Misuse of power and unhealthy power dynamics

Tani16 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 months ago

Virat- Sai:

Virat, an IPS officer belonging to an affluent family marries a 18 year old girl fresh out of high school ostensibly for "protection" and to take responsibility. He did that to fulfill his promise to his dying mentor. We saw Virat as an idealistic, dashing hero on the police field. He is ethical and has morals: he respects women, is brave and is everything an IPS officer should be. But he is completely different at home- he has no sense of right or wrong, no sense of justice, unable to understand emotional manipulation or psychology. This transfers over to his official life when he consistently misuses his position and powers to let criminals go free, becomes increasingly hypocritical and becomes a yes man to his family's and precious Pakhi's desires. 

I see a similar case for Ishaan-Savi:

Ishaan is a highly regarded educator and inspiring teacher. He is a favorite of his students and he does not differentiate between girl and boy students. But in case of Savi due to his blind hatred for his mother, he becomes unethical and illogical. He already has a misogynistic view, but I can see makers degrading him further to incite more drama. 

Both couples have a 10 year age difference, both couples have power imbalance with the man being much older and successful and wealthier than the woman. The man has the support of the whole family who is also toxic and orthodox. The women who do become professionally accomplished are supposed to fall in love with these men and stay with them no matter how much they are mentally and emotionally tortured because in Sai's case, she was an orphan and in Savi's case she has no family support. And the fact that these two men belong to elite careers, have had elite educations and have been brought up in family money- they also know the textbook definitions of broad mindedness, gender equality and freedom but can never implement in their own homes and relationships. How can Virat be called a good IPS officer when he constantly broke laws, and supported his family's illegal behavior? How can Ishaan be called a great teacher by girls? Will he advice his female students to not pursue careers after college and just get married? Will he tell them to give up their careers for their husbands and children? That's exactly what he did with Reeva. 

I understand that this is a fictional show and teachers, professors and IPS officers can also be narrow minded and small minded. They are also hypocrites. But in a country like India that suffers from great gender parity where less girls are educated than boys, where girls are not encouraged to pursue their careers and passions in lieu of marriage and family- this is sending such a dangerous message. In previous season, they showed no consequences or redemption for Virat's horrendous actions. I hope they do it for Ishaan. I want him to realize gradually, why his mother left and how his family is toxic. But I have zero hopes from this PH. They highlight a lot of important social issues-but only to create drama not for anyone to actually improve. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shinesparkle3 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

The ridiculous part is people defending ishaan's stand about women. 

They blame Isha for leaving him and for his current behaviour because according to them no mother would leave her child at any cost and his toxicity at the age of 30 is due to his mother who never met him for the past 20 years. 🤷🤷

They never think otherwise. She too loved him more than he did. How helpless they might have made her feel that she had no option other than walking out. They never think of all the threatening, defamation, and insults in the name of family reputation his mother might have faced that she chose to leave. 

Edited by Shinesparkle3 - 8 months ago
moonwearer thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Wonderful comparison love your take . Virat was blinded to his family's wrong doings. In a sense he was happy in his state and didn't see anything amiss. Ishaan is hurting within and his thought process has  been fed slow poison initially with reference to his mother now Savi and his father as well. Unlike Virat Ishaan is said to have an ethical compass that AkkaSahib has been unable to dent. The moment the veil of deceit by his uncle's and Aunt is lifted I think he will see sense. That I think will take forever.

kavitha_r thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

@Tani16

Good post. Virat misused his powers on many occasions. Virat is a good IPS officer oursede the house but a different person at home. 

Virat was quick to believe that Pulkit married someone else and is cheating on Devyani, but it was his family who got Pulkit kidnapped and tampered his records. Even after knowing the truth he left Omi scot free.

Pakhi also told him directly to leave Sai at the coffee shop and move on with her. Still he never brought that to light before his family.

Forgot about manipulations, he didn't bother to do the needful. Even after Sai confessed her love for Virat, he never bothered to investigate on illegal surrogacy. It was Sai who did that. 

Virat gave into the manipulation of his matriarch aunt and bailed out Pakhi.

The Ishvi track is going like SAAKH. But Ishaan is worse than Shourya. He is  egoistic and a cry baby. He thinks only he, akkasaheb, and kakasaheb is right.  On one hand he talks about women empowerment and student empowerment, but is crude and rude to Savi because of his blind hatred for his mother. 

WildestDreams thumbnail

Comparison with S1 and/or other shows not allowed as per rules.

Topic closed

Regards

GHKPM DT