Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 months ago

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Neerja. Wonderful film and so heartbreaking. Every actor in that film was at their best, even Sonam who genuinely impressed me. Would have given her the Filmfare that year.

Sarbjit is my next choice. Another biopic and another one that is heartrending but a must-watch because the public needs to be educated on stories like this. 

Thats a pretty LAME sell for a commercial/mianstream movie. People can watch documentaries to be educated

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: CrimeMasterToto

Thats a pretty LAME sell for a commercial/mianstream movie. People can watch documentaries to be educated

I think Rani said it best in the latest roundtable discussion when she said she choose the script for Mrs. Chatterjee because the script emotionally moved her. It shocked and horrified her when she realized this was a real story and she had never known about it. She wondered what she was doing at the time when this story was going on and what was more important to her back then. She felt this was a story that, if she didn't know about, others wouldn't either and it was a must-have story to share with the public. Films are primarily done for entertainment, which Sarbjit does, but they can educate and teach as well if done correctly and mixed with the entertaining aspect.

CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I think Rani said it best in the latest roundtable discussion when she said she choose the script for Mrs. Chatterjee because the script emotionally moved her. It shocked and horrified her when she realized this was a real story and she had never known about it. She wondered what she was doing at the time when this story was going on and what was more important to her back then. She felt this was a story that, if she didn't know about, others wouldn't either and it was a must-have story to share with the public. Films are primarily done for entertainment, which Sarbjit does, but they can educate and teach as well if done correctly and mixed with the entertaining aspect.

This makes sense - wanting to tell a story the director and write are passionate about has to be the primary motivation. Trying to "educate the audience" on these stories on the other hand usually ends up with a drab, preachy and boring product. There is a fine line between the two.