IPL Cricket And The Associated Controversies

Viswasruti thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

The coronavirus disease, Covid pandemic forced the world’s population to alter daily routines, including recreational events. This unusual situation has physical, psychological, and behavioral consequences on all individuals, including the elite and the playing athletes. Life in lockdown has been difficult because everyone has to stay safe and healthy, while at the same time abiding by new norms.

This IPL brought great relief to our living rooms to divert our attention from disease and death for a few moments, for that we must be thankful to the organizers and players. 

Here are a few more controversies that involved a few players as well as organizers in the past! -- 

Slide 9 of 20: Bollywood actor and Indian Premier League franchise Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner Shah Rukh Khan (R) gestures as a security guard blows a whistle and directs kids accompanying him off the playing field after the IPL Twenty20 cricket match between Mumbai

Shah Rukh Khan Wankhede ban (2012)

The Bollywood star and Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner was involved in an altercation with security guards at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai after his side's win over the Mumbai Indians. Khan was accused of walking into the field after the game and abusing the officials. Mumbai Cricket Association banned Khan from entering the stadium for five years, but revoked it in 2015.

Virat Kohli-Gautam Gambhir spat (2013)

Slide 13 of 20: Kolkata Knight Riders captain  Gautam Gambhir congratulates Royal Challengers Bangalore captain Virat Kohli (L) for winning the match after the 2016 Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 cricket match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Ba

Things went a bit too far when in 2013, Kohli charged at Gambhir after the latter purportedly gave him a send-off. Remarks were exchanged, and Delhi player Rajat Bhatia had to pacify the duo. Things were, however, much calmer when the duo met in the 2016 edition (pictured).

Sahara pulls Pune Warriors out (2013)

Pune Warriors owner Sahara Adventure Sports Ltd announced its withdrawal from the IPL in the controversy-marred year. The move came after BCCI decided to encash Sahara's bank guarantee after it failed to pay the full franchise fee for the year.

First signs of spot-fixing (2012)

Acting on a sting operation conducted by a news channel, the then BCCI President N Srinivasan handed a life ban to medium pacer TP Sudhindra and a five-year ban to fast-medium bowler Shalabh Srivastava (pictured). Three others – batsmen Mohnish Mishra and Abhinav Bali and all-rounder Amit Yadav – were banned for a year. All five were involved in a spot-fixing scandal.

Rahul Sharma, Wayne Parnell test positive for drugs (2012)

Pune Warriors' Rahul Sharma (pictured-L) and Wayne Parnell were detained in Mumbai when the police raided a rave party. The duo tested positive for recreational drugs, however, they were soon released and didn't face any ban from their franchises.

Luke Pomersbach arrested over molestation charges (2012)

The Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) batsman was arrested in New Delhi over a complaint of molestation filed by a U.S. woman, who also claimed that the Australian player had beaten up her fiancé when he tried to intervene. RCB suspended Pomersbach pending inquiry, but all charges were later dropped after the complainants withdrew the case.

Slide 12 of 20: MUMBAI, INDIA - APRIL 18, 2009: IPL2 - Mumbai bowler Lasith Malinga bowls during the match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai in the IPL T20 tournament at Newlands ground, Cape Town (Photo by Santosh Harhare/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

Sri Lankan cricketers banned from Chennai (2013)

The 2013 season of IPL didn't feature a single Sri Lankan player or match official for any game in Chennai, as the then Tamil Nadu government deemed it was unsafe for them to stay in the city. The decision was taken amid political tensions over the treatment of Tamils in Sri Lanka.

kochi Tuskers terminated (2011)

The franchise made its debut in 2011, but was terminated the same year after it failed to furnish its bank guarantee by the stipulated date, March 26.

Mitchell Starc-Kieron Pollard altercation (2014)

Sparks flew when RCB's Mitchell Starc followed his bouncer to Mumbai Indians’ Kieron Pollard (pictured) with a few choice words during a game. Next ball, Pollard pulled out of his stance, but Starc didn't abort his run-up and instead threw the ball at Pollard. Pollard responded by hurling his bat at Starc, and it took the umpires and Chris Gayle to separate the duo. Pollard was fined 75 percent while Starc lost 50 percent of his match fee.

Slide 20 of 20: India Pakistan Cricket - Mar 2005 Workers Drag Watering Hoses Across the Cricket Ground to Water the Pitch at the Ferozshah Kotla Stadium in New Delhi India On Tuesday 22 March 2005 Ahead of the Sixth One-day International Match Between India and Pakista

IPL moved out of Maharashtra (2016)

Acting on a Public Interest Litigation by an NGO, the Bombay High Court directed BCCI to shift all IPL matches, scheduled after April 30, outside the state. The court stated that due to the drought conditions in the state of Maharashtra, the use of water for maintaining cricket pitches was a waste. The state missed 13 matches, including the final.

Edited by Viswasruti - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Thank you for sharing this controversies Madhu❤️

Edited by SoniRSippu21 - 3 years ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: SoniRSippu21

Thank you for sharing this controversies Madhu. 

Right now in india, tweets are being made regarding why IPL is happening when India is in huge crisis. That should be the topic that I really want to see people discussing about. 

Any thoughts?

For me IPL is bringing smiles to everyone faces during crisis, a distraction but many ppl in tweets are saying all this money should have been saved for crisis. 

Soni dear, without touching that topic how can I move forward? 🤗 

Please read the first few lines in this same post. 

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Soni dear, without touching that topic how can I move forward? 🤗 

Please read the first few lines in this same post. 

I reread it. Thanks will leave this topic😃

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: SoniRSippu21

I reread it. Thanks will leave this topic😃

I felt very happy, you've raised a very vital point to ponder dear. 🤗

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

I felt very happy, you've raised a very vital point to ponder dear. 🤗

I keep seeing it in SM and so many people having so many thoughts anyways.