stories but it's never been officially confirmed if she rejected KANK for that reason so who knows. Kjo says that he feels the film would have been better received with Kajol because audiences would be able to accept SRK and Kajol together due to the public's love for them, regardless of an affair. 

I've also heard Kajol said no to KANK because she had signed for Fanaa instead. So I don't know if she was already locked into Fanaa and couldn't say yes to KANK or if she was offered both at the same time and specifically chose Fanaa. Aamir however bloated about how Kajol chose him over SRK and KJo.

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I've heard similar stories but it's never been officially confirmed if she rejected KANK for that reason so who knows. Kjo says that he feels the film would have been better received with Kajol because audiences would be able to accept SRK and Kajol together due to the public's love for them, regardless of an affair. 

I've also heard Kajol said no to KANK because she had signed for Fanaa instead. So I don't know if she was already locked into Fanaa and couldn't say yes to KANK or if she was offered both at the same time and specifically chose Fanaa. Aamir however bloated about how Kajol chose him over SRK and KJo.

I think kajol was wise on doing the movie with Amir because I don’t think her base would like her doing this role. 

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

Yeah, it is right that KANK was something special in Germany...

What was also very interesting: there were a lot of debates in Indian TV about KANK (including discussions with KJo and SRK).

It was very unfortunate, that KJo cut out very important scenes.

Those scenes should have stayed in. SRK's sorry, thank you at the end when he's reunited with Rani doesn't make sense when the early scene of Rani teaching him to be a better person and say sorry, thank you to strangers has been cut out. 

Similarly SRK teaching Rani to be less germaphobic and touch trash. In Mitwaa she imagines cleaning the ketchup (or whatever it was) off his cheek so that works better if we see SRK help her learn to be less rigid before. Both of those scenes were necessary to show how Dev and Maya help each other learn to be better people.

Another major scene is Preity coming to her son Arjun's football game. The whole movie has SRK complain that Preity never shows up to her son's matches so finally she does show up and cheer him on. It makes the breakup of their marriage more tragic because Preity is putting family first and we see Arjun finally win a match for his father. Plus Preity's line that SRK is the best father and best husband in the world juxtaposed with Big B being taken to hospital and Abhishek needing Rani more than ever.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

I think it was the first time that SRK really was irked how Karan handled the editing of the movie...and somehow damaged not only the narrative but also his role in it.

I also think that KJo damaged the MNIK- movie which had - on more than one level - the potential to go to the Oscars...again against what certainly had been discussed.

Except for the Dharma production "We are Family" (released also in 2010), Kajol didn't work with KJo again, until now...(it was, btw., then, that Sidharth Malhotra had worked with KJo as a trainee assistant director - and Varun as assistant director).

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

I think it was the first time that SRK really was irked how Karan handled the editing of the movie...and somehow damaged not only the narrative but also his role in it.

I also think that KJo damaged the MNIK- movie which had - on more than one level - the potential to go to the Oscars...again against what certainly had been discussed.

Except for the Dharma production "We are Family" (released also in 2010), Kajol didn't work with KJo again, until now...(it was, btw., then, that Sidharth Malhotra had worked with KJo as a trainee assistant director - and Varun as assistant director).

I'm less familiar with the production history of MNIK. What did Kjo did to the final film to hurt it and are there any deleted scenes that you're referring to? I heard India didn't even choose it as their representative for the Oscars that year. Which was a silly mistake because after Slumdog Millionaire, there was a lot of awareness for this film especially since it dealt so deeply with American culture post-9/11. 

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/srk-deserved-an-oscar-for-my-name-is-khan-paulo-coelho/articleshow/57109340.cms?from=mdr

This author even said that SRK deserved an Oscar for his performance. 

It didn't dawn on me that Kajol hasn't worked with KJo since 2010. She did do the cameo in SOTY but nothing else, so I wonder if that means she was also upset with something about how MNIK turned out. There were several years before their feud where she could have worked with him but didn't minus the SOTY cameo, so perhaps something was off even then.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

SRK warned KJo about the extended Wilhelmina-sequence (during the hurricane) that it would damage the movie (which it did)....There had also been better research work about US-American behaviour that should have been done...the US-Americans got a quite one-sided treatment (which wasn't okay).

MNIK had the potential to try to go to the Oscars like RRR did - as a regular movie and not as an Indian contribution to the foreign section. (The reception at the Berlinale suggested that.)

The movie had themes that went beyond the Indian space...especially the Asperger syndrome facilitating a view on prejudices in general.... and the idea of Rizwan telling the US president that although his name is Khan he isn't a terrorist was simply gorgeous but the execution had flaws (instead of the 2nd Wilhelmina other possibilities should have been explored...the 1st stay although had been quite nice.)

In addition, Kajol's role got shortened.

Yet music and lyrics had been top notch. Also the supporting roles had been very good.

Yes, there are some deleted scenes one can find on YouTube...

Edited by Clochette - 3 months ago
Stone-Cold thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Winner Pardes

Risk The Unusual on Tumblr

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

SRK warned KJo about the extended Wilhelmina-sequence (during the hurricane) that it would damage the movie (which it did)....There had also been better research work about US-American behaviour that should have been done...the US-Americans got a quite one-sided treatment (which wasn't okay).

MNIK had the potential to try to go to the Oscars like RRR did - as a regular movie and not as an Indian contribution to the foreign section. (The reception at the Berlinale suggested that.)

The movie had themes that went beyond the Indian space...especially the Asperger syndrome facilitating a view on prejudices in general.... and the idea of Rizwan telling the US president that although his name is Khan he isn't a terrorist was simply gorgeous but the execution had flaws (instead of the 2nd Wilhelmina other possibilities should have been explored...the 1st stay although had been quite nice.)

In addition, Kajol's role got shortened.

Yet music and lyrics had been top notch. Also the supporting roles had been very good.

Yes, there are some deleted scenes one can find on YouTube...

I remember now you told me this before. I do remember that the hurricane sequence did drag a little in the second half, but I suppose that sequence was supposed to show the inherent humanity and how in times of crises, it doesn't matter what religion or ethnicity you are. I don't remember ever feeling that the movie was too biased against Americans. I'm guessing for a lot of people who were harassed and discriminated against, they probably felt it was an accurate portrayal of the post 9/11 environment in the US. I do remember being shocked that Kajol's son was actually killed off.

I could see MNIK being nominated at the Oscars outside of the foreign language film category. I don't know if SRK could have netted an Oscar nomination, because it is very rare for Asian actors to get nominations (let alone wins) for performances in foreign language films. People brought this up for Slumdog Millionaire and Parasite as well that even though both won Best Film, none of the actors got acting nominations at the Oscars. SRK probably would have had a better chance getting a BAFTA nomination since they're more receptive to nominating Asian actors for foreign language performances as Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi both got acting nominations for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. That's another film that didn't get any acting nominations at the Oscars.

I didn't realize Kajol's role was shortened either. I know a lot of people say her MNIK Filmfare win wasn't deserving (which I don't agree with) but I wonder if their claims have more merit based on her performance being edited out. Especially if she had more scenes cut from the second half of the movie because she does drop out of the film's main plot for the subplot then. That could explain why neither she nor SRK have worked with KJo since, personal issues aside. Especially since SRK had problems with both KANK and MNIK, so two films in a row.

sulu82 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

In Silsila, choices for the main original female leads for the movie were Parvin Babi and Smita Patil. 

Finally, Mera Arjun jeet gaya. smiley40