Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

samarp2 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Most Posts (May 2024) 1 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Kavita99

I dont know. Twitter pr ese hi ghoom rhi thi mila padha i liked it so thought to share. 

Ohh ok

Everything that Meera Gopalakrishnan observes about Raghav is true - except that Raghav has never looked "serene" as far as I remember, and how Raghav would react to Pallavi being pregnant is speculation, not observation. Yet I am shocked to read that Raghav is an improvement over other male leads in her ten years of viewing experience.

In the few daily dramas that I've followed (Marathi), these are such ordinary virtues. Every male lead repents, but most haven't actually done anything wrong.

Shiva on Jiv Jhala Yeda Pisa was self-made, and all of the male leads other than Shiva were shown at work: Abhimanyu on Sundara Manamadhe Bharali is an engineer at construction sites; Ranvijay on Tujhyat Jiv Guntala was a farmer; Indraneel on Nanda Saukhya Bhare was a software engineer; Shree on Honar Sun Mi Hya Gharchi was in charge of a food products company founded by his grandmother. None of them earned money dishonestly like Raghav (although Shiva committed violence and torture), and yet, all of these male leads except Indraneel were actively engaged in the welfare of their communities. Shree funded charities; Ranvijay promoted organic farming; Shiva brought working people out of poverty; Abhimanyu is building a sports academy in his village.

Every show followed the gender/class stereotype that the female lead marries into a wealthier household of the male lead. However, unlike Raghav, who refers to himself as "Raghav Rao" to insist that Kirti should have this or Pallavi will pay for that, none of these families made much of their name or status, except Indraneel's mother Lalita whose pretentions to landownership were comedic.

Every one of these leads spoke his mind - without silencing the other characters in a scene as Raghav does. Other than Shiva, who blindly worshipped a politician who repeatedly showed him how fake she was, they weren't fools. Shiva pampered his mother because she had suffered in poverty, but he never let her degrade his wife. Indraneel didn't know about his parents' scams, but they were never able to drive Swanandi away because he always maintained communication with her. Ranvijay's sister-in-law tried to manipulate him because he was illiterate, but he knew better than to trust her, and only deferred to her for the sake of family harmony. Shree knew that his stepmother-in-law was mean and greedy, but he was too decent to make an issue of it. As for Abhimanyu, he has never been deceived by anybody.

Not one of these male leads believed lies about the female lead to the extent that Raghav has maligned Pallavi. Apart from Shiva, who drugged, abducted, and unlawfully confined Siddhi for a whole day and night, raised his hand to almost hit her, and burned her prized books, these male leads wouldn't dream of intimidating or trying to ruin anybody. Never mind demanding sex or unwanted touching, none of these male leads would behave the way Raghav did when Pallavi told him not to hook her blouse and he reached around her anyway, nor would they trespass in anyone's house up to a woman's bedroom door to hear her ask for a pin. On any Marathi show that I've seen, it would be unthinkable for the male lead to tell anyone that he has enjoyed a woman's sexual favours, let alone show photographs. So, if non-molestation is the bar, Raghav clears it barely, but should we really set it so low?

P.S.: I find this Rāma/Rāvaṇa dichotomy meaningless for analysis of original characters. The name Raghav Rao (or in Lion's voice, Rowghov Row) is alliteratively catchy, nothing more.

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 2 years ago
Kavita99 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

I think she is talking about hindi shows only. 

joliefemme thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Everything that Meera Gopalakrishnan observes about Raghav is true - except that Raghav has never looked "serene" as far as I remember, and how Raghav would react to Pallavi being pregnant is speculation, not observation. Yet I am shocked to read that Raghav is an improvement over other male leads in her ten years of viewing experience.

In the few daily dramas that I've followed (Marathi), these are such ordinary virtues. Every male lead repents, but most haven't actually done anything wrong.

Shiva on Jiv Jhala Yeda Pisa was self-made, and all of the male leads other than Shiva were shown at work: Abhimanyu on Sundara Manamadhe Bharali is an engineer at construction sites; Ranvijay on Tujhyat Jiv Guntala was a farmer; Indraneel on Nanda Saukhya Bhare was a software engineer; Shree on Honar Sun Mi Hya Gharchi was in charge of a food products company founded by his grandmother. None of them earned money dishonestly like Raghav (although Shiva committed violence and torture), and yet, all of these male leads except Indraneel were actively engaged in the welfare of their communities. Shree funded charities; Ranvijay promoted organic farming; Shiva brought working people out of poverty; Abhimanyu is building a sports academy in his village.

Every show followed the gender/class stereotype that the female lead marries into a wealthier household of the male lead. However, unlike Raghav, who refers to himself as "Raghav Rao" to insist that Kirti should have this or Pallavi will pay for that, none of these families made much of their name or status, except Indraneel's mother Lalita whose pretentions to landownership were comedic.

Every one of these leads spoke his mind - without silencing the other characters in a scene as Raghav does. Other than Shiva, who blindly worshipped a politician who repeatedly showed him how fake she was, they weren't fools. Shiva pampered his mother because she had suffered in poverty, but he never let her degrade his wife. Indraneel didn't know about his parents' scams, but they were never able to drive Swanandi away because he always maintained communication with her. Ranvijay's sister-in-law tried to manipulate him because he was illiterate, but he knew better than to trust her, and only deferred to her for the sake of family harmony. Shree knew that his stepmother-in-law was mean and greedy, but he was too decent to make an issue of it. As for Abhimanyu, he has never been deceived by anybody.

Not one of these male leads believed lies about the female lead to the extent that Raghav has maligned Pallavi. Apart from Shiva, who drugged, abducted, and unlawfully confined Siddhi for a whole day and night, raised his hand to almost hit her, and burned her prized books, these male leads wouldn't dream of intimidating or trying to ruin anybody. Never mind demanding sex or unwanted touching, none of these male leads would behave the way Raghav did when Pallavi told him not to hook her blouse and he reached around her anyway, nor would they trespass in anyone's house up to a woman's bedroom door to hear her ask for a pin. On any Marathi show that I've seen, it would be unthinkable for the male lead to tell anyone that he has enjoyed a woman's sexual favours, let alone show photographs. So, if non-molestation is the bar, Raghav clears it barely, but should we really set it so low?

P.S.: I find this Rāma/Rāvaṇa dichotomy meaningless for analysis of original characters. The name Raghav Rao (or in Lion's voice, Rowghov Row) is alliteratively catchy, nothing more.

It is not fair to compare Raghav with a male lead of a Marathi shows. The audience is completely different and hence the characterization changes to cater to the audience. Initially Raghav was to play a roadside gunda but they made him a businessman so that they get audience acceptance. If you can give some examples of ITV shows, I'd love to hear about some great written characters.

All the points brought out by the Twitter post is directly comparing the male leads of ITv and Raghav Rao in indeed exemplary. He's written so well despite having grey attribute, he's imperfectly perfect. I'm not saying that he's the best coz there are a few who were good as well but Raghav is brand.

Kavita99 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: joliefemme

It is not fair to compare Raghav with a male lead of a Marathi shows. The audience is completely different and hence the characterization changes to cater to the audience. Initially Raghav was to play a roadside gunda but they made him a businessman so that they get audience acceptance. If you can give some examples of ITV shows, I'd love to hear about some great written characters.

All the points brought out by the Twitter post is directly comparing the male leads of ITv and Raghav Rao in indeed exemplary. He's written so well despite having grey attribute, he's imperfectly perfect. I'm not saying that he's the best coz there are a few who were good as well but Raghav is brand.

well said.