Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Charaiveti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: 4thPrincoholic

It really doesn't make sense why so many hateful people ... esp southern US .. Have read about Texas multiple times! ... It's just bizarre how so many such incidents have been happening last few years yet no firm action or even talk of form action?! ... đŸ˜”

Didn't the south fiught in favour of slavery in the civil war? 

Novarieaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

" Guns don't kill people, people do"  is probably most repeated Fox news narrative Lmao. 

Guns DO kill people and hence so many people are killed every year in US. Australia banned guns ages ago and the rate of mass shooting is close to nil now. One can't control people, their violent mindset and hence guns should be difficult to get hold of. If you can't handle fire arms, which unlike a knife, can kill many people in a shorter time span, sorry you don't deserve one. When vetting is not allowed before handing out guns, by the repubs you know that it's not about safety, people or constitution, it is the money that speaks. Period. 

Edited by Myer - 4 years ago
Sanskruthi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Well the entire constitution of USA is based on personal liberty and communal rights that aint under any state council's discern... So basically the democrats there believe they have right to yield gun.

~*sindhu*~ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

What happens to these people btw? What kind of punishment do they get? 

The_Best thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: CriticusExpert

Because the USA has a constitution that is the law of the land, more than presidents, supreme court judges or powerful people.  The Constitution is the rule no matter what or who is in power.  The sage founding fathers wrote the constitution with many rules, regulations all put in place to protect the people, The Bill of right is the first ten amendments and perhaps the most  clear definitions of what USA citizens have a right to expect.  Of the ten, the second amendment is one of the most important of all, which is the right of every citizen to bear arms.  They did this to protect the people from outsiders as well as domestics who may try to change the law of the land by force and enslave people.  Without the 2nd all the other rights would easily be taken and gone in case of a dictatorship, because the people would have no way to defend themselves.  Like I said the founding fathers were geniuses who wanted to ensure a free and democratic country for ever.   That is why weapons are not banned.  Guns do not kill people, people kill people, criminals will find a way to have illegal weapons, while innocent civilians have no way to protect themselves.  Americans consider it a right and a privilege and trying to take them by force would amount to a civil war.

Democrats want to turn USA to another NY where it’s impossible to get guns or another Chicago where despite having strict gun control, it has the highest shootings every week yet nothing is being done to stop it. But one shooting in Texas is all over the news, but these biased media ignore their gun controlled heaven Chicago’s shootings because obviously it doesn’t fit the narrative they want to push. If gun control would’ve worked, it would worked in their Chicago. Just yesterday more than 20 people have been shot and 8 have died in Chicago. The media conveniently ignore Chicago mass shootings happening everyday there like a norm despite having one of the strictest gun control laws there. The only thing I agree with gun control is the universal background checks before giving guns to anyone which is common sense. The rest of gun control is nonsense. It’s not gun control democrats want. It’s the control they want and the votes they seek. 

Edited by The_Best - 4 years ago
anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Charaiveti

but there's a reason this stuff happens so frequently in USA n not other countries. Mass shootings by ordinary people is not even a thing in most countries. Terrorists n goon attacks r different. In US most mass shooters r individual hateful people. 

Exactly, so maybe that's why they need counseling from a young age probably.... A more healthy environment... maybe

As for old guns, maybe police need to check every gun holder and see how his environment is, is he likely to go psycho in near future.... I know this sounds harsh but to save hundreds of innocent lives, this seems possible

And for new sale and licenses what they can do is ask for a mental health certificate...

I am sure they can implement all this, if they want...

Btw, constitution giving a right to own gun to protect yourself is never safe for the society imo. Rather the target should be to create a safe society that people won't need a gun...

Edited by anjs - 4 years ago
Charaiveti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: anjs

Exactly, so maybe that's why they need counseling from a young age probably.... A more healthy environment... maybe

As for old guns, maybe police need to check every gun holder and see how his environment is, is he likely to go psycho in near future.... I know this sounds harsh but to save hundreds of innocent lives, this seems possible

And for new sale and licenses what they can do is ask for a mental health certificate...

I am sure they can implement all this, if they want...

Btw, constitution giving a right to own gun to protect yourself is never safe for the society imo. Rather the target should be to create a safe society that people won't need a gun...

exactly. Availability of guns need to be stricter. It's not normal that a school going kid is getting handle of a gun. In India no kid would be able to get a gun,unless their parents r in something defense related n hasn't kept their guns properly locked. Teachers in US r having to go through drills about getting a bullet out from a wounded person, that should not be a teacher's job training. 

Edited by Charaiveti - 4 years ago
Justwatching thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

When I was in USA, my kids schools were having drill where they would sound an alarm and the kids were required to rush inside the nearest classroom and hide under the desks...

The classroom doors were to be locked all the time and windows drawn. In California, most of the elementary schools have an open plan. Since the weather there allows, the whole premises isn't covered. Like there are open verandas and corridors. But now keeping the number of shootings in mind, the newer schools are being built where whole school will be enclosed...

People are so strung and on the edge that near by kids school there was a man in a hoodie and they put the whole school under lockdown, police force came and all... it was just a bystander who happened to wear a hoodie... and I literally lived in one of the safest neighborhoods...

It's crazy man... almost every week there is a news of a mass shooting...

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Charaiveti

exactly. Availability of guns need to be stricter. It's not normal that a school going kid is getting handle of a gun. In India no kid would be able to get a gun,unless their parents r in something defense related n hasn't kept their guns properly locked. Teachers in US r having to go through drills about getting a bullet out from a wounded person, that should not be a teacher's job training. 

@bold : oh god, this is really too much...

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

"Why doesn't USA ban guns?" is an open-ended question if ever there was one!

As you know, the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right in the United States. An individual’s right to own a gun for self-defense is guaranteed by the second amendment and even congress cannot infringe upon that right. At most, congress could pass legislation regarding gun control but even these small bills are tough nuts to crack!

Theoretically, it’s possible to repeal an amendment through ratification of another amendment. 2/3rd of congress (both house and senate) should pass the amendment and then 3/4th of the states (which makes it at least 38 states) should ratify that amendment. These are pretty much insurmountable numbers. But that answers the question – “can they ban guns?”

“Should they ban guns” is more of a defense vs. offense question. I can use my gun either to attack someone or resist/deter an attack from someone. US is about 3 times the size of India having 1/4th the population of India. In some states, you could own hundreds of acres of land for pretty much peanuts. Some residences could easily have tens of miles of distances between them. It’s not like you could make a phone call to the police one minute and they would appear at your doorstep in the next. Not every nook and cranny has immediate access to law enforcement forces. So, if I were to ask you whether a hypothetical old woman who lives in one of these remote places is better off owning a gun especially in the event 4 or 5 strangers with the intent to rob her place pull into her driveway after sunset, you would probably say yes. Because that’s her first line of defense and you wouldn’t deny her that. Similarly, if I were to ask you whether a person known for his/her mental health issues should own a gun, you would probably say No! How can you trust that person’s judgment, right? But here’s the kicker
should then the person with mental health issues be allowed to own a vehicle? Or, be allowed to drive a vehicle? Can’t a vehicle be used to kill people, if one is so inclined? Also, temper is such a fragile state of mind. You never know when someone snaps. Unless you can predict future, you can never tell whether the woman in my example can remain sane or not forever. She’s entitled to self-defense today but she could be a mass shooter tomorrow. Who knows what would make her snap? It could be isolation, it could be a demon possession or it could be hatred for folks who, according to her, have “wronged” her.

Surely, by now, you inferred this is a complicated issue.