Purple5 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 3 months ago

Shakal se hi psycho dikhta hai 

Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3

Interesting write-up on Vanga.

It is no condemnation of Sandeep Vanga Reddy to call him a 'talented adolescent.'

Orson Welles was seen as a talented adolescent before he proved himself to be among the 20th century's greatest artists, and Ram Gopal Varma (Sandeep Vanga Reddy's current ideological benefactor) was Hindi Cinema's leading enfant terrible before he proved himself to be a talented adolescent.

If I have a gripe with Vanga Reddy, it's that he, despite the deck being stacked in his favour, seems content in keeping to his category.

He is content in throwing at us gobbets, among them his protagonist's puffy look and his undergarment woes, and presenting them as illustrations of some outdated Hobbesian theory about man and his jungle instincts.

He is content in quoting lines from classics out of context -- such as The Godfather Part II's 'If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone' -- and thereby draining them of their emotional power.

For somebody who takes quite an ironic view of movie violence (he's clearly not as simple-minded as Rajamouli or an empty muckraker like Vetrimaaran), Vanga Reddy also believes that styling Ranbir Kapoor as some sort of a Christ Figure and having him dish out bloody justice to a rousing war cry is a surefire way of getting the heterosexual Indian man of 2023 to fall in love with an actor whose fan-base up until now was majorly female.

I get it that SVR wishes to walk between good taste and spontaneously felt pleasure, but in Animal, he gets so lost in anticipating his followers' applause and out-booing his critics that he stops observing his characters and stops hearing what they have to tell him. And this double-consciousness of his makes the film logy and exhausting, and it has the effect of muddling his 'not insubstantial' craft.

And so, hardly anybody who steps out of Animal would remember that inspired shot of Ranbir grooving to a psychedelic version of Dil Hai Chhota Sa, his expert manipulation of a gang of bushy beefcakes, or the toothy smile that he flashes when teased about Tripti Dimri.

In these passing instances, Vanga Reddy is a shrewd observer of behavioral asides, is curiously romantic, and when I thought about these instances later, it came to me once again that an artist of some perception is being held captive by a talented yet tiresome adolescent.

https://m.rediff.com/movies/special/sreehari-nair-movies-i-watched-in-2023/20231227.htm?pos=top_morelike

Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cpt.DudleySmith

Interesting write-up on Vanga.

.... his undergarment woes, and presenting them as illustrations of some outdated Hobbesian theory about man and his jungle instincts....

...And this double-consciousness of his makes the film logy and exhausting, and it has the effect of muddling his 'not insubstantial' craft.

Undergarment waala merko bhi weird laga tha, lekin I got it jab usne ek interview mein explain kiya ki uska bada bhai jo US mein settled hai woh India ke detergent ko gaali deta tha. Usse inspire hoke daala. And it's actually true! India ke detergents bahargaon ke kapdon ki maa c$$d dete hain. smiley36

I know yeh subjective hai, lekin mere liye pichchar ekdum perfect thi 👌🫶 

Stree ke baad first time koi Hindi pichchar aayi jisko theater mein dekhke dil khush ho gaya... 

Animal Park apan FDFS jaayenga smiley40

Bekind thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

He could start his own podcast/radio where he talks 24/7smiley36and play his movie songs